April 4, 2013 @ 07:22 AM
backlikethat

So im watching this video of a Yale Prof. teaching about Hobbes (I saw every video of it). Saw the whole thing and literally...
EVERYTHING he said is what I learned in my Poli Sci class.....

So uhhhhh what?
April 4, 2013 @ 07:41 AM
Ruthless

White privilege 

Let me see those downvotes

April 4, 2013 @ 07:52 AM
(G)TRAP

suspended

White privilege 
April 4, 2013 @ 08:25 AM
Fonze

Money
10characters
April 4, 2013 @ 08:58 AM
kr00kd

successful alumni goes a long way

http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/166901/

April 4, 2013 @ 09:13 AM
powerball

lol is this a serious question? go to a prestigious university and find out for yourself. students are much smarter thus its way more competitive than a less prestigious uni (obviously). better professors who are distinguished in their respective fields. alumni connections which can help you find jobs, internships, etc.
April 4, 2013 @ 09:45 AM
BIRTH

White privilege 

April 4, 2013 @ 05:12 PM
kbos

lol is this a serious question? go to a prestigious university and find out for yourself. students are much smarter thus its way more competitive than a less prestigious uni (obviously). better professors who are distinguished in their respective fields. alumni connections which can help you find jobs, internships, etc.
Replace smarter with richer and I agree.

You pay a lot for that degree from that school you wanna flaunt.
April 4, 2013 @ 06:45 PM
G8tor

gay satanic cults

off top

April 4, 2013 @ 07:12 PM
thrillmatic

10char    

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

April 4, 2013 @ 07:28 PM
goldANDsacks

uhhh the brand name. c'mon this is hypebeast. you should already get this concept. 
April 4, 2013 @ 07:29 PM
mproc

It's not what you know, it's who you know. Prestigious universities have the people you need to know.
April 4, 2013 @ 07:30 PM
goldANDsacks

I attended one of these "prestigious" schools for a year (University of Chicago), and the experience can seem overrated, but their rankings are justified. Large endowments, state-of-the-art facilities, genius-level student body and dedicated faculty. Yes, the rich kids with donors for parents do exist but they don't dominate these campuses the way one would think. And yeah these schools are expensive, their financial aid varies from school to school.

I don't wanna ramble so if you have questions ask and you shall receive.
this is basically the same argument as "supreme shirts can cost an exorbitant amount because of the 'quality'" 
April 4, 2013 @ 08:14 PM
tmwtg

One of the major regrets I have: not working my ass off in high school.

Think about it: go to a top-tier college, get the alumni connections/opportunities, set your career up early on, and you're golden.

Lesson: high school = play hard, work harder

PS - A lot of rich kids go to these schools (e.g. parents are legacy/donors, etc.), but you have your fair share of poor kids too.
April 4, 2013 @ 08:35 PM
artfullydodged

The school doesnt change the topic you fucking idiot. You learn the same shit but more of it. The curriculum is more rigorous, your peers are all brilliant,  and your professors are qualified enough to run a small country. Then you graduate with a degree that makes people say "ohhh wow, good for you!" and gets you ahead in life.

Buy for the future. Don't get played. Quality over hype.

April 4, 2013 @ 08:45 PM
chaobro

Plenty of reasons. Subject matter in an intro level class will not vary really. Physics, in the end, is still physics. Smaller graduating classes in Ivies commonly mirror the size of private universities, and that quality is always lauded by those liberal fucks.

Large alumnus base in plenty of huge fields.

RESOURCES. Harvard has a huge endowment. This allows them to be generous with financial aid, and to provide great facilities and better, pay for better professors. EG: exaggerated example here but take the president of an investment banking firm, who pulls in 3 million a year. A well financed school can afford to pay him a similar salary, to pay for his opportunity cost. 

I have friends in Ivies and they all have said the classes really aren't as hard as people might say. They want to keep the students that they accept. You are going to have to work, but that goes the same for any college class. Really, in any aspect of life. Even those that go to Ivies are going to have to work for it. Connections don't just make themselves, and you can only use that large alumni base if you go out there and attend those boring info sessions, those student orgs, etc.

College anywhere is sort of there for you to take what you want out of it. Most of the people that work there will care about the students, otherwise it doesn't make much sense for them to be teaching undergrads. Plenty of smart people despise teaching young kids like us. Take advantage of the ones that don't, and get out there.
April 5, 2013 @ 03:24 AM
kmz

U think Goldman Sachs will favor a humboldt state student over a Yale student even if the courses are the same? This is why u go to the best school possible, less u trying to work at autozone after u graduate
April 5, 2013 @ 03:28 AM
backlikethat

The school doesnt change the topic you fucking idiot. You learn the same shit but more of it. The curriculum is more rigorous, your peers are all brilliant,  and your professors are qualified enough to run a small country. Then you graduate with a degree that makes people say "ohhh wow, good for you!" and gets you ahead in life.

Well obviously not since I didn't learn "more" of anything in the video. I bet I could pass any fucking test that Yale prof. gives me on Hobbes.
April 5, 2013 @ 05:06 PM
goldANDsacks

U think Goldman Sachs will favor a humboldt state student over a Yale student even if the courses are the same? This is why u go to the best school possible, less u trying to work at autozone after u graduate
nice namedrop. but this statement is very true. it's like... when i go to the club. 

if kids are wearing some baseball team new era, the bouncer will say "no hats in the club!" 

but when i wear my supreme box logo new era, the bouncers have no problem with it and let me in. (while the other dudes complain that i got in, not my problem). 

anyways.... it's sad but really its all the same. anything that you need to know for your career, you'll learn on the job (or get fired). your diploma is nothing more than a possession with brand name logo on it.  
April 5, 2013 @ 05:55 PM
chief

you guys just can't assume money is the root of it all. A kid from my high school just graduated from harvard and his family isn't loaded or anything. A really good friend of mine was going to go to MIT but went the baseball route and decided to go to UO instead. intelligent people actually exist you guys lol

•••

April 5, 2013 @ 06:20 PM
cernio

I attended one of these "prestigious" schools for a year (University of Chicago), and the experience can seem overrated, but their rankings are justified. Large endowments, state-of-the-art facilities, genius-level student body and dedicated faculty. Yes, the rich kids with donors for parents do exist but they don't dominate these campuses the way one would think. And yeah these schools are expensive, their financial aid varies from school to school.

I don't wanna ramble so if you have questions ask and you shall receive.
i was tryna get in there, got waitlisted. was it really dead like everyone says or did it pretty much have a normal social scene? why did you leave, too much $?

Please login first to reply.