Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
January 31, 2013 @ 03:37 PM
unoedoe

Ask questions and pretend to be interested in other people's lives. People like talking about themselves
qft.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034
February 1, 2013 @ 11:45 PM
kumonoy

you usually come with a lot more advice thant that dm

LOL. I was pressed for time. I'll try again.

OP, I'm going to guess that you don't make friends easily.  Don't feel bad.  The truth is that until modernization and the industrial revolution, people interacted socially with mostly people they grew up with.  This is why it was a friendlier time.  Now a days, we're contantly forced into social situations with total strangers.  Not everyone is an extrovert.  Not everyone is outgoing. Media leads us to believe that you're SUPPOSED to be extroverted as if something is wrong with you.   The world got along just fine for centuries with people who only had a handful of friends and fam that they grew up with. Don't feel bad about being shy.  Don't feel bad for not being as social as others.

Step 1. Be comfortable with yourself.  Assess who you are.  Are you awkward? Are you quiet?  Aight, that's who you are.  Be that and be ok with it.  People might say, "you don't talk much." Or antagonize with "cat got your tongue?"  Just say you're just a quiet person. That's just your style.  

Step 2. If you're shy, the easiest way to get to know people is through common interests.  That's why I say join a club.   I'm sure your college has pleny to choose from.  And if there's nothing that is a current interest, find one that MIGHT be interesting and join that one.  You might learn something new and you'll make friends the easy way. Then those friends may introduce you to more. From there, you should build enough social confidence to make other friends easier. 

Hope that helps.

Don't be depressed.  Sometimes that is a chemical imbalance, sometimes it's a choice.  And doing enjoyable things (especially physical activity) produces chemicals that will balance you out without pills.  I know this cuz I been through it.

Good luck homie.
dam u always surprise me man. Wasnt really feel in it till i read that chemical stuff on tht last paragraph. ya im gana start working out like crazy to get that feeling bro. Oh and im not really shy im really talkative to people im close with. But the people i want to be close with right now are the ones im having a hard time/shy talking to. I guess im jus a little inexperienced socially like i dnt know much about random things to be able to talk to people
February 1, 2013 @ 11:56 PM
loofy

I have found that it is true though about physical activity. Any time I play soccer (or anything..) all my stress about school and everything goes away. I think it's just because the physical activity takes your mind off it and so for a time, you're emotionally stress free. No one's judging you either.
February 2, 2013 @ 12:14 AM
Pantic

I have found that it is true though about physical activity. Any time I play soccer (or anything..) all my stress about school and everything goes away. I think it's just because the physical activity takes your mind off it and so for a time, you're emotionally stress free. No one's judging you either.
Yeah but it only lasts for like an hour or two afterwards then that shit is back to how it was. 
And what kind of soccer do you play where no one judges you? I've never done any kind of sport where people didn't judge lmao.

Please login first to reply.