FLASH SALE - 25% OFF - USE CODE: FLASH25 (25 HOURS ONLY)
July 1, 2013 @ 03:09 AM
thrillmatic

In the past, when I heard a black person complaining about the depiction of black culture on TV, I didn't know how to discuss the issue with them. Now, I usually give them one very short and concise statement.

"Don't watch TV."

Most who hear this, whether white, black or otherwise can't digest my statement. If black people hate the way they're portrayed on TV, why don't they find another avenue to entertain themselves? Music is much more forgiving isn't as powerful an influence, since sight is the sense most tied to memory.

(BTW, I'm black, but I've never really cared if non-black people add their two cents about race-related issues as long as their opinions are sensible)

EDIT: Try not to assume that I'm blaming the victim. I would never step on someone's neck in order to prove a point.

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

July 1, 2013 @ 03:15 AM
Captain Al

Here we go again.

tumblr: bankpaper.tumblr.com Instagram: @bankpaper

July 1, 2013 @ 03:22 AM
Captain Al

Yes, because brushing off and ignoring the negative depictions of your group of people will certainty make things better, or make racism (yes, it's racism) disappear.

Blacks aren't the only ones being portrayed negative. When people get offended it's not because they get emotional. Being portrayed in these ways influences negative stereotypes. This will obviously affect the group portrayed socially.
It can also create insecurities within those who are part of the portrayed group... which is the worse of all things. 

The media tells us how to feel.

tumblr: bankpaper.tumblr.com Instagram: @bankpaper

July 1, 2013 @ 03:37 AM
teefsweat

I actually remember lyrics in songs more than I remember commercials & shows on TV.

but then again, I'm desensitized to anything I see.
July 1, 2013 @ 03:54 AM
SonOfRise

If black people didn't like the way they are portrayed then why would the black actors/actresses act the way they do?
Thread has no point IMO.
But man it's what ever if it doesn't hurt you why care?
Me personally I don't like black people on tv and I'm not even black. Like my little cousin was watching that show ANT farm and damn those black people in that show can't act for shit and the white people to!
I liked Friday probably one of my favorite movies of all time. And I guess black people were portrayed bad in that movie but hey it was funny as fuck.

Zooey Deschanel is waifu

July 1, 2013 @ 04:04 AM
applesauce

It's this idea of corporate responsibility. Every dollar you spend is a vote. Corporations only respond to money. They have no conscience. So by watching racist TV you are voting for it and perpetuating it. It only exists because people watch it not because TV networks are racist.
July 1, 2013 @ 05:29 AM
Black Donald Trump

they're definitely not portrayed any better in music, probably way worse actually. actually you dont really even see black people on tv unless they're plain ball or on some commercial acting "white"
July 1, 2013 @ 05:32 AM
JohnvHarrison

If black people didn't like the way they are portrayed then why would the black actors/actresses act the way they do?
to get paid nigga are you dumb?

http://www.theyhatechange.com Beauty Squad Click on the rise #B$C Get down or lay down

July 1, 2013 @ 01:41 PM
Bishop Don SpacePimp

to get paid nigga are you dumb?
This.

I've been known to invoke......FEELINGS. #NoPromo #NoFearGang #AntiMuffinMovement

July 1, 2013 @ 03:09 PM
thrillmatic

can a nigga dream big anymore?

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

July 1, 2013 @ 03:45 PM
Black Donald Trump

It's this idea of corporate responsibility. Every dollar you spend is a vote. Corporations only respond to money. They have no conscience. So by watching racist TV you are voting for it and perpetuating it. It only exists because people watch it not because TV networks are racist.
Yes. Don't assume I'm talking out of my ass. I don't watch TV. I've finished 6 books this year which weren't related to any coursework. Aiming for 20 by the end of the year. I think most people aren't disappointed with the way African-Americans are displayed in mass media, but instead most couldn't fathom black people actually readin' dem big ol' books in dey free time.

they're definitely not portrayed any better in music, probably way worse actually. actually you dont really even see black people on tv unless they're plain ball or on some commercial acting "white"
The "acting white" phenomenon deserves its own thread, but I can easily use a simple statement to discuss this. There's no proof that the different phenotypes (races) has specific variations in brain structure which cause each phenotype to behave differently. The evolution of culture due to various conditions (but mostly phenotype variation through mutation, geography and weather) is what caused Europeans and other cultures to have distinct contrasts. Genrally, environment plays the largest role in behavioral traits. I'll stop there cause anything else usually comes off as borderline racist to black people especially.

Most people can only relate to each other through sports, period. The gladiator spirit is deeply engrained in the human condition, and that essence allows us to identify with someone who shares such a passion. In fact, many people will overlook disparities and inconsistencies harbored by someone who shares the same group sport identity (via standing for the same team/side). Think of European football players and fans spewing racist comments, only for their fellow fans to brush it off then call out an opposing team's player or fan for the same mistake. I'm not content with knowing that blacks receive the greatest publicity through sports but if that helps us get along with white people then I'm for it. I only become disillusioned when I realize that many people only see African-Americans for nothing more than athletes and entertainers, plus, many blacks have self-internalized that mentality.

But yeah, I do think most niggas are too sensitive.
July 1, 2013 @ 03:46 PM
Black Donald Trump

Yes. Don't assume I'm talking out of my ass. I don't watch TV. I've finished 6 books this year which weren't related to any coursework. Aiming for 20 by the end of the year. I think most people aren't disappointed with the way African-Americans are displayed in mass media, but instead most couldn't fathom black people actually readin' dem big ol' books in dey free time.

The "acting white" phenomenon deserves its own thread, but I can easily use a simple statement to discuss this. There's no proof that the different phenotypes (races) has specific variations in brain structure which cause each phenotype to behave differently. The evolution of culture due to various conditions (but mostly phenotype variation through mutation, geography and weather) is what caused Europeans and other cultures to have distinct contrasts. Genrally, environment plays the largest role in behavioral traits. I'll stop there cause anything else usually comes off as borderline racist to black people especially.

Most people can only relate to each other through sports, period. The gladiator spirit is deeply engrained in the human condition, and that essence allows us to identify with someone who shares such a passion. In fact, many people will overlook disparities and inconsistencies harbored by someone who shares the same group sport identity (via standing for the same team/side). Think of European football players and fans spewing racist comments, only for their fellow fans to brush it off then call out an opposing team's player or fan for the same mistake. I'm not content with knowing that blacks receive the greatest publicity through sports but if that helps us get along with white people then I'm for it. I only become disillusioned when I realize that many people only see African-Americans for nothing more than athletes and entertainers, plus, many blacks have self-internalized that mentality.

But yeah, I do think most niggas are too sensitive.
word, the "acting white" comment was meant to be sarcastic, it actually really annoys me when people talk tha way as if different races are supposed to act certain ways. 
July 1, 2013 @ 03:52 PM
smartmonkey

black people eat chicken. what do you expect?

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

July 1, 2013 @ 05:57 PM
damnwitless1

this thread is fucking stupid, one of the main reasons racism continues to exist is due to media portrayals of minorities.  OBVIOUSLY individuals of said groups will utilize their intimate knowledge of stereotypes to make themselves marketable TO the white majority but it doesn't change the fact that the whole process reinforces negative perceptions of blacks (or whoever) to people who don't have the context to understand the difference between entertainment and real life.

Case in point: Miley Cyrus twerking onstage at a Juicy J concert and telling all of her white fans that she's embracing "blackness", there's a lot more to black culture than shaking one's ass but all of the people who don't know that and take Miley Cyrus' word at face value will continue to hold the perception of black people as simply ass-shaking clowns and that is the definition of racism.

It's really a lose-lose situation but the idea that "not watching TV" is going to solve anything is dumb as fuck

All I do is smoke weed and listen to MF DOOM innercitykidsmusic.com

July 1, 2013 @ 06:11 PM
bjornvan

I could give a shit about anybody who thinks the way a certain race act on tv portrays how that entire race act.More than likely that person is simple minded and I could give shit what a ignoramus person thinks
July 1, 2013 @ 06:48 PM
Master Flash

You know what's wrong with Black People on TV? BET. As lon as BET is around, black people will continue to look like idiots. It's an excellent cover.

Changing the Past.

July 1, 2013 @ 07:09 PM
thrillmatic

It's really a lose-lose situation but the idea that "not watching TV" is going to solve anything is dumb as fuck

July 1, 2013 @ 07:12 PM
damnwitless1

I mean the only thing that can be done is deep education reform, but since thats priority like 7 for the federal government we can safely assume it won't happen any time soon.

All I do is smoke weed and listen to MF DOOM innercitykidsmusic.com

July 1, 2013 @ 11:12 PM
Quan292

Won't work because other races will still watch the shows and develop these negative views on Blacks.
July 1, 2013 @ 11:28 PM
thrillmatic

Won't work because other races will still watch the shows and develop these negative views on Blacks.
The best thing black people can do for themselves is to identify the stereotypes and not internalize them. Doesn't your mind get fucked with when you realize that Urkel and Carlton got labeled as the losers for being awkward or uptight, while Will and Eddie were the cool niggas for being slick and athletic? How the fuck is coolness and athleticism supposed to help a nigga get a job?!

Then again, Jaleel (Urkel) and Alfonso (Carlton) ironically both only date white women. What a world we live in...

July 2, 2013 @ 02:16 AM
Cheeched

lol how bout asian people breh. All the asians are kung fu masters on tv famlay
July 2, 2013 @ 02:39 AM
thrillmatic

let's trade

July 23, 2013 @ 08:32 AM
_TerenceDion

cant blame black people for playing the cards they're given. not everyone can afford to be a radical.
July 23, 2013 @ 10:26 AM
(G)TRAP

suspended

Y'all straight. I grew up around a lot of Asians and even though you have little visibility in mass media, y'all have your shit together. For real. Responsible, diligent, humble. If I'm stereotyping y'all then be proud of it, I wish niggas could emulate your culture.
coon
July 23, 2013 @ 01:05 PM
dmwalking

Dumb post.

"I think it's bad that people are being poisoned."
"Don't watch people get poisoned."
"If I don't watch, people will still get poisoned. Not watching solves nothing."
"But at least you're not watching."

That's your logic op. Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away. Ignoring a tumor doesn't heal it. Media portrayal of black people is oftentimes racist and the only exposure to black culture that half of America sees. People have the right to not like it and want change.

How am I not even black and I know this?

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

July 23, 2013 @ 01:14 PM
dmwalking

"It's this idea of corporate responsibility. Every dollar you spend is a vote. Corporations only respond to money. They have no conscience. So by watching racist TV you are voting for it and perpetuating it. It only exists because people watch it not because TV networks are racist."

Yes and no. Yes they respond to money. But they also damn near brainwash people into wanting things they don't want. Marketing. They tell you what to want.

. Plus, even when they respond to money, it's usually just smoke and mirrors.

Example, naked juice. This is a clear response by Pepsi co to appease more health conscious consumers. Problem is it was still loaded with sugar and recently discovered to not be all natural as they advertised on the label. So yeah, vote with your dollars and they'll respond...with a way to work around what you really asked for.

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

July 23, 2013 @ 02:44 PM
RealFlyBoiShawn

pointless thread, take ya preaching ass some where else with that brah
July 23, 2013 @ 07:44 PM
thrillmatic

Dumb post.

"If I don't watch, people will still get poisoned. Not watching solves nothing."

That's your logic op. Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away. Ignoring a tumor doesn't heal it. Media portrayal of black people is oftentimes racist and the only exposure to black culture that half of America sees. People have the right to not like it and want change.

Good observation. The original post was regarding my educated black friends, who still carry a certain amount of self-pity that came out again during the Zimmerman case. They rather complain than become engaged and taking matters into their own hands by solving the problems within the community. I am addressing the problem, planning on getting involved with the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization in my city. Only patience and education can make these problems go away.

No.

July 23, 2013 @ 08:08 PM
dmwalking

The best thing black people can do for themselves is to identify the stereotypes and not internalize them. Doesn't your mind get fucked with when you realize that Urkel and Carlton got labeled as the losers for being awkward or uptight, while Will and Eddie were the cool niggas for being slick and athletic? How the fuck is coolness and athleticism supposed to help a nigga get a job?!

Then again, Jaleel (Urkel) and Alfonso (Carlton) ironically both only date white women. What a world we live in...
This is a good post though.  It's a great way to get rid of certain stereotypes. I mean, Indians aren't known for being lazy. Asians are stereotyped as being smart.  IMO, black people were headed that direction for years under the civil rights movement.  But there's evidence of systematic oppression.  Like the assassinations of the biggest leaders and imprisonment of smaller leaders.  And crack hitting hard after segregation fell.  Recently the housing crisis was largely a minority problem coincidentally during a time where the wealth gap was starting to close a bit.  

So that said, ideally, it sounds good. But it's def easier said than done. With poor schooling (and further budget cuts to those poor schools) and the school to jail pipeline, it's a tall order to get people to prioritize education and legal entrepreneurship.   A leader ain't needed. Leaders are needed. 

July 23, 2013 @ 08:11 PM
dmwalking

Dumb post.

Good observation. The original post was regarding my educated black friends, who still carry a certain amount of self-pity that came out again during the Zimmerman case. They rather complain than become engaged and taking matters into their own hands by solving the problems within the community. I am addressing the problem, planning on getting involved with the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization in my city. Only patience and education can make these problems go away.

No.
That's admirable bro.  You do have to be part of the solution.   Just be mindful that you don't come across as condescending or pitying.  Also, don't let kids take advantage. I had a boy do the big brother thing and little kids kept trying to hustle dough out of him. You gotta be firm but fair. 

Please login first to reply.