Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
August 30, 2013 @ 10:30 PM
coolgills

@Pantic - you keep having that mind state you will never prosper in anything in life.

OP do whatever the hell you want, it's your life. Right? If you want to pursue a career in Arts go do it and be the best artist you can be. But one thing is do not want to be an artist to become famous. Do it because you have a passion for it, and it's fun to you. You don't want to become famous you want your work to become famous. But like everybody has said in this thread, be prepared to take risk, I'm talking about "living on the streets" risk. When you start out you will most likely have to work a side small job, because the art industry is known for its low salary, and art jobs are somewhat limited out in this world. But do what you love, not what you hate.
August 30, 2013 @ 10:48 PM
dagreezyman

OP not trying to shit on you or be a debby downer or anything but your goals are completely unrealistic. you gotta make a legit plan and not a fantasy about a vague creative job that earns a lot of money without a lot of hours... usually its the opposite.
August 30, 2013 @ 10:51 PM
MagnaDefender

ur never, NEVER gonna succeed in the music industry, and the same goes for fashion.
There's people out there slaving their ass off 24/7 no breaks to make it in those fields that will never make it. You just want to be in one of those fields because you like listening to music and fashion, it's not because you actually want to work with it. Tell me, do you know anything about working with music? Probably not. And your almost done with uni and still can't even pinpoint a direction within the industry you want to steer at, you have no chance. It's like you don't understand the real world tbh
HA, people have been hating on Pantic in this whole thread but the truth is, he's completely right. Stop filling OPs head with lies. Op honestly needs to do a self and life evaluation and not ask the forum what the fuck he should do. Go out and get whatever it is you want. Don't wait for it to fall in you're lap. 

HANSUM BOY IS HANSUM

August 30, 2013 @ 10:52 PM
coolgills

OP not trying to shit on you or be a debby downer or anything but your goals are completely unrealistic. you gotta make a legit plan and not a fantasy about a vague creative job that earns a lot of money without a lot of hours... usually its the opposite.
This is true too, if OP was 14-16 I could somewhat believe he could accomplish some stuff on this list but he's 21
August 30, 2013 @ 11:50 PM
_______

I've always wanted to be a pro skater but now that I've grown up, skating for a living doesn't even seem real to me.
August 31, 2013 @ 12:06 AM
kbos

This is the problem with the world tbh. Kids are going to college just to go to college. There is an influx of college students over the past few decades and not enough jobs for these graduates. Its now almost assumed that when you graduate high-school you are going to college. I'm not saying that college is bad but society needs to not be so eager to send everyone to college. For me I know that college wasn't for me. So now when I graduate high-school I'm going to tech school to be a mechanic.

Well not much help about the career choices, but in my opinion you are just another college kid that went to college to just go. Sorry bro. Hope you find what you wanna do. Figure out what you're passions are and  try and pursue something in that. 
That's cool. Too be honest I wish I had given more consideration to learning a trade instead of going to college. Theres so much pressure to go to college and be somebody these days college is like graduating HS and you have to go to grad school to stand out. More money, more years.
August 31, 2013 @ 01:01 AM
FailedPrayer

OP, I completely understand what you're going through.

There aren't a lot of older folks on here, so to give you a bit of perspective, I'd like to share my story. I'm also 21 and just graduated from college. I felt the same way you do now when I was 17-18 (freshman). I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I knew that I really liked fashion. But the reality is that what you like =/= what you will do as a career.

So how did I make sure fashion was "right" for me? I called a bunch of NYC labels and landed an internship at a (pretty) famous streetwear/workwear brand. I interned there for almost 2 years and loved every minute of it. What did I learn? That fashion was not as glamorous as all these young cats thought it was. There's a lot of grunt work and physical labor that'll absolutely destroy you. You work ridiculous hours (especially during runway season) and get paid relatively low. The best parts were meeting industry people and really understanding their ethos/thought process. When it comes down to it, fashion is a business that thrives on creativity, but it's a business, first and foremost.

I also happened to be a Finance major and had a bunch of internships in the industry. I worked my ass off with a full 5-class schedule + taking on 2 internships at the same time. Why? Because I wanted to learn and I was interested. I didn't just sit around and imagine "oh man, I can't wait to work in fashion and go to runway shows." A lot of people become blinded by what the media puts out there, but you know who deserves all the recognition of these labels? The people who work for the designers and make shit happen. These people are the manufacturers/factories/assistant designers/interns.

By the end of senior year, I had 5 internships on my resume. Fashion was my ace in the hole, something that separated me from these other competitive people. When you live in NYC, you meet a bunch of people who are true hustlers, who go after what they want and never get discouraged when they get rejected. I really believe this is what defines NYC; the people who are successful are the ones who are hard-working, smart, and never give up.

Right now, I work in finance, but my passion is fashion. I have student debt, so a salary on a fashion entry-level position is not enough for me. I want to combine the 2 fields; my ideal goal would be doing something like finance for a major label.

tl;dr version:
- Go after what you want. Stop daydreaming and go get what you want. Pick up the phone and call places, knock on doors, go talk to people who do what you want to do.
- The success stories you read about are never about lazy people. To use a relevant example, consider Tyler/OF. Did he just sit around and wait for people to hand him success? No, I still remember him posting his songs here on HB and asking for opinions. When he blew up, he fucking dominated. Why? Because it took him so long to really succeed. So when you're in that position, what else do you do? You capitalize and keep pushing to become better.
- Never get discouraged. When one door closes, another one opens.
- Most of all: Stay fucking humble. You're not a special snowflake. Just because you exist does not mean you deserve everything. When you start out, you'll have to do BS work and eat shit, but when you prove yourself, you'll move up. And I really hope that when you do move up, you know what to do with it.
August 31, 2013 @ 01:28 AM
NapoleonComplex

dudes goin in on homies non-chalant life. lmfao
but yea dude im a poli sci major who has absolutley no interest in joining the political world. i just like talking politics n shit cool
but ive had my shit sorted since junior year. 

FUCK DREWBACCA | smh fuck REVS to....

August 31, 2013 @ 02:17 AM
ramos0927

Become an entrepreneur
August 31, 2013 @ 02:31 AM
bananaoke

Give this a watch:

August 31, 2013 @ 02:36 AM
FailedPrayer

Who did you meet, if u mind me asking.
Most of the designers/creators of the labels you see on HB's front page as well as various Japanese-based designers.

One of them is the guy behind the brand that all HB fam goes crazy for.
August 31, 2013 @ 03:09 AM
downbyone

The problem about threads is, everyone's opinion is different, you're not really gonna find a solid answer on what you should do here. But I think the best advice here is the one by Pantic. Shit I'm only 16 lol

OF.M bangin on ya FM

August 31, 2013 @ 11:39 PM
ManyHenny

GOAT post up there by DyingScreams.
December 19, 2013 @ 03:00 PM
cloudhype

Why dont you try for photography? If you like fashion it could be just what your looking for, something creative where your work would be praised, and you could travel to different parts of the world to work, maybe you could even work for fucking national geographic or some shit if you cant get a photography job involving fashion, obviously it all depends on your position and you'd be lucky to have one that lets you do all these things AND pays well but i mean if your lost and not working towards anything else, might as well give it a try.
Wow, so many repsonses on this thread. I actually forgot about it for a while. Just been banging out full time at the store. Hmm, photography is good. But i need something that is proper stable. Like i will; defo look into it. 
December 19, 2013 @ 03:03 PM
cloudhype

This is the problem with the world tbh. Kids are going to college just to go to college. There is an influx of college students over the past few decades and not enough jobs for these graduates. Its now almost assumed that when you graduate high-school you are going to college. I'm not saying that college is bad but society needs to not be so eager to send everyone to college. For me I know that college wasn't for me. So now when I graduate high-school I'm going to tech school to be a mechanic.

Well not much help about the career choices, but in my opinion you are just another college kid that went to college to just go. Sorry bro. Hope you find what you wanna do. Figure out what you're passions are and  try and pursue something in that. 
Noooo,. You see, i went uni to further myself, knowledge and opportunities. I am completely grateful for the opportunity as i have had so many great experiences. I believe it's good to have something to fall back on. Yeah, i took a law degree and i may have gone from 100% interested in the course to kinda interested in it but at the end of the day, if all fails, i will always have a law degree to fall back on. Surely, that's better than having nothing, right?
December 19, 2013 @ 03:06 PM
cloudhype

I feel like this all the time but these are some of the things I have come to understand. At this point in time with the current socioeconomic influences (higher unemployment, seemingly unpayable student loans etc.) trying to pursue something in the fields you listed is literally a pipe dream, just go on the comments section of YouTube or look at the Starting Your Own Brand thread on the forums here, there are thousands and thousands of people wanting to become musicians, artists, entrepreneurs, how many of them do you think can sustain doing that and live off it? Chances are close to none. 

You have to understand that in this economy, whether or not you WANT to go school is irrelevant. Just look at graduates, around 50% unemployment rate, some of these people have Bachelors degrees etc. The pursuit of higher education is almost a necessity if you want any sort of well paying job or job security. 

I also hope you realize people who work in various careers probably fucking hate their jobs yet they work for years at them, why? Because it provides them with a salary they can live off of. 

Also real talk, anyone who tells you to go for what you love (i.e. music, fashion, etc) instead of doing something that gets you money (even if you don't like it) is bullshitting you. The harsh reality is that money rules over all, would you rather be getting money and living a secure life doing something you might not like or would you rather do something you like and be poor? Not saying people can't do what they love but in regards to the "entertainment" industry, trying to make it big is like winning the lottery, you pay in and pay in, there's always a chance you might possibly maybe win but more often than not you're wasting your time.

To conclude though, if you get money doing something you don't like after a while you can just retire or something if you have enough saved up and enjoy the rest of your life. I wish someone told me this when I was younger.
I totally agree with you. Your actually right. Which is why i have a new outlook on the whole thing. Yeah, i want to pursue those things i mentioned above but i need to have a sort of stable creative career  which i can be doing for income while pursing those other things i mentioned in my spare time.  Now my problem is..finding that stable creative career
December 19, 2013 @ 03:11 PM
cloudhype

Its not always easy finding what you want to do in life. Its one of the biggest decisions in your life, not to add pressure ha. And some people might seem like they have it all figured out but thats often just because they want to seem confident and like they know what theyre doing. 

Dont stress about it too much, youre still really young and you shouldnt have your life figured out 100 per cent. Just try different jobs and fields and maybe talk to a career advisor or somehting. But you will probably not achieve all those things in your list, you need to be more realistic. If you want money, go for that. If you want to be creative, free, wild and travel, do that. Those two practically never overlap.
Ha, your prob right about people trying to appear confident and all. I wonder this sometimes as it's like i have always had friends who have had a clear shot idea of what they want to be when they grow up and it's like "damn, man. when did you have the time as a kid to make a determined career choice". The only thing on my mind was pokemon, back then ha. I mean, i do respect those who followed their dreams and all as it shows they are very determined and ambitious. I really admire folks like that. 

Hmm, your right about the two never overlapping. But i mean, like no one wants to be broke, right? I bet all those wannabe rappers don't wanna be a broke rapper despite how much they may love rapping. It's just finding that balance
December 19, 2013 @ 03:15 PM
cloudhype

Based on your criteria, have you thought about working in the media? Like TV production or radio? These are things you can easily get internships in, and who knows, it could turn into something.

Whatever you do, just keep having faith that you will find something you love. And you will. You have time while you are Young to struggle a bit and make mistakes. Give yourself 5-10 years before you give up and sell out on the job you hate...
Media is quite big. Maybe one of those guys hat come up tv show idea's / pilots and stuff.. Haven't got a clue what the role is called. I assume, they do more than just that tho. Yeah, over the summer i had a good ass long think and decided i really am into music producition more than anything. So i am just grinding at that atm. However, i am not looking at it as my long term career goal. 
December 19, 2013 @ 03:31 PM
cloudhype

OK..i am just going to ignore you. Your not even worthing replying. Just full of so much bitterness and bullshit ;)

You won't even work for your dream, you just want it. You could have interned at a radio station, art gallery, sound studio or anything else. You could have put in hours and hours of research in the fields that interest you, how else would you narrow down what you actually want to do? - Im not bitter, and certainly not full of bullshit. Im trying to make you understand just how miserably you will fail if you don't change your attitude while you still can.  

Im not saying it's impossible for you, im saying there's people that work 10 times harder than you to reach the same goal you have and thats a fact. Thus you need to understand that a work hard mentality is necessary when trying to get somewhere in life. Worrying about how many hours you work, travelling and all that comes later, not in college.

Im actually helping you out, but your own fault if you want to stay ignorant and think the "you can do it bruh just believe" bullshit responses are helping.

Edit: I respond to threads like this very rough, because it will either push you into defending your dream and trying to come up with actual reasons why you could possibly succeed at reaching them, or be submissive and ignore it (the wrong reaction)
I really appreciate your honesty. I actually apologize for what i said earlier. At that time, i clearly wasn't thinking straight and after taking some time to think, i am more certain as to what i want. Haha, the whole thing about me wanting to work few hours/traveling and all that was silly ha. For me, what i need to do is research the roles available int he fields i want to pursue. I still have a very broad field window of career fields i want to pursue a career in which still ranges from media, music, advertising. I just need to find the exact role within those three fields that i want.  Like i mentioned before, i want a creative based career. I understand with a  creative career, i probably won't be earning as big as the bankers and lawyers but i don't mind as long as i am getting a decent salary. I have recently got into music production and would love to pursue a career in it but i understand that it is not stable enough which is why i need a creative career (whether it's fashion, tv or whatever) that is stable enough and that i can do while doing my music production in my spare time. 
December 19, 2013 @ 03:35 PM
cloudhype

Aight, angry Dave about to drop on you for a second.  

First off, you're asking us to decide your life for you?  

Second, how are you only 21 and you have so little passion that all you can think about is a few things that you like.  Son, if you don't even love anything strong enough to want to do just that forever, than no career will make you happy.  You'd be bored at anything cuz you just lack passion. 

I'm a keep it simple for you.  Stop being a big ass baby.  The odds of you making a lot of money off of something you love are slim. Very slim. If it were that easy, we would have no janitor or people flipping our burgers.   You have to choose up front: Lot of money, or lots of freedom. Money comes at a cost.  Even if you go into business for yourself, if you want to make money, your time is consumed by that job. 

You list of what you'd like in a career is like everybody's dream genius.  You gotta decide what you're good at and do it. 

"Oh I wanna be the one doing what's creative."   Son, are you creative or not?  I'm leaning towards not because you're not even creative enough to figure out what you wanna do with your life. 

Get some passion.  Pursue that until your fingers bleed. 

/rant
Thanks for that! I had to take sometime to REALLY think
December 19, 2013 @ 03:37 PM
koolgtrap

ur never, NEVER gonna succeed in the music industry, and the same goes for fashion.
There's people out there slaving their ass off 24/7 no breaks to make it in those fields that will never make it. You just want to be in one of those fields because you like listening to music and fashion, it's not because you actually want to work with it. Tell me, do you know anything about working with music? Probably not. And your almost done with uni and still can't even pinpoint a direction within the industry you want to steer at, you have no chance. It's like you don't understand the real world tbh
bitch
December 19, 2013 @ 03:38 PM
cloudhype

what is it that you want to do exactly? find that thing that you really love and just grind and hustle. think outside the box, that's how you make money w/out working that 9-5 life. NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. don't be afraid to talk to people, because you never know who you're going to meet. some dude you play ball with at the gym might turn out to be a fashion designer for some big company. be open to other people and socialize.

drive and passion can really take you far man. if you love what you're doing and you have the passion for it, you will find a way to make money off of it. try to learn as much as possible and the field that you're going into. the minute you think that you know everything, you lost.

oh and know that you will have some hard times and you will need to make a lot of sacrifice if you're not willing to go thru that 9-5 life. life tests you. up to you to overcome it
Thanks man. Like i said above, i just needed to really think and assess myself. I really did lack drive and passion back then, hence why it didn't seem like i had much commitment in my first post
December 19, 2013 @ 03:40 PM
cloudhype

@Pantic - you keep having that mind state you will never prosper in anything in life.

OP do whatever the hell you want, it's your life. Right? If you want to pursue a career in Arts go do it and be the best artist you can be. But one thing is do not want to be an artist to become famous. Do it because you have a passion for it, and it's fun to you. You don't want to become famous you want your work to become famous. But like everybody has said in this thread, be prepared to take risk, I'm talking about "living on the streets" risk. When you start out you will most likely have to work a side small job, because the art industry is known for its low salary, and art jobs are somewhat limited out in this world. But do what you love, not what you hate.
Hence why i have decided that i need a stable creative career (creative- because i think it's best to still keep the creative thing going and can be any sort of career within those fields) while working on my music in my spare time. 

Btw "You don't want to become famous you want your work to become famous. ". Such a good line. I should really share that with my wannabe rapper friends
December 19, 2013 @ 04:03 PM
cloudhype

OP, I completely understand what you're going through.

There aren't a lot of older folks on here, so to give you a bit of perspective, I'd like to share my story. I'm also 21 and just graduated from college. I felt the same way you do now when I was 17-18 (freshman). I didn't know what I wanted to do, but I knew that I really liked fashion. But the reality is that what you like =/= what you will do as a career.

So how did I make sure fashion was "right" for me? I called a bunch of NYC labels and landed an internship at a (pretty) famous streetwear/workwear brand. I interned there for almost 2 years and loved every minute of it. What did I learn? That fashion was not as glamorous as all these young cats thought it was. There's a lot of grunt work and physical labor that'll absolutely destroy you. You work ridiculous hours (especially during runway season) and get paid relatively low. The best parts were meeting industry people and really understanding their ethos/thought process. When it comes down to it, fashion is a business that thrives on creativity, but it's a business, first and foremost.

I also happened to be a Finance major and had a bunch of internships in the industry. I worked my ass off with a full 5-class schedule + taking on 2 internships at the same time. Why? Because I wanted to learn and I was interested. I didn't just sit around and imagine "oh man, I can't wait to work in fashion and go to runway shows." A lot of people become blinded by what the media puts out there, but you know who deserves all the recognition of these labels? The people who work for the designers and make shit happen. These people are the manufacturers/factories/assistant designers/interns.

By the end of senior year, I had 5 internships on my resume. Fashion was my ace in the hole, something that separated me from these other competitive people. When you live in NYC, you meet a bunch of people who are true hustlers, who go after what they want and never get discouraged when they get rejected. I really believe this is what defines NYC; the people who are successful are the ones who are hard-working, smart, and never give up.

Right now, I work in finance, but my passion is fashion. I have student debt, so a salary on a fashion entry-level position is not enough for me. I want to combine the 2 fields; my ideal goal would be doing something like finance for a major label.

tl;dr version:
- Go after what you want. Stop daydreaming and go get what you want. Pick up the phone and call places, knock on doors, go talk to people who do what you want to do.
- The success stories you read about are never about lazy people. To use a relevant example, consider Tyler/OF. Did he just sit around and wait for people to hand him success? No, I still remember him posting his songs here on HB and asking for opinions. When he blew up, he fucking dominated. Why? Because it took him so long to really succeed. So when you're in that position, what else do you do? You capitalize and keep pushing to become better.
- Never get discouraged. When one door closes, another one opens.
- Most of all: Stay fucking humble. You're not a special snowflake. Just because you exist does not mean you deserve everything. When you start out, you'll have to do BS work and eat shit, but when you prove yourself, you'll move up. And I really hope that when you do move up, you know what to do with it.
WOW. Props to you , mate! So much good advice there. It's nice every now and then to find someone my age who is in the same boat. First question; did you take up fashion or anything related to it while you were at college  or high school? 2) what brand did you work at (if i may ask)? See, i haven't got any experience in fashion and when i check out most internship vacancies, they usually ask for experience or either that your fashion graduate. I have been thinking about doing one of those fashion blog things, maybe i could supply that as my experience..hmm.

You hit the nail right on the head! I wanna be one of those people (regardless of whatever career field, i go into) who make shit happen and not the people that sit back and admire.  So much good advice you posted. Thank you so much!
December 19, 2013 @ 04:04 PM
cloudhype

Thanks everyone for the advice! Really appreciated, man!

Please login first to reply.