Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
June 3, 2013 @ 04:00 AM
bulmasaur

I graduated in May with a degree in Marketing. Didn't do much networking during school but I've got some internship experience. Currently looking for a full time job or internship that'll put me in the right direction. I've been sending out resumes everyday and just waiting. Kinda sucks right now. I'm fortunate enough that I can stil stay with my parents at home in the meantime but I'm ready to start supporting myself yaknow? It's still early but it's rough right now. Even though this forum is full of teenage pinoys im sure there's a few of us in here.

Who's recently graduated? Did you land a job yet? Any tips for the job search? Are you going to pursue more school?

Please share~~~
June 3, 2013 @ 04:08 AM
backlikethat

im pretty sure 99% of Hb'ers are still on high school or undergrad
June 3, 2013 @ 04:20 AM
Dat1Dude562

Pinoys piss me off. We Germans finna take over cool

Nike Flyknit Lunar Size 9.5 Wolf Gray for sale. PM me.

June 3, 2013 @ 04:33 AM
oneallah

i fucked up my first 2 years of college but they took me back in after a semester of me being out, back on track sort of
well im doing better still fucking up doe
otherwise i wouldve graduated 
June 3, 2013 @ 04:39 AM
Pantic

What exactly is marketing?

Like I know companies need to market their stuff and have advertising, but what do you learn when you study marketing and what is it good for? You're not making the products and you're not creating the advertising, so what do you do??????????? Do you work for companies, advertising agencies, do pr?????

If you had an internship, contact them and see if they know of any jobs. Unless you go out and meet people, jobs don't just appear. People hire people who they know or are recommended to them.
PR, Sales, branding, market research/analysis, corporate communications are probably the main fields of marketing if you don't include advertising
June 3, 2013 @ 04:56 AM
MF CHEUNG

Halfway done an undergrad and on my co-op work term now, but I know a bunch of people in your situation. I don't know about your school but they pretty much applied to jobs posted on our school's career centre website and got jobs this summer from there. 
June 3, 2013 @ 05:03 AM
tmwtg

Congrats on graduating. I just graduated as well.

I have a job offer lined up, but I'm still looking. Maybe I can help you improve your resume? PM me.
June 3, 2013 @ 05:09 AM
Pantic

Like I know companies need to market their stuff and have advertising, but what do you learn when you study marketing and what is it good for? You're not making the products and you're not creating the advertising, so what do you do??????????? Do you work for companies, advertising agencies, do pr?????

If you had an internship, contact them and see if they know of any jobs. Unless you go out and meet people, jobs don't just appear. People hire people who they know or are recommended to them.
PR, Sales, branding, market research/analysis, corporate communications are probably the main fields of marketing if you don't include advertising
You listed like 5 different jobs. What do you learn if you study marketing in school? They teach you how to sell people things or write press releases or lead focus groups?
"you're not making the products and you're not advertising, so what do you do?" i just told you. As for what they teach you, all the things you mentioned. They also teach you about business structure, managing resources/logistics, entrepeneurship and obviously theres quite abit of economics too. I only studied 1½ years of marketing and decided it wasn't for me so im no expert either
June 3, 2013 @ 06:51 AM
Benchwarmer

I graduated last year and I finally got a job in my field (graphic design) after 9 months.

You know how everyone says the job market is all about networking? It's even more about networking than they say it is. An old classmate had a job and was leaving and suggested me to replace them and I got that job within the week. Wasn't even close to the old classmate but I fit the bill and they thought of me.

Tell everyone you know (whose judgement you trust) that you're looking for work in your field. You may not get a 9-5 and might have to do little jobs here and there but it's better than working fast food/retail. A recommendation from a family friend or an old coworker is huge and you'll automatically have a step up. You never know when and where you'll land a job from.

Also when you get that first stable job you'll be so pumped that you'll be doing something relevant to your training and you'll be making more money than you're used to but don't trick yourself into being content. All of these entry level jobs are shit and pay you less than what you want and you're very easily replaceable. Even if you land a job, stay on the lookout for an upgrade.

TL;DR: Network more, tell everyone you're on the job search, stay hungry.

You'll get that job soon fam. Keep pushing, it's gonna be worth it.
June 3, 2013 @ 08:07 AM
chief

just graduating with a degree in communication emphasis in advertising

no job lined up as of yet

•••

June 3, 2013 @ 08:49 AM
chief

at my school there's different emphasis in the communication field. there's communication & society (basic shit), journalism & media production, and strategic communication (advertising and PR)

so I could potentially write copy, ya

•••

June 3, 2013 @ 12:58 PM
tmwtg

Even if you land a job, stay on the lookout for an upgrade.
This can be both a good and a bad thing, but I agree.

Companies won't hesitate to let you go.
June 3, 2013 @ 01:01 PM
Soul Rize

i hear it takes a solid 6 months to a year to find a job. lmk how it works out . congrats on graduation .

Cmon get down with a real nigga wussup

June 3, 2013 @ 02:59 PM
Kilog

Job market is terrible for bachelor degree graduates right now. 99% of entry level jobs want experience. I just graduated too I'm getting my emt cert right now so I can hopefully apply to med school next year.
June 3, 2013 @ 06:02 PM
cheyaaa

Kinda sucks right now.
 I'm ready to start supporting myself yaknow?
 Even though this forum is full of teenage pinoys im sure there's a few of us in here.

Kinda?
Yaknow?
No comma after pinoys. Using pinoy in your vocabulary/writing?

I'm not surprise. No degree for you. Go back to school & come back in 5 years. NEXT!

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

June 3, 2013 @ 06:04 PM
cheyaaa

Simple. Check out the marketplace section of this forum.

June 3, 2013 @ 06:46 PM
tmwtg

Kinda sucks right now.
 Even though this forum is full of teenage pinoys im sure there's a few of us in here.

Kinda?
Yaknow?

I'm not surprise. No degree for you. Go back to school & come back in 5 years. NEXT!
Surprised*.

Take a seat, brodi.
June 3, 2013 @ 07:10 PM
mrh

Marketing is competitive as fuck.  A lot of people that go to school with no idea of what they wanna be just decide to go into marketing.  So yea networking and making yourself standout is gonna be very important
June 3, 2013 @ 07:21 PM
straight2hell

@bulmasaur: noticed you're in chicago, my girl graduated last year from saic (also marketing), it's unfortunate to hear that you didn't do much networking, although you have some internship exp it's not really gonna mean much unless you actively seek to meet people working in your desired field, my girl just finally landed a good gig working for XA/amanda puck, less than an month in she's already working with masahiru morimoto and Bo Jackson and doin other cool shit like that

she had to do internships for the better part of the year though, and getting rejected for a couple other related positions she interviewed for,, her sister is best friends with the director of wagstaff Chicago (national food and hospitality PR) and they have also done PR for my small urban agriculture company as we work close with restaurants they rep, they loved her there and treated her like family yet were not able to offer her a position even after being a top candidate to become an account coordinator and a rigorous interview process she aced... So as you can imagine even the best connects dont guarantee shit, keep meeting people/making all possible options available to yourself and grinding it out even if it feels pointless cause it'll work in the end if you're determined, good luck homie ! pm me if u got any ?

!!! $$$ ~~~~SELLING RARE SUPREME GRAILS COLLECTION~~~$$$$ !!!!!! http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/215071

June 3, 2013 @ 10:24 PM
cheyaaa

Kinda sucks right now.

Kinda?
Yaknow?

Surprised*.

Take a seat, brodi.
Brodi? Please...

June 4, 2013 @ 02:04 AM
Quan292

graduated last year and have been working for a year but not really in my field. The money you get from having anything is good but going to school for 4 years to end up with doing something you hate is worse. Be patient and don't give up because you never know when that perfect job is right around the corner.
June 4, 2013 @ 03:10 AM
goldANDsacks

do u plan on just chilling at ur parent's house until you get a "real" job, or r u gonna get something like a retail job while you apply for your career? because if you choose the second option, you can be independent now. 
June 4, 2013 @ 03:26 AM

Graduated from college in 2011 still looking for a job in civil engineering.. Dat hurt sad
June 4, 2013 @ 04:02 AM
tmwtg

^ Really depends where you live.

Cost of living is different for most cities.
June 4, 2013 @ 02:15 PM
overtheradar

Graduated this past December with my Bachelor's in International Business. Had a relevant marketing internship / job through my last couple of years in university but left the company right before the business got shut down. I've been applying for jobs and sending out my resume via job boards/sites like Malakye, Monster and Linkedin but feel like it's a waste of time.

I definitely feel like the most solid way to find and secure a job is through networking which I wish I had done more of. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Rebels vs. Renegades ---- www.rebelsvsrenegades.com ---- Turning Dreams Into Reality. One Broken Window at a Time.

June 4, 2013 @ 03:30 PM
keepit100g

yo i graduated glad i'm not the only one
something like 70% percent of people get jobs from people you know
i've done some networking in my field and shit is not easy but if you're not doing it you're fuckin up
June 4, 2013 @ 04:11 PM
Specification

first off, congrats man. I still have about another year or two until i graduate.

I would HIGHLY recommend making a LinkedIn account, connect with some people you know and branch off from there. Join some groups, some good ones are the: startups, entrepreneurs, and I think they have one for marketing as well. Join group(s) that you like, interact and ask questions.

I'm a marketing major as well. ESPECIALLY as a marketing major, no one will hire you unless you have experience, because everything you do is on paper, it's all theory and ideas. I'd suggest helping out local businesses for free at first. My first job/gig I sorta did for free, I'm friends with a barber shop owner (it's one of those old school straight razor shave places, charge about $20-$30 per shave/cut) so I asked If I could help market his business. Basically my plan was to bring in more customers. All I did was get in contact with a well known tattoo shop and said "Hey, lets throw an art show/party at my location." And he agreed, more exposure for both shops. About 300 people showed up and the tattoo shop owner knew someone that owned a tattoo magazine and brought him in to shoot photo's, the party was featured in a magazine and now both shops are more well known. After that the owner asked me to do do the art direction for his clothing line and now I get to keep a percentage of those profits.

So...TLDR: help out businesses for free at first because no one will hire you if you have no experience. Your job as a marketing guy is to really just bring in more people and revenue. And how do you do that? That's up to you, plan events, give them free tips and suggestions and if those tips and suggestions work you have a happy customer you can refer for future use.
June 4, 2013 @ 04:30 PM
redstar

^
Just curious, was that Golden Crown?
June 4, 2013 @ 04:39 PM
Specification

No, but I just looked up Golden Crown. Although the tattoo shop and barbershop are both located in Orange County.
June 4, 2013 @ 05:18 PM
cheyaaa

reason ya not getting jobs after college is because you didn't use the resources available to you while you were a student in college. Take advantage of the career development center @ your school, attend job fairs, network, get your feet wet. Good grades no longer equate to a good job. we live in a different generation now. It's all network & experiences.

Please login first to reply.