Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
April 20, 2014 @ 04:45 AM
KingPin

what schools did you even apply to?
and like others said CC can be really good.. ex: finish all your gen ed classes for cheap and get a AA degree then transfer to whatever school u want.. only thing is dont get caught up in the shuffle cuz a lot of CCs do become like a extended HS for a lot of people who wanta feel like theyre doing something but they just end up wasting time
April 20, 2014 @ 04:51 AM
Jet Jaguar

Out of curiosity, what colleges do/did you guys attend and what were the average GPA's for admission?
I did pretty bad too 
GPA: 2.5
SAT: 1680

I barely got into Cal State Fullerton, but I'm going to be checked on a lot by counselors, and I have to live and take some classes there for 6 weeks soon after I graduate in a summer transition program. Still kind of considering CC cause of money but I think I can pay for everything with the help of my parents and a job, fafsa showed me no love.

We're all gonna make it, fambruhgini.
April 20, 2014 @ 05:13 AM
We Outchea

I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences. I am reading every single one of your comments and my outlook on CC has changed slightly in a good way. 

You guys are smart in your decisions. To those that decided to go to CC even though you got accepted into a university, it would be tough for me to do that knowing that it will take me 2 years to get to university. But in the end you guys did save a lot of money. And to those that ended up at a better school, I salute yall too. 

To answer where I applied to, I live in Illinois and applied to most of the public universities. 
April 20, 2014 @ 05:20 AM
petrol

slacked hard in hs. grad with a 2.4 gpa. went through cc, transferred to mizzou after getting my AS in accounting. still here

cost is definitely a plus. for all 5 semesters in cc, didn't pay a single dime out of pocket.
April 20, 2014 @ 05:47 AM
jafeel

Thanks for the advice everyone. I didn't think about the money I would save going to CC. I guess I was so wrapped up in the idea of University life. But in the end, I don't deserve to go to a real college yet. Hearing that CC was just an extension of HS bummed me out too. 

To person that asked what major I applied for, I applied as undecided. 

And to those that are wondering how/why I did so poorly, I BS'd around and didn't take school seriously until the end. You guys can imagine what my GPA was like prior to senior year. Definitely a huge lesson to learn from.

Out of curiosity, what colleges do/did you guys attend and what were the average GPA's for admission?
Got into Georgetown, USC, Wake Forest and wait listed at vanderbilt and denied at Duke.

But like everyone said OP, go to CC and transfer two years later. I knew many kids that fucked around during high school and didn't get accepted into any colleges and had to take the CC route, but they're now doing well at state schools. The key to their success was that they KNEW they fucked up in high school and had to change for the better or they'll be stuck with a shitty future and worked their ass off in CC. Doing shitty in high school isn't the best situation carrying into CC but don't let that hold you back because you can def change your future. That last sentence sounded mad corny but its true; it all depends on how hard you want it and the work you put into it.

Good luck OP
April 20, 2014 @ 06:05 AM
CODEINE

this thread got mad potential considering most of HB is comprised of highschoolers

https://soundcloud.com/lidogotsongs/yung-lean-gatorade-lido-remix

April 20, 2014 @ 04:15 PM
offensive-commenter

yeah uhhhh i'll take a large number 3 and 20 mcnuggets please.
April 20, 2014 @ 04:57 PM
It's Only Hype

I got a dumb friend that did CC and transferred out to UCLA. I'm like shit, if he did that anything is possible
April 20, 2014 @ 05:01 PM
bootynuggets

You have another chance at CC so work your ass off.

I did pretty bad my HS years

GPA 3.0 
SAT: 1600

and I had to go to a mediocre college (Towson) 

but I worked my ass off there and just got accepted to UMD this past week.
is towson really that bad? i kinda wanted to apply there, and congrats on getting into UMD.

I produce with a friend for fun. https://soundcloud.com/kopm

April 20, 2014 @ 05:23 PM
veryrvre

I have a serious Q brethren, so I had a bad gpa freshmen and sophmore year :2.5ish but now it is around a 3 if not higher. I also got 28 on the act. will I be able to get into a good state school 
edit: my cumulative is not 3 it is only around 3 for this junior year

April 20, 2014 @ 05:38 PM
cheyaaa

it's no big deal. go to CC, do well and transfer after 2 years.

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

April 20, 2014 @ 05:59 PM
Hypnosis

I dropped out of high school

Got ged

And now have a 4 year degree

U mad
in what nigga? theatre? or did you go to really non-prestigious school that aint even on the radar. cmon b who u frontin. aint nothing to be proud of ur mediocre degree. u bullshittin if u say u got a degree in something higher than digital arts
April 20, 2014 @ 05:59 PM
malik58

suspended

yeah uhhhh i'll take a large number 3 and 20 mcnuggets please.
LOL smile

snapchat ;) malikk58 send me dirty pics :hah: :seanshrug:

April 20, 2014 @ 08:26 PM
Steady

the bitches at CC's are also not as stuck up as the one's at uni's so that's also a plus.
April 20, 2014 @ 08:38 PM
i01111000

I have a serious Q brethren, so I had a bad gpa freshmen and sophmore year :2.5ish but now it is around a 3 if not higher. I also got 28 on the act. will I be able to get into a good state school 
edit: my cumulative is not 3 it is only around 3 for this junior year

ACT is more important than GPA since it's standardized. Every school district, school, and teacher will have different standards so a GPA isn't always very telling. A low GPA and high ACT could indicate talent with a lack of motivation/laziness or high academic standards at a school.. A high GPA and low ACT just indicates easy classes.
April 20, 2014 @ 11:50 PM
Sentimental

got rejected from all UC suprised 
GPA:3.0
SAT: 1501

but i got a shit ton of community service hours

Fuck Off.

April 21, 2014 @ 12:15 AM
UghItsDave

Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, ITT Tech, Everest College, University of Phoenix.
April 21, 2014 @ 12:19 AM
Feelin_Foolay

You young kids on HB are still 16-18 thinking that this shit really matters. All your friends in about 2 years will probably be back home cause college is expensive and you're gonna realize you can do the same partying shit at any college. 

I never understood the college vs. college debate because no matter what you're getting the same entry level salary as the person who went to a state school unless you're in some highly desirable major like comp sci, engineering, or medical. But even then, if you think about it everyone is stuck with this mindset to make millions in their lives when in reality it won't 

Goto  community college for 2 yrs or see if you can apply to another school in state, don't judge a school by how much partying it does because once junior year hits you're just tired of dealing with this shit.
April 21, 2014 @ 12:40 AM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

You actually lucked out bro. Save some money and go to a CC for two years.
April 21, 2014 @ 12:43 AM
backlikethat

You have another chance at CC so work your ass off.

I did pretty bad my HS years

GPA 3.0 
SAT: 1600

and I had to go to a mediocre college (Towson) 

but I worked my ass off there and just got accepted to UMD this past week.
is towson really that bad? i kinda wanted to apply there, and congrats on getting into UMD.

Thanks. And in terms of status and ranking, Towson is just mediocre. Not bad but nowhere near good.

But the College of Liberal Arts is amazing in terms of education. Great professors and everything. Signing up for classes and dropping classes are easy as hell and smooth.

But in this economy, graduating from Towson won't impress anyone.
April 21, 2014 @ 12:46 AM
backlikethat

You young kids on HB are still 16-18 thinking that this shit really matters. All your friends in about 2 years will probably be back home cause college is expensive and you're gonna realize you can do the same partying shit at any college. 

I never understood the college vs. college debate because no matter what you're getting the same entry level salary as the person who went to a state school unless you're in some highly desirable major like comp sci, engineering, or medical. But even then, if you think about it everyone is stuck with this mindset to make millions in their lives when in reality it won't 

Goto  community college for 2 yrs or see if you can apply to another school in state, don't judge a school by how much partying it does because once junior year hits you're just tired of dealing with this shit.

It matters because employers will have interest in someone who went to a better University compared to the rest of the competition. Who would you want to have if you have to base something straight on resumes:

The kid who graduated from a Ivy League/Public Ivy League

or the kid who went to University of Arizona
April 21, 2014 @ 01:11 AM
Feelin_Foolay

It matters because employers will have interest in someone who went to a better University compared to the rest of the competition. Who would you want to have if you have to base something straight on resumes:

The kid who graduated from a Ivy League/Public Ivy League

or the kid who went to University of Arizona

I'd take the student who had the the experience with internships and side projects, with the best attitude who fits the workplace culture. Now I'm not saying where you go doesn't matter but, you're not getting the head of a department right outta college no matter where you went to school at. Experience>>>where you graduated from

edit:  And after your first career type job outta college, where you graduated from damn sure doesn't matter. I would think that a person with 3 yrs of exp in lets say public relations  will be more valuable than a person fresh outta Harvard. Unless they're offering a shitty salary then they'll go with the recent grad.
April 21, 2014 @ 03:01 AM
J THRILLLAH

There's nothing wrong with CC. It all depends what you do after college, and what you do with your degree. I went to community college, got my culinary degree, and worked in NYC with one of the best chefs from Top Chef. I made my moves. Also, let yourself grow a bit, what you want to major in now may not what you want to do in a few years. Keep your head up.

April 21, 2014 @ 04:04 PM
paulywalnuts

community college is still hard.  you can literally not show up and pass your classes in high school.  even in community college you have to attend class and do a minimum of studying to get a C.  

i master bait from time to time/// WTB: anti hero/sup jersey...medium... white>black>kelly

April 23, 2014 @ 08:57 PM
zzzboy

this should be a wake up call for you man.  i know it's fun to fuck around and do whatever, but you gotta realize that only you can determine your own future.  community college is your last chance to eliminate your high school GPA and ACT score and have a fresh start.  if you fuck up in CC, well then you're fucked.
April 23, 2014 @ 11:06 PM
NOLACKING

I took the ACT today in school cuz they made it free for us now. and i thought i was doin good but then i noticed that i didnt read the question right and had to do 20 questions over and i didnt get to the last like 15 on every section but my essay was cool
April 23, 2014 @ 11:09 PM
NOLACKING

well actually i randomly filled the questions i didnt get to cuz i was behind a fatboa
April 23, 2014 @ 11:14 PM
reeser

I took the ACT today in school cuz they made it free for us now. and i thought i was doin good but then i noticed that i didnt read the question right and had to do 20 questions over and i didnt get to the last like 15 on every section but my essay was 
essay doesn't mean shit lol if you didn't even answer half the questions.

op: no offense but where did you expect to get into with a 2.3?
April 23, 2014 @ 11:22 PM
NOLACKING

I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences. I am reading every single one of your comments and my outlook on CC has changed slightly in a good way. 

You guys are smart in your decisions. To those that decided to go to CC even though you got accepted into a university, it would be tough for me to do that knowing that it will take me 2 years to get to university. But in the end you guys did save a lot of money. And to those that ended up at a better school, I salute yall too. 

To answer where I applied to, I live in Illinois and applied to most of the public universities. 
did u apply to malcom x  jw

Please login first to reply.