SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
April 14, 2012 @ 09:50 AM
thrillmatic

Being a history teacher is such a cool job. Like, you can control how your students think by using history as an example. You can make them into racists.

My 11th grade AP U.S. History teacher used to throw all sorts of right-wing bullshit at us, like how Booker T. Washington had better plans for blacks than DuBois, and how affirmative action is unjustified in all cases. All of the students would take glances in my direction (I was the only black kid in class). I shoul've just claimed "that's racist" at one of the many things he said that weren't PC then threaten to talk with the school administration, just to punk him.

My 12th grade AP English teacher once told the entire class that MLK was a philanderer and a Communist and a lot of the students looked at me again, then back at him with these somewhat appalled facial expressions. Not me though...I learned "The Truth About MLK" months earlier...

"End the hate, separate!

But responding to the OP, just follow your passion. There are consequences to making money the primary ends that justify the means. I plan to be very rich, but I'll be training for my practice until I'm 35 at the earliest. Would you want half of your life gone just for a few extra hundreds of thousands of income each year?

"Rap in 2012 is basically just a mad dash for people of EVERY human subset to be represented by a rapper." - damnwitless1

April 14, 2012 @ 02:01 PM
HYPELO

Keep in mind that vocational jobs can't be outsourced. Even accounting may start to get outsourced because the same thing is taught worldwide.
April 14, 2012 @ 02:30 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

First of all, you must have fucked up somewhere. I graduated HS with a 2.7 GPA and a 1710 on my SATs. I still got into all three colleges I applied to. Granted they were all just state schools. I still dropped out because I hated it.

Depending on what you want to do trade wise, trade schools are a waste of money. If you want to become an electrician, pipe fitter, carpenter, painter, sheet metal worker or mason you are better off finding a local union and applying through them. Trade schools can cost around $20,000 for a program, but through the union schooling is free. The pay is also way better through a union. I'm a telecom apprentice through IBEW and our pay rate is $29/hr right now -- plus pension, annuity and health insurance. Non union is about $18/hr.

I highly suggest looking into either IBEW or the pipe fitters union. Electrician rate around here is $32.50/hr and I live in a small city. Somewhere like Boston is $44/hr. You'll never be rich, but I know a lot of electricians who make over $150,000 a year because of all the side work they can do. The pipe fitters are having a hard time right now finding apprentices to replace the journeyman who are retiring so now is a good time to apply. Their rate around here is $33/hr. Its all industrial work on new buildings so its not like a plumber where you're dealing with shitty (literally) toilets all day.

If you have any questions about IBEW or trade unions in general lemme know.
April 14, 2012 @ 02:57 PM
backlikethat

First of all, you must have fucked up somewhere. I graduated HS with a 2.7 GPA and a 1710 on my SATs. I still got into all three colleges I applied to. Granted they were all just state schools. I still dropped out because I hated it.

Depending on what you want to do trade wise, trade schools are a waste of money. If you want to become an electrician, pipe fitter, carpenter, painter, sheet metal worker or mason you are better off finding a local union and applying through them. Trade schools can cost around $20,000 for a program, but through the union schooling is free. The pay is also way better through a union. I'm a telecom apprentice through IBEW and our pay rate is $29/hr right now -- plus pension, annuity and health insurance. Non union is about $18/hr.

I highly suggest looking into either IBEW or the pipe fitters union. Electrician rate around here is $32.50/hr and I live in a small city. Somewhere like Boston is $44/hr. You'll never be rich, but I know a lot of electricians who make over $150,000 a year because of all the side work they can do. The pipe fitters are having a hard time right now finding apprentices to replace the journeyman who are retiring so now is a good time to apply. Their rate around here is $33/hr. Its all industrial work on new buildings so its not like a plumber where you're dealing with shitty (literally) toilets all day.

When did you graduate? College is getting tougher not to mention that UMD is also Top 50 school
and one of the most top Business school. If i remember correctly, their avg. GPA rose to a 4.0 this year
and avg SAT was 1800.

Also, after reading what you wrote, i might have to consider it. How's the labor though? And how much does
the trade school teach you? And im def. not considering a electrician. I dont wanna get my face fried... too dangerous.
April 14, 2012 @ 03:04 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Haha, I feel you. I do low voltage work so I don't have to worry about that. Internet, phones, security camera, etc. What do you mean about labor? I had a desk job for a few years and I hated it. My blue collar ass is used to manual labor so I can't really comment on it. It can be tiring doing long cable pulls and you're on your feet 40 hours a week, but its not like I'm running marathons here. If you're not a frail bitch it won't be a problem. I have an 18 year old girl in my class and she handles the work just fine.
April 14, 2012 @ 03:38 PM
Soul Rize

ma du don't wait a year to go to cc. i say do what i did and get a loan to pay for that community college like i did. i can't get any grants and shit cuz my parents make way to much but fkin half a mill in debt which is bs so basicly i'm just getting hoed left and right . i say get a part time job and focus on school and do what u can. but you need financial aid to make it though.

Cmon get down with a real nigga wussup

April 14, 2012 @ 07:12 PM

Inactive

smfh did this dumb ass nikka turned mod let it get to his head?

going to a trade school is the beset thing you can do in this economy right now.

and lol @ him thinking he could take physics if he couldnt even get into a uni

become an electrician. the lowest job i think its called apprentice man makes around 20 an hour
April 14, 2012 @ 07:12 PM
Specification

name one rich person who got rich in school. did bill gates create computers with his school? naw he did it at his house n shit. same with mark zuckerberg and dat fool tom from myspace, they aint teach u how to make dat real money in school

PLEASE do not take advice from this man. Bill Gates went to Harvard and Mark Zuckerberg did too. They "dropped" out because they were to busy for school, it was holding them back. They didn't start a business first, they went to SCHOOL first.
April 14, 2012 @ 07:21 PM
backlikethat

smfh did this dumb ass nikka turned mod let it get to his head?

going to a trade school is the beset thing you can do in this economy right now.

and lol @ him thinking he could take physics if he couldnt even get into a uni

become an electrician. the lowest job i think its called apprentice man makes around 20 an hour

I don't think you understand. I don't wanna have a career that I wont enjoy.
Not only that, yes these jobs pay well, but you sacrifice your body for them.

You're only looking at a fraction of the picture.
April 14, 2012 @ 07:53 PM
A!exander

Why didn't you apply to UMES? Frostburg, Mason, Howard, Morgan... etc Whole bunch of other schools around the area. 3.1 is decent Gpa coming out of HS.
April 14, 2012 @ 08:02 PM
mrbarky

Just go to community college for a year and then transfer. It's a lot easier to get into colleges as a transfer student.
April 14, 2012 @ 08:17 PM
Black Donald Trump

whered you apply? seems like you could definately get into some state school with a 3.1 and a 1600. i had like a 2.9 and a 1960 sat and got in everywhere i applied, maybe you should just retake the sat or something
April 14, 2012 @ 08:25 PM
Black Donald Trump

i have questions, like how exactly can i make 150k doing electrician work? im starting to think about trying some kind of trade job cause im not tryin to sit a desk id rather do blue collar work
April 14, 2012 @ 08:28 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

A lot of electricians I know do tons of side work on their own on the weekends. You can make bank off doing side work at people's houses because you're working for yourself so you get all the profit.
April 14, 2012 @ 08:33 PM
Black Donald Trump

k so how do i go about getting trained and how long does it take and what is job placement like, or is this all stuff i could just find on the ibew website
April 14, 2012 @ 08:40 PM
expo8000

name one rich person who got rich in school. did bill gates create computers with his school? naw he did it at his house n shit. same with mark zuckerberg and dat fool tom from myspace, they aint teach u how to make dat real money in school

lol @ this dumbass 16 year old, the fuck do you know about money?

all i kno iz dat i git it, faggot

i can't stop laughing at your original response, i feel sorry for you..

shut up and get money faggot
April 14, 2012 @ 08:40 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

School is 5 years and 8,000 on the job hours I believe. Your best bet is to Google your city's IBEW local, call the hall and inquire about joining the apprentice program. You'll have the pass the test and interview to get selected though.
April 14, 2012 @ 08:45 PM
backlikethat

You're a telecom apprentice so im assuming there's no real danger to your job compared to electricians
correct?
April 14, 2012 @ 08:45 PM
expo8000

lol @ this dumbass 16 year old, the fuck do you know about money?

all i kno iz dat i git it, faggot

i can't stop laughing at your original response, i feel sorry for you..

shut up and get money faggot
April 14, 2012 @ 08:46 PM
Black Donald Trump

damn so like 7 years ish total? you get paid for those 8,000 on job hours? how much does school cost or is it free throught the union
April 14, 2012 @ 08:49 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

School is only one class twice a week with summers off so its not too bad. And its free. You start off at 50% of journeymen rate and get a 5% raise every 1,000 hours you work up until 75%. After that you are at 75% until you complete 8,000 on the job hours, the 5 years of school and pass the electrical license test.
April 14, 2012 @ 08:53 PM
Black Donald Trump

cool so you can do the on job hours and schooling at the same time then i assume?
April 14, 2012 @ 09:00 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

Yeah, I suppose. The way IBEW works is that all the available workers are put on a list. There is a list for journeyman and a list for apprentices. When a contractor contacts the hall and says they need X amount of people to work, the top X number of people on the list go to work. When the contractor doesn't need them anymore or the project ends, they get laid off and go back to the bottom of the list. For example, in my low voltage program there are only 5 apprentices (regular inside wiremen have a lot more apprentices, around 100). I spent 9 months working on a new hospital downtown for a contractor from Boston. Towards the end of the job, work was slowing down so I got laid off. I've been laid off since the end of January. A couple apprentices are still working for other companies at the moment and a couple got laid off from jobs after me, so currently I am #1 on the list. As soon as a contractor calls the hall and says they need one telecom apprentice I'll be going out to work. Work in the electrical field tends to slow down during the winter, so there's always a good chance you'll be out of work for a couple months at a time. You can collect unemployment so its not the end of the world.
April 14, 2012 @ 09:03 PM
Black Donald Trump

cool so all in all how long would you say it takes on average from starting school till youre totally certified and everything

and do you have any pointers on what specializations to go for? low voltage etc. i have some experience with video shooting and editing which i saw might be useful on the website
April 14, 2012 @ 09:05 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

About 5 years. If you work year round its about 2,000 hours, so you could theoretically get all your work hours done in 4 or 5 years.
April 14, 2012 @ 09:09 PM
Black Donald Trump

cool thanks man
April 14, 2012 @ 09:22 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

dont waste your youth on some trade school. u have ur whole life to work. go to a university.

Please login first to reply.