June 4, 2013 @ 05:54 PM
redstar

No, but I just looked up Golden Crown. Although the tattoo shop and barbershop are both located in Orange County.
Interesting.  Good to know!  Your story about the artwork for their shirts and whatnot is sweet.  I'm three years out of school, and still trying to establish myself.  I'm thinking about opening up my own business at this point, as my efforts have been less than fruitful.
June 4, 2013 @ 06:50 PM
powerball

reason a lot of people with bachelor's can't get jobs is
1) resume doesn't stand out.
2) you majored in something really stupid and now it's worthless
3) your college isn't prestigious and can't make up for your lack of experience. especially for business majors at smaller state schools, they get pushed aside once the resumes from more prestigious school students start flowing in.
June 4, 2013 @ 07:10 PM
Specification

No, but I just looked up Golden Crown. Although the tattoo shop and barbershop are both located in Orange County.
Interesting.  Good to know!  Your story about the artwork for their shirts and whatnot is sweet.  I'm three years out of school, and still trying to establish myself.  I'm thinking about opening up my own business at this point, as my efforts have been less than fruitful.
That's good man,  don't wait around for companies to come to you, because they won't, unless you have already established and made a name for yourself. I was actually talking to my marketing professor (he's worked for IBM, Subway, and some other big companies). He's never been at a company full time or even part time, all his jobs were one time gigs. He said it took him about 15 years for his marketing agency to become all referral based, meaning friends recommended other friends to him, before that he had to call up companies, call up local businesses, go to business social meetings and he had to really put himself out there. He had to SELL the idea to companies and owners of businesses of WHY they needed him and a marketing/strategy plan. So to me it's more of marketing and sales + Advertisement, not just marketing alone.

He basically told me this, marketing major is like the "art major of business". Everyone can major in it, it's pretty easy, kinda like an art major. It's also very competitive because a lot people do it because its easy. So you really have to stand out, you really have to be good at what you do. Again, it's not like an accounting major where you can just be decent and you'll get a job. IMO, the best thing you can with a marketing major is start your own business or projects. Think about it, what kind of company is gonna drop money on a marketing major student that came right out of college? If I owned a company, I wouldn't either, I'd pay more money to get the guy that's worked with Nike and whatever other big companies. It's not like an accounting major where your skills are somewhat tangible, for marketing everything is all just talk and ideas. Anyways, Good luck man.

Also two books you should read that I've found very helpful. "The Purple cow" and "Blue Ocean Marketing".
June 4, 2013 @ 07:24 PM
Specification

Graduated this past December with my Bachelor's in International Business. Had a relevant marketing internship / job through my last couple of years in university but left the company right before the business got shut down. I've been applying for jobs and sending out my resume via job boards/sites like Malakye, Monster and Linkedin but feel like it's a waste of time.

I definitely feel like the most solid way to find and secure a job is through networking which I wish I had done more of. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you used to work at Triumvir right?

If you don't mind me asking, as the marketing guy what did you do there? What were your main tasks and objectives within in the company? What was a typical day for you like?
June 4, 2013 @ 08:05 PM
redstar

That's good man,  don't wait around for companies to come to you, because they won't, unless you have already established and made a name for yourself. I was actually talking to my marketing professor (he's worked for IBM, Subway, and some other big companies). He's never been at a company full time or even part time, all his jobs were one time gigs. He said it took him about 15 years for his marketing agency to become all referral based, meaning friends recommended other friends to him, before that he had to call up companies, call up local businesses, go to business social meetings and he had to really put himself out there. He had to SELL the idea to companies and owners of businesses of WHY they needed him and a marketing/strategy plan. So to me it's more of marketing and sales + Advertisement, not just marketing alone.

He basically told me this, marketing major is like the "art major of business". Everyone can major in it, it's pretty easy, kinda like an art major. It's also very competitive because a lot people do it because its easy. So you really have to stand out, you really have to be good at what you do. Again, it's not like an accounting major where you can just be decent and you'll get a job. IMO, the best thing you can with a marketing major is start your own business or projects. Think about it, what kind of company is gonna drop money on a marketing major student that came right out of college? If I owned a company, I wouldn't either, I'd pay more money to get the guy that's worked with Nike and whatever other big companies. It's not like an accounting major where your skills are somewhat tangible, for marketing everything is all just talk and ideas. Anyways, Good luck man.

Also two books you should read that I've found very helpful. "The Purple cow" and "Blue Ocean Marketing".
Thanks for the advice.  I've been employed since I've been out of school but I definitely think there are other opportunities out there that would make me happier.  It's funny that your professor described marketing like that, because that's exactly how it is, now that you mention it.  I focused more on electronic marketing/social media marketing while I was in school (UC Riverside), and I liked it because it was the direction that business was moving towards.  Every business marketing student now probably feels the same way haha.  Everything you say makes sense, good looking out.  Thanks for the recommendations on the books as well.

My advice for those that may be reading this thread while you're still in school, start getting that experience in your field while you're still in school.  Doesn't matter if you're gonna be broke 24/7 while you're in school, everyone pretty much is.  You'll gain a lot more from college if you're working towards your degree.  What you learn in a book is not really how the world works.
June 5, 2013 @ 01:17 AM
obakeissick

That post grad lyfestyle might not make it bruh. 

haileybardwick.tumblr.com

June 5, 2013 @ 01:25 AM
powerball

kinda sucks since marketing is one of the more fun and creative concentrations in business, but it's easily the lowest paying field compared to other business concentrations.
June 5, 2013 @ 02:05 AM
i01111000

just graduating with a degree in communication emphasis in advertising

no job lined up as of yet
What does "communication emphasis in advertising" mean? Does that mean you write copy??
Communications typically means you have a fast 40 time, a high vertical leap, or a nice jump shot. It's the major that you take when you're on athletic scholarship and don't need all those dumb classes interfering with your game preparation and performance.
June 5, 2013 @ 03:33 PM
Spankbank

This job market sucks major dick, been on the look out for a year now; 99% of the job offerings I looked at required 5 years of experience for entry level. I majored in Environmental Health and Safety, was hoping to land a government type job working for DEP, OSHA, PESH, or even a small company. Nope, all these fucking jobs need x years of experience. Looked up internships, need x years of experience as well. 

Gave up on this bullshit and I'm going back to grad school in a different direction, going for Occupational Therapy.
June 5, 2013 @ 03:54 PM
oneallah

This job market sucks major dick, 

pretty much
June 5, 2013 @ 04:10 PM
KiddCoast

Shoulda learned a trade instead pf busting your ass for 4 yrs to get a piece of paper that, by the looks of it, isnt making it any easier to find a job

Twitter: @KiddCoast

June 5, 2013 @ 04:49 PM
kbos

i hear it takes a solid 6 months to a year to find a job. lmk how it works out . congrats on graduation .
This is pretty much true. Most people don't get out of college and get right into their field. At least you aren't an art major, then you can extend that to 2-5 years.
June 10, 2013 @ 07:43 PM
overtheradar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you used to work at Triumvir right?

If you don't mind me asking, as the marketing guy what did you do there? What were your main tasks and objectives within in the company? What was a typical day for you like?
Used to work at Orisue as their Marketing / Public Relations Coordinator. Currently handling Triumvir's marketing and relaunch of the brand.

The situation at Triumvir is unique compared to most other brands, due to its strong intellectual ip (history) but recent absence in the marketplace as a brand (last three years). I was tasked with activating the company's social media accounts across all current platforms and creating engagement drives to build a healthy amount of followers on each. I also helped kick start the company's e-commerce store and picked up PR duties to let other entities and press know what we're up to.

Rebels vs. Renegades ---- www.rebelsvsrenegades.com ---- Turning Dreams Into Reality. One Broken Window at a Time.

June 10, 2013 @ 09:32 PM
Specification

^ It sounds like you're more of a social media mananger.
June 10, 2013 @ 09:44 PM
chief

What does "communication emphasis in advertising" mean? Does that mean you write copy??
Communications typically means you have a fast 40 time, a high vertical leap, or a nice jump shot. It's the major that you take when you're on athletic scholarship and don't need all those dumb classes interfering with your game preparation and performance.
hilarious. that's called general studies, idiot. I don't know how old you are but that's hardly the case with com anymore. My school has a legitimate com program. one of the best in the country

•••

June 10, 2013 @ 09:50 PM
jawesome

graduating undergrad don't mean shit 9 out of 10 times. you lame.

I only know one guy makin 300k w a business degree.

Instagram: prxsh

June 10, 2013 @ 10:15 PM
overtheradar

^ It sounds like you're more of a social media mananger.
As of late, yes. It really depends on the resources given and scope of the company. At Orisue I helped with non-profits, launched an environmental campaign and partnered with Project Rishi and Kendrick Lamar to coordinate digital assets and a sponsorship. With Triumvir's relaunch and its new collection I'll have my first stab at developing a more cohesive marketing plan.

(On topic) Trying to stay busy with various projects until I end up fully employed or in graduate school. I'd recommend anyone else in between school/jobs do the same.

Rebels vs. Renegades ---- www.rebelsvsrenegades.com ---- Turning Dreams Into Reality. One Broken Window at a Time.

June 11, 2013 @ 01:12 AM
tmwtg

I assume he's not a marketing major (marketing is a business major at my school)?

PS - Where do communications majors go to work after graduating?
June 11, 2013 @ 01:48 AM
powerball

lol there's a shit ton of people making 300k+ out of college with business degrees, all just depends on your concentration. my big brother had a business degree with a concentration in financial investments and also double majored in accounting and now he's at a hedge fund raking in 300k+ and he's only 25. marketing is wayyy different cause there's no way you could be pulling in that much unless your some sort of marketing director at your firm.

i think comm majors work at pr firms and shit like that once they graduate. there's also journalism and broadcasting fields they could go to as well. 
June 12, 2013 @ 05:21 AM
jawesome

I assume he's not a marketing major (marketing is a business major at my school)?

PS - Where do communications majors go to work after graduating?
I'm not sure, I know he works for quicken loans arena and moved up the ranks in like a matter of a year lol

Instagram: prxsh

June 13, 2013 @ 11:09 PM
jjapplesauce

hilarious. that's called general studies, idiot. I don't know how old you are but that's hardly the case with com anymore. My school has a legitimate com program. one of the best in the country
I never understood why Communications gets dinged as a useless major.  My school also has a legitimate Comm program with emphasis such as what im doing which is Public Relations. Not to mention a pretty good or about equal hiring rate as most business majors. I graduate next spring so im not out in the work force yet but ive been having a hell of a time just trying to get an internship in the public relations field.  Good luck out there.....its tough.
June 14, 2013 @ 01:28 AM
eduardo_tell_em

I know I'm late to the conversation but I just graduated on May 7th and the very next day I started working at a marketing company. I got a bachelor's in business administration, I didn't focus in marketing but I just sold myself as the right fit for the company. It's a long story so I won't go into detail.

My only advice is don't get too caught up on applying to online job boards. Anything that gets uploaded there usually won't materialize into anything worthwhile. 

http://headache-design.tumblr.com/

Please login first to reply.