Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
June 10, 2013 @ 10:58 PM
awhitehippy

I understand that there are several racism threads -- but many have been left untouched and are irrelevant in a sense to this topic. If you're just going to contribute to this thread by saying it was "tl;dr" or other irrelevant things please note it will be ignored and just scrolled over, I am not telling you to not post on this thread because you can do whatever the fuck you want.

But regardless, I just want to talk about Racism's aspects along with it's fallacies. Racism has been an ongoing issue and topic throughout many generations and it won't ever stop, that's at least certain. But we are so oblivious to our contributions to Racism and we think every effort to pay our dues to ethnic groups help -- but really don't. This sort of ties into how we celebrate, or have a month celebrating Black History. I am not nor do I see myself as a racist person but why should we be only celebrating one race? I am not saying to give months to Asians and Whites as well but as to sort or revise this -- or get rid of the month.  I may not be making sense, or not explaining it correctly, but Morgan Freeman sure does. 

He brings up good points in this interview, which are very true. Our dream brought forth from our fore fathers is for every human being to be equal, if so, why should a specific race be praised?  Why do we need a black history month if we're all equal? 

And this brings me to my other question, the question regarding the offensive use of the term, "nigger." The words has a lot of history carried with it and undoubtedly offensive, but offensive to an extent. The word has and is used by African Americans but is not found to be offensive in all those cases. Dating back to time where Nas sought to name his album, "Nigger" or when he wore shirts with the name branded on it with Kelis.

Obviously Nas got some sort of negative feedback on how offensive it was, but at one point Nas found it okay, or found himself comfortable using the word. And that's exactly how it goes for some African Americans, they will use the word without hesitation and find it okay but when another ethnic group uses it, it shows to be a big offense. Nigger has also transfused and picked up a new version of the word, "nigga." This word is even MORE commonly used, among ALL groups and it doesn't seem to bother anyone. Why not? It's basically the same thing. But digressing back, could the use of the word "Nigger" only be found offensive when non-African Americans use it? If so, why is the word "Faggot" thrown around so freely? Obviously African Americans underwent horrible treatment in the past, but so did homosexuals. We must not forget that not only Jews were killed during the Holocaust, but also Homosexuals. Faggot is used among every group and culture and it's become a social norm of diction and slang.

Racism is simply a two way street. I believe praising and celebrating specific ethnic groups IS a form of Racism to other groups. We should all be equal and that goes without saying that we don't need certain months to remember our history.

But this is all just me rambling about things I may not have so much knowledge on, what are your guys thoughts?

x

June 10, 2013 @ 11:00 PM
cuh

word nigga
June 10, 2013 @ 11:06 PM
Captain Al

dead at that logic. according to OP, racism doesn't exist.

and if we stop talking about it it won't exist.

tumblr: bankpaper.tumblr.com

June 10, 2013 @ 11:09 PM
YoungRizal

Race is a label that's been distracting us humans to advance to our next level of state. Everyone should be seen and treated equal

FS - Supreme Nupste, WTAPS Parasmock ETC

June 10, 2013 @ 11:09 PM
Panther.

^Are you serious? Great way to set up a stick man

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Florida State Seminole

June 10, 2013 @ 11:11 PM
Black Donald Trump

ive never understood how nigga can be racist coming out of one persons mouth and not racist when coming out of another person's mouth, when used in the same context. actually i do understand, its not. not that white people should go around saying nigga. 
June 10, 2013 @ 11:12 PM
Captain Al

damn my dude said 
I believe praising and celebrating specific ethnic groups IS a form of Racism to other groups

do you not understand why Colored people create certain groups/associations/etc? Literally everything in the Western world is white dominated "culture". Television, literature for an example, all forms of media/entertainment are made for the white majority

I don't blame you, you have that white privilege.

June 10, 2013 @ 11:13 PM
awhitehippy

I've never said I was looking for a solution to the end of Racism -- it's ultimately impossible. It's a confusing and hard subject that contradicts itself greatly at times. I was simply only talking about Racism and what I feel about it. Evidently and inevitably I will twist my words but those are just mistakes, and hence, "me rambling about things I may not have so much knowledge on."

x

June 10, 2013 @ 11:16 PM
NapoleonComplex

people were lynched being called niggers. and now their descendants use the same word as a term of endearment towards one another.

fuck logic. 

FUCK DREWBACCA | smh fuck REVS to....

June 10, 2013 @ 11:19 PM
Captain Al

I've never said I was looking for a solution to the end of Racism -- it's ultimately impossible. It's a confusing and hard subject that contradicts itself greatly at times. I was simply only talking about Racism and what I feel about it. Evidently and inevitably I will twist my words but those are just mistakes, and hence, "me rambling about things I may not have so much knowledge on."
regardless if those are your opinions, it's wrong. I'm not trying to be negative here. 

You know racism is wrong, that's good. Yet,you haven't come to realize how it affects the victims. You don't understand why non-whites embrace, celebrate, and promote their ethnic culture.

Whether it be by a month or the subject of appropriating a word (that has a very strong meaning), or anything, it is positive for that group. It's not racism.

First off, tell me YOUR definition of racism. 

June 10, 2013 @ 11:31 PM
Nyc93

Gotta agree wit captain al here. Google white privelege op, I see al took a few sociology courses in college huh bro? Lol

FS: Supreme SS14 Baseball Henley Black Large 220 Shipped

June 10, 2013 @ 11:35 PM
WhoIsCaesar

Ima just go ignore the Holocaust. maybe that will bring all the Jews back.

I hashtagged the hashtag and trademarked the trademark

June 10, 2013 @ 11:44 PM
Nyc93

Also the amount of homosexuals that were murdered during the holocaust was much smaller then the amount of Jews. Your comparison of the two does not hold its weight

FS: Supreme SS14 Baseball Henley Black Large 220 Shipped

June 10, 2013 @ 11:44 PM
awhitehippy

regardless if those are your opinions, it's wrong. I'm not trying to be negative here. 

You know racism is wrong, that's good. Yet,you haven't come to realize how it affects the victims. You don't understand why non-whites embrace, celebrate, and promote their ethnic culture.

Whether it be by a month or the subject of appropriating a word (that has a very strong meaning), or anything, it is positive for that group. It's not racism.

First off, tell me YOUR definition of racism. 
Nor am I saying you're being negative, I appreciate your response since it's an actual debate and not nonsense. I have already mentioned that I may not know so much, so I'm all ears to all sides of Racism's debates.

Racism in my view is prejudice and discrimination towards a certain group based on prior stereotypes of some sort.
I can see that my argument towards Black History Month can be biased since I've honestly have only surrounded myself with one sided of the argument, but I have always felt it was sort of wrong.

But I don't think we go as far as branding those sources as "(Ethnic group) Television." Many of our entertainment as mentioned are aimed towards certain groups, but they are still relatable to African Americans. Some may say Tv shows cast African Americans to avoid Racist debates towards the channel, but if we flip to BET we see that the majority of a show's cast is African American. This may be my ignorance speaking but  it is safe to say the whole population on channels like BET are Black, but obviously since its, "Black Entertainment Television." At least shows and kids shows have diverse groups, we can see it in old shows like, "That's So Raven"(I'm not up to date with current kids tv shows) We simply don't brand our entertainment, we don't seclude our activities to only one specific groups. In my school we have "Black Student Union, (BSU)" No whites are permitted but every other club Blacks are, and if Blacks were ever NOT permitted to a club the school would have so much controversy. I don't believe modern entertainment like shows are only directed to one ethnic group, they are all relatable to all classes and groups so I believe. I have a couple African American and Asian friends and they are ALL into the same things I like, well not everything -- but many things. They like the same shows, movies, music, etc. So we can't say those entertainment shows are only directed to whites, because if I were an owner of a channel I'd want everyone to watch the shows, I'd want more ratings so why seclude your shows to be only relatable to one race.

x

June 10, 2013 @ 11:46 PM

Inactive

The thing is there are special and specific cirumstances that brought forth the creation of a black history month. Its not like people just went "you know what? black people are so much cooler I think we should dedicate one whole month of the year on how cool they are" out the blue.

Slavery and segregation are not as far behind us as you might think. There are people alive that their grandparents were slaves. People alive today went through segregation. Black history month is to celebrate and give homage to the heroes who gave everything they had to give back to black people the humanity and identity that was stripped from them.

What do you think wouldve been better? If white people just went "Well you know what guys slavery and segration are officially over, lets jus act like it never happened ok? Lets just move on and be all be friends?" No, it doesn't work like that. Nothing will make up for the hundreds of years of suffering they went through. They have a right to be reminded of their triumph over inhumanity. They have a right to celebrate their victory.

Personally, I don't even see how you can view Black History Month as blacks putting themselves over others races in any kind of way. It's zero about that. And it's very normal and common for a group of any kind, ethnic or not, to remember and celebrate getting over hard moments in their histoty.
June 10, 2013 @ 11:46 PM
Doobie

faget

While there's life there is hope, only the dead have none.

June 10, 2013 @ 11:48 PM

Inactive

people were lynched being called niggers. and now their descendants use the same word as a term of endearment towards one another.

fuck logic. 
What are you saying man. It's very logical and has been common in history for a degraded group to flip around degrading terms that were used agaisnt them to empower themselves.
June 10, 2013 @ 11:55 PM
Ape

http://WORLDWIDEwavy.tumblr.com/

June 11, 2013 @ 01:10 AM
awhitehippy

Slavery and segregation are not as far behind us as you might think. There are people alive that their grandparents were slaves. People alive today went through segregation. Black history month is to celebrate and give homage to the heroes who gave everything they had to give back to black people the humanity and identity that was stripped from them.

What do you think wouldve been better? If white people just went "Well you know what guys slavery and segration are officially over, lets jus act like it never happened ok? Lets just move on and be all be friends?" No, it doesn't work like that. Nothing will make up for the hundreds of years of suffering they went through. They have a right to be reminded of their triumph over inhumanity. They have a right to celebrate their victory.

Personally, I don't even see how you can view Black History Month as blacks putting themselves over others races in any kind of way. It's zero about that. And it's very normal and common for a group of any kind, ethnic or not, to remember and celebrate getting over hard moments in their histoty.
We seem to have forgotten the horrible treatment we made Native Americans endure? Was the Trail of Tears not relevant? What about their suffering, what about the Japanese American internment? Regardless how how severe their treatment was in comparison to African Americans they still suffered. I ask you, what does it take to get a annual homage? Why don't Native Americans have a month? But I'm not asking for an implementation of a month celebrating Native Americans, nor am I stopping them from making one. But we can't be so narrow-minded as to think that African Americans were the only ones who suffered. Maybe they suffered the most, but so did others.
And I repeat, I am not calling nor am searching for an end to racism, it can't be found. I am not saying to eliminate Black History Month and I am not saying to add a month for another ethnic group. 

x

June 11, 2013 @ 01:30 AM
oneallah

dont want to get into a whole thing here, but racism does very much exist one way or another in all parts of the world
June 11, 2013 @ 02:33 AM
Wavey_LenZ

If you can accept that racism is more than just hurling insults and that certain groups in society are more oppressed than others then you can also accept that when say, a black person uses racist language it is not racism but their reaction to the racism they receive in and that is perpetuated by society.
It is also wrong to say that all white people benefit from racism.
June 11, 2013 @ 02:39 AM
EEK

I'm a honkie cracker and proud.

.wa do dem.

June 11, 2013 @ 02:48 AM
goldANDsacks

We seem to have forgotten the horrible treatment we made Native Americans endure? Was the Trail of Tears not relevant? What about their suffering, what about the Japanese American internment? Regardless how how severe their treatment was in comparison to African Americans they still suffered. I ask you, what does it take to get a annual homage? Why don't Native Americans have a month? But I'm not asking for an implementation of a month celebrating Native Americans, nor am I stopping them from making one. But we can't be so narrow-minded as to think that African Americans were the only ones who suffered. Maybe they suffered the most, but so did others.
And I repeat, I am not calling nor am searching for an end to racism, it can't be found. I am not saying to eliminate Black History Month and I am not saying to add a month for another ethnic group. 
black bieber makes a great point (that's a weird sentence). 

black history month exists as a way for white people to throw a bone back to the black people. it's like... "hey sorry about slavery. that was fucked up. here, have february". 

the opposite of racism is equality, right? but you have to ask, is there a running tally? to end racism, do we just suddenly all stop where we are and start equal? or, do we have to make up for past atrocities when one side dominated the other before we can start on equal footing? this goes into that whole reparation discussion. 

the reason black history month exists and native american history month does exist is because there's not enough native american people anymore. black history month exists because black people said "no, that was fucked up, we deserve something." unfortunately there's no native americans doing the same thing (at a grand level). 

why are tv shows/movies so white? because a majority of hollywood has been historically white. and white people create/write/produce white characters in white stories for white people. that's just because that's what they know. on the flipside, why are most professional athletes black? are "white sports" like hockey the equivalent of BET?

i agree with you and morgan freeman though. i think black history month is retarded and there's much better ways to pay respect to the abolishment of slavery and the civil rights movement. but there's also probably a lot of money to be made in this (what is essentially) holiday. that probably has something to do with it too. 
June 11, 2013 @ 02:55 AM
koolgtrap

freeman is a coon
June 11, 2013 @ 03:01 AM
jamesjebbia

black people having a month is in no way shape or form racist it's just a celebration and them being proud of who they are b

we're all a little racist whether we would like to own up to it or not it is true

but if we didn't catch feels off of words we can in some way lower the effects but that would never happen
June 13, 2013 @ 08:13 PM
piccolo

I always lol @ white people on the internet asking why they can't say nigga.

If you weren't saying it before why the heck do you want to say it now for? don't be a poser.

And i can tell the difference between white person who's been saying it and who was raised around hood/urban blacks by their accent.

It sounds weird hearing suburban kids say it because they don't have that accent, their english sounds so "proper" so hearing them add a "a" or "ah" at the end makes it sound forced.

Follow if you like homegrown/amateur shots of ass and tits ! http://girlsaroundthenet.tumblr.com/

June 13, 2013 @ 08:21 PM
Josh.

fuck logic. 
What are you saying man. It's very logical and has been common in history for a degraded group to flip around degrading terms that were used agaisnt them to empower themselves.
you don't hear Jewish people calling each other kikes

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

June 14, 2013 @ 12:29 AM
cheyaaa

enhance the mind

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

June 14, 2013 @ 12:57 AM
AndreLutherKing

I always lol @ white people on the internet asking why they can't say nigga.

If you weren't saying it before why the heck do you want to say it now for? don't be a poser.

And i can tell the difference between white person who's been saying it and who was raised around hood/urban blacks by their accent.

It sounds weird hearing suburban kids say it because they don't have that accent, their english sounds so "proper" so hearing them add a "a" or "ah" at the end makes it sound forced.
Word. I don't even give a fuck if people say it anymore tbh, as long as they aren't forcing themselves to say it. You can tell the difference between people who say it to say it & who say it to seem cool. 

Chicks barely dancin, glancin every chance they get, like - oh shit, he's so HANSUM

June 21, 2013 @ 09:28 AM
teefsweat

Nas should be allowed to do whatever he wants, because he is Nas.
He gained that privilege a long time ago. 

Please login first to reply.