Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
July 20, 2012 @ 09:06 PM
No Fuxx Given

Dm you do have a point I see exactly where you're coming from about money not being everything and all that. It's just I always see family members stressing about money and I'm not trying to end up like that. I want a job thats not too stressful but still make a decent amount of money. And when I do have a family I want to be able to provide for my kids w.e they want and have em living comfortably.

At the same time though when you break down hours of the day you start to see that you really don't have alot of time for yourself especially when you have a family. idk... decisions decisions.confused

Fly on little wing

July 20, 2012 @ 09:17 PM
dmwalking

Dm you do have a point I see exactly where you're coming from about money not being everything and all that. It's just I always see family members stressing about money and I'm not trying to end up like that. I want a job thats not too stressful but still make a decent amount of money. And when I do have a family I want to be able to provide for my kids w.e they want and have em living comfortably.

At the same time though when you break down hours of the day you start to see that you really don't have alot of time for yourself especially when you have a family. idk... decisions decisions.confused

Perspective is everything. A lot of those people stressing over money are usually living at or above their means because they want to keep up with the Jones' based on an media marketed perverted presentation of the "american dream." If you're young, I would recommend you take a trip to a 3rd world country and live like they do. You'll understand that "comfortable" is relative. Real talk, comfortable isn't about a big house. It's about not stressing about dough. You're better off in a two bedroom apartment with money to spare than in a 3 bedroom house that takes 40% of your paycheck. The problem with living AT your means is that you're not saving and you're not prepared for disaster or emergencies.

EDIT: About family time, that's kinda the reason that you should pick a career you enjoy. 9 hours of your day will feel more like fulfilling personal time than work, so you are able to share your time without resentment. Regardless though, niggas shouldn't start a family until they're ready to be selfless anyway. Either that, or learn to derive fulfillment from family time.

But yeah, work consumes most of our time. So you may as well pick something you like. I'd rather be happy with a honda than miserable with benz. Not saying you can't have both, just saying peace of mind should be the priority, not status symbols.
Live below your means and be stress free bro. Real talk.

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

July 20, 2012 @ 11:21 PM
stalker46ss

So to all the heads philosopizing about choosing a job based on passion, i would like to hear what careers u guys are pursuing
July 20, 2012 @ 11:21 PM
susej

As someone who just graduated HS, let me tell you that you're getting ahead of yourself. Its good that you have a focus on what you want to achieve in life, but time goes both slowly and quickly. I spent a lot of my time thinking about making millions and supporting ALL of my family big time, but then I was like what the fuck am I gonna do right now. There is so much to learn and do and experience out there, that before you know it you're gonna be looking back and think about missed opportunities or some shit. Keep your goal in mind but remember to live right now, this shit will come if you are doing you right.
July 21, 2012 @ 04:48 AM
unemployed

Chill out B, we in canada everything is freeeeeeeeee
July 21, 2012 @ 04:56 AM
damnwitless2

suspended

So to all the heads philosopizing about choosing a job based on passion, i would like to hear what careers u guys are pursuing

rapper haha

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

July 21, 2012 @ 04:57 AM
REVS

I'd be willing to bet the OP amounts to nothing in their lifestyle.

What do you do for a living?

I'm in college getting my Business degree. Not struggling to obtain my high school diploma.

Im gonna be a senior when i go back into highschool and my niggas

You just sound like a person who is going to succeed in life...

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

July 21, 2012 @ 05:03 AM
.kciN

You're being immature and short sighted man. You're making a mistake dude, sure they make bank but it's a fucking demanding course for starters then you graduate and you're stuck in a pharmacy following a doctor's prescriptions your whole life. A brother of my buddy went right through his pharmacy degree and hated it, graduated and still hated it... After years of study he found himself working in a pharmacy as effectively a glorified retail assistant.. Now he wants to go back to study music which is what he's actually passionate about
July 21, 2012 @ 05:46 AM
LckyChrmsBboy

Dm has som# good points.

You need to chose a career that you like and not based on how much you'll make. At least most you cats are real young and can experiment with what you wanna do. I gotta hurry up and get my license back so I can try and get into a dealership.
July 21, 2012 @ 05:42 PM
No Fuxx Given

I'm in college getting my Business degree. Not struggling to obtain my high school diploma.

What's up ur ass nigga? Why are you assuming shit? Never did I say I was struggling to graduate highschool I've never failed a class in my life. In fact I never got a fuckin C in a class before. All I'm doing is asking what you guys think on a possible career choice because I like viewing things from other peoples perspective.

Fly on little wing

July 21, 2012 @ 06:16 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

I know a girl who is in school for pharmacy. Its really hard, I hope you are good at memorizing millions of medical terms and definitions. Also, the pharmacy programs in colleges are strict as fuck. One of the kids in her program smokes weed and word got around and the school piss tested him and kicked him out of the program.
July 21, 2012 @ 06:51 PM
craigsagersuit

listen to alan watts

He's cute? I bet he ain't #Hansum

July 21, 2012 @ 10:17 PM
dmwalking

Well, I'm old so I'm speaking partly from mistakes. I'm blessed with what I have because outside of work I do a few things that I love. So I'm not miserable. But work can feel like it. I work in the world of finance right now. The part of the game I'm in right now is not enjoyable though. I was painted a picture about how I'm gonna help people, but I know the real deal and it's not fun anymore. I recently took some tests to get into the fire department, but I got beat out by the skin of my teeth by a ton of ex military guys who get an automatic 10 point boost to their scores. I was salty at first, but I figure, most of them ain't got much to fall back on and I do, so I'm good. Right now I'm up in the air if I want to get back into selling insurance or financial management where I actually help people rather than protect an employer's bottom line.

In the future I hope to open multiple small businesses to help me fund a couple non profit organizations. With work consuming most of my time, it's difficult to organize this kind of stuff. That's why I urge dudes to commit to your dreams now rather than later.

(sorry if I'm vague about what I do. I just work for a large bank and code of conduct restricts what I can say online. Real talk. One of my boys got canned for a twitter comment. So I gotta be mindful as long as I'm employed.)

guy on some broke bus. Love, Sosa. "Don't feed the trolls" initiative coming soon. We can rebuild.

July 21, 2012 @ 10:38 PM
REVS

What's up ur ass nigga? Why are you assuming shit? Never did I say I was struggling to graduate highschool I've never failed a class in my life. In fact I never got a fuckin C in a class before. All I'm doing is asking what you guys think on a possible career choice because I like viewing things from other peoples perspective.

My man all I'm saying is for that major I'm pretty sure you're going to have to take Organic and/or Inorganic Chem and although you probably took chem and bio in high school it isn't like that. I'm telling you those classes are hard as shit. I'm just not holding my breath, but prove me wrong.

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

July 21, 2012 @ 10:41 PM
that dude

suspended

^ This is 2012, everything is saturated.

what about cybersecurity dipshit
first one that comes to mind of many professions
done wasting my time on children

ya bruh http://believeinmermaids.com/ cool
July 21, 2012 @ 10:58 PM
Mr FantastiK

lol @ this nigga thinking his first job will be 100k a year

brvndon.tumblr.com

July 21, 2012 @ 11:20 PM
wlllm

I'm heading to pharm school next year and undergrad (organic chemistry) was pretty painful. And, even though you'll be making six figures, the cost of 6-7 years of school is really gonna set you back.

But if you're going to pursue it, make sure you know how to manage your time.

Instagram: @wlllm

July 21, 2012 @ 11:33 PM
JACOB LACIDAR KOLA

Everyones input on this thread is extremely insightful glad to know we have conscience people in the fam. But overall to me i believe its better to do what you love and work hard in that field and climb the rankings and making an increased income as time passes instead of jumping into a field because of the salary you might make off gate. Like many people have said you will love the income but you will become a slave to your career with no time for yourself. Just do/work at what you want to do in life and have fun on the journey climbing up in "ranks" not everything is about money G. "Wealth is of the heart and mind and not of the pocket"

:)

July 21, 2012 @ 11:33 PM
jaded

always smart to pick what you want to do for the rest of your working life based on salary

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

July 23, 2012 @ 10:54 AM
Upscale Popeye

Please thank the Jahs, Allahs, and Budhas man. I really want serious answers. We all got to pick what we want to be any help from the older crowd of people who have/are doing it would help

HB's resident old nigga here. Lemme give you some insight from observation and experience. This might be a long read, so brace yourself.

Super short version Don't pick a career path based on money. You'll likely become miserable because time is more important than money and simply living to pay bills and buy toys is not fulfilling for life.

The short version is this: The older you get, and the more financially stable you get, your priorities will change from stressing about money to stressing about time. You can avoid that by picking a career in a field that you will actually love to do. Money will come. A simple life isn't a bad life. A life wasted is worse.

Longer version with some perspective:

Peep it:
24 hours in a day.
8 hours of sleep leaves you with 16 hours.
9 hours are taken away by work (nowadays they don't pay you for lunch) and that leaves you with 7 hours.
You're likely going to commute so lets take away another 1 hour (a lot of times more). You have 6 hours left.
Well, after commuting for 1 hour or more, and giving 9 hours away to a job you don't enjoy, what do you want to do when you get home? TV?
Ok. How much TV? 1 hour? But that's only one episode. You gotta watch the game too. But you've only got 5 hours left and you still have to eat dinner and spend time with your wife and kids and watch the news and try to squeeze in some time for yourself but by then you're so tired it's gonna be a lazy hour rather than a productive one. Damn, where does the time go? And I'm not even including all the in between stuff that takes even more time away. Showering, paying bills, brushing your teeth. Time slips right by. You gotta spend your time wisely.

Eventually you're going to resent your job and resent your responsibilities because you have no time to do the things you like to do. You have money, but you barely have time to enjoy it. That's why niggas usually spend it on home entertainment systems. Cuz they're slaves to their homes so might as well make it extra comfortable, right? This tends to be what leads to mid life crisis type behavior where nigs suddenly need to buy harley's and all that.

Broken down even further if you still feel like reading

Doing something just for the money sucks. At first you'll love the money. While you're a bachelor you'll enjoy it because it's easy money and you get to ball out and go to vegas and NYC and Miami and blah blah blah, right? Get yourself a nice little whip. Trick out your pad. Ladies love you. It's all good because you have good money and your time is your own.

From here one of 2 things can happen: You decide to stay single or you decide to get married.

In scenario 1 your happiness lasts a bit longer because you're still in control of your own time and money is going only on you. But as time goes on, the job is unfulfilling because you realize that you're giving the majority of your day, your youth, your life, to a job that doesn't make you happy in an industry that take advantage of people. It ain't fun no more. And with your education being so specialized, you're stuck. Where else are you going? Now you're a middle aged single man with job you hate.

Or, you get married. This starts off awesome. I enjoy being a daddy. It's super fulfilling to be selfless with your time. Money ain't even a thing. I enjoy hooking up my girl and the baby. But something will happen to you along the way. You'll notice that you have very limited time and most of it goes toward a job that you're not happy with. The rest of your time goes toward your family. You have no YOU time. This causes resentment, mid life crisis, and typical married folk problem.

The common thing you'll notice is that in each scenario time spent is important. The older you get and the more financially comfortable you get, and the less you have to stress about money, you'll notice your concern is less about dough and more about how you're spending your time. The older you get the more you realize you don't have a lot of time to do everything you want (if you're an ambitious person). Now, how much does the career path of a pharmacist contribute to your dreams? That is, if you have any dreams besides just being a 9-5 person. That's not bad. If you wanna be a 9-5 type, do your thing. Be a pharmacist. But you'll likely land in the common pitfalls that has niggas buying harleys and arguing with their wives after hitting a titty bar.

Being a pharmacist is a good job. But, again, is that what you really wanna do? Time is precious and you'll want to use some of it doing what you love. If nothing else, you can use the dough earned to set up your dreams. And if that fails, hey, you're still a pharmacist.

The beauty about being young is being idealistic. Jaded failure resigned adults are the ones who hate idealistic people. But idealistic people are the ones who actually do things with their lives. Now you can spend most of your time just to pay bills and occasionally buy cool toys, or you can live a fulfilling life where you're not a slave to your possessions.

That's my perspective on it.

Brother, that was the deepest shit I've read all year. Amen to everything you said, I can't live a life being a boring ass Accountant or Stockbroker just to have a nice car and a nice house. Reality is we will work half of our living lives, better spend that time doing something I'm passionate about hey?

I wanna move to Alaska and become a Lumberjack now
July 23, 2012 @ 04:44 PM
Wavey_LenZ

I just wanna retire when I'm 50.
July 23, 2012 @ 05:03 PM
damnwitless2

suspended

Well, I'm old so I'm speaking partly from mistakes. I'm blessed with what I have because outside of work I do a few things that I love. So I'm not miserable. But work can feel like it. I work in the world of finance right now. The part of the game I'm in right now is not enjoyable though. I was painted a picture about how I'm gonna help people, but I know the real deal and it's not fun anymore. I recently took some tests to get into the fire department, but I got beat out by the skin of my teeth by a ton of ex military guys who get an automatic 10 point boost to their scores. I was salty at first, but I figure, most of them ain't got much to fall back on and I do, so I'm good. Right now I'm up in the air if I want to get back into selling insurance or financial management where I actually help people rather than protect an employer's bottom line.

In the future I hope to open multiple small businesses to help me fund a couple non profit organizations. With work consuming most of my time, it's difficult to organize this kind of stuff. That's why I urge dudes to commit to your dreams now rather than later.

(sorry if I'm vague about what I do. I just work for a large bank and code of conduct restricts what I can say online. Real talk. One of my boys got canned for a twitter comment. So I gotta be mindful as long as I'm employed.)

All I do is smoke weed, blow lines, and listen to MF DOOM. And rap. http://www.facebook.com/SpacemanNYC

July 23, 2012 @ 05:06 PM
BDKMV

I'm either doing PR work or sports journalism. Decided long ago being happy >>>
July 23, 2012 @ 05:19 PM
dmwalking

Something to consider though.....it's a harder path to choose more often than not. A dude out here I talked to told me about being self employed, "I work harder than I've ever worked. I work longer hours. But I'm happier than I've ever been because I love what I'm doing."

Doing what you love isn't the easy path. So if you're lazy, lack ambition, and just want to pay the bills, then pick your career based on money. But if you're not opposed to working hard, then pursue your dreams and plan B the hell out of your life. You love to make music? Pursue that. Can't get a break solo? Try to be a songwriter. Producer. A&R. Basically, figure out what else you can do that involves what you love.

I don't know it all. I'm learning as I go along and sharing info as I learn it. It won't work for everyone, but it's working for me.

July 23, 2012 @ 05:38 PM
chaobro

^ Truth of all truth. Think about any business owner. Small business, large business, conglomerates, corporations, whatever. How do you think CEOs got there, or the owner of the business reached success?

I sound like a goddamn parent right now, but McDonalds didn't start off with 1000 restaurants. I can guarantee you, if your parents are well off, they didn't start off where they were. Ask your Dad what his first job (maybe after college) was like? Maybe he had a job that was on par with the median salary range and moved up, or maybe he washed cars for a minute to pay the bills until he got a better job. Thing is, life is sort of like a video game. (Probably horrible analogy) The guy who helped create reddit, and sold it for 100+ million started off as a kid interested in programming and entrepreneurship. He took the effort to try and seek out people ahead of him in the field to help him out, and at first failed, but eventually led to a different project (reddit). Lifes a rise and fall, but passion (IMO) is what drives success.

Lot of self made professionals out there, learning is a lifelong process and some shit ive learned along the way
July 23, 2012 @ 06:18 PM
JACOB LACIDAR KOLA

*Quality Thread*

:)

July 23, 2012 @ 06:18 PM
dmwalking

^ Truth of all truth. Think about any business owner. Small business, large business, conglomerates, corporations, whatever. How do you think CEOs got there, or the owner of the business reached success?

I sound like a goddamn parent right now, but McDonalds didn't start off with 1000 restaurants. I can guarantee you, if your parents are well off, they didn't start off where they were. Ask your Dad what his first job (maybe after college) was like? Maybe he had a job that was on par with the median salary range and moved up, or maybe he washed cars for a minute to pay the bills until he got a better job. Thing is, life is sort of like a video game. (Probably horrible analogy) The guy who helped create reddit, and sold it for 100+ million started off as a kid interested in programming and entrepreneurship. He took the effort to try and seek out people ahead of him in the field to help him out, and at first failed, but eventually led to a different project (reddit). Lifes a rise and fall, but passion (IMO) is what drives success.

Lot of self made professionals out there, learning is a lifelong process and some shit ive learned along the way

Great post.

Please login first to reply.