Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
March 27, 2013 @ 02:43 AM
Tzion

I read this short story years ago, and it just seemed to pop back into my mind today. 

Here's a quick summary of it:

The story is about a class of school children on Venus, which in this story is a world of constant rainstorms, where the sun is only visible for two hours every seven years.One of the children, Margot, moved to Venus from Earth five years earlier, and she is the only one in her class to remember sunshine, since the sun shone regularly on Earth. She describes the sun as "a penny", or "like a fire in the stove", and the other children, being too young ever to have seen it themselves, refuse to believe her account of it. Out of jealousy, she is bullied and ostracized by the other students and finally locked in a closet during the time the sun is due to come out. As the sun is about to appear, their teacher arrives to take the class outside to enjoy their only hour of sunshine and, in their astonishment and joy, they all forget about Margot. They run, play, skip, jump, and prance about, savoring every second of their newly found freedom. "It's much better than sun lamps!" one of them cries. Suddenly, a girl feels a raindrop on her face. Thunder sounds, and they run back inside. Then one of them remembers Margot who is still locked in the closet. They stand frozen, ashamed for what they have done, unable to "meet each other's glances."The precious sun has come and gone and, because of their despicable act, Margot has missed it. They walk slowly and silently towards the closet, and let her out.

What does the story mean to you? I've read it over and over and I'd like to hear another persons interpretation of it. When I picture their environment it seems wild to believe a place like that would be even tolerable. I like to reflect on what this planet gives to me, you know?
March 27, 2013 @ 02:43 AM
oneallah

how bout box logos ova errrryyyytan
March 27, 2013 @ 02:49 AM
TASK

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."
March 27, 2013 @ 02:53 AM
Captain Al

how bout box logos ova errrryyyytan
wow so funny. 
no allah btw.
___
anyways

Good short story imo. There's not much to interpret. 

Her peers lock her from something she's seen before?

tumblr: bankpaper.tumblr.com

March 27, 2013 @ 03:06 AM
REVS

I've read this story too before, it really is a good short story. Like someone else said, not much to interpret in my eyes, but I can see how the environment and shit or the setting is really crazy. 

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

March 27, 2013 @ 03:08 AM
Tzion

Honestly, that's what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy and pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is I'm showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells."
But I don't understand, I didn't come in here to make a hateful or sarcastic statement, I just wanted to spread this story, I found it interesting. We're all cut from the same cloth, I breathe like you breathe.  
March 27, 2013 @ 03:11 AM
.kciN

Woah shit I had to do a performance of this for my 9th grade drama class... I had the first line coolcoolcool

Please login first to reply.