FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (48 HOURS ONLY)
January 29, 2012 @ 04:26 AM
dmwalking

It all boils down to one thing- Streetwear should be the clothes of the culture, NOT the culture of the clothes. Now it's gotten to be the latter rather than the former.

Good quote.

Last name Ever, first name Worst Mod

January 29, 2012 @ 04:49 AM

Inactive

to me streetwear is wear what you like eith your style without giving a fuck about other's people thoughts. that's what I do .... who cares about pinoids and tumblr

Ahh bella,,, Why would she care about what a bunch of teenagers think of her..
January 29, 2012 @ 05:00 AM
maxthemaxster

URBAN OUTFITTERS killed streetwear.
January 29, 2012 @ 05:41 PM
DREWKKAKE

lol UO did nothing but offer a place for lame ass kids to find clothes that looks like streetwear

Forum Administrator • @DREWKKAKE

February 2, 2012 @ 04:12 AM
Metatron

what has actually "killed" streetwear is actually...

- opening of more shops. in 2006 there was not one streetwear store in DC. then commonwealth and major dc came the following year. before then the closest streetwear stores were 30-40 miles away in the middle of nowhere.
- wider distribution of brands. when brands started being sold in stores like up against the wall in malls across america, i knew something was up.
-the internet. sites like this spread shine on what would otherwise be unknown brands. wdywt threads give people inspiration. e-commerce gives peeps the means to purchase things without having to travel.

but whatever. streetwear isnt actually dead. just keep doin you and stop worryin about what the next dudes wearing.

Instagram: @realronjunior

February 9, 2012 @ 02:30 AM
ribshack

What killed strreetwear were STREETWEAR brands becoming commercial brands to the public & put into stores like Active. That's great for the owner of the company to put extra cash in his pocket & I'm nobody to knock ones hustle but that's not what I would consider STREETWEAR. STREETWEAR is a brand that keeps it gutta & exclusive instead of selling to big stores. But who am I to talk. I've never been through there struggle to become popular but when they become popular still keep it like a secret. So I can't knock brands like The Hundreds.
February 10, 2012 @ 03:58 AM
DARKLEE º

^nah son

When kids see shit on their feed, it is never nothing specific. While I'm sure they will go cop the new obey from zumiez because they saw a dope ass shirt they want.. It is more that they see sort of the whole streetwear aesthetic. It put shit that WE like in the minds of regular ass little niggas. Therefore making the children of the world want to start dressing like that. In turn it changed the whole market and made all brands want to look a certain way and produce certain clothes. Tumblr is what is making lame brands look like streetwear. It is what we should blame for "mall streetwear"

and that is some of the realest shit I ever wrote my nigga 4real

i think that's what peeves us the most.

@niftyneek | baadhabits.tumblr.com | nikodarklee.tumblr.com | soundcloud.com/nikodarklee

February 29, 2012 @ 06:25 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

The situation doesn't seem as dire here in the UK as in the US. Although people are jumping on Snapbacks and other trends crazily. I just don't understand why people follow trends so crazily, call it being a hipster to try and be different but i dunno, i appreciate the person who atleast tries something different over the person that follows trends like a sheep
February 29, 2012 @ 06:25 PM
ThaGoldenBoy

Too much talk of 'Schwag' everywhere
July 16, 2012 @ 09:05 PM
dunceanddreamer

To me it feels like "Streetwear" is following the same lifecycle of Hip Hop, by that I mean that Hip Hop now horribly diluted when every bastard is wanting to do a track with David Fucking Guetta or some other cheesy fuck (pit bull anyoneconfused. The questions I'm interested in are:

1.What is "Streetwear" nowadays? - We live in a world where dance music is hip hop and vice versa, phones are cameras and cameras are phones theres amalgamation and convergence happening all over the place, it feels like everything has expanded to quickly because of the internet and technology generally that the quality has suffered.

I could start a business right now if I wanted in like half an hour. Everything is so instant, which is good but also creates a superficial, throwaway attitude.

2. What is selling out? - Just like music, there's gotta be pioneers, if I was Bobby Hundreds i'd have wanted to expand my company,thats not a bad thing, why don't we want people to go on and be millionaires and whatnot? I think its the natural course of things and by brands like Obey and supreme being available in department stores means it leaves a space for other new and exciting brands to come in and take over. The recession was great for that, some Charles Darwin survival of the fittest shit, it eliminated loads of weak companies and the ones who had strong product and ran their companies well survived and also created space for new companies. The problem we have though is that its too easy to start a clothing brand, (see point one). I could get a website, shirts printed and tagged and ready to sell by the weekend if i wanted. Yes they will be fucking shit, but id have a viable product. So let the 14 year old kids have the other brands, start enjoying the process of unearthing new brands supporting new artists, new musicians.

Everyone's become so lazy (both consumers and clothing company owners), and its so easy to sit in front a computer and start a "clothing company" but only as easy as it is to sit an moan about it. If both parties invest some time and energy into discovering each other mutually (like the old days) then that would maybe be a solution? I dunno.

Waking up & Dreaming. www.facebook.com/DunceandDreamer @dunceanddreamer

July 16, 2012 @ 11:39 PM
RAREakuma

Tumblr didn't kill streetwear. The internet killed streetwear. Well, the internet killed the exclusivity of streetwear. Remember when you had to actually go down to SoHo to get Bape or hop over to Spring Street to hit up Union to find some exclusive Japanese brand that NOBODY in the United States was carrying. Remember walking up Prince Street and walking into Kid Robot and knowing you could find something that the kids who were clueless couldn't get at Urban Outfitters? I remember when Supreme NYC was the only Supreme, when you had to go to Stussy on Wooster to get good Stussy stuff and Head Porter luggage and accessories. When you wanted to step your game up you walked over to Nom De Guerre. I'm a NYC kid so that is MY experience so I can't speak for everybody but it was fun back then having to roam the city to search for something cool. Now kids si back with a MacBook and a credit card and yell "SWAG." No experience, no sense of adventure, no will to go out and search. Nobody gets to know their shop workers to find out when the next drop is. I mean as crazy as it was I loved almost getting killed on the Lower East Side trying to cop the Pigeon Dunks. Going over to Orchard and Ludlow to Triple Five Soul and Reed Space and Alife and Rivington. Now I just shake my head at all of the internet kids who sit home and wait for the UPS guy to bring them their swag. The only place they seem to explore is the mall running into Hollister, Zumiez, and Foot Locker. Me? I'd rather save up to at least go explore London, actually go to Colette in Paris, see the crazy shit in Tokyo. Get off of here sometimes and go see the world, you might even start to understand how to build and create your own swag. I understand I'm saying all of this on HYPEBEAST and I might even get hated on for it but its the internet and thats just the way it goes. I'd love to create my own place for people who sometimes want to get away from the Hype but who would actually drop by and listen? Well, it can't hurt to try and if even one person comes by to listen to what I have to say and feels like I feel then I've made a connection. Kids, have fun with it, grown folks, do better and hope one day those kids will grow up and "get it." Peace.

Hmm... thanks.

Skinny as a fuck, still eatin' the food. http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/177620/

July 17, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

Inactive

Yo like some of the peices on this guys outift is fire.

The Funeral Blvck Scvle Cap

The Ray Ban Club Masters

Them Dope ass Charlie Loubooutin Wannabe Shoes

But man why do Pinoys destroy everythign they wear. It looks like shit on this guy. Pinoys dont know how to properly rock clothing this is why they destroy it. They only cop hype shit and look like shit in it. Looking at this ugly ass muppet frog looking pinoy I dont want even rock clothing again these mongaliod pinoy ass nigga keep ruining clothing
July 17, 2012 @ 01:56 AM
"MERCY"

Yo like some of the peices on this guys outift is fire.

The Funeral Blvck Scvle Cap

The Ray Ban Club Masters

Them Dope ass Charlie Loubooutin Wannabe Shoes

But man why do Pinoys destroy everythign they wear. It looks like shit on this guy. Pinoys dont know how to properly rock clothing this is why they destroy it. They only cop hype shit and look like shit in it. Looking at this ugly ass muppet frog looking pinoy I dont want even rock clothing again these mongaliod pinoy ass nigga keep ruining clothing

man, you are reaching to be funny
July 17, 2012 @ 02:50 AM
Black Dave

I'm not gonna act like some kind of OG about streetwear or whatever, but I don't think that streetwear itself is dead but that the brands we all looked up to and grew up with are past their time. The culture still exists just not as much in the brands we all got into. I feel like when the brands we loved when they were small gained ground, they had to do more to stay up and get bigger. The mentality still exists, just not in the brands we have been celebrating all of these years.

...and this is my first post...
July 17, 2012 @ 03:03 AM
woozie

sneakergame dead
streetwear dead
blogging dead

you can get a hint when brands die once you see fakes going around due to its popularity.
sneakergame/streetwear just became a huge circle jerk. just go to a DXC and just see how demographic changed. Bunch of kids who swear they fresh or original when they dress like there boys.

People need a crash course on how to dress, throwing on expensive clothing all together does not make you look nice (unless well executed.)

Sevenofseven knows wassup, read his post.
Kids, have fun with it, grown folks, do better and hope one day those kids will grow up and "get it."
July 17, 2012 @ 03:25 AM
Juki

Didn't read much of this tread but Tumblr is good at predicting which Jordans will fetch a good resale when they release. Everyone kid on Tumblr thinks they're a fashion icon. Streetwear been dead doe....

Doubleclutchhoops.com

July 17, 2012 @ 03:27 AM
NZOO

Streetwear brands killed streetwear lol.

Don't badmind me.

July 17, 2012 @ 03:33 AM
lstplcwnr

y'all sound like you own it or some shit do something about it then

insta/twitter/tumblr/cargo: sihalanick

July 17, 2012 @ 04:07 AM
Juki

Supreme still alive doe. They campin out right now....

Doubleclutchhoops.com

July 27, 2012 @ 02:00 AM
b3asthyp3

Feel this thread so much confused
September 10, 2012 @ 10:10 PM
spacycloud

Interesting takes on co-opts
September 10, 2012 @ 10:57 PM
veryrareandbased

Most of them Tumblr niggas dont even got any of the shit they post. Nor don't even know where to cop.
They just think its "cool".

#HANSUMBOYZ / "I mean I just wanted the pussy tbh."- Thad #FREETHAD

September 10, 2012 @ 11:07 PM
goldANDsacks

YOU KNOW WHAT KILLED STREETWEAR?! money.

yup. it all boils down to brands expanding. selling out. pimping their warez. the essence of streetwear is in rebellion, and making money is the most anti-rebellious thing you could do.

don't worry. you'll find something else to fulfill the void. hope that doesn't whore itself out either.
September 11, 2012 @ 04:02 AM
encore818

Tumblr + Odd Future = Streetwear killers.
September 11, 2012 @ 04:08 AM
sado

September 11, 2012 @ 04:09 AM
Keyser Soze

hypebeasts killed skateboardingwear
September 11, 2012 @ 04:16 AM
sado

June 26, 2013 @ 05:57 AM
zerimar

rarity>hype

Please login first to reply.