Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
April 6, 2014 @ 08:27 AM
itzmejosh

blame the ghetto niggas. They the reason why fuckboiz are doing drugs and shit. Another is that they keep having kids that they can't even support. Besides that they dont have any respect

http://projectnibiru.bigcartel.com/

April 6, 2014 @ 01:46 PM
Mah Nigga

It seems that america is still facing the aftermath of segregation.

The black people of America have suffered a lot. Still, they are now given chances. It is up to them to seize those chances and rise. It is going to be difficult, and it is the reason why the system is partially equal.

However, you can not blame it on the dominant people.
April 6, 2014 @ 07:18 PM
cheyaaa

Blame kayne, based god etc etc. Everyone wants to dress, speak and be like them. They all take the short cuts to become artist and designers. No one wants to do the nitty gritty everyday hard work (engineering, accountant, doctors, computer science etc).

To put it simply, people are LAZY.

yo, wass gud my nigga, we bout to get it 500 rite now, b.

lik wat iz dis trashy ebonics we inherited?

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

April 7, 2014 @ 04:33 AM
rabbitman

education is one of the first things to get slashed in the nation/states' budgets. also you have to have money for college, there's no universal option. you have to spend insane amounts on a piece of paper, when all the infos on google anyway. also, if you need student loans, you need parents who make respectable incomes and are willing to cosign said loans. not all of us have that. they also judge you for financial aid based on your parent's income, when they don't always help you. meanwhile students whose parents are financially secure and have their neccessities covered, are free to socialize through fraternities, sports, clubs and work on networking and making important life connections to utilize with their degree, as well as have more time to study and sharpen that GPA. when you're working 40-50 hours for tuition and rent, it can be difficult to network and pursue internships, especially if they don't pay. the US is nation that prides itself on the fact that "anyone can pull themselves up from their own bootstraps" yet when we constantly kick out rungs on the social ladder, it becomes more difficult to climb and our living standard as a whole suffers because of it. education is supposed to be the great equalizer

be careful what you pretend to be

April 7, 2014 @ 05:10 AM
nat turner

A lot of good points.

Another problem is that public schools are basically government brainwashing projects designed to pump out slaves/employees. Show up on time. Do your assignments. Doesn't matter if you like it or not. A good student (future slave) does as they're told. They indoctrinate you to believe that there is only one way to succeed while also ensuring that it's the easiest path to follow. It's simple. Do these things and you will succeed. Get good grades, go to college, get a job, get a wife, get a house, have kids, and teach them what we taught you. Rinse and repeat. And if you deviate from that path, it's much harder to reach that level of success you want. Or you're ostracized for making your own path.

The curriculum IS partly to blame though. No one is being taught valuable life skills. No one is being coached from early on regarding what they may want to do. You want to be a musician? They'll treat you like an idiot. "Why don't you get a real job?" Instead, they should break down the music business for you so you can know how to make a living as a musician. That's just one example. Or teach you how to make your own business. I mean you can go to college for that, but that's another problem. Money.

Money is a major factor in education. The other side of American education is the school to prison pipeline. Poor schools have poor grades. What do they do? Cut funding and build prisons. Why? Because "they" will make more money off that kid when he goes to jail than if he went to community college, graduated with minimal debt, and became self employed. The private prison industry is evil. Did you know they build prisons based on test scores in inner city schools? There is an entire industry looking to profit off of the imprisonment of people. It's no coincidence that there are mostly minorities in prison.

Keep people poor. Make them desperate. Desperate people do desperate things. Imprison them. Profit.

The education system has two sides. It's either the high school to college cycle to turn you into a slave that they can profit off of, or it's high school to prison, which is another way they've figured out how to make larger profits off of people who would otherwise be less profitable.

Like I said, school isn't teaching relevant life skills. They teach you enough to make you a decent employee while brainwashing you to believe this is the only way. And college is only further indoctrination. There are so many ways to live your life free and happy but they only teach the one way that makes you most profitable for them. They don't want entrepreneurs. They don't want people who live off the land and grow their own food. They don't want independent people making homes that consume very little energy. No, they want an employee who get his taxes automatically taken from his check, who has a big house with 100 electronic gadgets, who uses gas, oil, or electric heat to heat up that big house and pays $200+ in heating, $200 in electric, $200 a month on gas because they commute because they city is scary, while paying back student loans, mortgage, car note......they want slaves.

And this is why they put such an emphasis on standardized testing. They have a standard. Be a good future employee. Never mind that you're a brilliant philosopher. Forget that you are an incredible artist/craftsman. We want this standard. Why? Because you're a number. You're not a person that should be nurtured and assisted in growing to your full potential. You're a number. You're a little cog in the machine. All they care about is whether or not you fit in and work as expected. They don't care about if you are happy or fulfilled as a person. We're chattel.

Pardon the rant.
Making kids slaves...following a path set out for them and not straying off that path...you don't have to necessarily blame it on the school system. I think families/ home structure probably have more influence on how kids and people turn out. you don't have to depend on the school system to do everything for a student. To me, parents/family are the first teachers and are usually the most important as a whole...they're the life long teachers for you and try to do the best they can. 

In today's world, with the internet, you can learn almost anything!!! There really aren't any excuses.

Money! America is built on money. That's why it's the strongest and richest country. If it wasn't about money, things would be a lot different. Well it wouldn't be the strongest or richest. The culture wouldn't be so influential...non Americans wouldn't awe at the country.

http://pureandgood.tumblr.com/ IG: thevictoryspeech

April 7, 2014 @ 05:44 AM
GoRubio

I've had many conversations about this subject. Education in America is so fucked. There's so many problems wrong with it, but I think the top three reasons why are: money, politics, and society. Or at least, that's what I notice here in Wisconsin. I could go into some long ass rant, but I feel like it would be some 12 page paper I would post on here, and people wouldn't care, so I'll keep it short.

Politics: our government doesn't give a fuck about education. Fuck the 'No Child Left Behind' program because they didn't care about it and did nothing to improve it. If government didn't want to leave any child behind in education, they wouldn't have shut down 8 schools in the last 10 years in my city, claiming they don't have funding and that grade scores were too low. Also, idk about where you're from, but in Wisconsin, we have the most fucked up governor ever, Scott Walker. Wanted to break unions, privatize all schools, raise tuition and taxes, and not fund schools as much any more. It's people like him that are hurting the education system.

Money: funding (also relates to politics), school fees being ridiculous (should be free for the most part), and also the way money is spent at schools.

Society: in Milwaukee, we are one of the most segregated cities in the US, and its so fucked up. In fact, 6 out of those 8 schools were pretty much in the poorest parts of the city. I've heard stories from old teachers and also people that have lived in the neighborhoods for a long time, that back in the 70's and 80's, all the neighborhoods were great and that they never saw the problems that we see today. Now these neighborhoods have all the crack houses, prostitutes, fights, and all the other shit you can think of. Because of this, kids don't want to go to school in their own neighborhood and have to go miles away to next school, or better yet, don't even go to school at all. I'll try to find it, but one of the most ratchet high schools here recently had a graduating class of like 70 kids, and they were so bad that the parents were fighting, people were playing Boosie over the microphones when kids walked the stage, and there was pretty much a riot over some bullshit. What kind of example does that show to the city, better yet the country? Maybe if people actually cared about themselves, their neighborhoods, and education, maybe then we wouldn't have kids like fucking Terio or Lil Mouse saying Trapping Ain't Dead, and would be in school where they belong actually learning.

There's my mini-rant. I hope this thread actually turns into a positive one that gets people thinking instead of trolls posting bullshit. Inb4 TL;DR or the I don't care pics.
April 7, 2014 @ 06:10 AM
Hashy

The shit they're teaching hasn't really changed since our parents and parents parents were in school.  Curriculum needs to be updated and tailored to a kids interest.  
April 7, 2014 @ 08:14 AM
It's Only Hype

The shit they're teaching hasn't really changed since our parents and parents parents were in school.  Curriculum needs to be updated and tailored to a kids interest.  
but kids are interested in stupid shit like facebook and flappy birds
April 7, 2014 @ 04:49 PM
dmwalking

dmwalking, your point is basically "the system" is keeping us down right? Ignore the rest if I'm wrong.
Schools do teach valuable things, but it's the student's fault for not retaining that information. I don't see anything wrong with teaching young people to show up at a place a certain time and doing their work even if they don't like it.

Since public schools have millions of students, it would be difficult to give each person a personalized education so there must be a one size fits all deal. Public schools are already underfunded and giving certain students a music, art, business education would be impossible. If they get exposed to that, they could go to a for profit school just for that but those are basically scams.

You think if high school students were taught ethics there would be less crime? You're assuming every poor person is desperate enough to commit a crime that would get them sent to prison. Even if they are sent to prison and are exploited, what's the problem? They're there for a reason.
(It would be great seeing younger people recapitulating ba$ed Kant and Nietzsche instead of ignorant hoodrat rappers)

What makes you think 'they' don't want more entrepreneurs? A successful entrepreneur would pay more taxes in a year than what the decent brainwashed employee makes in a year. I get that you reject consumerism, but your post is full of assumptions.
Yeah that's my general point. But you make some valid points.

For sure part of the blame lies on parents and students.  But a major problem is just the way the system is set up.  There doesn't have to be individualized education, but there doesn't have to be.  From experience, it's not hard to identify people's strong points.  Like Einstein said (unless I got duped by a false quote), if you judge a fish by how well is climbs trees, it will think its stupid.  I think students can be categorized based on their strengths and then have programs in addition to standard curriculum, to help them develop those strengths. 

If people were taught ethics it wouldn't change much.  Desperation will influence compromise.  The kids that go to jail aren't always kids that SHOULD be in jail.  Not all kids in jail are there for violent crimes.  Many are there for non violent drug offenses.  Why?  Because they want to make money because they have no money.  The problem is that the system is intentionally set up this way. You should see a problem when people are investing more in prisons than schools and assistance. 

A self employed person pays less taxes. LOL.  I've been there.  You can write off everything.  I remember writing a life insurance policy for a millionaire.  One of the parameters was that I could only write in proportion to their yearly taxable income.  But despite racking up over $1mill the prior year, his taxable income was only $20,000 because he wrote damn near everything off on taxes.   That's an extreme example. My point is, self employed people pay much less on taxes in comparison to wage earners. 

I'll admit that I am assuming that the gov doesn't want more entrepreneurs. Now point out my other assumptions since my post is full of them. 

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

April 7, 2014 @ 04:55 PM
dmwalking

" I'm anti making up ridiculous majors that they know will open zero doors."
"They have a standard. Be a good future employee. Never mind that you're a

brilliant philosopher. Forget that you are an incredible

artist/craftsman."
Pick one
Good attempt at trying to make me look like I'm contradicting myself, but context is key.   There are colleges that make up ridiculous majors.  Google it.  But that's an unrelated point. 

Standardized testing cares little about anything outside of what they want.  You actually CAN make a solid living off of music and art. You have to know the business of it.  But in highschool, they act like it's a ridiculous option and standardized testing doesn't judge based on these things.  As far as college courses, it is a bit of a racket when they sell you a pipe dream and push you into certain programs that won't benefit you in the long run.  A lot of music business can be learned on your own.  This is one reason why John Mayer dropped out and just did his thing.  He realized that what he wanted to do didn't need a degree.  But a lotta people get duped. 

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

April 7, 2014 @ 05:03 PM
dmwalking

It seems that america is still facing the aftermath of segregation.

The black people of America have suffered a lot. Still, they are now given chances. It is up to them to seize those chances and rise. It is going to be difficult, and it is the reason why the system is partially equal.

However, you can not blame it on the dominant people.
I partially agree.  That's why I say there are two sides to it.   There's the side where the well funded, well educated, well parented kids are brainwashed into believing college is the only "right" way.  Then there's the other side where underfunded, poorly educated kids are being brainwashed to either believe that there's no hope so turn to the streets, or sports is the way out. Otherwise it looks bleak because they'll have to go to community college which is looked down upon and not get prestigious jobs.  So they're still taught the college lie, they're just presented a bleaker picture of it. 

You CAN blame it on the "dominant" people if those people have intentionally stacked things in their own favor.   It's not as easy as "making a choice."   If a kid with financially stable parents puts them in a good school, all they have to choose is to do good in school.  If a poor kid surrounded by gang violence, drugs, with no food in the fridge, no parents really involved in their life, and an underfunded school with teachers that can barely teach because they're too busy trying to survive....they have to choose a lot more than just to do good in school.  They can't just choose to go to a nice school and have a normal high school experience. 

April 7, 2014 @ 05:45 PM
Herban

It's not the teaching, education, faculty, or quality. That shit is just too damn fucking expensive.
April 7, 2014 @ 09:37 PM
WhoIsCaesar

I just talked to my dad and he said for the most part schools in the inner city don't change at all. When he was in ATL 30 tears ago his school only graduated like 15% of the senior class his year. 

My school was in the top 200 in the country. Excellent, idk I have no idea how they get those numbers. But the city it was in was in a good area. If they tried to help these kids in the inner city something might change.

I hashtagged the hashtag and trademarked the trademark

April 8, 2014 @ 12:56 AM
flashdanoob

So, this isn't new, but I just read about that common core shit some more, and it really is stupid. I actually got mad reading some of that shit. 

What happened over the years to get us to this low point in education? Did the people in just stop caring or what? I just don't see how a good thing can fall so behind while it's going up. 

Well since some states don't even allow simple things like evolution to be taught, the problem with American education is the other half of the country that don't want educating.
April 9, 2014 @ 01:35 AM
GoRubio

So, this isn't new, but I just read about that common core shit some more, and it really is stupid. I actually got mad reading some of that shit. 

What happened over the years to get us to this low point in education? Did the people in just stop caring or what? I just don't see how a good thing can fall so behind while it's going up. 

Well since some states don't even allow simple things like evolution to be taught, the problem with American education is the other half of the country that don't want educating.
It's not that they don't want educating, it's that they're teaching the wrong things. The whole teaching of creationism is such a joke, and it kills me that people really do believe in this stuff.
Also, it's been said many times hear, but the shit that they're teaching in schools is ridiculous.
I have a lecture on immunology on Mondays, and want to guess what's being taught in the room right before I go in?............... THE HISTORY OF FUCKING VAMPIRES! I SHIT YOU NOT! And there's a good 100 people in there. Like what the fuck!? I wonder if these kids really are interested in it, or just taking it for an easy A. Either way, I can't believe that my tuition money is going towards shit like this. They make up so many classes in college that there's a reason why people don't take it serious any more.

Please login first to reply.