leaning in.) But perhaps the most surprising factoid is this: There are
more men and women at age 27 living with their parents than with
roommates.

According to the study's authors:

Overall
percentages for all 2002 sophomores as of 2012 were as follows: 19
percent were living alone, 42 percent were living with a spouse or
partner, 10 percent were living with roommate(s), 23 percent were living
with their parents, and 6 percent had some other arrangement.

So, granted, the plurality of 27-year-olds have shacked up with a
romantic partner—and, the report says, this pattern holds across all
levels of educational attainment. But among all participants except
bachelor’s degree holders, who were slightly more likely to be living
alone than with mom and dad, the parental nest was a close second. And,
again, everyone was more likely to live with their folks than with
roommates. Pop quiz! Is this because:

-Roommates are at best one of the world’s great Russian roulette games, and at worst a plague upon humanity?

-Millennials are victims of a coddling culture of self-esteem,
broken-winged, suffocated by the poisonous comforts of suspended
adolescence?

-The Great Recession made it impossible for many 27-year-olds to afford rent?

I know which choice seems right to me. The study finds that almost 80
percent of 27-year-olds are in debt, whether from student loans, credit
cards, or mortgages; since 2009, 40 percent have been unemployed; more
than 85 percent describe their finances as either “somewhat stressful”
or “extremely stressful”; and in 2010, as the Atlantic’s Jordan
Weissmann pointed out, they were more likely to be earning less than
$15,000 from work than they were to be earning more than $40,000.
(Weissmann has created some nifty charts based on the data.)

When I lived with my parents (lo those many years ago—two years), the
arrangement was more than convenience—it was necessity. Getting a paying
job helped. But I am already anticipating the “millennials are
shiftless bums” spin on this data and preparing my personal, indignant
defense: I have never received a participation trophy for a sport in my
life, nor do I know many 26-year-olds who have. Though I am grateful
that my parents were willing and able to let me live with them, my
sojourn at home wasn't about my reluctance to leave the nest. It was
about, on some level, having a place to sleep while I blundered through
the job search. Or having a place to blunder while I slept through the
job search. In any case, thanks, Mom and Dad.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/01/29/department_of_education_study_27_year_olds_live_with_their_parents_their.html
January 31, 2014 @ 09:18 PM
jaded

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

January 31, 2014 @ 09:23 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Wow this is happening in America too? Seems like it could be a trend in the West, kids living with their parents or moving back to live with them.

I think governments could do more for these demographics in terms of employment,housing etc
January 31, 2014 @ 09:49 PM
YoungRizal

Can you blame these people? Groceries, tuitions, books, rents etc sky rocketed in the last 10 years

FS - Supreme Nupste, WTAPS Parasmock ETC

January 31, 2014 @ 10:02 PM
Vancouver

Can you blame these people? Groceries, tuitions, books, rents etc sky rocketed in the last 10 years
word its tough out there ma du

shit like this goes for 1.2 mil where I live. that aint a joke.

January 31, 2014 @ 10:08 PM
sado

January 31, 2014 @ 10:12 PM
db_cooper

Definitely tl;dr but it's not difficult to get out on your own. Everyone's got an excuse
January 31, 2014 @ 10:17 PM
JohnvHarrison

^foh 10char

http://www.theyhatechange.com Beauty Squad Click on the rise #B$C Get down or lay down

January 31, 2014 @ 10:19 PM
db_cooper

You must be reporting live from mom and dad's basement
January 31, 2014 @ 10:20 PM
JohnvHarrison

Nah I don't live at home but I would never say it's easy to get out on you own in this day, not if you wanna survive that is.

http://www.theyhatechange.com Beauty Squad Click on the rise #B$C Get down or lay down

January 31, 2014 @ 10:21 PM
Pantic

You must be reporting live from mom and dad's basement
i am

January 31, 2014 @ 10:45 PM
kbos

Its some real shit, there was a time in america not long ago where people in their early 20s were having familys and owning property and shit, and half of them didn't even go to college. These days its hard to even find a 30 year old that has their shit together and can afford decent rent.

I am about to start a job making roughly 32,000 a year, granted the position sets me up to make six figures within three years so im willing to take that salary, but for the first year of that job, given my car payments, insurance, taxes, I wont even be able to afford to move out of my moms. Bear in mind that salary is based of 15 an hour for 40hrs a week, thats almost double min wage. I honestly don't know how anyone in the northeast can support themselves and live a reasonable quality of life with less than 80,000 a year. I'd be fine if taxes weren't rape, but of course, lets fuck over people making my kind of money and let the rich have so much they don't know what to do with it. sigh.
January 31, 2014 @ 10:55 PM
It's Only Hype

Teov cool cool
January 31, 2014 @ 11:35 PM
spamster

Its some real shit, there was a time in america not long ago where people in their early 20s were having familys and owning property and shit, and half of them didn't even go to college. These days its hard to even find a 30 year old that has their shit together and can afford decent rent.

I am about to start a job making roughly 32,000 a year, granted the position sets me up to make six figures within three years so im willing to take that salary, but for the first year of that job, given my car payments, insurance, taxes, I wont even be able to afford to move out of my moms. Bear in mind that salary is based of 15 an hour for 40hrs a week, thats almost double min wage. I honestly don't know how anyone in the northeast can support themselves and live a reasonable quality of life with less than 80,000 a year. I'd be fine if taxes weren't rape, but of course, lets fuck over people making my kind of money and let the rich have so much they don't know what to do with it. sigh.
$32K to six figures in three years? What field is this in? Sounds like some Boiler Room pyramid shit...
February 1, 2014 @ 04:18 AM
piccolo

Not surprised just tbh.

Follow if you like homegrown/amateur shots of ass and tits ! http://girlsaroundthenet.tumblr.com/

February 1, 2014 @ 06:20 AM
stickie

yea fuck that i aint payin 1200 a month for a room smaller than my current one
February 1, 2014 @ 02:28 PM
kbos

$32K to six figures in three years? What field is this in? Sounds like some Boiler Room pyramid shit...

Learning project management for real estate developement. Need to get paid shitty while learning the ropes before I get paid the big monies. Its my aunts company, and she needs to put someone on from the ground up. 5-10 years down the road shes trying to retire and give me the business if I do well and im into it. She makes millions, its actually an amazing opportunity, and its family and shes been my client for years before hiring me, so I know shes not bsing me about the salary.
February 1, 2014 @ 02:37 PM
theAnoos

suspended

Kbos I need to talk to ya son, I thought you needed to major in civil engineering before you do a project management course as ive been looking into that same shit myself.
February 1, 2014 @ 03:59 PM
meFLOW

didnt read, i live soldolo at 20

2013 summer fit battle champion buying 7.5 visvim kiefers eFLOW

February 1, 2014 @ 06:46 PM
kbos

Kbos I need to talk to ya son, I thought you needed to major in civil engineering before you do a project management course as ive been looking into that same shit myself.
Word well I kinda got hooked up cuz of my aunt doe.
February 1, 2014 @ 06:52 PM
db_cooper

Aye its bout the hands you shake not the grades you make

February 1, 2014 @ 11:49 PM
paulywalnuts

the struggle is real.  lets just say im around that age, and while i live with my girlfriend quite comfortably on a shit job, and try not to let money stress me out, i'm barely able to save, and finding a career is a huge burden.  i have one of the best college degrees you can have by the way.  

our parents era, you went to college if you could afford it, you graduated, you borrowed some money from pops to travel, or borrowed his car to see the country, a few years of freedom, then you buckled down, got a job with some company that was begging you to work for them, and that was that.  you started a family and got a pension when you retired.  this simply doesn't happen anymore.  now you need a masters or a doctorate to get that guaranteed job, and you're so riddled with debt  that it takes 10 years longer to pull it together.   

i master bait from time to time/// WTB: anti hero/sup jersey...medium... white>black>kelly

February 1, 2014 @ 11:56 PM
paulywalnuts

all im saying is this:  i'm finding it very difficult to work 40-70 hours a week ( yes i did put in a few 70 hour weeks around christmas to get that extra money for slow times) and have the motivation and energy to search for a job and have a balanced life.  some people tell me i just need to up and quit and hustle for that career, but i am NOT moving back in with my parents to make it happen.  

i master bait from time to time/// WTB: anti hero/sup jersey...medium... white>black>kelly

February 2, 2014 @ 05:05 AM
spamster

I think it varies from person to person. Im around that age and I thankfully just purchased my first home. I busted my ass saving all I could for nearly ten years. Despite being a full time student and working 40 hours a week I was still able to save enough for a 20% down payment. It can be done but it takes a lot of time, dedication and patience.
February 2, 2014 @ 06:02 AM
nat turner

yall must learn about independent businesses and tax write offs. so much incentive to have some kind of business but it is more work.

http://pureandgood.tumblr.com/ IG: thevictoryspeech

February 2, 2014 @ 12:10 PM
cheyaaa

economy is worst than it was in the 90's. It's human instant to make smart decisions. Live within your means. Don't go running off on your own because every one of your friends does, you couldn't put up with your parents, or because it's viewed as "normal". Do it because you are financially ready.

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

February 2, 2014 @ 05:04 PM
chilifritos

Unless you're living in some cheap boring state i fail to see the problem with this.
Times is hard out there, especially when you live in world class cities such as Miami,LA and NYC.

I rather stay home with my parents, get myself stabilized financially and then leave.

I noticed that America is the only country where adulthood is a big deal.

In most asian cultures, living with your parents/siblings is the norm.
February 2, 2014 @ 07:02 PM
drewblocka

for the ones that have to support themselves after highschool, they really break the bank for student loans.  grind through college working at a restaurant living check to check with cheap rent.  they really have nowhere to go after school and shit.  might as well go back to living for free with parents while looking for a 'good job' till they can support themselves.

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

February 2, 2014 @ 08:56 PM
spriteremix

cant relate 
February 2, 2014 @ 11:04 PM
Koven

@Teov 

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

Please login first to reply.