HALLOWEEN SALE - UP TO 25% OFF - USE CODE: NOTRICKS14 (24 HOURS LEFT)
October 23, 2013 @ 08:52 AM
chief

How did you guys find jobs related to the field or make you and your resume stand out?

A job I'd love would be to work in an ad agency, but I don't have the experience for that yet. I graduated this summer and sort of slacked off looking for a job till about a month ago cause I wanted to enjoy my summer. I chose to play soccer for my school instead of gather work experience, which I'm paying for now, but have no regrets. My school has a good communication program (shoutout to Edward R. Murrow). Yeah say what you want about a "shitty" comm major, but I hate math and find the psychology and creativity behind advertising and marketing fascinating which I why I chose it.

I've been looking on Indeed, Monster, and Craigslist mostly for job listings and internships, but does anybody know a way to stand out and not be just another random ass resume in the crowd? I feel I have a strong looking resume, content a bit lacking for the lack of work experience, but otherwise well-worded and visually pleasing. It'd be cool if someone with experience looking at resumes wouldn't mind checking mine out.

I'd love for anyone to share their experiences with looking for a job straight out of college with little to none experience. I guess we can use this thread for that reason, doesn't necessarily have to be filtered to just ad/marketing majors

•••

October 23, 2013 @ 09:08 AM
Elijah Brown

Try Elance.com 
October 23, 2013 @ 09:48 AM
Olive C

Websites are ok but won't get you anywhere until you get experience. My advice, what I did right after graduating, is one of two things, depending on your situation:

1) get an internship. they aren't hard to get, since they don't have to pay you. apply to internships in all the big companies where you live. If you get one, then you get experience, and often they hire interns later. But this dépends on if you can afford to not get paid, or if you have another night job or something to pay the bills.

2) send cold applications to all the big companies. ALL OF THEM. With your degree, you might be able to get into advertising sales, which is kinda shitty cuz its sales, but its in your field and it'll pay the bills... you could do this at any media company, such as a radio station, newspaper or magazine. So I would apply cold at all the media outlets in your town, as well as all the big companies. You send the cover letter as the body of the email and your CV as an attachment. Send it directly to the HR departments of each place.

Its hard work, but that's what it takes. There are no shortcuts, unless you know someone.
October 23, 2013 @ 12:56 PM
guild2wars66

Haha. I helped this (http://www.mmobays.com/ )website selling wow gold, do not know can not be considered sales network.
October 23, 2013 @ 01:15 PM
eidaow

Do you have any friends that are in these job fields, u could always hit up ur friends to put u on.
Before I even entered college I had friends and mutual friends that were already in the industry. 
My homie is actually a creative director at a advertisement company and i know he's gonna put me on after i finish school cool

~ h a n s u m ~

October 23, 2013 @ 01:20 PM
Ledger

Marketing can be brutal when finding that first job (I know first hand), especially with no work experience on the resume. I'd suggest you learn Photoshop, InDesign and if you can a database management software; most companies require a marketing assistant to have a good grasp of those programs as well as a bit of experience. 

Your resume can be solid but it's your cover letter which sells you and gets HR's attention - this might be your problem if your resume is solid. 
October 23, 2013 @ 02:57 PM
MuffinsNightmare

My sister got an A&M degree and she is currently a secretary at a mortgage firm.confused
So um yeahhh.... it's a rough game out there. It's not what you know it's who you know.

I've been known to invoke......FEELINGS. #NoPromo #NoFearGang #AntiMuffinMovement

October 31, 2013 @ 09:50 AM
chief

I've been getting a little more thorough on my cover letters and have noticed an increase in responses where they want to set up interviews as opposed to the obligatory "thank you for your interest" reply, so that's a good sign. Hopefully going to schedule some for next week. 

@Woadie, what company is your friend creative director? that's probably my dream job at the moment. If I were you I'd just use the based imagery thread as your portfolio when you graduate

•••

April 17, 2014 @ 07:21 AM
future.

LinkedIn        
April 17, 2014 @ 07:16 PM
Lil Boosie's Fade

link ur portfolio.

if you do not have a portfolio, make one. 

if you don't already have enough work to put a portfolio together, start making stuff. 
April 17, 2014 @ 07:17 PM
jjapplesauce

Comm majors we in this.... I ended up choosing communication basically because I am hoping to end up in either advertising or public relations.  Its a real struggle out there for both these fields but certainly isnt the worst.  I dont graduate for another year but still trying to plan ahead some.  

1: Get an internship - An internship can be a huge resume boost for any field but especially marketing. Some internships pay and others dont.  Just because an internship doesnt pay doesnt mean you should rule it out at all (if you can swing it.) The internship that I did was in the fall semester this year was doing marketing at a local radio station.... it was busy at times but other times it was really mellow and I was basically updating their facebook page lol.  I found my internship through my universities website.... might be different for you now that your out of school.  I unfortunately didnt even receive credit for my internship cause I quit early due to it conflicting with my class schedule.  Even though I quit early my supervisor at the internship said she was cool with me listing it on my resume.  

2: what the above homie said LinkedIN - Be surprised how many people in your class dont even use this.... tons of kids just look this over like its pointless but my opinion has always been that it cant hurt.  I was shocked to find out that this dude who graduated two years before me in COMM from my Uni was actually working in the snowboard industry at what would be almost a dream job for me.

Those are really the only two advice I can offer cause im still not really there yet lol.  I feel your pain on that resume though.... I look at my resume and cringe because the only jobs ive ever had are a shitty front desk job and a lifeguard haha.... Oh well I guess my experience will come later. 
Edit: just realized this thread like 8 months old: uhhh how shit goin for ya homie?
April 17, 2014 @ 07:19 PM
chief

The struggle is real. I'm currently building up my portfolio, because I guess for copywriting that's really all that matters. So if you're trying to get into creatives, start building your portfolio asap. I'm basically playing catch up at this point

•••

April 17, 2014 @ 07:43 PM
liamneeson

I've got a marketing degree and went into my first job through a placement. It was a small creative agency and I really enjoyed it. Once you're in the industry its easier. I've since left the company because I had to move overseas. But I'll eventually get back into it when I stop traveling.

Having been involved In a small agency it made me want to start my own, for sure.
April 17, 2014 @ 07:44 PM
chief

I've got a marketing degree and went into my first job through a placement. It was a small creative agency and I really enjoyed it. Once you're in the industry its easier. I've since left the company because I had to move overseas. But I'll eventually get back into it when I stop traveling.

Having been involved In a small agency it made me want to start my own, for sure.
placement as in temp work?

•••

April 17, 2014 @ 07:49 PM
spamster

Hey Chief, try collegeconfidential.com

Wealth of information in there regarding post college careers and lots of advise from people in your field. Might get better info there than from this group. They got forums just like HB
April 17, 2014 @ 07:55 PM
liamneeson

placement as in temp work?
It was placement that turned into a permanent role. Didn't get paid for the first 3 months of the placement, but it worked out.
April 17, 2014 @ 11:25 PM
teeth33

you're trying to get into creative? should definitely consider portfolio school. if you want to get in at a solid agency, that's really the only option. at school you wouldn't be able to develop the stuff needed to secure a full time job. 
April 17, 2014 @ 11:26 PM
teeth33

networking is the only thing that matters. as great as your resume is, if you don't know anyone you won't get a job. 
April 18, 2014 @ 12:08 AM
Lil Boosie's Fade

you're trying to get into creative? should definitely consider portfolio school. if you want to get in at a solid agency, that's really the only option. at school you wouldn't be able to develop the stuff needed to secure a full time job. 
this is a lie, you do not need portfolio school to end up at a good agency. You just need a good portfolio. 
April 18, 2014 @ 12:26 AM
chief

Too expensive. And portfolio school is good for building a portfolio and networking. Both of which are possible without it. If you have good work, it'll get noticed if you put in the effort of getting noticed yoruself

•••

April 18, 2014 @ 12:51 AM
teeth33

Too expensive. And portfolio school is good for building a portfolio and networking. Both of which are possible without it. If you have good work, it'll get noticed if you put in the effort of getting noticed yoruself
definitely true, your initial post just made it seem like you didn't really have any work. 

about to graduate in may myself with an advertising degree. good luck to ya
April 18, 2014 @ 01:18 AM
chief

I don't. In school I was just really clueless with what I wanted to do with my degree since there's so many routes you can take with an ad degree. So like I said, at this point I'm playing catch up trying to build up a portfolio with mock ads.

What are you trying to do when you graduate?

•••

April 18, 2014 @ 03:41 AM
Minn.Sam

You fuckked up if you didn't join a school communications club where you get a chance to go to lunch ins and network with other kids and firms; or even do a summer internship while still pursuing an undergrad. Experience is key. No one is going to hire you off a whim. Either you know someone who know someone who can get you a good job or you gain the experience. The funny thing that a lot of college grads forget to do is hustle while still in school especially if your doing Marketing or Business. I know kids who are Marketing majors who already are signing deals fam. You just gotta start making connections.

coup.headops@gmail.com

April 18, 2014 @ 05:17 PM
teeth33

I don't. In school I was just really clueless with what I wanted to do with my degree since there's so many routes you can take with an ad degree. So like I said, at this point I'm playing catch up trying to build up a portfolio with mock ads.

What are you trying to do when you graduate?
I'm going into media planning. I've had multiple ad sales internships, definitely want to end up there, but didn't want to be doing that straight out of school.  

Please login first to reply.