300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
August 30, 2013 @ 01:25 AM
cloudhype

Hey guys, 

I am 21, about to go into my final year of uni but i am feeling..kinda lost? I am doing a degree in which i don't want a career in, i haven't got a clue as to what career i want to pursue, majority of my friends have all got their future careers after uni - all planned out. I mean, i have always been like this since i was a kid. Never been sure of what i wanted to do. As a child, i never did have a childhood dream or anything. When people would ask me, i would be like "dunno", where as my friends  would be like "footballer", "astronaut" or some shit like that. I just feel like i am wasting time. 

I have a rough sketch of aspects of a career i would like to pursue but i am not even sure if it exists lol. I know it's the real world but i have always been dead set against, the whole office 9 to 5 work lifestyle. To me, that's not life. I can't see myself doing something so routine. Here's a couple of aspects of a career i would like to have (not even sure if it's real at all haha); 

- something that would allow me to travel around the world
- something that would not keep me office bound and involve me having to live the 9 to 5 life, maybe 3 or 4 days a week at work or somrthing (ok, maybe the idea about the 3 to 4 days is a bit unrealistic lol) 
-something will allow me to be creative. I don't want to be the guy that writes articles and whatever about creative people (muscians, artists etc). I want to be the guy doing the creative thing ..if you get what i mean?
- something that will involve music and maybe fashion
-something that will allow me to earn a lot of money. I am the eldest of my family..
-something that will allow me to be recognized or somesort

I know this sounds impossible but i certain that there must be a career out there that matches at least 3 of the aspects mentioned above. *sigh*. Well, hopefully someone here can help me out. I just don't see the point in settling for a career which i don't enjoy or want but just doing for the sake of money
August 30, 2013 @ 01:33 AM
esjay

this is how I feel but im 16 bruh , you gotta get your shit str8 , not everyone can be a artist / creative mind and get paid to do it . 

MY FS THREAD , CHEAP ASS SHIT : http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/178540/

August 30, 2013 @ 01:36 AM
laserdis

I know exactly what you're coming from man. Every time teachers ask for a show of hands who wants to go to college, I'm always the only one who doesnt raise his hand.
It's cause getting a 9-5 job, getting married, having kids, watching them do the same shit and then dying isn't life at all. Kids at school always say they want to be a technician or lawyer or something, but I really doubt they actually like that shit, they only want it because of the job security or salary or whatever...

ANYWAY

Even though I totally understand you, I think all this talk about being an artist or musician is misguided...

If you are actually interested in music, making it should be your MAIN goal, cause it makes you happy, not for the fame or money  or whatever. 

And if you are worried about what your parents might say if you drop out, don't be. Fuck them. It's your life and you make the decisions fam.
August 30, 2013 @ 01:40 AM
Virunga

go to the army for a few years

Dear Virunga, You have received an infraction at Hypebeast Forums. Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)

August 30, 2013 @ 01:47 AM
cloudhype

I know exactly what you're coming from man. Every time teachers ask for a show of hands who wants to go to college, I'm always the only one who doesnt raise his hand.
It's cause getting a 9-5 job, getting married, having kids, watching them do the same shit and then dying isn't life at all. Kids at school always say they want to be a technician or lawyer or something, but I really doubt they actually like that shit, they only want it because of the job security or salary or whatever...

ANYWAY

Even though I totally understand you, I think all this talk about being an artist or musician is misguided...

If you are actually interested in music, making it should be your MAIN goal, cause it makes you happy, not for the fame or money  or whatever. 

And if you are worried about what your parents might say if you drop out, don't be. Fuck them. It's your life and you make the decisions fam.
Hmm, your right . Thing is, when your lost and everyone is racing on their own paths, it can be quite daunting at times. Like it motivates me of course but at the same time, i feel even more lost because the more i dig, the less i see...

Nah, it's nothing to do with the parents. I chose the course and the decision to go uni because i wanted to make something of myself and because i always wanted to go to uni. Uni has helped but it can only help to a certain extent. Your career, your life, your choices, it's all yours. Thing is, i am not even sure what in music, that i want to be. There's so many branches in music. I just know that i want to do something creative within music and do something within fashion. My problem is..just finding what it is  
August 30, 2013 @ 01:48 AM
cloudhype

go to the army for a few years
nah, i am not really interested in the army and all that
August 30, 2013 @ 01:55 AM
Pantic

ur never, NEVER gonna succeed in the music industry, and the same goes for fashion.
There's people out there slaving their ass off 24/7 no breaks to make it in those fields that will never make it. You just want to be in one of those fields because you like listening to music and fashion, it's not because you actually want to work with it. Tell me, do you know anything about working with music? Probably not. And your almost done with uni and still can't even pinpoint a direction within the industry you want to steer at, you have no chance. It's like you don't understand the real world tbh
August 30, 2013 @ 03:08 AM
slytendencies

Why dont you try for photography? If you like fashion it could be just what your looking for, something creative where your work would be praised, and you could travel to different parts of the world to work, maybe you could even work for fucking national geographic or some shit if you cant get a photography job involving fashion, obviously it all depends on your position and you'd be lucky to have one that lets you do all these things AND pays well but i mean if your lost and not working towards anything else, might as well give it a try.
August 30, 2013 @ 03:40 AM
No Fuxx Given

ur never, NEVER gonna succeed in the music industry, and the same goes for fashion.
There's people out there slaving their ass off 24/7 no breaks to make it in those fields that will never make it. You just want to be in one of those fields because you like listening to music and fashion, it's not because you actually want to work with it. Tell me, do you know anything about working with music? Probably not. And your almost done with uni and still can't even pinpoint a direction within the industry you want to steer at, you have no chance. It's like you don't understand the real world tbh
dickhead

Fly on little wing

August 30, 2013 @ 03:44 AM
MagnaDefender

This is the problem with the world tbh. Kids are going to college just to go to college. There is an influx of college students over the past few decades and not enough jobs for these graduates. Its now almost assumed that when you graduate high-school you are going to college. I'm not saying that college is bad but society needs to not be so eager to send everyone to college. For me I know that college wasn't for me. So now when I graduate high-school I'm going to tech school to be a mechanic.

Well not much help about the career choices, but in my opinion you are just another college kid that went to college to just go. Sorry bro. Hope you find what you wanna do. Figure out what you're passions are and  try and pursue something in that. 

HANSUM BOY IS HANSUM

August 30, 2013 @ 03:44 AM
suparise71

suspended

Your a very bitter person when ever someone posts something about there goals you always say they will never succeed.

- Tracy Jackson

https://twitter.com/tracyjackson71

August 30, 2013 @ 05:23 AM
frankieBRKLYN

I feel like this all the time but these are some of the things I have come to understand. At this point in time with the current socioeconomic influences (higher unemployment, seemingly unpayable student loans etc.) trying to pursue something in the fields you listed is literally a pipe dream, just go on the comments section of YouTube or look at the Starting Your Own Brand thread on the forums here, there are thousands and thousands of people wanting to become musicians, artists, entrepreneurs, how many of them do you think can sustain doing that and live off it? Chances are close to none. 

You have to understand that in this economy, whether or not you WANT to go school is irrelevant. Just look at graduates, around 50% unemployment rate, some of these people have Bachelors degrees etc. The pursuit of higher education is almost a necessity if you want any sort of well paying job or job security. 

I also hope you realize people who work in various careers probably fucking hate their jobs yet they work for years at them, why? Because it provides them with a salary they can live off of. 

Also real talk, anyone who tells you to go for what you love (i.e. music, fashion, etc) instead of doing something that gets you money (even if you don't like it) is bullshitting you. The harsh reality is that money rules over all, would you rather be getting money and living a secure life doing something you might not like or would you rather do something you like and be poor? Not saying people can't do what they love but in regards to the "entertainment" industry, trying to make it big is like winning the lottery, you pay in and pay in, there's always a chance you might possibly maybe win but more often than not you're wasting your time.

To conclude though, if you get money doing something you don't like after a while you can just retire or something if you have enough saved up and enjoy the rest of your life. I wish someone told me this when I was younger.
August 30, 2013 @ 08:47 AM
ThaGoldenBoy

This is the problem with the world tbh. Kids are going to college just to go to college. There is an influx of college students over the past few decades and not enough jobs for these graduates. Its now almost assumed that when you graduate high-school you are going to college. I'm not saying that college is bad but society needs to not be so eager to send everyone to college. For me I know that college wasn't for me. So now when I graduate high-school I'm going to tech school to be a mechanic.

Well not much help about the career choices, but in my opinion you are just another college kid that went to college to just go. Sorry bro. Hope you find what you wanna do. Figure out what you're passions are and  try and pursue something in that. 
It seems to be a problem all over the Western world (And maybe beyond).
August 30, 2013 @ 10:23 AM
Pantic

Your a very bitter person when ever someone posts something about there goals you always say they will never succeed.

- Tracy Jackson
Wrong, im just a realist

The OP is so god damn ignorant and the biggest problem with western society these days. 
There is so many young people today that wants what he does, working 3-4 days, be famous and travel the world lmao... It's pathetic how so many think they are unique and won't ever have to work hard in a regular ass job, when they usually have no talent, hell not even an attack plan on how to reach their goals... 
Society does more for you than you could possibly do for it, and im so tired of all these suburb rebels with no working morale.

TL;DR stfu about such an unrealistic lifestyle if you are not super talented in a profitable field.
August 30, 2013 @ 10:50 AM
cloudhype

Thanks. Literally. Not.
August 30, 2013 @ 10:51 AM
cloudhype

If you have nothing good to contribute, don't bother. You actually sound quite miserable tbh
August 30, 2013 @ 10:55 AM
cloudhype

Why dont you try for photography? If you like fashion it could be just what your looking for, something creative where your work would be praised, and you could travel to different parts of the world to work, maybe you could even work for fucking national geographic or some shit if you cant get a photography job involving fashion, obviously it all depends on your position and you'd be lucky to have one that lets you do all these things AND pays well but i mean if your lost and not working towards anything else, might as well give it a try.
Yeah, see thats the thing. I don't see the point, in immediately setting myself up any other career which i won't want to be in? I want to try my hand at new things so i can see whether they are for me or not. I have a part time job so it's not like i am planning to be some hippy or something. The photography idea sounds great! Thanks for that! I was going to consider taking a course in architecture but then i realized i would have to completely fund for th 3 year course as in the UK, after the first degree, the gov stops funding for the next course you take sad
August 30, 2013 @ 11:04 AM
cloudhype

I really get what you mean. In the UK, uni is now seen as nothing really special. So when people gradaute and go to job interviews, they are not really that regarded as they would have been, say 20 years ago. I mean, i believe it's a good thing that uni is available for everyone as many poor people (including i) would not have been able to go 20 years ago, if the gov didn't make it available for all (student loans etc) . However, it has reached to the point where every tom, dick and harry is going to uni and the prestige of going uni has now fallen.

One of the reasons, why i went to uni was because i was hoping within the 3 years that i would find myself, explore the many opportunities  there and eventually decide the career i want to pursue. While, i admit that many career opportunities were shown to me in uni and i am really thankful for that but i never could find what i wanted to do. However, i just don't believe in settling for something that i half want to do or something that my heart really isn't set in.  The fact  that i will have a degree, will help me greatly in the real world. I mean, i am still young so i still have time. Guess, i will have to keep looking through my passions. Thanks anyways
August 30, 2013 @ 11:07 AM
cloudhype

- Tracy Jackson
Wrong, im just a realist

The OP is so god damn ignorant and the biggest problem with western society these days. 
There is so many young people today that wants what he does, working 3-4 days, be famous and travel the world lmao... It's pathetic how so many think they are unique and won't ever have to work hard in a regular ass job, when they usually have no talent, hell not even an attack plan on how to reach their goals... 
Society does more for you than you could possibly do for it, and im so tired of all these suburb rebels with no working morale.

TL;DR stfu about such an unrealistic lifestyle if you are not super talented in a profitable field.
OK..i am just going to ignore you. Your not even worthing replying. Just full of so much bitterness and bullshit ;)
August 30, 2013 @ 11:09 AM
cloudhype

- Tracy Jackson
he does? wow, sounds like a miserable shit, pissed with his own life hahah
August 30, 2013 @ 11:32 AM
Mattaker

the music industry isn't the only one that matches the aspects that you mentioned. You could become a youtuber for example. All you need is an idea and balls.
August 30, 2013 @ 11:34 AM
kernzn

buy 1 lotery ticket, if you win - well played if you don't win you gotta think about real work again
August 30, 2013 @ 11:37 AM
Jonnn8

Its not always easy finding what you want to do in life. Its one of the biggest decisions in your life, not to add pressure ha. And some people might seem like they have it all figured out but thats often just because they want to seem confident and like they know what theyre doing. 

Dont stress about it too much, youre still really young and you shouldnt have your life figured out 100 per cent. Just try different jobs and fields and maybe talk to a career advisor or somehting. But you will probably not achieve all those things in your list, you need to be more realistic. If you want money, go for that. If you want to be creative, free, wild and travel, do that. Those two practically never overlap.
August 30, 2013 @ 12:03 PM
Olive C

Based on your criteria, have you thought about working in the media? Like TV production or radio? These are things you can easily get internships in, and who knows, it could turn into something.

Whatever you do, just keep having faith that you will find something you love. And you will. You have time while you are Young to struggle a bit and make mistakes. Give yourself 5-10 years before you give up and sell out on the job you hate...
August 30, 2013 @ 12:44 PM
Jonnn8

Or maybe just do some traveling and try get some perspective on things. This obviously require some cash so you would have t save up for a while. Just an idea, I know it has worked for many of my friends... 
August 30, 2013 @ 12:57 PM
Pantic

OK..i am just going to ignore you. Your not even worthing replying. Just full of so much bitterness and bullshit ;)

You won't even work for your dream, you just want it. You could have interned at a radio station, art gallery, sound studio or anything else. You could have put in hours and hours of research in the fields that interest you, how else would you narrow down what you actually want to do? - Im not bitter, and certainly not full of bullshit. Im trying to make you understand just how miserably you will fail if you don't change your attitude while you still can.  

Im not saying it's impossible for you, im saying there's people that work 10 times harder than you to reach the same goal you have and thats a fact. Thus you need to understand that a work hard mentality is necessary when trying to get somewhere in life. Worrying about how many hours you work, travelling and all that comes later, not in college.

Im actually helping you out, but your own fault if you want to stay ignorant and think the "you can do it bruh just believe" bullshit responses are helping.

Edit: I respond to threads like this very rough, because it will either push you into defending your dream and trying to come up with actual reasons why you could possibly succeed at reaching them, or be submissive and ignore it (the wrong reaction)
August 30, 2013 @ 07:21 PM
dmwalking

Aight, angry Dave about to drop on you for a second.  

First off, you're asking us to decide your life for you?  

Second, how are you only 21 and you have so little passion that all you can think about is a few things that you like.  Son, if you don't even love anything strong enough to want to do just that forever, than no career will make you happy.  You'd be bored at anything cuz you just lack passion. 

I'm a keep it simple for you.  Stop being a big ass baby.  The odds of you making a lot of money off of something you love are slim. Very slim. If it were that easy, we would have no janitor or people flipping our burgers.   You have to choose up front: Lot of money, or lots of freedom. Money comes at a cost.  Even if you go into business for yourself, if you want to make money, your time is consumed by that job. 

You list of what you'd like in a career is like everybody's dream genius.  You gotta decide what you're good at and do it. 

"Oh I wanna be the one doing what's creative."   Son, are you creative or not?  I'm leaning towards not because you're not even creative enough to figure out what you wanna do with your life. 

Get some passion.  Pursue that until your fingers bleed. 

/rant

Last name Ever, first name Worst Mod

August 30, 2013 @ 07:23 PM
dmwalking

Based on your criteria, have you thought about working in the media? Like TV production or radio? These are things you can easily get internships in, and who knows, it could turn into something.

Whatever you do, just keep having faith that you will find something you love. And you will. You have time while you are Young to struggle a bit and make mistakes. Give yourself 5-10 years before you give up and sell out on the job you hate...
He wants to be the one DOING the vague creative thing, not the one reporting on it.  SMH.

August 30, 2013 @ 07:29 PM
dmwalking

Nigs hating on Pantic but dude is properly assessing OP's attitude.   Simply wanting something isn't enough.  If you just went to college for 3 years for something you don't want, and still don't know what you want, and want everything but at the same time don't know wtf you want, and you're asking a message board for direction.......well son, you lack the damn drive and vision that it takes to succeed in any field that will afford you those luxuries you seek. 

August 30, 2013 @ 07:46 PM
craigsagersuit

what is it that you want to do exactly? find that thing that you really love and just grind and hustle. think outside the box, that's how you make money w/out working that 9-5 life. NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. don't be afraid to talk to people, because you never know who you're going to meet. some dude you play ball with at the gym might turn out to be a fashion designer for some big company. be open to other people and socialize.

drive and passion can really take you far man. if you love what you're doing and you have the passion for it, you will find a way to make money off of it. try to learn as much as possible and the field that you're going into. the minute you think that you know everything, you lost.

oh and know that you will have some hard times and you will need to make a lot of sacrifice if you're not willing to go thru that 9-5 life. life tests you. up to you to overcome it

He's cute? I bet he ain't #Hansum

Please login first to reply.