FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
February 5, 2013 @ 07:56 PM
dmwalking

I'm pretty sure I'm older than you Doom. I'm pretty sure I grew up on NY hip hop and I'm pretty sure I know what NY hip hop sounds like even if it doesn't sound like 90's NY hip hop.  Action is NY for sure (I said mention someone NOT in their late 20's).  Joey is a decent rendition of NY rap, but he's rocking a very 90's style.  The tall dude from Flatbush Zombies is very NY in his sound.   The blond dude not so much. 

I'm not so sure that they're dictating the sound of NY just yet. I suppose you'd know better than me since I haven't lived there in years now.  But from the majority of music I hear coming from NY rappers, it doesn't sound very NY at all.  In fact, I hear dudes even mimicking accents and inflections from other regions. And it doesn't sound like they're following suit with the other dudes you mentioned.  I think the guys you mentioned are in the minority as far as influence still.  I'll look up some of the other cats you mentioned though. Thanks.

Last name Ever, first name Worst Mod

February 5, 2013 @ 08:58 PM
Yung Urameshi

Im not saying im personal fans of all of them at all, so dont take it as recommendations. 
All I was saying is that the new wave of hip hop artists that are coming out of NY right now are redefining what NY rap is because its been fucked up for so long. 

changed from Doom. I've learned to take HB not so seriously.

February 5, 2013 @ 09:03 PM
Gilly Suits

^Nobody from Boston is allowed to post in here.  

Nah just playing, I like Boston.  It's aight. I mean, I'm not in love with it, but it's not bad. There are things to do.  But of those things to do, NY just does it better IMO.   

Everything Kbos said is pretty true about cost of living and all that, but NY is still where it's at as far as pretty much everything that Boston does.  Food, entertainment, shopping, parties.  But NY and Boston cultures are different.  Boston does the preppy lifestyle thing much better.

If you like a slower pace and cleaner streets, Boston is cool. 
I've been between NYC and Nassau County for the past several years thats the only reason I comment. I'll move to the city for sure when im done with school. Boston needs to step its diversification and entertainment up, people stick to their neighborhoods in Boston a lot more than New Yorkers do. I always love Boston for the house partys and basement concerts but outta towners don't see that side. Not enough 24hr shit in Boston either. 
Bruh is there any besides IHOP, CVS, and Walgreens

Though being a true Bostonian there is a lot of things I like. I like going into the woods and going to the mountains. You can ski and snowboard less than 30 mins from Boston. You don't get that effect in NYC. We resort to raging house/dorm parties. And constantly have a huge mix of bitches due to colleges. Then I love how exclusive some shit is. When you go to NY everyone will list out the places you must shop/eat at. Boston is the true place for hole in the wall joints. Everytime I go to NYC I worry about where the fcuk I'm eating at. In Boston mostly everyone has something good just gotta figure it out. We care about being clean opposed to NYC streets. I love New York, I really do but I prefer my city anyday (yall get it popping with them late night clubs tho).

Culective.com // twitch.tv/gillysuits

February 6, 2013 @ 02:03 PM
Brian@ONLY

You cant say you know what NY rap should sound like it being 90's shit. The rappers like Action Bronson, Joey Bada$$/Pro Era, The Underachievers, Flatbush Zombies, Black Dave, Dyme A Dozen Worlds Fair Nitty Scott etc etc are dictating what NY rappers sound like now. Not what people think NY rap should sound like. 
Well said..i've been listening to dillon cooper, flatbush zombies, brown bag allstars, julius myth.  Anyone who thinks NY fell off is obviously stuck behind trying to compare apples to oranges.  There is nothing like New York period.  
February 6, 2013 @ 08:07 PM
damnwitless1

Yeah I mean the youth culture of NYC is just based on innovation and trendiness, there will never be a time when the story of a NY comeup will not be compelling simply due to how strenuous it is to come up in an environment like that. The entire music business has a major stake in the city of New York and thats why so many people move here to make it and just continue to rep where they're from.

But even with that being said, the actual new crop of homegrown talent definitely seems to have figured out a certain formula for achieving relevance but still staying true to what makes NY NY (gritty lyricism, technical proficiency, etc). Just because everyone isn't rapping over break drums and jazz samples doesnt mean its not still New York, its just more a matter of overall style (and perspective) than superficial things, people are showcasing THEIR New York instead of the New York people expect to see

All I do is smoke weed and listen to MF DOOM innercitykidsmusic.com

February 6, 2013 @ 08:47 PM
kbos

^Nobody from Boston is allowed to post in here.  

Nah just playing, I like Boston.  It's aight. I mean, I'm not in love with it, but it's not bad. There are things to do.  But of those things to do, NY just does it better IMO.   

Everything Kbos said is pretty true about cost of living and all that, but NY is still where it's at as far as pretty much everything that Boston does.  Food, entertainment, shopping, parties.  But NY and Boston cultures are different.  Boston does the preppy lifestyle thing much better.

If you like a slower pace and cleaner streets, Boston is cool. 
I've been between NYC and Nassau County for the past several years thats the only reason I comment. I'll move to the city for sure when im done with school. Boston needs to step its diversification and entertainment up, people stick to their neighborhoods in Boston a lot more than New Yorkers do. I always love Boston for the house partys and basement concerts but outta towners don't see that side. Not enough 24hr shit in Boston either. 
Bruh is there any besides IHOP, CVS, and Walgreens

Though being a true Bostonian there is a lot of things I like. I like going into the woods and going to the mountains. You can ski and snowboard less than 30 mins from Boston. You don't get that effect in NYC. We resort to raging house/dorm parties. And constantly have a huge mix of bitches due to colleges. Then I love how exclusive some shit is. When you go to NY everyone will list out the places you must shop/eat at. Boston is the true place for hole in the wall joints. Everytime I go to NYC I worry about where the fcuk I'm eating at. In Boston mostly everyone has something good just gotta figure it out. We care about being clean opposed to NYC streets. I love New York, I really do but I prefer my city anyday (yall get it popping with them late night clubs tho).
Everything you say is true, including walgreens ihop and cvs being the only 24hr places. A couple good pizza joints open till 3am tho. Your post explains why locals will be all about Boston and outta towners will never quite get it. Some guido in Brooklyn the other day tried to tell me Boston is like a small New York... we get down on brownstones in backbay/roxbury but otherwise i dont see it. I'm gunna stop tho I don't mean to force a Boston conversation.

Even though I agreed for hip-hop nyc kinda lost its edge, i'll clarify and agree that there are plenty of good rappers still commin from NY, but it just doesn't feel like the mecca for that anymore.
February 6, 2013 @ 08:51 PM
$$$$$

You niggas love talking about other niggas. Who gives a fuck about NY niggas being "lame" in your eyes. Why you focused on them when there is no place on earf that has as many bad bitches walking around constantly?

Please login first to reply.