Enjoy an Additional 10% Off on All Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA10
November 14, 2013 @ 04:15 PM
kbos

So we all should be leaving tips for good service, and we all should be getting tipped for providing good service.

I'd first like to ask, how do you tip? Most people like to do %, some people bust out their smart phones and calculate some specific ass shit. Me for good service, I tip roughly 20% by doubling the first digit and rounding up or down based on the 2nd digit, if the service is bad i tip whatever the first digit is and round up or down. I almost always tip 20% or a little over that you have to have earned a shitty tip from me if you get a shitty one. I can't stand cheap people who don't tip well.

Second I'd like to ask, do you have any biases, or noticeable experiences with various ethnicities tipping? THIS IS ALL JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I DO NOT CLAIM IT TO BE AN ABSOLUTE TRUTH THAT APPLIES TO EVERYONE. I ALWAYS DO MY BEST TO PROVIDE A CUSTOMER WITH A GOOD SERVICE EXPERIENCE REGARDLESS OF THEIR ETHNIC BACKGROUND BUT THERE ARE SOME CONSISTENCIES I HAVE NOTICED.
*** edited for those who want to get butt hurt. Don't waste your time feeling any type of way about it, my experiences are in their proper place these are NOT wild racial claims that I live by or take very seriously, so you shouldn't either. Of course you aren't born with a skin color and its automatically calculated how you will tip in the future, if you need further clarification im happy to reply.

Asians - Its not that Asians tip bad, but 1st gen fresh off the boat Asians seem to have no clue that youre supposed to tip for anything, and they tend to be extremely polite customers, who exuberate how happy they are with good service.

Jews - Rich jewish people, they tip, but they tip so shitty its insulting. I did a job for a filthy rich trust fund jewish lady in her 60s, who told me she never worked a day in her life and lives off her dads fortune, her Hispanic maid tipped me quadruple what the rich lady did after she saw how shitty we were tipped.

Blacks - All my friends who deliver food say black people tip very poorly and youre lucky to get a tip from them, personally in my experience I haven't notice a trend in how black people tip, its a mixed bag, but I will say people from Caribbean Islands have always tipped me well.

Whites - White people are a mixed bag, but if youre going to get an amazing tip, chances are its from a white person.

Latinos - Latinos tip respectable amounts, I can't think of a time a Latino didn't tip or gave me a shitty tip.

Indians and Arabs are a mixed bag. My roommate works at a Jamaican restaurant and delivers food to Joey Bada$$ often, and sometimes Joey comes into the restaurant, he NEVER tips a dime. I like the kids music, but what a fucking scumbag homie should spit in his food before serving him next time.
November 14, 2013 @ 04:19 PM
valleyla

Replying with the swiftness but I tend to just tip whatever I have in change. If I have less than an obvious "good tip" in change I get change. I usually tip like $4 or $5 if what I got was over $15 unless I really am short on money at that point. At coffee places I always drop a dollar and the left over change from the purchase into the jar.
November 14, 2013 @ 04:30 PM
حريق

It depends on the service. Good service = $5+ Bad service = None to a couple dollars. But even if the service is bad, If I see they're actually making effort then sure, I'll give them a good tip. But if they're just one of those lazy, I need to stop and talk to everyone kind of waiters, best believe they're getting a shitty tip. Might even do this:

I'm black. 

demdownvotestho

November 14, 2013 @ 04:31 PM
Gilly Suits

I tip 15% to everyone, because I know even if you gave crappy service, tips are your real source of income. I usually don't tip over this unless I am feeling generous.

Dead at people whipping out cellphones. I find the way I learned it more efficient so I could do the math quickly in my head.
10%: Move decimal place over once
5%: Rules for 10% then divide by 2
1%: Move decimal place over twice
Anything else use a combination of the rules and add together.

Culective.com //

November 14, 2013 @ 04:42 PM
ATLchop

It's not really an ethnicity thing, it's more about how socially conscious you are. People who don't tip or are unaware that they're supposed to tip are just not that socially conscious. They don't come from a background where this was taught to them. I hate seeing the "black people don't tip" shit everywhere, because if you go to the suburbs ALL black people tip from my experience. 

It's ignorant, socially unconscious people who don't tip. Not blacks/whites/latinos/jews/etc. Quit bringing up this retarded "if you're born x, you won't tip" bullshit, I'm tired of it.

- a poor nigga who tips graciously when the service calls for it. 
November 14, 2013 @ 04:46 PM
Swerve.

First lf all, race has nothing to do with it moron.
Second I tip off of their performance, I dont think you are "supposed to tip" as you claim, but like right now we have these people working in my house still, the boss is a dumbass and always shows up late, but his workers often are there early and will go above and beyond what theyre required to do, so talking to my dad I was like we should tip the workers and not the boss, as they deserve it, so theyre going to get 150 each.

In restaurants if you actually were a polite waitress/waiter I definitely will leave you a nice tip, but if you get the order wrong and give terrible service I have no problem at all leaving nothing.

another thing is you might change how you work because you expect a good/bad tip, which effects what you get obviously.
November 14, 2013 @ 04:56 PM
kbos

^
Like I said, its just my experience, I do not intend to fuel racial bias that's why I tried to make it clear that I treat my customers with no bias despite my observations. I am surprised by how many people say black people don't tip well because that has not been my experience.

I am inclined to agree that it is a socially conscious issue more than a racial one, that's a good point, and could lead this topic to a more interesting conversation. For example, are rich jewish people less socially conscious? I hate to sound racist, its just my experience that they always tip poorly, and I would be surprised if none of those customers were aware that tips are important, and even more surprised if they had never heard the stereotype that jews are cheap and greedy, why fulfill a negative stereotype esp when you have the means to do the right thing? 

I have to say its funny that Joey Bada$$ doesn't tip considering he is one of the most socially conscious young artists in music. His 3rd eye might be open but it misses a lot of basics I guess lol. Still I wont cut slack for that, like really you don't know youre supposed to tip at a restaurant? Like really not even a penny? How do you even live in America and not know that.

edit @ swerve, nah b, you make a moron of yourself but failing basic comprehension. Did you not read the clear pre-explanation that it is simply an observation that holds no factual or absolute truth, an observation that I refuse to allow myself to be biased by?  
November 14, 2013 @ 05:03 PM
francois-hollande

suspended

LOOOOL

USA are soooo fucked up. No way im gonna live in this country.

Take a second look at how u guys reflect your Nation. Why so much communautarism.

Yall americans. It aint no jew no white(european) arabs indians blacks blalblabla

Its awful
November 14, 2013 @ 05:04 PM
(G)TRAP

suspended

how much you tip the dude thet selling you j,s at footlocker
November 14, 2013 @ 05:14 PM
francois-hollande

suspended

how much you tip the dude thet selling you j,s at footlocker
fuck him, he must be black
November 14, 2013 @ 05:19 PM
youngm

Just a quick question:
If you got a haircut at a cost cutters do you tip your hairdresser?  what if it's at a local barbershop?
November 14, 2013 @ 05:22 PM
mackness

I always tip 20%, if it's good service I tip more if it's bad I tip a little less. 

"mack you get a pass for wearing female pants i aint even gonna ether you anymore" Powercum http://jnmcknss.tumblr.com/

November 14, 2013 @ 05:22 PM
Paul_Noir

How does waiting tables work as far as wages? Do they get paid their wage (minimum wage) + tips? I've always wondered about this.

Ive heard of some establishments that doesnt pay the full minimum wage since they make up for it on tips.

When in doubt, Fap it out...-Paul_Noir

November 14, 2013 @ 05:27 PM
Swerve.

@kbos
I read your statement before you began, and it clearly states that the succeeding points and views are observations that you yourself have made, and therefor are a reflection of tje views you hold, am I not allowed to criticize am opposing view?

I do want to apologize for calling you a moron however, its just so clear to me that your socioeconomic background is the basis for your actions and views as opposed to race, but due to past events, certain races are more likely to be located in certain classes you know? I like the point you make on the older jewish lady though, I think its like she places less value in your work because she doesn't sympathize with you as much as somebody else in a similar position would, like for me, since im around the same age and/Or have shared experiences with you (working a grueling 9-5, underpaid) then im more likely to tip because I understand that it's hard work and that you deserve it, you smell me?
November 14, 2013 @ 05:29 PM
(G)TRAP

suspended

how much you tip the guy who cut ticket at the movies
November 14, 2013 @ 05:36 PM
kbos

@kbos

I read your statement before you began, and it clearly states that the succeeding points and views are observations that you yourself have made, and therefor are a reflection of tje views you hold, am I not allowed to criticize am opposing view?

I do want to apologize for calling you a moron however, its just so clear to me that your socioeconomic background is the basis for your actions and views as opposed to race, but due to past events, certain races are more likely to be located in certain classes you know? I like the point you make on the older jewish lady though, I think its like she places less value in your work because she doesn't sympathize with you as much as somebody else in a similar position would, like for me, since im around the same age and/Or have shared experiences with you (working a grueling 9-5, underpaid) then im more likely to tip because I understand that it's hard work and that you deserve it, you smell me?
Fair enough, and you make good points. I didn't really see your opinion as an opposing one however, I actually agree with everything else you said, and I just felt it was unjustified to call me a moron, and I appreciate the apology. Sall good.   
November 14, 2013 @ 05:50 PM
NZOO

Tipping should be included in the bill, can't stand that pity look..

Don't badmind me.

November 14, 2013 @ 05:52 PM
boba

i work at a coffeeshop in dtla and i deal with many different types of people. i feel it's not about the race; it's the type of person. i've had people from all races leave generous tips; courteous people who usually recognize good service and act upon it by tipping. then i'd deal with bougie ass simpleton's who don't have a clue about that kind of stuff. 

you can tell what kind of person someone is by the way they treat their servers. 
November 14, 2013 @ 05:58 PM
Paul_Noir

^what kinda of coffee shop boba?...like cafe lu???

When in doubt, Fap it out...-Paul_Noir

November 14, 2013 @ 06:17 PM
boba

^what kinda of coffee shop boba?...like cafe lu???
third wave coffeeshop, comparable to handsome, stumptown, intelligentsia just to name a few roasters/cafes
November 14, 2013 @ 06:18 PM
shnoosetheboose

I usually tip 20%, more or less depending on time and service. Like if I'm going into a restaurant that's about to close and the server is still giving attention even though they have closing duties, I'll give them a couple extra dollars or something.

If you're very rich and don't tip well, you're a bitch.

But idk about the race thing, that might be a bit overgeneralizing lol I've gotten both great and shitty tips from every ethnicity, just because they have the same colored skin doesn't mean they all act the same hahaha
November 14, 2013 @ 07:24 PM
bjornvan

I usually pull up this site up http://www.positivequotes.org/ on my phone
and hit them with a quote like "The miracle is not to fly in the air, or to walk on the water,
but to walk on the earth.."
I prefer to give something more substantial than money...
November 14, 2013 @ 07:29 PM
daytona squared

i always tip 30-50% but im usually drunk and in too good of a mood i should stop 

no swag November

November 14, 2013 @ 08:06 PM
Visvimpapi

tipping is dumb af

brvndon.tumblr.com

November 14, 2013 @ 08:44 PM
jacobsever

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

November 14, 2013 @ 09:12 PM
straight2hell

smh at everyone in here, yall that dont/wont tip stay the fuck home and cook your own damn food

even if the service is bad i still spite tip, like ill leave 15-20% still but write something stupid like "you didnt deserve this" or "worst service ever" on the bills or the receipt

!!! $$$ ~~~~SELLING RARE SUPREME GRAILS COLLECTION~~~$$$$ !!!!!! http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/215071

November 14, 2013 @ 09:25 PM
meFLOW

Dude my boy is a waiter in NY at some restaurant and he was telling me joey badass goes there and that fucknigga never tips 

2013 summer fit battle champion buying 7.5 visvim kiefers eFLOW

November 14, 2013 @ 09:49 PM
Captain Al

black people always tip where i work. white people do too, mostly.

I wouldn't make ANY money if people did not tip sufficiently. I get paid $4/hr and I'm a bussboy and do less work than a server. but luckily people that come in are cool. I make $20-$80 a night from tips.

servers get paid $4/hr. Most of them I work with are college students, single moms, and lazy grown men. It's hard for some of them, but tips help A LOT.

tumblr: bankpaper.tumblr.com

November 14, 2013 @ 09:52 PM
francois-hollande

suspended

lazy grown men.
ahah
November 14, 2013 @ 10:01 PM
Glock Lesnar

i don't get why people act like servers are going to starve if they don't get a tip or get a shitty one. "BUT THEY ONLY GET PAID $2 AN HOUR!" you might say. yes, but if they make less than minimum wage after factoring in their tips, they will get reimbursed. so basically they're working a shitty entry-level job and expect to make bank on that? fuck that shit. if i get bad service, i don't tip. simple as that. if i get good service, i'll give roughly 20% or something. if my bill was expensive but the server didn't really have to do shit (at a sushi place for example, it's easy to spend around $100 on a little amount of food) i give however much i see fit. i'm not about to give someone $20 for bringing out 4 plates.

i was a server for around 6 months. the only people who ate at my restaurant were old white people, and they tipped like shit a majority of the time no matter how good the service was. 

Please login first to reply.