Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
January 9, 2013 @ 04:24 PM
crushtina

I'm doing a dissertation/thesis on streetwear brands, the consumption and marketing of it etc.
 I'm not by standards that involved or that knowledgeable about streetwear beyond talking to friends who are into it or just plain observation, so I'm pretty new to it all. I've been reading threads trying to grasp the different cultures, music and activities that streetwear consumers are into. I'd really like to discuss topics like what introduced you to these sort of brands e.g. Stussy, Obey, or even newer independent labels. What attracts you to specific ones? Do you find it's mostly through music, skating or just the people you've been around? What's the culture like surrounding it? How far do you go to find limited edition or vintage gear that no one else has? 

For example, before I started my dissertation I noticed that more and more people were wearing these sort of brands at hardcore shows. People getting into collecting Nike Air Max, wearing Commes Des Garcons etc, which was never really present in that community before. Odd Future hype definitely boosted mass popularity I think, couple of years ago. Do you think that's changed how you shop and look for brands, knowing that everyone is getting into it? Obey for example?

Would be good to get some feedback on this thread. Please don't be a dick about it, this stuff is pretty time-consuming and I just want to see your opinions, views on streetwear branding etc. Would be good to get detailed responses too, but otherwise just talk! Thanks.
January 9, 2013 @ 05:01 PM
SHARKlN

just some advice. start narrow and bring the broad in to support. here, you're starting very broad and looking for specifics to back it up.

otherwise, you won't have a thesis/dissertation, just an essay.
January 9, 2013 @ 05:41 PM
Hades

I found out about "streetwear" thru luck.I saw a store with dope looking tees and shit inside it and decided to see what it was all about.My friends found out about it thru me and their other friends/associates I guess found out about it thru them and so on and so on.its more of a monkey see monkey do type thing nowadays.
January 9, 2013 @ 10:21 PM
crushtina

just some advice. start narrow and bring the broad in to support. here, you're starting very broad and looking for specifics to back it up.

otherwise, you won't have a thesis/dissertation, just an essay.
Yeah, I'm aware how vague I sound. I do have a specific question or "topic" I'm basing it around (It's on a concept called Tribal Marketing; creating brand communities through sponsorship and providing platforms of communication) but I wanted to just get any sort of feedback, rhetoric and what interests people. This is in the basic, early stages really. But thanks for your advice anyway!
January 9, 2013 @ 10:55 PM
99%Shit

Odd Future? Nah. Clipse, Wayne and Pharrell. 

narsha.narsha.narsha

January 10, 2013 @ 12:28 AM
oneallah

look at the box logo,
look with your heart
it will all become clear,
anyways yeah fuck oddfuture,there def not from a couple of years ago, they just came into the big picture like a year and a half ago i think-well thats when i started hearing about them-most people who have been wearing streetwear for a long time wear it because they like it and want it-not because some faggots wear it
search up people like nigo, james jebbia, pharrell, and a few others who have redefined the meaning of streetwear
January 10, 2013 @ 12:32 AM
loofy

Odd Future were the ones to really teach suburban white kids about supreme, huf, etc. imo.. Wayne was never into that shit..he only started wearing vans, high socks, tight jeans, skate shit, around the time Tyler was blowing up.

Pharrell more behind the scenes imo, not that many kids know who he is or his whole style tbh
January 10, 2013 @ 03:25 AM
99%Shit

Younging. 2006. BAPE, BBC, The Hundreds, Supras, Crooks, 10 Deep, this shit was huge then. Tyler the Creator, lol. Strictly Ice Cream, Bathing Ape and BBC rocker.

narsha.narsha.narsha

March 12, 2014 @ 09:41 AM
andrewalpert4

At my dissertation writing time I found Coursework Labs. You guys should try them as i have good experience with this company.
March 12, 2014 @ 03:32 PM
totalespionage

Like 2004 in 9th grade I started to fuck with SB Dunks and other Nike athletic shoes and then streetwear soon followed and it was all downhill from there.
March 12, 2014 @ 05:49 PM
drewblocka

came here to read the LRG thread every day back in 07.

back then this streetwear shit wasn't as 'mainstream' as it is now.  would only see the majority of these brands in pictures on the internet, plus a couple pinoids around my junior college. Once the rappers and celebs latched themselves onto this lifestyle it was a wrap.  Thanks to tumblr and instagram, the average ass person was introduced to a lot of the shit that they normally wouldn't see unless they were on a messageboard like hypebeast, iss, sufu, 5th d etc. 

the internet made what we do 'cool' over the past few years. we definitely influenced a lot of this culture.  All the shit we used to wear, or clothes that look exactly the same are now found at your local mall.  Streetwear brands will do anything to stay relevant thesedays.  This includes collabos with musicians, artists, actors, athletes.. and while some of these projects are cool, we see a lot of people get collabs with brands like neff(lul). pretty corny in the eyes of us hypebeasts, but OMG so kewl snoopdawg beanie copped from zumiez for all the regular streetwear consumers. 

now as hypebeasts, our taste has matured along with the real streetwear brands we still identify with.. whereas these brands that popped up and the big brands that are 'selling out' are still copying the aesthetic that we were on back in like 09. 

don't know if any of that makes sense. ranting whilst pooping.

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

March 12, 2014 @ 06:30 PM
dirtyandypants

Streetwear's moved from being about exclusivity to being the standard. 

You used to buy Supreme to be cooler than everyone else. Now you buy Supreme in order to fit in with everyone else. This change happened really quickly. Now every HS/college dude who was into the exclusivity is salty because their spot's blown up by young rich kids. At the same time, they're too broke to buy better jawnz because they don't have real jobs yet. 

Hence, you now have a bunch of broke college boys tryna maintain their cool by buyin the cheapest visvim items: FBTs. 
March 12, 2014 @ 06:40 PM
flu

I got into streetwear through my friends that lived in my neighborhood. I followed the monkey see monkey do thing and to be honest probably still am. The only thing is that I buy stuff I like to wear so it feels justifiable to me. The thing that attracts me to certain brands is now the exclusivity of it or if I like the product and meaning behind it I will buy it.

WTB: Supreme Quilted Satin Bomber Sz: Med.

March 12, 2014 @ 06:44 PM
flu

You used to buy Supreme to be cooler than everyone else. Now you buy Supreme in order to fit in with everyone else. This change happened really quickly. Now every HS/college dude who was into the exclusivity is salty because their spot's blown up by young rich kids. At the same time, they're too broke to buy better jawnz because they don't have real jobs yet. 

Hence, you now have a bunch of broke college boys tryna maintain their cool by buyin the cheapest visvim items: FBTs. 
I agree with this statement fully. The purchasing of FBT's and visvim seems extreme in order to remain 'cool' in someone else's eyes. I think the whole cool factor and looking for approval between men is what has our ideals messed up. In order to gain that approval some will go great lengths to get it. ex: buying overpriced clothes.

WTB: Supreme Quilted Satin Bomber Sz: Med.

June 5, 2014 @ 01:09 PM
Mah Nigga

Very interisting discussion.

though i may partially disagree with what is being said here.

Streetwear became now a norm in youth's clothing. Most of them, in the western world, are usually dressed in sneakers, jeans, tees or sports jackets.

Yet , streetwear as we here know  it still remains a niche domain.  Of course Odd future has changed things. For ever. Supreme went from the cool and rare brand to the fuckboy kid shit. But in the meantime, brands like visvim wtaps, patta and exclusive sneakers collab are still accessible to a few people. the same that usually browse on blogs and internets forums (HB ISS etc..).

The way I see it is that Streetwear must be seen as a twofold world. You have the emerged part of the iceberg which , as you perfectly said , is the standard nowadays. It goes from nike roshes run to adidas zx  and af1 and basic fuckboys items wearers. And on the other part, the niche world is made up by rare items known by a few.

But it seems that a lot of people , in order to be the coolest possible, are trying to dig this obscure world that is "exclusive streetwear".
June 5, 2014 @ 01:13 PM
Mah Nigga

As for me, i got into streetwear since I ve started "collecting sneakers". Back in the late 2000s.. Was 16 17.
As I digged into the sneaker world community, i discovered this whole streetwear world.

but tbh, im not that much into streetwear. I fux with sneakers but thats all. Im not really into large hoodies , jawnz, hats, and hardcore shit like you could find in the OG WDYWT threads.
June 5, 2014 @ 01:58 PM
wh0die

Please stop mentioning Obey it's never been cool in the streetwear scene.

Odd Future were the ones to really teach suburban white kids about supreme, huf, etc. imo.. Wayne was never into that shit..he only started wearing vans, high socks, tight jeans, skate shit, around the time Tyler was blowing up.

Pharrell more behind the scenes imo, not that many kids know who he is or his whole style tbh
Wayne has always been into streetwear you 12 year old, also the OddFuture suburban white kids are not streetwear go look in the Supreme thread and then in OT. It's a completely different world, those are real hypebeast.
You can't compare this:

To This:

June 5, 2014 @ 04:40 PM
Paul_Noir

holy 2013 thread batman...though a good subject...why is this back?

When in doubt, Fap it out...-Paul_Noir

June 5, 2014 @ 09:12 PM
Bishop Don SpacePimp

IMO "streetwear" has always been a shitty and misleading title. Odd Future pushed Supreme into super duper world wide notoriety but in all honesty these brands such as Preme,Huf,Alife(R.I.P.),Stussy,ect.. have been known and popular far before the "streetwear" term was even a thing. In all honesty skater culture is the largest influence on the streetwear culture and almost all these brands new and old take their blueprints from it. Hundreds,Obey,LRG, and even Bape are what caused a larger cross over appeal in the early 2000's. But if you were from any major city and in the know or up on skating, brands like Supreme,Fuct,Stussy,aNYthing and numerous other brands had already been established and doing what is now considered streetwear this all was nothing new. At the end of the day it has evolved into a more "high" fashion direction now a days but I must say the popularity has deteriorated the "culture" significantly especially with suburbia going bonkers with it. Obey has always been shit. LRG needs to get credit for it's mainstream influence be it good or bad. Stussy,Fuct, & Preme need to be respected as the vets. And Preme never started out in the early 90's to be what it is now but I'm sure they ain't complaining. And finally sneaker collecting has been around since the 80's. And Air Max's been popular since they dropped. It's just with the internet everyone including kids in the sticks can now take part in what those in the know have been up on since forever. Grandpa has spoken over and out.smile Peace to the illiterate that will respond "TLDR"cool

I've been known to invoke......FEELINGS. #NoPromo #NoFearGang #AntiMuffinMovement

June 5, 2014 @ 09:15 PM
Mah Nigga

^nigga when u were our age streetwear didnt even exist  lmao
this nigga has seen streetwear born and lived
June 5, 2014 @ 09:19 PM
Bishop Don SpacePimp

^^When I was your age I was planting my seed in your old earth.smile

I've been known to invoke......FEELINGS. #NoPromo #NoFearGang #AntiMuffinMovement

June 5, 2014 @ 09:24 PM
Mah Nigga

lol more like workin at mcdonalds yeah

nah for real, im curious, what were u wearin back in the days ? before supreme even existed LMAO
June 5, 2014 @ 09:36 PM
Bishop Don SpacePimp

I've had one Supreme hat my friend gave me. Besides that I have never purchased one article of Preme.
I rocked Graffitti shit when I was bout that life as well as Polo,Nautica,Helly Hansen,some LRG for a minute cause I had ties to the company. But in my teens I was a booster so I rocked what I racked.Now that I'm much older 90% of my clothes are Ralph because it's timeless and looks fly for all situations as well as I been on it since a likkle yout.

Edit: Can't forget Timberland & Sports Jerseyscool

June 5, 2014 @ 10:24 PM
99%Shit

For example, before I started my dissertation I noticed that more and more people were wearing these sort of brands at hardcore shows. People getting into collecting Nike Air Max, wearing Commes Des Garcons etc, which was never really present in that community before. Odd Future hype definitely boosted mass popularity I think, couple of years ago. 
People have been wearing 'streetwear' at hardcore shows for a long time. 10 years ago, you'd probably have more kids in Sup 5 panels and Dunks at a hardcore show than you would a hip-hop show. Everyone I knew that was into Supreme before the mid-2000s was into hardcore as well as skateboarding/biking. Can't really speak on CDG, because with the exception of Japanese students, that gets no play here. For AMs, I think that's just natural progression from Dunks, but I was never really big into sneakers, so it's hard to add anything of merit.

narsha.narsha.narsha

Please login first to reply.