July 9, 2012 @ 03:43 AM
LA_1201

This thread has been very informative,
I see good answers.

taskforce bitch mob nigga

July 9, 2012 @ 08:51 AM
reeser

I really think it is just to try and tell people how much money they have.
Would people really buy brands like Supreme/Bape if they sold $20 t shirts? No.
Most people buy that because they want everyone to know that they just dropped $80 on a t shirt.
July 9, 2012 @ 01:54 PM
beezy2times

Most people buy that because they want everyone to know that they just dropped $80 on a t shirt.

the thing is noone outside of the hypbeast/streetwear community even knows bape/supreme is expensive
July 9, 2012 @ 02:06 PM
DStyles

to boost my self esteem and cope with the fact that I'm ugly and have a small penis. I also stink, short, and suck at every sport and drive an ugly asian car - Anonymous Asian.

DSteezy F. Baby only wears Tommy Hilfiger, Polo, and G-Unit clothing cool

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

July 9, 2012 @ 02:54 PM
PandoCalrissian

The price of the clothes is irrelevant, it's about the fit and the quality, designs and personal preference and some people don't mind spending money on an investment like proper fitting clothing that you're a fan of,

Ya boy likes to look good...

"leather jackets and bape shark hoodies, its a struggle but we make it work"

July 9, 2012 @ 03:07 PM
encore818

supreme t shirts are $30.

The price of the clothes is irrelevant, it's about the fit and the quality, designs and personal preference and some people don't mind spending money on an investment like proper fitting clothing that you're a fan of,

I'm sorry bro but those are all excuses to cover up your real reason, it's ok... you can tell us why you really buy it.

the thing is noone outside of the hypbeast/streetwear community even knows bape/supreme is expensive

both supreme and bape are both popular within the sneaker community as well. It is popular within the music industry/community too. Supreme is well known in the New York and LA skate scene (due to the fact that they have still kept their store as actual skate shops). Bape is fairly well known in Japan. They do more than just make clothes.
July 9, 2012 @ 03:15 PM
Boness

QFT

Most of the people you know won't recognize what are you wearing or what you paid unless they have common interests. I just buy what I like, and have in mind if the design, quality, fitting and personal preferences are present on something I am about to waste more money.
July 9, 2012 @ 03:26 PM
th3kid

Hypebeast, why do we buy expensive clothes?
Is it because most of us are insecure?
Is it because we want to impress society with our appearance instead of our content?
Do we buy expensive clothes because we want to belong to a certain group?

Has nothing to do with insecurity. A vast majority just want attention, or to try and convince others that they live a more lavish life than other people.

It is to impress society, but it's also not to deliberately put down ones individual content, that's a societal issue. People see a person that wears expensive clothes and thinks they're an idiot. That may not always be the case.

Yes. To impress the people of whatever group you belong to.

You can buy "expensive" clothes without being flashy about it. Even brands that use a lot all over print, on a lot things, LV and Gucci specifically, also offer stuff with less or no branding at all, people just choose to buy the flashy shit to impress others.
July 9, 2012 @ 04:00 PM
Moises Arias

i buy expensive stuff just cause i want the item im paying for. The way i see it is I only got one life to live so imma get whatever makes me happy. But I dont buy to impress others cause 1 out of every 200 people i meet is going to know what im wearing anyway. I dont even post fits in the WDYWT cause i dont care about impressing a bunch of 19 year old asians.

My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself.

July 9, 2012 @ 04:36 PM
wehatelondon

suspended

cause ric flair is the champ

instagram-wehatelondon youtube-nicholasmcfly2800

July 9, 2012 @ 04:39 PM
PKdaGod

the things we buy to cover up whats inside *kanye voice* - PK
July 9, 2012 @ 04:42 PM
djFEBREEZE

materialistic status
impress other hypebeast
impress girls
to show people you got money

Strictly

July 9, 2012 @ 04:48 PM
encore818

materialistic status
impress other hypebeast
impress girls

but honestly most people don't know what some things are worth, and girls don't really care about what guys are wearing
July 9, 2012 @ 04:58 PM
djFEBREEZE

materialistic status
impress other hypebeast
impress girls

but honestly most people don't know what some things are worth, and girls don't really care about what guys are wearing

if you're not 21 and into the city nightlife, you'll see why what you wear matters.its a status rank

Strictly

July 9, 2012 @ 05:05 PM
supremeb4nine4

Hypebeast, why do we buy expensive clothes?
Is it because most of us are insecure?
Is it because we want to impress society with our appearance instead of our content?
Do we buy expensive clothes because we want to belong to a certain group?

dunno bout others but my answer is simple, the things i like are made by brands who charge extra, for a reason.

now i say for a reason cuz i love quality items that was well planned and executed and i know all that cost and causes the marked up price i pay for example Junya, when a certain amout of attention to detail goes into something i own it makes me want to pay extra attention to deatils in the things i do. Some brands go ahead and mark up their price and still have shady quailty control and sub-par production that no matter how hyped i stay away from, if u know ur stuff u can easily tell when in person if is high quailty and worth ur money. cheap stuff dont always mean low quality u just have to get what you like and know what your buying.

life

July 9, 2012 @ 05:10 PM
encore818

materialistic status
impress other hypebeast
impress girls

if you're not 21 and into the city nightlife, you'll see why what you wear matters.its a status rank

true, guess I'm not there yet
July 9, 2012 @ 05:11 PM
supremeb4nine4

materialistic status
impress other hypebeast
impress girls

they care bro girls may not actually know what mens fashion brands is hyped but they do care how u execute ur outfit and present urself. it could be cheap gap stuff or expensive LV as long as u make yourself look good and be confident bitches will pay extra attention, just like you paid extra attention on sites like hb when getting the stuff you like

edit: this is only relevant to those of you who buy shit cuz YOU like it

life

July 9, 2012 @ 06:04 PM
christopher.

materialistic status
impress other hypebeast
impress girls
tbh this is it. Also, i like having shit that no one else in my city has, besides a few people. Makes me feel cool knowing that i have something they want but can't have.
July 9, 2012 @ 06:09 PM
Unuffin

To show people I'm rich.

FOLLOW ME @ https://twitter.com/Fhenomenon1

July 9, 2012 @ 06:16 PM
DaPark

To make yourself look good

hb weindis "No wonder drake makes love songs. Seeing all these 10's around toronto. damn. Just gained alot of dislike for my city."

July 9, 2012 @ 06:29 PM
Jay_Bird

And a white man get paid off of all of that

Realest shit I ever seen on this board, period.
July 9, 2012 @ 06:46 PM
Trollinator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kyWDhB_QeI

I want to see the world burn

July 9, 2012 @ 06:53 PM
DREWKKAKE

id say back in the day it would be because all the good clothes were expensive and we want to stunt on other niggas without anybody knowing besides kids on the internet. now all the mens wear looks just like the expensive shit but now everyone knows what the expensive shit looks like when they are being stunted on. game recognize game playerz

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

July 9, 2012 @ 06:56 PM
kingzeek

smh

to answer OP, so I can impress others. IDAS, fuck you. we all need love bitch.

ppl sayin they buy it for themselves... so why do u dress like a hobo when ur home?? and then work hard to look fresh before you step out. motherfucker you do it for others.
July 9, 2012 @ 08:22 PM
Imco0l

cuz there's no point in changing to high end stuff from hobo clothing after waking up, only to stay inside all day and change back to hobo clothing for sleeping.

so ppl do do it for themselves.
July 9, 2012 @ 08:50 PM
domingodean

17000 ferrari

July 9, 2012 @ 09:56 PM
Mr FantastiK

because i can nigga

brvndon.tumblr.com

July 9, 2012 @ 10:13 PM
valleyla

smh

to answer OP, so I can impress others. IDAS, fuck you. we all need love bitch.

ppl sayin they buy it for themselves... so why do u dress like a hobo when ur home?? and then work hard to look fresh before you step out. motherfucker you do it for others.

I dress like a hobo at home for a few reason.

1. I don't want my nice clothes getting dog hair all over them.
2. I don't want to spill food, drink, or get them greasy from food I eat at home
3. I don't want my shit getting wrinkled if I'm just laying on my bed or sitting on the couch all day.

So motherfucker I do it for myself.
July 9, 2012 @ 10:25 PM
PowerCum

i buy expensive clothes cause i got it like dat
(m)illion d(o)llar vision (b)illion dollar ambition
money over bitches bdlat bdlat coolcoolcoolcoolcoolcoolcool
July 9, 2012 @ 10:32 PM
bigmac

You could hunt down and save up for some some real exclusive shit (like a limited edition New Balance drop or some obscure watch) that 199 people will look at and not know shit about it. The 200th person however, will be someone like you that recognises that shit instantly and immediately respects either the grind you must've put in to acquire that piece or will respect you straight up for knowing about that particular product.

Whilst it isn't the sole reason for us all buying expensive shit, that lil ounce of respect from niggas (or bitches) in the know is priceless.

badbitchesandart.tumblr.com

Please login first to reply.