Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
September 12, 2013 @ 08:30 PM
Black Donald Trump

i will be graduating college in the spring and I want to move to New York. I don't think I'll want to stay there forever but i would like to live there at some point so it might as well be now. I want to make sure I do it right though so what is the best way to gauge how expensive things will be and all that? what are the best neighborhoods to live in as a young broke kid?  i dont really want to be a bushwick/ williamsburg hipster so is there anywhere else cool that is somewhat reasonable price wise?
also how easy is it to find jobs there? I really don't want to move there end up having to move away after just a few months because i go broke. my degree will be in design/art so that will make things more difficult lol
September 12, 2013 @ 08:46 PM
حريق

Which part of NY? Nyc? Goodluck being a brokeboi in nyc lol.. rent is fucking ridiculous. I was looking to get a loft there, rape prices everywhere. 

Throwed Assassin.

September 12, 2013 @ 08:54 PM
kbos

Line up a job there first while ive been here ive seen a lot of people run away with their tails between their legs. NYC is a fun place when you have $$ and stability that NYC struggle is not that hip struggle its hyped up to be, but good lessons are learned nonetheless.
September 12, 2013 @ 09:52 PM
ASAC Schrader

i will be graduating college in the spring and I want to move to New York. I don't think I'll want to stay there forever but i would like to live there at some point so it might as well be now. I want to make sure I do it right though so what is the best way to gauge how expensive things will be and all that? what are the best neighborhoods to live in as a young broke kid?  i dont really want to be a bushwick/ williamsburg hipster so is there anywhere else cool that is somewhat reasonable price wise?
also how easy is it to find jobs there? I really don't want to move there end up having to move away after just a few months because i go broke. my degree will be in design/art so that will make things more difficult lol
find a job first and make sure you have enough money to cover atleast 3 months rent + living expenses. Also stay away from shopping too hard at till you know you're finically straight. Also look on craiglist for a roommate if youre ok with that.Over all dont go into ny broke and dont end up broke either, but that goes for almost any city

My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself.

September 12, 2013 @ 10:15 PM
PaydPal

This the crib that brokeboi life gets you in NYC....

Like everyone said come there with a lot of safety loot till you have something set or you're on the first grayhound back home in less than a month.

"Real people ain't perfect. Perfect people ain't real."

September 13, 2013 @ 01:54 AM
Flexx

Just move to Brooklyn...There's some cheap areas to live in and it's a short commute to the city.
September 13, 2013 @ 02:33 AM
jawesome

I got a similar question, since I was a kid I wanted to move back to NY cus we moved away when I was 4. I'm gonna be a pharmacist in two years so I plan on moving after I'm finished. My boys all tell me to move to Chi or Dearborn Detroit where they're from cus they say even on ~130k-145k (I'm pretty sure NYC avg would be higher than that, this is based off people I know from Cleveland to Detroit) you're still middle class out their. How true is that? Obviously I'm into clothes and not the normal since I've been on HB for a minute, is it really that difficult to live an above normal life out their w that kind of money? Some of my boys that have lived in NYC/LA/Chi got me considering moving out to SF instead
September 13, 2013 @ 02:38 AM
Bet

Never lived in SF but having been there and LA quite a bit I would pick SF any day of the week.
September 13, 2013 @ 02:53 AM
حريق

I got a similar question, since I was a kid I wanted to move back to NY cus we moved away when I was 4. I'm gonna be a pharmacist in two years so I plan on moving after I'm finished. My boys all tell me to move to Chi or Dearborn Detroit where they're from cus they say even on ~130k-145k (I'm pretty sure NYC avg would be higher than that, this is based off people I know from Cleveland to Detroit) you're still middle class out their. How true is that? Obviously I'm into clothes and not the normal since I've been on HB for a minute, is it really that difficult to live an above normal life out their w that kind of money? Some of my boys that have lived in NYC/LA/Chi got me considering moving out to SF instead
If you're going to be a pharmacist, according to the averages you'll make around 100k a year. Nigga, you could easily get a nice apartment & live an above normal life. A lot of rich people live in NYC so of course the statistics will be high. You could live an above average life in nyc with 40k a year.

Throwed Assassin.

September 13, 2013 @ 03:27 AM
Liteskin Yusuke

try nd find a place in queens. Or brooklyn. Marcy and other projects are not as hood as they used to be. Some niggas out there still bout it tho. 
Not bushwick, park slope, near atlantic ave, or flatbush. Rent will be very expensive.

Make sure theres a train within walking distance of the place youre checking out as well. 

changed from Doom. I've learned to take HB not so seriously.

September 13, 2013 @ 06:21 AM
theycallmeblack

Just move to Brooklyn...There's some cheap areas to live in and it's a short commute to the city.
You obviously don't live in NYC. Brooklyn is expensive too. Most parts are closer to Manhattan like Williamsburgh, Dumbo, Heights, Fort Greene are crazy expensive.
September 13, 2013 @ 06:46 AM
ASAC Schrader

anybody making between 40-175k will live a comfortable life anywhere.

My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself.

September 13, 2013 @ 01:02 PM
theycallmeblack

anybody making between 40-175k will live a comfortable life anywhere.
Word. NYC is ridiculously expensive, but fine if you have a job. It's just tough if you work retail or something.
September 13, 2013 @ 01:18 PM
Sub Prime

SF is more expensive than NYC
September 14, 2013 @ 04:35 AM
lifes outro .

OP NYC is expensive for real. stay away from gentrified spots esp. in bk, bit of harlem and like LIC. You could find a house to studio or something to rent out maybe 1000 for a nice spot, but i've seen some cheaper ones but my opinion is limited to mostly queens and some manhattan. it'll range mostly from 900+ going to 1700 etc. but if you're young you could definitely find a cheap spot around woodhaven or similar 

That's a pretty good salary to live on in NYC man, you shouldn't worry. Market's saturated as fuck in nyc for pharmacists as far as I've heard though, st. johns and liu are pulling out some crazy numbers for their pharm program. 
September 14, 2013 @ 04:44 AM
Flexx

You obviously don't live in NYC. Brooklyn is expensive too. Most parts are closer to Manhattan like Williamsburgh, Dumbo, Heights, Fort Greene are crazy expensive.
Those places you stated are expensive....Bushwick, small parts of bed stuy, even flatbush is inexpensive.
September 14, 2013 @ 04:47 AM
lifes outro .

Expect bushwick prices to go up soon, as well as bed stuy. makes me really consider working with real estate
September 15, 2013 @ 01:16 AM
Coldchain

I'd definitely say head out there with a guaranteed job or at least an internship. I'm getting my degree in art with a focus on graphic design and hope to eventually New York too. My plan is to move to Seattle and then San Francisco after college to get used to living on my own in a bigger city. And if the conditions are right I'll try to move to New York. Who knows though, I want to work as a freelance graphic designer/photographer, so I'll probably end up where the work takes me.

Tumblr: patrickromain.tumblr.com Instagram: @patrickromain Twitter: @patrickromainjr

September 15, 2013 @ 01:25 AM
WhoIsCaesar

Straight outta college? Nah nah nah

I hashtagged the hashtag and trademarked the trademark

September 15, 2013 @ 08:46 PM
Bet

suparise bitch you're gonna get banned
September 15, 2013 @ 09:20 PM
kmz

After living in LA, I probably wouldn't be comfortable in NY/SF under $125K
September 16, 2013 @ 12:42 AM
dagreezyman

NYC is dead, too many tourists and out of town ppl like OP took away the grime of the city and now its just for rich kids
September 16, 2013 @ 12:49 AM
offensive-commenter

lol straight out of college and wants to live in nyc. in this economy. if you're not making at least 50k, you're fucked over here. this isn't a joke. anything less and you'll be able to afford very little.
September 17, 2013 @ 12:17 AM
Black Donald Trump

are the projects really that bad? i've been around rough neighborhoods all my life and honestly im not that apposed to it. Living in south side Chicago at the moment(been in grimy midwest cities all my life), and when i went to nyc the spots that were pointed out by locals as being bad areas didn't seem bad at all, seemed pretty much like regular black or hispanic areas that weren't as overly gentrified as other parts of the city. how much would an apartment like that be? 

honestly though i'm thinking i might not even want to move out there anymore, doesn't really seem worth it unless i found some legit ass job. maybe down the road. for now it seems like a better idea to stay in a cheaper city and be able to save up money and travel. 
September 17, 2013 @ 12:39 AM
offensive-commenter

you just made the decision that may have saved your life.

Please login first to reply.