Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
March 18, 2013 @ 05:14 AM
lakers24

Thinkin about business school in the near future///

Who took the GMAT?

How long did you prepare for it?
What was your score?
Any tips?
March 18, 2013 @ 02:58 PM
REVS

Good look brother. My buddy took the exam and did fairly well got a seven-something. And it's out of 800 or 850 I'm pretty sure. He said it took a while, but it wasn't anything to hard.

I was thinking about taking it in the near future as well. Good luck!

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

March 18, 2013 @ 05:06 PM
lakers24

did not answer anything... but thanks REVS
March 18, 2013 @ 06:00 PM
jaded

I believe they recently changed the format of the test, so you might actually have to buy the materials to study. With the previous version of the test, you could download all of the Manhattan GMAT guides on most torrent sites, and those were considered to be among the best.

When I was considering taking it, I joined this forum: http://gmatclub.com/  A lot of people there that are preparing for the test or have already taken it that can help you with your questions.

Other than that, I'd just say take as many practice tests as possible, and take them seriously (time yourself based on the amount of time the test center will give you). If you're really serious about it, you may even want to spend the money to do a prep course through a place like Kaplan. If it has been a long time since you have taken any math courses, it might be worth it, because the math questions on the GMAT can be very annoying.

It's an expensive test, so don't rush it, because you really want to get your goal score on your first try. A lot of people prepare for 6+ months before they take it.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

March 18, 2013 @ 07:29 PM
lakers24

I believe they recently changed the format of the test, so you might actually have to buy the materials to study. With the previous version of the test, you could download all of the Manhattan GMAT guides on most torrent sites, and those were considered to be among the best.

When I was considering taking it, I joined this forum: http://gmatclub.com/  A lot of people there that are preparing for the test or have already taken it that can help you with your questions.

Other than that, I'd just say take as many practice tests as possible, and take them seriously (time yourself based on the amount of time the test center will give you). If you're really serious about it, you may even want to spend the money to do a prep course through a place like Kaplan. If it has been a long time since you have taken any math courses, it might be worth it, because the math questions on the GMAT can be very annoying.

It's an expensive test, so don't rush it, because you really want to get your goal score on your first try. A lot of people prepare for 6+ months before they take it.
thanks for the tip!
is it bad to take it more than once? i understand gmat scores last for 5 years...
March 18, 2013 @ 07:57 PM
tmwtg

Good topic.

Considering taking it as well. I've taken a few practice tests, just to try it out. The time limit is what gets to you.

Just know what you're going to do in business school. I hear a lot of stories of people who go to business school without knowing exactly why/what they're going to do when they graduate.

Also, consider going to a Top 20 MBA if your goal is finance, etc.
March 18, 2013 @ 08:18 PM
lakers24

Best of luck to you! 
Yeah... my thing is start-ups right now. Would like to get into entrepreneurship / venture capital.

pass on finance... haha
March 18, 2013 @ 09:06 PM
powerball

just curious but did u go to a business school for your undergrad? i found it pretty pointless for me at least to go get my mba since im about to graduate from a pretty good undergrad business program.
March 19, 2013 @ 03:43 AM
tmwtg

just curious but did u go to a business school for your undergrad? i found it pretty pointless for me at least to go get my mba since im about to graduate from a pretty good undergrad business program.
I know a few homies getting their MBA at Penn/LSE/Harvard.

They say it's a rehash of undergrad business school classes. Not hard at all, imo.

What will you be doing after graduation, though?
March 19, 2013 @ 07:46 AM
powerball

I know a few homies getting their MBA at Penn/LSE/Harvard.

They say it's a rehash of undergrad business school classes. Not hard at all, imo.

What will you be doing after graduation, though?
depends on what i do for this summer internship. not sure if i want to go into investment banking or work under my bro at a hedge fund. professors at my b school told me they teach the same shit to their graduates, only difference is the better connections at grad school, wouldn't be learning anything different unless you go to harvard, penn, etc.
March 19, 2013 @ 07:56 AM
tmwtg

^ Check your PMs.
March 20, 2013 @ 03:31 AM
lakers24

yeah i graduated from haas undergrad at berkeley, just started my first job?
do you think so? I kind of thought so too especially since i'm at a startup
but I feel like once I start moving up the ladder there will be a ceiling w/o an MBA

what you up to now?
March 20, 2013 @ 04:41 AM
jaded

but I feel like once I start moving up the ladder there will be a ceiling w/o an MBA

what you up to now?
If you're fresh out of college and at your first job, I'd give it a while and make sure it's something you really want to do, because it's expensive and will take up some of your free time. If you're at a start-up, a MBA probably isn't going to do much for you. Even if you were to get a new job where the "higher-ups" have MBAs, you probably aren't going to be in a position where having one is going to give you a leg up for quite a while. A lot of people get years of work experience under their belt before they go back.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

March 20, 2013 @ 05:14 AM
D

what you up to now?
If you're fresh out of college and at your first job, I'd give it a while and make sure it's something you really want to do, because it's expensive and will take up some of your free time. If you're at a start-up, a MBA probably isn't going to do much for you. Even if you were to get a new job where the "higher-ups" have MBAs, you probably aren't going to be in a position where having one is going to give you a leg up for quite a while. A lot of people get years of work experience under their belt before they go back.
This. I say get at least 3 years of work experience before considering grad school.  It would just be a waste of money and time to do it fresh out of undergrad.  Stick with your company and they will most likely eventually offer to pay at least a portion of the program followed by that promotion life.   
March 20, 2013 @ 06:24 AM
paulywalnuts

i wanna go back because looking for a job sucks so fucking badly.  i feel like a bachelors degree didn't prepare me for shit.  im a management information systems major by the way.  so yeah.  it was an introduction, but i don't feel like i can hit the ground running like most of the jobs i have applied for are demanding.  i just simply didn't do enough programming to be of any use to a company.  it's a shitty feeling and it's fucking with my self-esteem and making me a liability for myself on a job interview.  feels good to vent for a minute.  

i master bait from time to time/// wtb - supreme mohair cardigan large, orange or pink, pm me...

March 20, 2013 @ 04:59 PM
lakers24

Jaded, D, thanks for the tip. I appreciate it!
March 20, 2013 @ 10:44 PM
Josh.

i wanna go back because looking for a job sucks so fucking badly.  i feel like a bachelors degree didn't prepare me for shit.  im a management information systems major by the way.  so yeah.  it was an introduction, but i don't feel like i can hit the ground running like most of the jobs i have applied for are demanding.  i just simply didn't do enough programming to be of any use to a company.  it's a shitty feeling and it's fucking with my self-esteem and making me a liability for myself on a job interview.  feels good to vent for a minute.  
why dont you practice programming in your spare time?

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

March 20, 2013 @ 10:47 PM
lakers24

programming is the future... so many opportunities nowadays in that field
i shouldve studying cs or somethin.

Please login first to reply.