Get 15% Off + Free Shipping on Orders over $150 - Use Code: EPICSUMMER
August 7, 2012 @ 07:44 PM
northwest

Don't go on hypebeast for college advice lol. Most of these guys have been at community college for 4+ years/aren't in uni/are in denial about the importance of a college degree. Talk to an academic adviser at your school, and of course spend a lot of time thinking about it yourself... I honestly would explore more majors at your school and take classes. U of T is a dope school.... don't take your opportunity for granted, people would kill to be in your position.
August 7, 2012 @ 08:00 PM
escapade

@djazz @damnwitless1 @northwest

Thanks a lot guys! Wise words, I'll take everything into consideration. Take it easy, Peace & Love. I got a lot of things to think about ( : Have a great day to all of you.
August 7, 2012 @ 08:16 PM
BuddyOmar

i love seeing the typical "dont drop out, itll ruin your life blah blah blah" some bitch i know had her bachelors for three years making 15$ an hour working for a school district. Guess what? Im like 5 years younger with the same damn job and no college. not saying its a great job, but a degree doesnt mean much when you cant find a job.

Well that's exactly why if you're smart, you treat a degree like an investment. If you're doing something creative or some bullshit like Sociology or Education, just go to a CC and limit your loans. If you're investing in a degree to become a doctor or some shit, of course you're gonna see a good return on your investment and it's worth the risk. I'm just trying to tell this dumb asian nigga that he should be prepared and just get something as a safety net. A degree isn't a guarantee of a good job, let a lone a job at all, but there's no reason to be a fuck nigga and put it off completely.

BTW asian nigga, I get what you're saying now, but you might wanna consider diversifying how you'll generate capital. What type of business are you looking to start anyways?

yo i feel you buddy. Call me a fuck nigga but Ive already came to conclusion that Im not fucking with college. Shit i know my goals are unrealistic and ill have to work 2x as hard, but ive come to terms with that. worst comes to worst ill pick up a trade.

Damn i didn't mean to generalize like that blood. How old are you and what exactly do you do for the district b? A job is a job, if you got one, you luckier than most people

nah no hard feelings. i just turned 20 and Im a substitute aid for handicap kids. Yea man shit is tough right now. I want to be a business owner/have my own brand (i see you buddy omar lifestyle brand). both far fetched goals and I understand a degree is a nice fall back, but when it comes down to it im not about that college life. Im going to into everything with a well thought out plan, try to make some connections and just hustle until I am at where i want to be.

Believe that blood. I just turned 19 and i'm grinding too. Young niggas gotta stick together out here. Internet marketing and shit is a big part of it too b. I don't make these ridiculous songs and jawns just to get attention believe that-- everything got a purpose to it. You ever need any help with anything b, just hit me up on twitter or PM me.

As long as you have an original concept, and some capital, blood, anything is possible. I work with another brand with some better connections and shit too helping with marketing and creative development type shit. If you got a good idea and run into some capital, again b, lemme know. Not looking to get paid either. I just like to see people shine on here. We all gotta stick together. #OYYOYSL

fuck, you my nigga buddy. shoot me that twitter!

It was in my sig b, but it's gucci: twitter is @buddy_omar

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBuddyOmar?feature=mhee |||||||||||||| Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/buddy_omar

August 7, 2012 @ 09:11 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Unless you enjoy having your job replaced by a Mexican, an Indian or a robot you have to pick something that can't be outsourced.
August 8, 2012 @ 01:30 AM
escapade

Very true.
August 8, 2012 @ 01:46 AM
Anti-Hero

Read as far as " going to fund my business with street dancing"

Real talk, some of the dumbest wishful thinking I've ever read about. Dat bum street dancer lifestyle guaranteed won't keep the lights and sure as hell won't make it, B.

flickr.com/leavetownrightnow/

August 8, 2012 @ 03:54 AM
that dude

suspended

Homie.. Two reason why you shouldn't drop out of school.

1. You couldn't even figure out the proper context in which to use this gif

2. Said gif(and video you posted) displays how bad your bboy skills are

are you fucking retarded there wasn't even anything to read.
August 8, 2012 @ 02:23 PM
escapade

@that dude

If you read above, you'd know I didn't make the gif lol, and the video was from last year too.
August 8, 2012 @ 09:17 PM
stalker46ss

EVERYBODY EVER FELT THIS OP IS A TROLL???
August 8, 2012 @ 09:39 PM
escapade

Alright well, I wasn't trolling. It seems like theres no more room to believe in dreams being back by hardwork and Passion
anymore. For all of you guys on hypebeast telling ppl they can't make it. All I've got to say is watch me.
August 8, 2012 @ 11:13 PM
Assblaster Slamcock

Alright well, I wasn't trolling. It seems like theres no more room to believe in dreams being back by hardwork and Passion
anymore. For all of you guys on hypebeast telling ppl they can't make it. All I've got to say is watch me.

as a fellow dancer, i understand where you're coming from. but you lack foresight.
what will happen once you hit 40, and won't be able to dance as well anymore? sure you can open up a studio, but the money in dance is based on ballet and jazz. one of my hip-hop teachers, who's only 22 and just finished college, has been in the prestigious monsters of hip-hop, performed live on so you think you can dance, toured with justin bieber, danced in one of jennifer lopez's music videos, and has traveled the world in pursuit of dance. yeah he's living his dream, but he balanced college at the same time. he did it so if dance didn't work out for him, he'd have a back up plan. at the end of the day, enjoying life and pursuing your passion may not always put food on the table - and that's what matters the most.

for every successful dancer, there is a million behind him.
August 9, 2012 @ 02:37 AM
escapade

real talk, thanks a lot @remixed
August 9, 2012 @ 02:57 AM
Assblaster Slamcock

real talk, thanks a lot @remixed

no prob b, just think this shit through. good luck.
August 9, 2012 @ 09:01 AM
1nce*

Honestly if you have a strong vision and a plan with what you are planning to do. You don't need school. I've met plenty of young CEO's 19-20 who have dropped out and are doing well (ie. Gumroad CEO, USC drop out). But the difference between the successful ones from the ones you see bumming around is that they have a vision and plan with what they are about to pursue.

edit: If your actually planning to drop out to pursue something (brand, company, etc) I hope your a well spoken person (ie. strong speaker, and strong writing skills). It's a common trait you see from those who are successful (again referring to CEO's who have dropped out). You don't need to piggyback on a degree to get far, but being a strong and well spoken person will get you far in life.

August 9, 2012 @ 02:53 PM
pinheadlarry

Honestly if you have a strong vision and a plan with what you are planning to do. You don't need school. I've met plenty of young CEO's 19-20 who have dropped out and are doing well (ie. Gumroad CEO, USC drop out). But the difference between the successful ones from the ones you see bumming around is that they have a vision and plan with what they are about to pursue.

edit: If your actually planning to drop out to pursue something (brand, company, etc) I hope your a well spoken person (ie. strong speaker, and strong writing skills). It's a common trait you see from those who are successful (again referring to CEO's who have dropped out). You don't need to piggyback on a degree to get far, but being a strong and well spoken person will get you far in life.

What you don't realize, is that most people like that come from pretty well off families, and have the credit to borrow loans and shit to start a company. Banks and private lending companies really aren't giving loans out like they used to.

I'm not sure the OP is living that life lol, especially since he wants to be a dancer.

I honestly think that at his current state, by dropping out he is just dooming himself to a life of dead end jobs.

I don't know for sure though, I'm not gonna lie i'm not the expert. My whole family is college educated, all the way to my aunts, uncles, and cousins, and I grew up in an area where pretty much everyone goes to college, gets a degree, and gets an internship or goes to grad school and usually ends up pretty well for themselves.

That's all I really know, and everyone I know that did dropout or didn't go to college is like a bartender or works on cars (The car thing is oddly a common trend around here for people who didn't go to college, I even know a couple guys who own their own business so kudos to them)

but Dancing? idk man, all the REAL dancers I know went to good snooty art schools, or just quit dance altogether and got a non creative degree.
August 9, 2012 @ 03:24 PM
damnwitless1

best advice I could give to you is move to NYC bro, this whole city is built on niggas with nothing grinding their asses off to make unlikely dreams happen, its a pretty common story, you just gotta be willing to hustle

All I do is smoke weed and listen to MF DOOM innercitykidsmusic.com

August 9, 2012 @ 03:32 PM
dmwalking

I just took my first year at the University of Toronto and it was boring as hell and I didn't feel like I got anywhere with it myself. I'm planning to drop out of school to pursue things that I have a passion for, what do you guys think about school?

Does this passion require that you quit school? Or is it something that you can do on the side? What's your major? Why don't you major in something that will benefit your passion?

I mean, don't quit school unless you have to. But if you really don't need school, then don't do it. It's smart to have a degree to fall back on though.

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

August 9, 2012 @ 05:22 PM
Crejus

No offense to anyone in this thread, but I like to keep it real and that's why people call me an asshole to the original poster....if you have to come on here looking for advice on serious life decisions...you're fucked...This may sound harsh but you lack guidance and drive. There's little n****s on the train right now dancing better than you for nickel and dimes, so if I sit on the train like "these dudes suck." You better think this whole thing over. You think any of these motherfuckers in this thread gonna care when your whole career is in shambles when you fuck your leg up hopping round like an idiot like in that gif.? Nah. They wouldn't even let you sleep on the couch. They don't know you and that's my point...speak to people you know before you make life altering decisions. You must have a successful aunt or uncle ..someone to talk to besides strangers
August 9, 2012 @ 05:24 PM

Inactive

DStyles can't drop out, cuz he never had the chance 4 an education

Vashtie is the most beautiful woman alive

August 9, 2012 @ 05:25 PM
DStyles

DStyles can't drop out, cuz he never had the chance 4 an education

lol this lil nikka is infatuated with me

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

August 9, 2012 @ 05:26 PM
dmwalking

No offense to anyone in this thread, but I like to keep it real and that's why people call me an asshole to the original poster....if you have to come on here looking for advice on serious life decisions...you're fucked...This may sound harsh but you lack guidance and drive. There's little n****s on the train right now dancing better than you for nickel and dimes, so if I sit on the train like "these dudes suck." You better think this whole thing over. You think any of these motherfuckers in this thread gonna care when your whole career is in shambles when you fuck your leg up hopping round like an idiot like in that gif.? Nah. They wouldn't even let you sleep on the couch. They don't know you and that's my point...speak to people you know before you make life altering decisions. You must have a successful aunt or uncle ..someone to talk to besides strangers

You preachin bro. So this nigga wants to quit school to be a dancer? SMH.

Reasons to quit school:

You have a business idea that will make you rich (BIll Gates)

You technically don't need a degree because you can learn on your own. (Lots of IT jobs)

You don't quit school to make it in the entertainment industry.

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

August 9, 2012 @ 05:28 PM
DStyles

Meet Jay-Z at the mall, make shitty music that people will like and you too can be like Kanye West, a college dropout.

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

August 9, 2012 @ 05:34 PM
Zeeks

to a bboy from a bboy, if you want to excel at bboying and make money get the fuck out of toronto, the scene is not going to bolster your skills any higher, you won't make it to international level standards. Get your ass to Florida/California or even New York if you want to get better and make it big.
August 9, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
damnwitless1

yeah thats another major thing, make sure you're around positive minded people who are also doing shit, networking is going to be your bread and butter. It definitely is all about who you know but getting to know the right people isn't that hard if you're serious

All I do is smoke weed and listen to MF DOOM innercitykidsmusic.com

August 9, 2012 @ 06:40 PM
Shanklin

I say instead of dropping out, take a semester off. That's what I did and it wasn't totally worthless. In the proccess of taking a semester off i've gained way more notoriety as a photographer, got a job (being broke sucks), and learned hella shit about myself.

I was totally like you at 18 man, I was on that OF mentality "man fuck school I can do anything I want if I tried hard enough" haha, but I later came to the realization that school is very important, not only for the education, but also for the connections. You will come across A LOT of people during your many years of schooling that may or may not be of help later on down the road. Everybody in school is there for the same reason, to be successful, so why not capitalize off that? You never know who may be classmates with...

After 6 months, and you still feel as if school is unnecessary, maybe then you should consider dropping out. But realize if you think it's hard now, it's going to be 10x harder without a formal education.

In 2 weeks i'll be going to CC (I had way to much fun at a university) studying commercial photography. I was majoring in Fine Art Photography for a bit at my previous university, and during my semester off I realized what I need to do in order to market myself as a successful photographer.

I never want to tell my kids "when I was younger I used to be a....", especially if what you used to do is your passion.

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

Please login first to reply.