October 11, 2011 @ 03:04 PM
Tronic

the complexities of it do nothing to change the fact that the law is being broken. You cant take the position “well we did this, or this is kinda messed up, so they should be allowed/rewarded for breaking the law”.

ayo look my dude, FUCK. YOU.

I was brought to this country from Mexico when I was 5 months old. FIVE FUCKING MONTHS OLD. I've only been back twice during summers in my childhood, but that's it.
The only life I've known & built is here in the states.

I'm 22, I work illegally, drive illegally, I'm a "criminal" for being here, and have every other fucking law in this country against me, but what the fuck am I suppose to do? Go back to my country? FUCK YOU THIS IS MY COUNTRY. I've spent all 22 years of life here, so fuck everyone with your shitty fucking mindset thinking people are "criminals" over something they have absolutely no control over.

Go through the U.S.I. system to become a resident/citizen? I'll have to wait 30+ years before anything happens for me.
Corporate/Industrial/Job sponsorship for residency? I gotta get a BA and then find a job that'll help with such a thing.
Get a BA? Gotta pay my own way through school (which I fucking am) then hope to God someone will hire someone in my position.

I didn't choose my situation, I was put in it & now that people in my situation can get a little help, people like you wanna shit on it? nah, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah FUCK. YOU.
October 11, 2011 @ 03:39 PM
deadpooL

I am all for "illegal" students (who were brought to the states by force at a young age) receiving financial aid. As far as i can tell, the only (and extremely crucial) problem is the fact that California is broke as fuck right now. American students are having an incredibly hard time paying their way through college as is, and this act will surely (negatively) impact thousands of "legal" students.

If only we poured the money we spent/d on war into the education sector. The only thing illegal and legal students should compete for is a higher GPA, not financial aid.
October 11, 2011 @ 03:42 PM
trevxv3

ayo look my dude, FUCK. YOU.I was brought to this country from Mexico when I was 5 months old....

Yea you didnt choose your situation... so go back to Mexico

SATIRE GANG OR MOW YOUR LAWN FOR FREE

October 11, 2011 @ 05:33 PM
imtheman

I'm on the fence bout this.. TRONIC sounds like some of my cousins n friends.. brought here at a young age, etc etc.
I'm mexican, born here legally, but never been able to afford college because I wast eligible for financial aid. Pisses me the fuck off that I couldnt go to school because I couldnt afford it while my fuckin friends could go because they were eligible some how and theyre fuckin "illegal immigrants", here illegally and only here because their parents brought them here for a better life. Thats cool and not so cool... cool because everybody deserves a decent life and shot at any opportunity. But what isnt cool is that CA IS SOOOO FUCKIN BROKE... like 20+ BILLION by now, and yet those same"illegals" that qualify for financial aid, live in Tijuana, school here, live like fuckin kings down there on financial aid, and blow the fuckin money on stupid shit or dont do a cot-damn thing in school - Ive seen it, I know people who have and it really fuckin pisses me off.
I swear, living in San Diego, being mexican, and seeing how some of your own people have advantages over you (the born citizen), but yet fuckin waste them is just the worst fuckin thing to see.
October 11, 2011 @ 06:05 PM
dead7

Its just inconceivable that at a time like this, with the state a financial mess, tax payer money would be going to non u.s citizens.
This law will only add to the appeal of California for immigrants and place further strain on the state economy. Its a bad idea, and we should trying to fix whats wrong and provide aid for Americans before trying to assist immigrants.

Until a solution is found that rewards or caters to both sides of the debate, i'm going to lean towards screwing the "line cutters" over those who are going through the process legally.
October 11, 2011 @ 07:52 PM
Mr. Nice Watch

Can someone post a link to this?
October 11, 2011 @ 08:00 PM
element

I'm all for giving illegals a chance for education; however, if giving them aid dips into the fund for citizens, i'm completely against it.
October 11, 2011 @ 11:35 PM
&bullshit

I think people need to inform themselves about whats going on. theyre not taking 2,500 students off FA and giving "their"money to illegals. They're just adding 2,500 talented and capable students to the pot. a 1.4 billion dollar pot. 1%.

If CA usually gives me 10,000 for FA I wont mind if they start giving me 9,900 so that hard working students who are in dire need of help can get an education. that's just me though.

http://92riots.tumblr.com/

October 11, 2011 @ 11:44 PM
dead7

I think people need to inform themselves about whats going on. theyre not taking 2,500 students off...

Its about increasing the total number of immigrants already here and adding to the states already overburdened ....... actually never mind.

Looking at the small picture is probably better for most people.
October 12, 2011 @ 12:16 AM
Bones

Actually i’m arguing that illegal immigrants are criminals and shouldn’t receive any benefit from...

Crossing the border is a civil offense. There have been places that have made it illegal to be in without any documentation or proof of citizenship but that also means that citizens can be rounded up and deported, it's happened before and it's happening right now.

One should also consider that Obama recently made an executive order that allows undocumented immigrants to remain in the country if they were arrested and did not commit a felony (driving w/o a license, etc). Not only has citizenship been questioned, but also the law of the land by the President himself. It's not as simple as stating that someone doesn't belong here and should therefore be sent back otherwise we would've seen the Supreme Court block the order.

Undocumented immigrants also contribute more money to the state and country than what they actually take away. These students aren't cutting the line, nor are they cheating their way into things. They're not receiving citizenship nor are their actions being excused. They're receiving financial assistance for college that they worked for and competed for. The amount being distributed by the state of CA is only a small percent of one percent.

If cutting lines, breaking the rules and misspending government money is of such a concern to you I recommend you focus your energy into organizing against the lobbyists in washington.
October 12, 2011 @ 12:41 AM
&bullshit

Its about increasing the total number of immigrants already here and adding to the states already...

lol the small picture? serious? what do you think is gonna happen? hordes of 14 year olds are gonna start crossing the border in order to finish high school in the US and take advantage of this? illegal immigration rates are gonna skyrocket because a handful of kids can now receive FA? if you think the economy is tough on you guys right now imagine how tough it is on illegals. it just goes to show how out of the loop some people are on this. do you also buy the rest of the right wing propaganda thrown at you too? like bones said illegals contribute more money than they take away.

I seriously doubt illegal immigration is going to increase because of this. If it didn't make sense then it wouldn't have passed.

October 12, 2011 @ 02:10 AM
dead7

Two thing I want to make sure I'm understanding clearly.
you are saying illegal immigrants add more to our economy than they take? I'm not sure weather this is true or not, but if it is, why is immigration an issue at all? We should open the border freely to them, encourage all who want to come to California an bolster the economy... No? If the are an economic plus, why aren't we ushering them into our bankrupt state to help "right our ship" so to speak?

Also have you actually convinced yourself that financial aid will not make California a more attractive immigrant destination? I dont see any reason that it wouldn't and would really like to hear your perspective.
October 12, 2011 @ 02:42 AM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

you are saying illegal immigrants add more to our economy than they take? I’m not sure weather this is true or not, but if it is, why is immigration an issue at all? We should open the border freely to them, encourage all who want to come to California an bolster the economy… No? If the are an economic plus, why aren’t we ushering them into our bankrupt state to help “right our ship” so to speak?.

1. dat racism
2. dat misinformation
3. dat scapegoating

To be fair, if hypothetically, they were given full rights as citizens including welfare they could cease to be a financial plus. If we got rid of them our economy would take a huge hit, if we legalized them irresponsibly, our economy would probably take a big hit. Obviously we can't turn a blind eye and leave things as they are either. That's part of what makes this a complex issue.
October 12, 2011 @ 03:01 AM
Bones

Two thing I want to make sure I’m understanding clearly.
you are saying illegal immigrants add more...

They are encouraged. Immigrants overflow CA because there are jobs available for them. There's a demand for low, cheap, immigrant labor. They're being kept around by politicians because they realize they contribute fiscally and don't cost a thing. The CA DREAM Act makes for a highly educated, low cost work force. It's brilliant! Did you think politicians did it to be nice to undocumented people? Ha! Nope!

& immigration is only a problem because it's sensationalized. Immigrants are an easy, quiet, and racially visible target. It's easier to say the economy sucks because the illegals are taking jobs instead of explaining the ways that legislation and lobbyists have made it easy for the rich to exploit the poor and not pay taxes.

Source that talks about immigrants and their supposed cost to the state. I highly suggest you check it out:
http://www.aclu.org/immigrants-rights/immigration-myths-and-facts
October 12, 2011 @ 04:37 AM
&bullshit

<p>Two thing I want to make sure I’m understanding clearly.<br>
you are saying illegal immigrants add more to our economy than they take? I’m not sure weather this is true or not, but if it is, why is immigration an issue at all? We should open the border freely to them, encourage all who want to come to California an bolster the economy… No? If the are an economic plus, why aren’t we ushering them into our bankrupt state to help “right our ship” so to speak?</p>
<p>Also have you actually convinced yourself that financial aid will not make California a more attractive immigrant destination? I dont see any reason that it wouldn’t and would really like to hear your perspective.</p>

lol way to stretch my comment there. I know I can't change your mind on this matter but you should at least read the article that bones just posted.

either way I'm glad thousands of deserving kids can soon get help paying for their college education while virtually harming nobody.

October 12, 2011 @ 04:57 AM
gnar

<p>It should probably be noted that, just because the residency status of these students may be illegal, they still continue to pay their own share of taxes by living in our society. They aren’t immune to retail, property, service or state taxes, meaning they pay for a majority of the same taxes we do when they buy a home, pay for gas, buy text books, ect… (with the exception of employment which is a gray area, since technically they’re not allowed to work, although some employers turn a blind eye to forged residency cards – in which case they actually do pay taxes under someone else’s name, with all of those benefits such as social security going to someone else.)</p>

qft. People only see the surface of things.
October 12, 2011 @ 05:37 AM
dead7

rather than read articles posted by pro immigration sites or post articles from anti immigration sites i wiki'd the topic (assuming we agree Wikipedia is unbiased)

During 2007, the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office reviewed 29 reports published over 15 years on the impact of unauthorized immigrants on the budgets of state and local governments. While cautioning that the reports are not a suitable basis for developing an aggregate national effect across all states, they concluded that:[16]

State and local governments incur costs for providing services to unauthorized immigrants and have limited options for avoiding or minimizing those costs;
The amount that state and local governments spend on services for unauthorized immigrants represents a small percentage of the total amount spent by those governments to provide such services to residents in their jurisdictions;
The tax revenues that unauthorized immigrants generate for state and local governments do not offset the total cost of services provided to those immigrants, although the impact is most likely modest; and
Federal aid programs offer resources to state and local governments that provide services to unauthorized immigrants, but those funds do not fully cover the costs incurred by those governments.

lol way to stretch my comment there. I know I ......

i was actually asking a legitimate question... what did you mean by "I seriously doubt illegal immigration is going to increase because of this"? Didn't mean to 'stretch your comment.
October 12, 2011 @ 05:43 AM
dead7

I think there is a disconnect here as to how they impact the state. They pay income tax and into social security(which they are not eligible for), but that's a federal boom. At the state level(where the cost is being incurred) They are a much more of a drain... I hope it there is a popular vote on it at some point. California is a mess and immigrant benefits should be the last(not literally) on our mind.

Please login first to reply.