February 22, 2014 @ 09:47 PM
IveyAlumneye

So on some real shit,

Ladies and gentlemen, upon reflection of the completion of my 2 year MBA program I feel capitalism has absolutely destroyed North America's education system. We are all set up to fail. I feel as if all post-secondary education institutions care solely about taking our money, first and foremost. The service these college's provide is pretty much arbitrary. I have had so many professors who could barely speak comprehensible English. The process of earning a degree/diploma takes more than just understanding the material taught by the instructor/ professor. In most instances you will be forced to first comprehend what your teacher is saying, in English, before you can even start to write notes. It seems like almost half of first year students are kicked out of the semi-competitive programs, even though the high-school education these students received should have been solely to prepare them for college education. 

I mean lets be real, if I was the college I would probably have the same profit-driven ideology:take a bunch of young people's money, and then kick them out after they have already invested +$10k in the pursuit of their degree, since they won't have a clue that they will be required to do more than simply regurgitate everything said by their teacher.

What do y'all think about that?
Am I missing something?
February 22, 2014 @ 10:02 PM
offensive-commenter

it took you two years into your mba program to realize this? i've realized this after graduating my undergrad program. look at our classes these days. HUNDREDS in one room. that's crazy. college used to be for the very few who decide to go. these days college has almost become a requirement like highschool used to be 25 years ago.
February 22, 2014 @ 10:06 PM
origins

Sounds like you're just mad about the teachers you had. If you've just noticed that schools are another "billion dollar corporation" - you're late. Everyone is out to make money, everyone. Schools are mandatory in order to get a decent job - just how it's set up, unless, of course you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth. In other words, deal with it.

http://getsupreme.bigcartel.com/

February 22, 2014 @ 10:06 PM
PinoyAko

Yup, college isn't about learning. It's about money and shoving liberal ideologies down students throats. It's not about free thinking. If you have any sort of idea that isn't considered politically correct, you get in trouble. 

College is good for some people because some people just need to be told what to do, but if you're independent and not a complete dumbass, there's no need for it. 

Not to mention with the internet, there's so many free education sites that you really don't need to go to school.

Coursera and khanacademy > college
February 22, 2014 @ 10:31 PM
EEK A LURKER

My lecture said something to our class when I first started.

People who struggle and fail blame the education, the ones that succeed praise it.

.wa do dem.

February 22, 2014 @ 10:37 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

it took you two years into your mba program to realize this? i've realized this after graduating my undergrad program. look at our classes these days. HUNDREDS in one room. that's crazy. college used to be for the very few who decide to go. these days college has almost become a requirement like highschool used to be 25 years ago.
It's the same everywhere isn't it? More and more people going to university, some degrees have lost their worth in some ways.
February 22, 2014 @ 10:37 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Yup, college isn't about learning. It's about money and shoving liberal ideologies down students throats. It's not about free thinking. If you have any sort of idea that isn't considered politically correct, you get in trouble. 

College is good for some people because some people just need to be told what to do, but if you're independent and not a complete dumbass, there's no need for it. 

Not to mention with the internet, there's so many free education sites that you really don't need to go to school.

Coursera and khanacademy > college
Lmao, Khanacademy
February 22, 2014 @ 10:48 PM
Homes

It's not crazy that there are hundreds of kids in a classroom in college now or that it's practically a requirement to have a good job. If you think that's crazy, you don't understand history or economic development. Our current college system is a consequence of being a successful country. You'll notice that most first world colleges are the same. That's because in modern America, most natural resources have already been claimed (making most blue collar work not super valuable - this was the main driver of growth in the 1700s-late 1880s) and the minimum wage is too high for basic production (Americans will never be cheaper for making clothes, basic consumer goods, etc. than the Chinese for example - production was a main growth driver from the 1800s to about the 1950s (think the Ford era)).

This means that the only jobs/industries left in America are the "hard" ones: medicine, engineering, high finance, biotech, etc. with the service sector jobs (maids, fast food workers, etc) left over for the uneducated. This may seem like a curse, but it's only a result of us being so successful. And yes, you absolutely need AT LEAST an undergraduate degree to be semi-competent in any of those fields.

Sure, there are things wrong with our education system, but overall it's necessary. To wish for things to not be this way is to wish that we as a country had a lower standard of living and were back in the 50s.
February 22, 2014 @ 10:53 PM
RiFF RaFF

So because a teacher isn't american you automatically assume that they are a failure and therefore won't be able to teach you properly?

maybe you're the one that's missing the point. The future of business will not be with the English language but most likely with Chinese.

Also if you haven't realized, america has one of the worst education compared to Asia/ Europe. So be glad that you get professors that originated from those areas to teach you.

Be about it

February 22, 2014 @ 11:17 PM
*ER!C

^^lol yea, it's cool the professors are diverse and shit, but if i cant comprehend a word the nigga is saying, why should i feel lucky he's my teacher??  This ISN'T China and I'm not learning Chinese lol .. If i'm taking a class and the nigga is from bumblefuck Asia and i can't understand him, how is that beneficial? I've had so many professors like this, it's honestly bullshit..
February 23, 2014 @ 05:21 AM
Fitch

maybe you're the one that's missing the point. The future of business will not be with the English language but most likely with Chinese.
I'm sorry but the biggest crock of bullshit that young people love to regurgitate on the internet is the whole "the future of business will not be with the English language but most likely with Chinese" thing. I have money on fucking Maltese becoming "that" language before Chinese does.
February 23, 2014 @ 05:44 AM
origins

I'm sorry but the biggest crock of bullshit that young people love to regurgitate on the internet is the whole "the future of business will not be with the English language but most likely with Chinese" thing. I have money on fucking Maltese becoming "that" language before Chinese does.
Chinese HAS been the top language in the business field, next to English. It doesn't take one with a brain to realize that. Take a look of all the American companies outsourcing to China - ring a bell?

http://getsupreme.bigcartel.com/

February 23, 2014 @ 06:04 AM
Black Donald Trump

You forgot to mention how tuition prices are going up thousands a year and students are taking out more and more loans from the government. Gov made over 40 billion in profits off student loans last year. Meanwhile college degrees are becoming less and less valuable since everyone is getting them. There are only a handful of degrees that are really worth going for, and some of those are only if you get into a good school and graduate high in your class. 
February 23, 2014 @ 06:05 AM
truuuchainz

February 23, 2014 @ 04:35 PM
kbos

Good thread. Not enough time for good response right now.
February 23, 2014 @ 07:18 PM
mackness

We've gotten some feedback on the original statement, now how do you all feel that this could be fixed or if it will ever change at all?

"mack you get a pass for wearing female pants i aint even gonna ether you anymore" Powercum http://jnmcknss.tumblr.com/

February 23, 2014 @ 08:48 PM
Homes

We've gotten some feedback on the original statement, now how do you all feel that this could be fixed or if it will ever change at all?
Personally, I think the main issue comes down to less and less funding for colleges each year - as we all know and others have pointed out, the rise in the cost of tuition has far outpaced inflation over the same time period, and funding for public schools has been dropping as a % of GDP. Universities are left to make up the difference by hiring shitty teachers, making riskier investments, and finding more and more ways to make money off their students. It's really all part of the same issue I think, the biggest problem America is facing today: widening disparity. Lack of quality education for the average citizen is going to continue to drive wealth into the hands of fewer and fewer people (the "1%") who are all opposed to paying for public schools with their tax money and have the resources to lobby against the taxes or avoid paying them all together (through tax loopholes, offshore bank accounts, etc). This general trend will continue to harm our economy, which means less government funding to go around, which means less money for schools. The cycle continues until we are willing to increase our education budget substantially and make by far the most important investment we can make as a country.
February 23, 2014 @ 08:55 PM
mackness

hb facilitating an intellectual discussion cool

"mack you get a pass for wearing female pants i aint even gonna ether you anymore" Powercum http://jnmcknss.tumblr.com/

February 24, 2014 @ 04:33 AM
De Niro

Personally, I think the main issue comes down to less and less funding for colleges each year - as we all know and others have pointed out, the rise in the cost of tuition has far outpaced inflation over the same time period, and funding for public schools has been dropping as a % of GDP. Universities are left to make up the difference by hiring shitty teachers, making riskier investments, and finding more and more ways to make money off their students. It's really all part of the same issue I think, the biggest problem America is facing today: widening disparity. Lack of quality education for the average citizen is going to continue to drive wealth into the hands of fewer and fewer people (the "1%") who are all opposed to paying for public schools with their tax money and have the resources to lobby against the taxes or avoid paying them all together (through tax loopholes, offshore bank accounts, etc). This general trend will continue to harm our economy, which means less government funding to go around, which means less money for schools. The cycle continues until we are willing to increase our education budget substantially and make by far the most important investment we can make as a country.

So true, the distribution of wealth is immensely unfair and the one percent is getting richer while the poor is getting poorer
February 24, 2014 @ 04:39 AM
DykeTyson

Fuck school man

Security breach in my butthole got damn.

February 24, 2014 @ 05:53 AM
KiddCoast

thats why i got up off the couch and went to Everest

Twitter: @KiddCoast

February 24, 2014 @ 06:24 AM
killa_cam

I hear you bruh, the educational system (mainly post secondary institutions) are run like a business essentially aiming for profit while mildly neglecting the students learning experiences, through everything you mentioned.

I am finished my Bachelors of Science in May. As much as a pain this fucking thing has been for me the past 4 years, I am almost at the finish line and appreciate that I have been given and taken the opportunity to be part of such a personal achievement.

I could not have pictured myself NOT attending university. Despite the tuition fees/brutal profs/all nighters/3 hour exams/redbulls/concerta pills/16+ page papers, it has opened my eyes to how fortunate I am instead of ending up being just a post-high school labourer lacking higher level institutional learning, worldly realizations, work ethic, and habits.
February 24, 2014 @ 06:26 AM
Hellah Fresh

Ofcourse school is designed for you to fail one way or another. It is established for 99% of you to drop out OR graduate onto working for the already setup corporation. Giving people the tools that they need to continue making the MAN rich while he sits back and enjoys life. Either way you will end up working for a corporation unless you comeup with your own ideas for your business. Good luck to everyone going to school tho.
February 24, 2014 @ 08:35 AM
nat turner

Many times those that don't go to college or dropout of high school have no idea what they want to do with their life. They just float or stay with a steady job. Capitalism is what has made America the richest/strongest country. 

http://pureandgood.tumblr.com/ IG: thevictoryspeech

February 24, 2014 @ 03:01 PM
dmwalking

LMAO at the title.  You're OD late. Too late to be calling anyone an idiot. Haha.   Seriously, you have to really consider what you're going to college for because a lot of times you can just self teach and get jobs through relevant work experience.  I out earn a lot of my friends with MBA's and I dropped out of college cuz I realized I don't need the degree to get where I want to get.  

Now if you're going into sciences, law, education, high level economics, then yeah, get your degree.  But if you're doing graphic design, IT....matter fact, anything involving computers, the odds are you can self teach.  I have 3 dudes I know that self taught and live very comfortably.  

School is great if you're not good at self motivating though. But then, you're likely going to learn the same thing in community college as you would a private college with 1/5th the debt.  

Currently college is a scam and it only really benefits the rich who can afford it out of pocket with ease.  The rest of us are promised a slice of the elite pie if we follow their formula to become a well proven slave, but that dream is out the window now.  IMO, work plus entrepreneurship is gonna be the new wave.  Nine to fivers looking for alternative ways to bring in secondary and tertiary incomes. 

/rant

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

February 24, 2014 @ 06:28 PM
KALiKUSH

Ima Supreme dealin nigga cuz them grades ain't get me paid,
my agenda for today is to sell more supreme or get laid
February 24, 2014 @ 08:35 PM
Hashy

If you are going to college just to go, you're a dumbass.  To get the most out of college in my opinion you should go in with very specific goals to earn a specific degree in the fields that dmwalking mentioned.

It's 2014 if you are really trying to make it you should be self employed, never trade hours for dollars because time is priceless.
February 24, 2014 @ 09:25 PM
dirtyandypants

I went to school and studied physiology thinking I was gonna go to some kind of health grad school, ended up changing my mind but still graduated with my degree. Now I work in advertising. Do I regret going to school? No. I was realistic about what college is, 4 really fun years you put into your life to 1) look good on paper and 2) to prove you can put in work. 

You might learn something in school but more importantly, you go to school to prove you're capable of learning and seize the connections you need to start your career. Pretend you're a recruiter at X company, do you think the best way to find a good employee is to look on the street? You gotta have some kind of filter right? What are you gonna do, give em a spelling test? I don't disagree with you if you're saying that you can learn on the internet what people are already learning in school, but it's a necessary evil and I get why it exists. 

Going to driving school and getting your license doesn't make you a good driver, but are you gonna let somebody who doesn't have a license near your car? fuck nah. 

It doesn't look like you have any specific complaints about where exactly your higher education has failed you so I'm just gonna assume that you don't know what to do with your MBA and/or you have no work experience. You can't really say college is setting you up to fail when there are people who are going to school and coming out getting paper (it happens errday). 
February 25, 2014 @ 12:53 AM
Hashy

I agree with andypants to some extent as I see college is useful in making connections. I plan on going to college just to broaden my horizon, network, and meet innovative people.  But I can afford college If I couldn't no way I'd be paying tens of thousands just to "have fun".
February 25, 2014 @ 01:29 AM
street lights

you get out what you put in.

i got nothing to do but shoot my mouth off - john 3:16

Please login first to reply.