Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
January 30, 2013 @ 04:56 AM
theycallmeblack

What is being "smart" exactly? Is being "smart" nature or nurture?

Smart people I know are well informed, goes to museums, travel, are curious about the world.

The less smart people I know watch dumb tv shows, don't read or engage themselves intellectually as much. Go shopping and stuff. Go to bad restaurants.

How much of being smart is what you are born with? How much is due to your parents making you work hard? And how much is experiencing things and teaching yourself?

Obviously there are gifted people, but that is a small percent.
January 30, 2013 @ 05:02 AM
Ultimate Man Ray

smart like thinking outside the box smart vs educated people like Atticus from How to Kill a Mockingbird?

:)

January 30, 2013 @ 05:10 AM
Black Jew

the difference is critical thinking.
January 30, 2013 @ 05:11 AM
Ultimate Man Ray

the difference is critical thinking.
How to improve critical thinking

:)

January 30, 2013 @ 05:24 AM
Black Jew

i dont really know if there is a solid way to improve critical thinking. im not the best critical thinker, but I guess arguing frequently is one of the ways the pros do it.
im sure someone knows more than i do on this shit.
January 30, 2013 @ 05:35 AM
me>u

Hmmmm I'd say well educated is someone who knows his information by studying, etc. Basically someone who
is well informed.

For smart,I'd say it's someone who can think critically and go deeper into a subject.

An ex. would be the Revolutionary War. A well educated person would say what the causes were and etc.

A smart person will go deeper into this and give out cause and effects and even argue by questioning rather than answers... if that makes sense.

instagram: funthera

January 30, 2013 @ 06:03 AM
Soul Rize

educated could be an idiot in common sense which is why old asians can't drive good (and asian females ) but  outside the box and creativity is few i feel that kept it from the childhood. but the biggest and happiest ppls all have it :/ dam it where did mines go. I feel as if every idea has already been used or something but there gotta be something.

Cmon get down with a real nigga wussup

January 30, 2013 @ 06:06 AM
rabbitman

smart=nature, well educated= nurture, basically that. A smart person could ace a test without or barely studying, while an average person would have to really hit the book. Yet both would be taking a class and thus be somewhat educated

be careful what you pretend to be

January 30, 2013 @ 09:27 AM
adoboFosho

smart=nature, well educated= nurture, basically that. A smart person could ace a test without or barely studying, while an average person would have to really hit the book. Yet both would be taking a class and thus be somewhat educated
bingo

http://www.ebay.com/usr/adobo_fosho... selling black/white flyknits... look like yeezy!!!

January 30, 2013 @ 10:02 AM
ghettoface

we all dumb as hell

but pinoy genetic niggas are really really stupid, kinda like apes
January 30, 2013 @ 08:32 PM
NoStress

Anyone can be well educated, but a smart person knows when, where, how to properly utilize this knowledge. As said before, a well educated person can lack common sense

burr

January 31, 2013 @ 03:29 PM
kbos

I agree with this but im thinkin smart is more broad that than. Like there are some smart people who can ace a test without or barely studying, but they would be idiots in other situations. On the flip side, there are very smart people who would struggle with a standardized test but would be brilliant in other realms.
January 31, 2013 @ 03:44 PM
MagnaDefender

I think smart is based on like how easy you can learn and stuff but well educated is someone thats worked hard and has done a lot of schooling that has made them smart. a person can be both though. Intellect and critical thinking do have a large part distingusing the two. you can be smart, but if you cant apply it then you are not well educated in a sense. Its like harnessing your potential.

HANSUM BOY IS HANSUM

January 31, 2013 @ 04:48 PM
dmwalking

I beleive there are different kinds of intelligence.  To paraphrase Einstein, if you judge a fish by how well it can climb trees, it will end up believing it's stupid.  I have a cousin who really isn't booksmart.  The kid flunked a bunch of HS classes and dropped out.  But the kid was a beast when it came to building things. When he was like 12 he built a 2 story dog house for his dog with steps and insulation and windows.  He drew up the blueprints and everything.  When he was 16 he was installing cabinets and counters for people.   That's HIS intelligence.  He's just one example.

School doesn't measure us by our different kinds of intelligence. It basically generates info on who are the most compliant slaves IMO.  Do you do everything you're told?  Do you follow directions? Do you follow the rules? 

Generally there isn't anything that measures your problem solving skills, creativity, social intelligence and so forth.  And since parents are also institutionalized, they put education on a higher pedestal than it should be instead of cultivating and encouraging kids to grow into themselves.  Don't get me twisted, education is important.  It's great to be multifaceted.  But school is not for everyone. College is not for everyone. And parents should be focused on directing their kids toward their maximum potential whether it's being an astrophysicist or a sculptor.  Ya dig?

Also, some people who are booksmart are dumb as hell. They're just good at memorization so they can pass tests. 

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

January 31, 2013 @ 04:53 PM
dmwalking

I agree that smart=nature, well educated=nurture.   But your example is only one example of being smart. 

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

January 31, 2013 @ 05:13 PM
valleyla

I beleive there are different kinds of intelligence.  To paraphrase Einstein, if you judge a fish by how well it can climb trees, it will end up believing it's stupid.  I have a cousin who really isn't booksmart.  The kid flunked a bunch of HS classes and dropped out.  But the kid was a beast when it came to building things. When he was like 12 he built a 2 story dog house for his dog with steps and insulation and windows.  He drew up the blueprints and everything.  When he was 16 he was installing cabinets and counters for people.   That's HIS intelligence.  He's just one example.

School doesn't measure us by our different kinds of intelligence. It basically generates info on who are the most compliant slaves IMO.  Do you do everything you're told?  Do you follow directions? Do you follow the rules? 

Generally there isn't anything that measures your problem solving skills, creativity, social intelligence and so forth.  And since parents are also institutionalized, they put education on a higher pedestal than it should be instead of cultivating and encouraging kids to grow into themselves.  Don't get me twisted, education is important.  It's great to be multifaceted.  But school is not for everyone. College is not for everyone. And parents should be focused on directing their kids toward their maximum potential whether it's being an astrophysicist or a sculptor.  Ya dig?

Also, some people who are booksmart are dumb as hell. They're just good at memorization so they can pass tests. 
This is probably the best explanation really.

I think people can be both educated and smart too. People like myself were able to get by in high school without studying and sleeping class because we're smart. I slept through my entire freshman and sophomore years and was getting As, Bs and Cs. I know kids who had to grind to get Bs. 

But smart people can also become educated on their own by studying fields they're interested in if that makes sense.
January 31, 2013 @ 05:49 PM
dmwalking

To be honest fuck school. I mite jus home skool the lil niggas and bitches dat will come out of my ballsack, but at the same time skool mite be a social experience i dun want them to miss out on. Sumthin ill def debate.

School is a good social experience. And you should encourage learning.  Learning makes people more interesting.

But don't judge them based on how well they perform school related tasks.   I hated school. I never did homework.  I passed based on test scores and the occasional paper that was like 100000000% of your final grade for some reason. So my academic performance looked horrible. My grades never really reflected my level of intelligence or what kind of intelligence I possess. Like I said man, school assesses who the best slaves...I mean employees... are. 

January 31, 2013 @ 06:59 PM
Pantic

Not all people are fit for studying, long educations and the type of job that come with it, and education sure does not equal intelligence.

i had a girl in my class back in high school who didn't miss a single class ever, she had perfect grades in every class and went on to be accepted at a highly regarded college right after.
Thing is, leading a normal ass conversation with her was annoying as fuck because she just seemed dumb in so many aspects. She lacked a ton of social experience and was bad with people, but good at repeating school related things a ton of times to reach perfection in that aspect.

On the other hand i had a friend a few years back who was content with being a wood worker his entire life, but i loved talking to him because he was very smart and perceptive, while if i had never had a private conversation with the dude would have assumed him to be an idiot, simply because my ignorance back then had me put people in boxes according to dumb things like choice of education and work.
January 31, 2013 @ 07:13 PM
hbmod

January 31, 2013 @ 08:26 PM
theycallmeblack

So how do people like Good Will Hunting (or someone like him, they exist) or Mark Zuckerberg get so good at one thing like math or coding or whatever without being taught? Are those people geniuses? Are their brains wired a certain way that they can calculate something that no one else can? Those people can be socially dumb too.
January 31, 2013 @ 08:47 PM
dmwalking

The smartest man in the US works as a bartender and bouncer.  Food for thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ak5Lr3qkW0

January 31, 2013 @ 08:52 PM
dmwalking

So how do people like Good Will Hunting (or someone like him, they exist) or Mark Zuckerberg get so good at one thing like math or coding or whatever without being taught? Are those people geniuses? Are their brains wired a certain way that they can calculate something that no one else can? Those people can be socially dumb too.
Yes. The brain is like a computer.  Think of autistic people who have savant syndrome.  They struggle to lead independent normal lives, meanwhile they can compute any math problem you throw at them, for example.  So that person's computer is more like a calculator.  The average person's brain is like a basic laptop.  A genius' brain is like a super computer.  Some brains can't even compute certain things. Others have stronger processors and are able to compute much faster. Other computers are specialized and are better at one thing than another.   Get it?

So yeah, when it comes to genius people, it just comes natural.   Like Kim Ung-Yong (yeah, I googled it, haha) who was solving calculus problems at age 3. 

http://palscience.com/science/the-worlds-top-8-smartest-people/

Please login first to reply.