Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
February 5, 2012 @ 05:09 PM
Black Donald Trump

Im currently in art school but have been thinking about switching to study psychology.
i still love art and all, but at the end of the day, if you wanna be an artist you need other work as well, and i figure id probably rather do something meaningful or useful to society such as child psychology or something like that than work some random lowlevel job. also i assume the money would be much better

so my questions are:

what undergrad do you do?is it possible to get into a grad program for psychology with a bachelor of fine arts or do i need to switch or double major?and if so what do i switch to? bs in psychology?pre med?

i'm smart but really was not a very good student in highschool, because i anted to go to school for art and spent more time on that, so i got like a 2.9 gpa, 2000 on my sat without a whole lot of preparation. also, my college does not give letter grades, so that probably kind of fucks me over transfer wise. what do you think my chances might be of getting into a decent school? honestly if i transfer i think i might just go to the state school back home, university of cincinnati, its decent but not top notch, and just get straight a's there. would that put me in decent position for a better grad school? does the school you go to even really matter that much?

how much schooling does becoming a psychologist require? masters or phd, or does it vary

i think id probably like to do a private practice type deal, although i feel like that would probably require more schooling/ startup money / work experience?
February 5, 2012 @ 06:17 PM
BuddyOmar

Take Psych and see if you like it. I took it as an AP class in high school and fucking despised it. I'd rather jerk off to pictures of Big Pun's corpse than take that class again. Then again, I had a terrible fucking teacher who hated me. FUCK THAT NIGGA DOE.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBuddyOmar?feature=mhee |||||||||||||| Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/buddy_omar

February 5, 2012 @ 06:40 PM
Black Donald Trump

ya i took it in highschool, it was alright, i felt like i would of liked it more if it wasn't so general and i had a better teacher/ went more in depth with stuff. i can deal with school being tough so long as the actual work will be fulfilling afterward
February 5, 2012 @ 07:00 PM
appleyard

its boring as hell but go for it
February 5, 2012 @ 07:04 PM
Black Donald Trump

are you in it?

im thinking maybe i dont want to do psychology so much as some sort of social work. what do you gotta do to work for like a non-profit or some shit?
i think at the root of it, im just kind of losing interest in everything and i just want to do something worthwhile and good for the world. i find cognitive process interesting but it sounds like that doesn't necessarily mean i wanna become a psychologist
February 5, 2012 @ 07:12 PM
jafeel

2.9 gpa but 2000 sat...Did you not give a fuck or what happened?

My teacher has a master from UC Berkley and teaches HS IB psych, but her brother, same school, has a phd and is balling at John Hopkins
February 5, 2012 @ 07:13 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

I'm interested in what goes through someones mind when they decide to become an art major. Do people actually think spending all their energy, time in school and tuition money majoring in art will benefit them? Do they expect to get a job after graduation and make a living off of an art degree?
February 5, 2012 @ 07:26 PM
kmz

u will most likely need a psy.d after if u want to do clinical
just keep that in mind

if u want to make real money go to med school and be a psychiatrist so u can prescribe and not have to listen to shitty people all day (as much)
February 5, 2012 @ 07:52 PM

Inactive

Being a psychologist is the most pathetic thing you can be. If you really want to work in that field, become a doctor, and become a psychiatrist.
February 5, 2012 @ 08:04 PM
Homes

these seem like the perfect questions to ask an adviser... does your school not have those?
February 5, 2012 @ 08:12 PM
WCDon

Im taking Psych AP rite now in hs. Its chill as fuck but I can see how it can be a boring ass subject if you have a crap teacher. I would not want to take Psychology further in college or watever.

THIS CANDYLAND NIGGA

February 5, 2012 @ 09:44 PM
WPGMB

Yea I just finished a ap psych course and I'm taking the first year university exam at the end of this semester. so I can take second year psychology in my first year. not 100% sure I even wanna be a psychologist but fuck it we'll see.
February 5, 2012 @ 09:55 PM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

First thing you need to know is that psychology is an extremely competitive field. According to one professor I had it can be just as hard to get into psych grad programs as it is to get into med school. This is because there's TONS of undergrad psych majors graduating every year and there's nothing you can do with a bachelor's. Grad school is a must.

I also noticed that a lot of people don't realize that psychology is a research field. Even if you don't work on the research side of things, you're still going to be taking statistics classes and research methods. Take that into account if you struggle in math and science. Psychology is a social science.

Also keep in mind the time it takes to become a psychologist. Typically 4-7 years of post-grad training. Some people end up doing a period of post doctorate work as well.

Honestly, unless you really are passionate about being a psychologist I agree with what other people said and recommend you go to medical school instead.

Of course, you can just get a master's degree in psychology or counseling. I imagine there's a huge amount of people with this type of degree walking around as it doesn't take the time/commitment a doctorate would. It might be hard to find a job. This is probably the route you should probably take if you want to be a social worker, though. Your income will however, be limited. So don't do it for the money.
February 5, 2012 @ 10:28 PM
Jamie Dimon

dat dgaf lifestyle, feels good until you realize you done fucked up
2.7 gpa in HS and a 2240 SAT
regret that a lot now but all the state colleges and most of the private colleges i applied to still took me cool

My garbage can eats better than 99% of the world.

February 5, 2012 @ 10:56 PM
Black Donald Trump

I'm interested in what goes through someones mind when they decide to become an art major. Do people actually think spending all their energy, time in school and tuition money majoring in art will benefit them? Do they expect to get a job after graduation and make a living off of an art degree?

ya well if youre looking to make a ton of money then no a fine arts degree is not for you
some get jobs in design, teaching, curating, publications, etc. a lot get jobs outside of art or become entrepreneurs, some try to be fine artists, although it is very difficult to support yourself purely on fine art, so they get other jobs too. i wouldn't mind getting a mfa and becoming a professor and split time between that, freelance graphic/web design and motion graphics, as well as my own fine arts practice.
art school probably isn't what you think it is, its similar to a liberal arts degree, a perspective for approaching life. its hard to get a "job" with an arts degree, but you can find ways to support yourself. its more like creating your own job rather than applying for them. you can actually learn a lot of useful stuff, especially internet related, but the whole perception of an arts degree as being worthless is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy when it comes to getting an actual job.

some people think you can be happy without making a lot of money. i would not personally be where i am if i had not gotten a scholarship that made it cheaper to go here than my local state university, and i don't have a problem with the school or a career in the arts although art school tuition is generally ridiculous.
the money isn't the main concern for me in investigating other fields, it's more that i've been thinking a lot about how art really has little societal value and i might like to do something more. psychology seemed interesting, particularly early childhood development, but maybe im looking for something else.

My teacher has a master from UC Berkley and teaches HS IB psych, but her brother, same school, has a phd and is balling at John Hopkins

ya i mean basically i had always wanted to do art so i spent my time doing that/other things rather than studying for classes i thought were pointless or boring.
February 5, 2012 @ 11:02 PM
Black Donald Trump

these seem like the perfect questions to ask an adviser... does your school not have those?

i go to art school so my advisor is a practicing artist and probably would be less help than someone on here practicing or studying psychology
February 5, 2012 @ 11:03 PM
slap

minor in biology, and you can learn about the biological processes, and what goes on in the brain.
it's a scientific way of studying the abstract field of psychology.

$81 selvedge denim: https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/4200 Karmaloop/Plndr Rep: SLAP20.

February 6, 2012 @ 12:04 AM
backlikethat

I know that a BA in psych. is useless but will a BA in economics be useless too since
it's also a social science?
February 6, 2012 @ 01:09 AM
appleyard

I know that a BA in psych. is useless but will a BA in economics be useless too since
it's also a social science?

get a BS in economics
February 6, 2012 @ 01:42 AM
vanitas

lmao that was exactly me last year... always got weird ass looks from my counselors whenever I showed them my scores. I'm taking AP Psych right now, it's really interesting but fucking hard
February 6, 2012 @ 03:15 PM
Hey, it is just me

Honestly, I was a psych major and dropped the major. It was not because the major is difficult or anything like that (I would say its pretty easy actually) 4.00 gpa in psych (I got to Brooklyn College-CUNY). It is a cool field to study but the whole fact that most of the learning you do in psych is from textbooks and I prefer primary sources for learning instead of a textbook; therefore I enjoy the actually written works of sigmund freud, carl jung, and others but you really don't read their actual stuff you just read textbooks about their works and I personally despise that. Also I have run psych experiments on rats this fall and I didn't enjoy that either. It really wasn't me or what I want to do. So keep that in mind also psych is such a broad field that there are so many different sections and parts of psych.

http://che-thepoeticdiaryofacollegekid.blogspot.com/

February 6, 2012 @ 05:21 PM
YungBrooklyn

Im a 3rd year psych major and this has been what Ive realized so far. A 4 yr bachelors in psych will most likley net you a shitty job so you will need to go get your masters and get into grad school which requires taking the GRE's. Personally Im going the pre-med route, just make sure you are actually willing to go to grad school if you want to be a psych major because there isint much to do with just a bachelors. You will also have to do a lot of research, experience with research and experiments bodes well for an application. All in all its a semi easy major but you just have to stick with it until grad school because thats when you will start seeing better career opportunities.
February 7, 2012 @ 03:43 AM
kushburner

The ex was a psych major. You wont make real money unless you get a PhD. A masters in psych is not worth it unless you continue with a PhD. It will be hard to get into a decent grad school with a 2.9.

Still better than art though i suppose
February 7, 2012 @ 07:31 AM
jamestapoz

Im currently in art school but have been thinking about switching to study psychology.
i still love art and all, but at the end of the day, if you wanna be an artist you need other work as well, and i figure id probably rather do something meaningful or useful to society such as child psychology or something like that than work some random lowlevel job. also i assume the money would be much better

so my questions are:

what undergrad do you do?is it possible to get into a grad program for psychology with a bachelor of fine arts or do i need to switch or double major?and if so what do i switch to? bs in psychology?pre med?

i'm smart but really was not a very good student in highschool, because i anted to go to school for art and spent more time on that, so i got like a 2.9 gpa, 2000 on my sat without a whole lot of preparation. also, my college does not give letter grades, so that probably kind of fucks me over transfer wise. what do you think my chances might be of getting into a decent school? honestly if i transfer i think i might just go to the state school back home, university of cincinnati, its decent but not top notch, and just get straight a's there. would that put me in decent position for a better grad school? does the school you go to even really matter that much?

how much schooling does becoming a psychologist require? masters or phd, or does it vary

i think id probably like to do a private practice type deal, although i feel like that would probably require more schooling/ startup money / work experience?

I graduated last year and received my BA in Psychology, emphasis in cognition. Right now i'm trying to earn my masters. With a BA i got a job as a direct interventionist therapist for special needs children, basically using BF Skinners principles of reinforcement (ABA). To earn 50k+ you need a masters degree. You can find entre level jobs with a BA, but its very competitive.

If you have a Masters or PHD, your good.

Psychology is broken down into two fields. You can do research or go clinical. Research is what your professors do, they run studies and teach. You go private sector and your doing stat analysis all day.

The other route is clinical. The majority of people who go this route are MFTs (marriage and family therapists) (MA/MS). MFTs are your therapists who work on the client's problems, drug addiction, marriage problems, anger reduction, etc.

Hope that helps.
February 8, 2012 @ 01:44 AM
777ichael

I'm working on my BA in Human Services and I currently see both a licensed mental health counselor as well as a psychiatrist. Personally, I'm interested in psychotherapy and existentialism, and I feel like although "human services" is the closest program my school has to offer, it is not the basis of which I want to make a career out of.

follow me on instagram bluntfetish

February 8, 2012 @ 04:26 AM
joeschott

I took AP in high school got a 5 on the exam, majored in it in college and now i'm getting jobs based off of tumblr blogs i've made. Psych is completely useless unless you're going to grad school and it's also completely useless if you hated the psych stats class you have to take to major in it.

Owner/Creator: nopeclothing.com / fypblog.com

February 8, 2012 @ 10:30 PM
jamestapoz

I took AP in high school got a 5 on the exam, majored in it in college and now i'm getting jobs based off of tumblr blogs i've made. Psych is completely useless unless you're going to grad school and it's also completely useless if you hated the psych stats class you have to take to major in it.

this
February 9, 2012 @ 12:20 AM
Black Donald Trump

thanks errybody, im stickin with art ftw!!

Please login first to reply.