Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
May 18, 2013 @ 02:18 AM
FCKNsteez

So I looking forward to going to school next semester but I'm broke as shit and the school I'm tryna get into is 60,000 a year. Other than the FASFA does anyone know if there's any other grants I can apply for? 

Thanks in advanced!
May 18, 2013 @ 05:28 AM
royda510

Is this school you mention the only choice you have? I'm not saying that all private uni's are difficult to get into, but one that costs $60,000 usually takes some good credentials to get into, which also brings in academic awards for tuition. When you apply for FAFSA and it is processed, you will receive an email usually stating how much you can qualify for a Stafford loan (loan under your name) as well as other grants that pertain to your state. Of course there are other grants you can apply for, but each state is different. The good part about private Uni's is that they are very generous when it comes to grants. I attended a private school my freshman year and received a $10,000 school grant + other state grants. When your FAFSA processes through the school of your choice, the financial aid office will then let you know how much you qualify for grants and other loans. If you do not have good credit, you will most likely have to have a co-signer to sign off on a private student loan, or a Parent-Plus Loan. Also keep in mind, a lot of the times you will not receive the full tuition amount in your loans, so then comes the part of Semester/Quarterly tuition payments which can get very expensive depending on how much the loans covered. 

I know I went a little more than what you asked for, but I hope this helps you. 
May 18, 2013 @ 12:27 PM
illpolo

If scholarships/ grants from the school aren't covering a good majority of that 60k a year you're doing it all wrong. Federal grants top out at around $5500 and that's it. I suggest you rethink your decision if you don't have the scholarship money to attend the school, and especially if you intend on majoring in a low ceiling salary career. Look in the news, students around the country are drowning in debt because of situations just like this.
May 21, 2013 @ 03:23 AM
FCKNsteez

@royda510 Its not the only choice I "have" it's just a school I want to go to really bad. The school is FIDM in San Francisco and to me they have the best program for fashion design which is what I am trying to go for. I got the FASFA thats not the problem. Its that the FASFA doesn't cover the entire tuition so I was looking for some other type of grants to apply for before I apply for a loan. 
May 21, 2013 @ 05:10 AM
royda510

@royda510 Its not the only choice I "have" it's just a school I want to go to really bad. The school is FIDM in San Francisco and to me they have the best program for fashion design which is what I am trying to go for. I got the FASFA thats not the problem. Its that the FASFA doesn't cover the entire tuition so I was looking for some other type of grants to apply for before I apply for a loan. 
Ah, I understand.

I experienced the same situation with FAFSA not covering my entire tuition my first year. I ended paying ~$400 every quarter. The payments were brutal, but like you, it was a school that I really wanted to attend. Another piece of advice is to look at private student loans through your bank or one that offers a low interest rate. I never did it, but I know a few people who did that to cover the difference. Almost every student comes out of college with debt, but as long as you work your butt off during your time at school, I would say that justifies paying the extra dollar to go to your top choice school. 

Please login first to reply.