Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
December 27, 2012 @ 12:15 AM
King Louis XIV

Can anyone explain what you do in computer science?

I heard it's mostly math....?

Im thinking about minoring in Comp Sci. to make my resume stand out a little more....

It is legal because I wish it.

December 27, 2012 @ 12:32 AM
Guapamole

just take a class n see how u like it...curriculum depends on what type of comp sci class u take html, c++, etc
December 27, 2012 @ 08:34 AM
uEih

Math will help but it's not based off that and isn't too important unless you're doing programming for games, etc. I would say it's mostly logic and understanding it. But don't get me wrong, you still will need a fairly good understanding up to Calc 2, Linear Algebra, and maybe some statistics.
December 27, 2012 @ 09:03 AM
tronwin

Computer Science is programming.  Understanding of math helps most definitely in the writing of a lot of logic based algorithms.  If you enjoy problem/puzzle solving, computer science is something you should look into.  But coming from someone with first hand experience, it's tough.
December 27, 2012 @ 10:15 AM
iggy-koopa

Computer Science is programming.  Understanding of math helps most definitely in the writing of a lot of logic based algorithms.  If you enjoy problem/puzzle solving, computer science is something you should look into.  But coming from someone with first hand experience, it's tough.
qft

to OP: what is your major?

Honestly I love computer science because it comes easy to me, and I enjoy the challenge when it doesn't. Doing homework doesn't even feel like homework cause the programs we write are pretty cool imo. It's kind of like math in terms of having multiple ways of getting to the same solution, and math (matrices, etc) comes up pretty often too. Look up discrete structures -- it's more of the dryer side of comp sci tho.
January 5, 2013 @ 05:10 PM
cernio

Took an intro comp sci class last semester and though it was cool. I'm in business but I can't see myself in an office all day and im not really feelin it  I was thinkin bout switchin to computer science. Only thing is my school is super weak in it and I feel like this is the kind of major where you need a good program to learn the material and get a solid job.

Anybody got some ideas on good schools to look into with decent comp sci programs? I kinda want to transfer anyways so I might as well look into transferring for my major
January 5, 2013 @ 06:33 PM
_____

Comp Sci is a ton of fun. Took it in high school and learned java. Taking it in college as my major with engineering. 
January 5, 2013 @ 07:22 PM
me>u

qft

to OP: what is your major?

Honestly I love computer science because it comes easy to me, and I enjoy the challenge when it doesn't. Doing homework doesn't even feel like homework cause the programs we write are pretty cool imo. It's kind of like math in terms of having multiple ways of getting to the same solution, and math (matrices, etc) comes up pretty often too. Look up discrete structures -- it's more of the dryer side of comp sci tho.

My major is History so im looking to minor in something different.

instagram: funthera

January 5, 2013 @ 07:26 PM
PowerCum

its a broke boi major
im a women's studies major 
January 5, 2013 @ 07:39 PM
paulywalnuts

good money but if youre not smart and comfortable with writing code in yr cave 50 hrs a week you better rethink it 

i master bait from time to time/// wtb - supreme mohair cardigan large, orange or pink, pm me...

January 5, 2013 @ 07:40 PM
koolgtrap

January 5, 2013 @ 07:43 PM
Pantic

its a broke boi major
im a women's studies major 
OP should major in women's studies, he need to understand he won't get a wife that didn't suck no dick
January 6, 2013 @ 02:55 AM
Panther.

Apache aka Kim Jong Trill aka Trainer Red aka HA4VAN4GANGSTA, why are you in history major? It has one of the highest unemployment rates. I mean, where else do you use it besides being a USH prof?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Florida State Seminole

January 6, 2013 @ 07:50 AM
me>u

Apache aka Kim Jong Trill aka Trainer Red aka HA4VAN4GANGSTA, why are you in history major? It has one of the highest unemployment rates. I mean, where else do you use it besides being a USH prof?

My major isn't called history. the full name is "History secondary education." Theres a difference. its the major to become a highschool or middle school history teacher. I enjoy history and teaching, so why not?

instagram: funthera

January 6, 2013 @ 05:22 PM
Panther.

My major isn't called history. the full name is "History secondary education." Theres a difference. its the major to become a highschool or middle school history teacher. I enjoy history and teaching, so why not?
Nothing wrong with it, I just didn't see you ever mention before you wanted to become a prof. It's a hard job because it's a lot of memorization, and low pay. Also there are a lot of teachers trying to get a job. But you should be good and worse comes to worse, you could switch your major. But it seems like you have a passion for it, so go right for it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Florida State Seminole

January 6, 2013 @ 08:16 PM
B Low Brown

Idk how I passed the intro course to comp sci but I got a B smh

i hope next semester isnt significantly harder 

@b_low_brown Killerbrownies.tumblr.com

January 7, 2013 @ 05:20 AM
paulywalnuts

on the real...dudes major in stupid shit because they have a passion for it or whatever, and that's fine...but you want to set yourself up so you have good skills that will lead you to a good job and fulfilling career.  programming will do that for you.  the unemployment rate is really high right now, but guess what?  programmers aren't out of work for the most part.  they're getting raises, and promotions, and buying cars and houses and starting families.  pursue other hobbies, like history or whatever in your free time, but focus on getting a job in business like accounting, finance, information systems, or engineering of some type, computer science, or pre-law/pre-med.  there is no point in going to college unless you want a degree in something useful, that will give you skills employers want to see.   

i master bait from time to time/// wtb - supreme mohair cardigan large, orange or pink, pm me...

January 7, 2013 @ 05:33 AM
Josh.

^^^ as much as I agree with that, you also need to do something you enjoy otherwise you will end up hating your job/career

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

January 7, 2013 @ 06:24 AM
cernio

on the real...dudes major in stupid shit because they have a passion for it or whatever, and that's fine...but you want to set yourself up so you have good skills that will lead you to a good job and fulfilling career.  programming will do that for you.  the unemployment rate is really high right now, but guess what?  programmers aren't out of work for the most part.  they're getting raises, and promotions, and buying cars and houses and starting families.  pursue other hobbies, like history or whatever in your free time, but focus on getting a job in business like accounting, finance, information systems, or engineering of some type, computer science, or pre-law/pre-med.  there is no point in going to college unless you want a degree in something useful, that will give you skills employers want to see.   
Church! Accounting is so dead doe my friends be dying. Engineering is cool. Some of the specific ones like mechanical and biomedical sound hard af haha. Does it matter where you do a computer science degree at?

Please login first to reply.