SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
January 10, 2012 @ 02:05 AM
RocketsFan14

i'm starting to look at what i want to do in the future, and i've decided that i want a job that has to do with music. anything from promoter to manager or pretty much any idea you have is welcome. What classes you think i should take would be nice, and any colleges that are good for this that you know of would be a great help, it's hard to find colleges that really fit what i'm looking for.
January 10, 2012 @ 02:17 AM
Ferris.Bueller

Shouldnt your title read "Jobs in the industry vol: Music"?
January 10, 2012 @ 02:20 AM
drtmcgrt

lmfao at failed vol.

http://instagram.com/rasheedovich/

January 10, 2012 @ 02:25 AM
Beach2theBay

I would go to a music vocational school or go to a university that has a music certificate program or something like that. Don't let anyone tell you to just just a music degree, a business degree, or a marketing degree and it'll work out. I'm learning that the hard way. If music doesn't work out you could always get a BA/BS later but music is pretty much a young man's game so you want to get in as soon as possible.
January 10, 2012 @ 03:43 AM
Ape

lmfao at failed vol.

http://WORLDWIDEwavy.tumblr.com/

January 10, 2012 @ 03:55 AM
ⓜⓘⓝⓓⓔⓡⓐⓢⓔⓡ

go to Full Sail

http://www.fullsail.edu/

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

January 10, 2012 @ 04:19 AM
Beach2theBay

Full Sail is expensive as fuck. I'd go to Musician's Institute if you live near LA or find a certificate program at a city college or university near you. I'd say getting a BA in Music Business would be a huge waste of money because experience is what counts more. I'd get a certificate in music business and take GEs for a Bus degree or something and finish the degree if the job you want requires it. My advice is to look up what jobs you want and what the requirements to get them are then go from there.
January 10, 2012 @ 06:02 AM
TwiggyDig

avoid music industry

source: sister who has worked in music for 20 years
January 10, 2012 @ 06:31 AM
i_hate_simps

go to a real school community college if you have to none of this specialized bullshit
January 10, 2012 @ 07:20 AM
Redline

too many niggas vol. failing lately
somebody should make a sticky
January 10, 2012 @ 07:31 AM
appleyard

community college like everyone else
January 10, 2012 @ 08:45 AM
RA*SAN

there are more opportunities in the music business than people think, it all depends on what you are capable of doing and what knowledge you have. One of the most in demand jobs in the industry is live sound. This means running sound for various venues or shows. Another job could be sound engineering. It all depends on what your going for.
January 10, 2012 @ 08:54 AM
RA*SAN

i'm starting to look at what i want to do in the future, and i've decided that i want a job that has to do with music. anything from promoter to manager or pretty much any idea you have is welcome. What classes you think i should take would be nice, and any colleges that are good for this that you know of would be a great help, it's hard to find colleges that really fit what i'm looking for.

are you in houston?
January 10, 2012 @ 08:54 PM
RocketsFan14

i'm from PA, near Philly. I appreciate all the help, keep it coming everybody.

and btw if my vol. is a fail, so is every single one on the front page.

and yeah, i can tell that there's a lot more opportunities than people think, i'm still trying to figure out which one is the right one for me.
January 10, 2012 @ 09:39 PM
DStyles

graphic design

from design album covers to the layout of a music magazine

Last.fm - DStyles23 Xbox Live GT: DStyles23

January 11, 2012 @ 12:57 AM
BuddyOmar

i'm from PA, near Philly. I appreciate all the help, keep it coming everybody.

and btw if my vol. is a fail, so is every single one on the front page.

and yeah, i can tell that there's a lot more opportunities than people think, i'm still trying to figure out which one is the right one for me.

STOP IT FIVE. MY THREAD GOOD DOE

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBuddyOmar?feature=mhee |||||||||||||| Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/buddy_omar

January 11, 2012 @ 01:01 AM
johnathan

lmfao at failed vol.

free max b 2013

January 11, 2012 @ 01:35 AM
Dino Spumoni

DO NOT go to Full Sail. EVER. In fact, forget about working in the music industry because the music industry no longer exists.
January 11, 2012 @ 01:50 AM
Beach2theBay

Not true. The old music industry doesn't exist but a new one is emerging. Look at a group like OF. They pretty much blew themselves up and now have a tv show and a clothing line within 2 years. The industry isn't the "record a demo, send it to a label, and get a deal" industry anymore but the industry still exists. All industries evolve and this one is more in the hands of the artists than in the hands of the labels like it used to be.

You just have to have 1) talent 2) charisma 3) a great idea 4) connections.

Notice how I didn't say education. You can't learn most of what it takes to make it in the biz in a classroom. I'd recommend getting an AA in Business or Music Business but beyond that it's what's inside you.
January 11, 2012 @ 03:40 AM
bonemarrow

Not true. The old music industry doesn't exist but a new one is emerging. Look at a group like OF. They pretty much blew themselves up and now have a tv show and a clothing line within 2 years. The industry isn't the "record a demo, send it to a label, and get a deal" industry anymore but the industry still exists. All industries evolve and this one is more in the hands of the artists than in the hands of the labels like it used to be.

Notice how I didn't say education. You can't learn most of what it takes to make it in the biz in a classroom. I'd recommend getting an AA in Business or Music Business but beyond that it's what's inside you.

truth, but the old industry trying to revamp real quick

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

January 11, 2012 @ 03:53 AM
Dino Spumoni

No. The current "industry" you speak of is a house of cards. It's completely unsustainable.

Artists used to make their money on tour. But going out on tour costs money... a lot of fuckin money. That was why they signed with labels that would lend them enough money to go out and make a living. But those labels weren't just giving out money for the hell of it. They had to be confident that they would make a profit from thte artist's album sales. Therein lies the problem--people don't pay for music anymore. So if a record company can't make any money off an artist, then it won't do a damn thing for the artist and that artist will be stuck playing clubs for free beer and maybe gas money.

Of course, this eliminates the behind-the-scenes jobs almost entirely. Don't chase a job that doesn't exist.

cool story bro
January 11, 2012 @ 04:09 AM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

Become a weed carrier for a rapper.
January 11, 2012 @ 08:31 AM
cebollo

worked at UMG for a year. music industry sucks.
January 11, 2012 @ 08:44 AM
fiftytwoeighty

Any "huge" business is gonna suck dick for a while..it all depends on what you put into it..don't let people who've never truly done music or have been in the industry long enough, tell you what exists and what doesn't. Connections are a MUST though. ..Co sign on Full Sail <<<< waist of money...and time...I'd say if you want to be a manager/promoter/behind the scenes person take a business course, always a good degree to have in case the shit doesn't pan out on the music end. Also if you want to become an engineer, getting an internship at a professional studio wouldn't hurt.
January 13, 2012 @ 07:02 AM
frosty33

worked at UMG for a year. music industry sucks.

what'd you do at UMG?
January 13, 2012 @ 07:50 AM
Rodney D Ellis

graphic design

from design album covers to the layout of a music magazine

that is very true

fuck the internet

Please login first to reply.