May 22, 2014 @ 08:23 PM
kumonoy

So its finally time I'm about to get a car for myself. Being the inknowledgeable human being i am would you guys care enough to give me advice on general things to keep in mind. Im mostly likely getting used and idk which type of car is good for my needs. I need it for college and just generally getting around
May 22, 2014 @ 08:28 PM
We Outchea

If it can get da thots.

/thread

-We Outchea
May 22, 2014 @ 08:28 PM
Opulent

Don't buy any 2000-2007 German cars, While they're nice, you'll probably have problems down the road. Check for rust on the underside. Generally, a smaller car, if you can drive manual then that's good because some manual models of cars are cheaper in price. Check the history of the car (accidents, repairs ect.) Check tire tread so you know if you'll have to buy new tires in a bit. (if the tread is low, you can probably work the price down). I don't know what else though.
May 22, 2014 @ 08:40 PM
spamster

So its finally time I'm about to get a car for myself. Being the inknowledgeable human being i am would you guys care enough to give me advice on general things to keep in mind. Im mostly likely getting used and idk which type of car is good for my needs. I need it for college and just generally getting around
Why not find an automotive forum or something to ask this question on? Most dudes in here driving whatever cars they moms passed down to them.
May 22, 2014 @ 09:01 PM
brittneykitty

it really depend on your price range and what you want out of the car

if you dont care about looks and just want a daily driver that can get you to college and back for cheap get a honda

the front of the mazzi look like a fork dont it

May 22, 2014 @ 09:04 PM
Captain Al

what should I invest in with 3k???

tumblr: bankpaper.tumblr.com Instagram: @bankpaper

May 22, 2014 @ 09:05 PM
dior homie

Buy an s chassis shell and drop in an LS1
May 22, 2014 @ 09:18 PM
ADiKt

bimmer or nothing till porsche money b 
May 22, 2014 @ 09:52 PM
WhoIsCaesar

If its yellow and you can't afford a paint job or some wrap don't buy it.

Don't get a car you'll have to invest more money to fix than the actual cost of the car.

I hashtagged the hashtag and trademarked the trademark

May 22, 2014 @ 11:07 PM
Swag Master Flex

Get a craigslist beamer and then sink money into it duh.

Y'ALL THOUGHT IT WAS RENTED?

May 22, 2014 @ 11:19 PM
bjornvan

main 2 rules when looking for a used car.
1st.Put key in the ignition, if all lights don't come on, they more than likely tinkered with some shit to hide what ever issue the car may be having.

2st. check the vin number locations, in the hood, door, trunk,windshield etc. you can probably google all of the locations, if any of the numbers are different or they are painted over, that means the car was in a accident.

3st.Carfax.com
if you gettin a newer car, rust shouldn't be a issue and 9 times out of 10 you are going to need some new tires if you buying from private.
May 22, 2014 @ 11:25 PM
tunnelno5

A japanese car. Runs well, efficient, easy maintenance, higher resell value than others. 

http://tunnelno5.bandcamp.com http://tunnelno5.tumblr.com http://www.youtube.com/user/TUNNELNO5beats/videos http://twitter.com/tunnelno5

May 22, 2014 @ 11:36 PM
!Bang!

Insurance Bitch!
May 22, 2014 @ 11:40 PM
Opulent

A japanese car. Runs well, efficient, easy maintenance, higher resell value than others. 
Seconded.
May 22, 2014 @ 11:50 PM
ADiKt

Well hb mostly asian so they gonna say Japanese nshit. Euro or nothing dawgy 
May 23, 2014 @ 12:05 AM
tunnelno5

Euro's are nice, but don't be that guy driving a BMW or a Benz that you can't afford. A Volvo maybe, but they cost an arm and leg to repair as well. 

Yeah, I'm asian, but I also don't condone dropping K20's or SR20's in Hondas and Nissan, if you're trying to get a good car as a college student, this shit isn't Initial D bruh. 

http://tunnelno5.bandcamp.com http://tunnelno5.tumblr.com http://www.youtube.com/user/TUNNELNO5beats/videos http://twitter.com/tunnelno5

May 23, 2014 @ 12:07 AM
Opulent

Well hb mostly asian so they gonna say Japanese nshit. Euro or nothing dawgy 
European cars were best in the late 80's and 90's. While still good, they're not as tank like.

These things are literally tanks.

So are these

S14 engine is no joke.
May 23, 2014 @ 12:24 AM
Sentimental

May 23, 2014 @ 01:01 AM
Saro

I used to work at an autobody shop and went through shopping for many cars thinking that I caught everything but I actually didn't. Over time I created a checklist to keep in mind when i decide to buy another car or for my friends to use when looking at a car. Heres my checklist:

Car Checklist

Steering (Smooth steering, no noises)
Brakes (Spongy) (% Brake pads left)
E. Brake (Check if it grabs well)
Gas the car to check acceleration/abnormal noises
Tires (% Tread, have him drive the car slowly and check the tires for nails/screws stuck in the tires)
Scratches/Dents
Lights (day lights, headlights, high beams, reverse lights, brake lights, fogs, interior)
Fluids (Brake, Engine, Transmission, power steering)
Check if all buttons are functioning properly
Door Jams (Paint color to see if door jam color matches exterior color, even the slightest paint shade difference can indicate car was repainted, unless car is old and is faded by age)
Check Paint (Orange Peel, CAREFULLY inspect if any body work done)
Check for leaks under car (If pink/green its a coolant leak, if gold/brown/black its an oil leak)
Air conditioning
Heater
Fans
Idle (Check if rough)
Filters
Service Report
Parts alignment (Hood, Trunk, Fenders, Make sure gaps are even, if not it could have been in an accident)
Steering alignment (Go at least 30-40 and remove hands from steering wheel and check if it steers to L or R by itself)
Check under fenders for any body work.
Check for kinks on frame under hood.
Check for spare tire and tools to remove wheels
May 23, 2014 @ 01:03 AM
Saro

Any of those I listed above can also be used to negotiate a lower price if you decide you want the car
May 23, 2014 @ 03:21 AM
kumonoy

appreciate all your help. I'm most likely looking for a used car possibly as cheap as possible my dad told me to look at subarus. any of you guys know where to look??
May 23, 2014 @ 03:33 AM
teows

Things to take into consideration:

- # of owners the car has had
- has it been raced/used roughly
- mileage obv
- research common problems online
- if an older car, say 25+ years old, check for rusting

Just a quick list for people that haven't been wrenching all their life. Oh and always bring a friend/family member when looking at cars(especially from craigslist). They may catch something you overlook.
May 23, 2014 @ 03:35 AM
Kimo 先生

if the trunk is big enough to fit the body

http://tinyurl.com/3dln5qa

May 23, 2014 @ 04:03 AM
ADiKt

Euro's are nice, but don't be that guy driving a BMW or a Benz that you can't afford. A Volvo maybe, but they cost an arm and leg to repair as well. 

Yeah, I'm asian, but I also don't condone dropping K20's or SR20's in Hondas and Nissan, if you're trying to get a good car as a college student, this shit isn't Initial D bruh. 
O naw im keeping it simple. I got a e36 m3 vert. Coppin an e46 m3 either later this year or beginning of next. Dont really care for the new gizmos these new cars be having and plus i love me a manual transmission not autotragic 
May 23, 2014 @ 04:04 AM
backlikethat

Seconded.

I heard pre 07 accords have huge transmission issues later down the road...

I could be wrong on that year tho.
May 23, 2014 @ 07:39 PM
bronze

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1xooue/how_do_i_get_a_great_deal_on_a_car/
May 23, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
Rodney D Ellis

you should look for a car duh

fuck the internet

May 23, 2014 @ 10:59 PM
xXxUs3rN4mexXx

VVVVVVV TTTTTTTEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCC
May 23, 2014 @ 11:39 PM
NapoleonComplex

make sure the pussy magnet comes standard 

FUCK DREWBACCA | smh fuck REVS to....

May 24, 2014 @ 07:31 PM
حريق

Obviously no one knows about cars on this forums. Specially the kids pissing on german cars. 

Here's how it is: You never know what you are getting when you are buying a car. It may looks nice, but ends up running like crap. It may look like crap, but it'll be the most reliable thing on the road. Maintenance is the key on any vehicle, foreign or american. All car brands have defective cars & their problems. No car brand is perfect. 

Pros & Cons of Euro cars: 

Pros:
They typically look better than the others.
They're very reliable if maintained properly. 
They're higher quality cars overall, thus the price. 
Their name carries weight. 

Cons: 
If not maintained properly, they will cost a lot for maintenance for the next owner. 
Parts are pretty expensive if you are the average joe. 
If not maintained, they will not last long. 
Their electronic systems are very complicated.

Pros & Cons of American/jap/etc: 

Pros: 
Very reliable, even if not maintained fully. 
Parts are very cheap, even for the average joe. 
Their systems are not complicated. 
Easier to work on. 

Cons: 
You get the reliability, but not the looks. 
Their engines typically do not last as long as euro vehicles 
Interior is low quality 

It's simple. If you want an euro car, you better learn how to work on them yourself (like myself), otherwise you will get raped if anything goes wrong with them if you take them to a mechanic. Just because of the brand, they overcharge for labor & parts.

I personally own a benz. No car note, no loan, none of that bs. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET A LOAN. DO NOT LEASE. Both are designed to make you go broke & put you in debt. If you were to lose whatever source of income you have, they will repo your car & leave you with shit. The only major problems I've had with my euro is when I put a kleemann in it. I have to get my ecu re-programmed so it can run right. So for now I have the stock engine running. 

demdownvotestho

Please login first to reply.