Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
July 9, 2012 @ 01:20 AM
bigshlong

Hypebeast, why do we buy expensive clothes?
Is it because most of us are insecure?
Is it because we want to impress society with our appearance instead of our content?
Do we buy expensive clothes because we want to belong to a certain group?
July 9, 2012 @ 01:24 AM
Lemonz

because we can
July 9, 2012 @ 01:25 AM
guyitsmathew

Is it because we want to impress society with our appearance instead of our content?

http://www.guyitsmathew.net/

July 9, 2012 @ 01:25 AM
rabbitman

ape?

be careful what you pretend to be

July 9, 2012 @ 01:27 AM
EL_Guapo

People have different interests, some dudes like to buy video games before stepping up their wardrobe, some buy drugs before anything, some buy cars and fix em to race pinoys down the highway, some take all the bitches to eat in hopes for pussy, other dudes buy music instruments/equipment... etc.

To each their own, young Jun 2012 member

OC CASANOVA : the only acceptable piercing on a guy is a tongue ring rt Enzoo : if u getting ya tongue pierce u suckin dick male or female

July 9, 2012 @ 01:28 AM
Gilly Suits

People have different interests, some dudes like to buy video games before stepping up their wardrobe, some buy drugs before anything, some buy cars and fix em to race pinoys down the highway, some take all the bitches to eat in hopes for pussy, other dudes buy music instruments/equipment... etc.

This and Music Equipment for me

Culective.com //

July 9, 2012 @ 01:29 AM
Axraexl

This and Music Equipment for me

Run away from the land of Sodom and Gomorrah, the land of the sinking sand

July 9, 2012 @ 01:31 AM
encore818

because we wanna be like other people. VERY few people create their own trends, other people (myself included admittedly) see someone wearing something, say "hey that looks cool", and buy it, regardless of the price. Once we get one thing from an expensive brand, due to human nature, we want more. And this is a virtually never ending cycle.
July 9, 2012 @ 01:33 AM
Trollinator

I want to see the world burn

July 9, 2012 @ 01:33 AM
CShizzle77

I don't think it's the fact that they're expensive, I think everyone here likes to buy hard to find pieces, stuff that you really have to search for not just everyday run of the mill shirts. You can wear something outside, and maybe not a lot of people are going to know exactly what brand you are wearing but to the few that do, they will know just exactly how rare or dope that piece might be, and there's that tacit qualification.

I really enjoy the hunt, but it just so happens that these rare pieces are expensive and drill a hole in my wallet.
July 9, 2012 @ 01:34 AM
valleyla

It's simply because I like clothes. I like to look good in my clothes so I buy clothes I like.

It seems like a lot of people that are into clothes, mainly streetwear, have more content than most other people honestly. They're into a culture that not everyone is in or understands which means they can discuss more than just politics, sports, music, and movies. They have something else to their personality.
July 9, 2012 @ 01:37 AM
encore818

I don't think it's the fact that they're expensive, I think everyone here likes to buy hard to find pieces, stuff that you really have to search for not just everyday run of the mill shirts. You can wear something outside, and maybe not a lot of people are going to know exactly what brand you are wearing but to the few that do, they will know just exactly how rare or dope that piece might be, and there's that tacit qualification.

But it just so happens that these rare pieces are expensive and drill a hole in my wallet.

this.

the fact that we are part of this HB community creates the illusion that everyone knows what supreme is, or bape is. The fact is that most people don't. A rizzoli box logo tee may be the absolute coolest thing in the world to you and your SS friends. But in the real world, you're just a dumbass that spent $200 on a tee shirt with a 4 inch graphic screenprinted on it. The point is, because we are part of these forums, we think the whole world will appreciate the gorilla on your tee shirt you just spent $70 on. When realistically, no one knows what the fuck it is.
July 9, 2012 @ 01:39 AM
Arsenic Coffee

If I think that I look good, I'll feel good.
Brand names just come with the fact that you look good.
You could wear everything the GAP and still look good.
I feel that more expensive brands generally look better.
And I never wear clothing for the logo (IE: big OBEY tees.)

I got bored and changed my name. USED TO BE willnellis.

July 9, 2012 @ 01:40 AM
guyitsmathew

It's simply because I like clothes. I like to look good in my clothes so I buy clothes I like.

It seems like a lot of people that are into clothes, mainly streetwear, have more content than most other people honestly. They're into a culture that not everyone is in or understands which means they can discuss more than just politics, sports, music, and movies. They have something else to their personality.

http://www.guyitsmathew.net/

July 9, 2012 @ 01:53 AM
Jay_Bird

I use to

Now I cop cheap graphic tees from eBay amazon and thrift stores
July 9, 2012 @ 01:58 AM
Whoadie

We'll buy a lot of clothes when we don't really need em, Things we buy to cover up what's inside
July 9, 2012 @ 02:02 AM
CShizzle77

Cause they make us hate ourself and love they wealth. That's why shortys hollering "where the ballas' at?"
July 9, 2012 @ 02:10 AM
SFCA

drug dealer buy jordans, crackhead buy crack

Cigarettes, Ice Cream and Figurines of the Virgin Mary http://www.last.fm/user/actsyalawlz

July 9, 2012 @ 02:14 AM
jgrand03

And a white man get paid off of all of that
July 9, 2012 @ 02:16 AM
bigshlong

This thread has been very informative,
I see good answers.
July 9, 2012 @ 02:17 AM
Kamikaze

because we like the way they look on ourselves
July 9, 2012 @ 02:26 AM
REVS

because we wanna be like other people. VERY few people create their own trends, other people (myself included admittedly) see someone wearing something, say "hey that looks cool", and buy it, regardless of the price. Once we get one thing from an expensive brand, due to human nature, we want more. And this is a virtually never ending cycle.

I think this is 100% true. Although most people don't want to admit it. Alot of it is due to product placement, seeing it, and then wanting it.

I prefer carcinogens to endorphins.

July 9, 2012 @ 02:42 AM
Trespace

I think a lot of people buy expensive clothes out of the desire to be different. I was talking with a friend of mine a ways back and he said he liked streetwear because he liked the idea of exclusivity and knowing that if lets say a 200 piece item dropped and he bought it, he liked knowing that only he and 199 others have it. Thats basically a thriving tactic for brands to create artificial shortages of their product, increasing demand and decreasing supply. As for high end brands like LV and such, i dont think they need that pitch because they can sell based on the history of the brand, its celebrity consumers(which also help in streetwear), and their high prices already make it exclusive enough for the wealthy.
July 9, 2012 @ 02:43 AM
DarianaGrande

I use to

Now I cop cheap graphic tees from eBay amazon and thrift stores

This.

http://soundcloud.com/anonymousnigger

July 9, 2012 @ 02:48 AM
paulywalnuts

beacuse im a model and i get all my clothes for free so i can be a walking advertisement for exclusive fashion houses

i master bait from time to time/// WTB: anti hero/sup jersey...medium... white>black>kelly

July 9, 2012 @ 02:59 AM
Moises Arias

supreme aint expensive my nigga.

My name is ASAC Schrader, and you can go fuck yourself.

July 9, 2012 @ 03:06 AM
kr00kd

because we can

http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/166901/

July 9, 2012 @ 03:07 AM
encore818

supreme aint expensive my nigga.

Supreme is one of the most expensive brand that aren't under the label of "high end fashion" (louis vuitton, gucci, givency). The same goes with bape.
July 9, 2012 @ 03:12 AM
No Fuxx Given

I really enjoy the hunt, but it just so happens that these rare pieces are expensive and drill a hole in my wallet.

QFT

Fly on little wing

July 9, 2012 @ 03:28 AM
frizurd

I think a lot of people buy expensive clothes out of the desire to be different. I was talking with a friend of mine a ways back and he said he liked streetwear because he liked the idea of exclusivity and knowing that if lets say a 200 piece item dropped and he bought it, he liked knowing that only he and 199 others have it. Thats basically a thriving tactic for brands to create artificial shortages of their product, increasing demand and decreasing supply. As for high end brands like LV and such, i dont think they need that pitch because they can sell based on the history of the brand, its celebrity consumers(which also help in streetwear), and their high prices already make it exclusive enough for the wealthy.

It doesn't always have to be expensive
you can also buy amazing pieces of clothing from your local boutique/brand for half the price.
I personally think that most people buy "expensive" clothing just for the name.
You can really "look" different and buy the same (and/or better) type of clothing for half the price if you do some digging

http://thatfix.com/ -- Your daily hip-hop & electronic music fix.

Please login first to reply.