Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
October 5, 2011 @ 03:13 PM
mopreme

oh, ok. Well first off if the temper tantrum comment was also directed at me, I don't get it. your little protests in the street are temper tantrums. What I'm doing is actually changing shit.

I'm not trying to make the people on wall street less rich or make everyone rich. If everyone could see a few simple truths, they'd be able to make themselves richer.

While you all sit around and bitch on the keyboard, I'm training to make money. I'm getting educated. I'll be the one making money. Money to fund real political reform campaigns that might actually get laws passed. I'll be investing money into portfolios managed by firms who only invest in companies who have good ethical practices (they exist).

all I'm saying is that these protests will not only achieve nothing, most of the people protesting don't even know what they're doing

Life is not fair.

You can bitch that it's not fair, or you can do something about it.

Americans are lazy fucks. So lazy they don't think for themselves.

My parents came to the US from Taiwan with less than $400 USD. Neither parent had a college education. My sister is a doctor and I am a lawyer.

I just know that when something broke in my house my dad fixed it. It could be an overflowing toilet, or the microwave. That man will try.
October 5, 2011 @ 03:28 PM

Inactive

Life is not fair.

My parents came to the US from Taiwan with less than $400 USD. Neither parent had a college education. My sister is a doctor and I am a lawyer.

I just know that when something broke in my house my dad fixed it. It could be an overflowing toilet, or the microwave. That man will try.

yeah, but noone is looking for handouts. noone is hating on anyone for being more successful or making more money.

the people who are trying to occupy wall street see the financial sector as corrupt and inhumane and unethical. but if you're gonna blame the banks for profiting off the debts of the middle class, you have to blame the middle class for taking those damned loans. it's the whole consumerist "bigger-the-better" extravagant lifestyle that has gotten the world into this mess. sure, the money lenders and whatever may be greedy, but so is everybody else.

the people marching there don't have a problem with people working hard or making money. they have a problem with the perceived exploitation of people by banks.

but congratulations on your professional success.

but yeah, it's a waste of time. noone marching there even knows what the hell they want. and word to homes. protests aren't gonna do shit. you either have to get violent, or you have to work within the system or have someone work within the system for you. but i doubt it'll do any good. the wealthy have all the power and influence and if they want the status quo to remain, it will. hopeless.
October 5, 2011 @ 03:38 PM

Inactive

they may be corrupt and such, but what they're doing is NOT illegal. you can use the same argument for Apple and how they're unethical with their ridiculous prices for their gadgets and constant upgrades to reap more profits, yet people still buy their shit at the end of the day. same concept as someone in the middle class taking out a loan knowing full well that the bank is trying to make profit off of their mistakes.

i agree. but everything is so interconnected it's hard to get away from it. i mean, if you want a home, you're going to have to go to a bank. it's become too big a part of society. but yeah, people need to stop demonizing the rich and the banks. i don't at all sympathize with the rich or with corporations, but everyone's to blame in this situation. the world's full of covetous bastards.
October 5, 2011 @ 04:04 PM
dead7

Marx and Lenin were right... sadsadsadsadsadsadsadsad
October 5, 2011 @ 04:10 PM
mopreme

yeah, but noone is looking for handouts. noone is hating on anyone for being more successful or making more money.

the people who are trying to occupy wall street see the financial sector as corrupt and inhumane and unethical. but if you're gonna blame the banks for profiting off the debts of the middle class, you have to blame the middle class for taking those damned loans. it's the whole consumerist "bigger-the-better" extravagant lifestyle that has gotten the world into this mess. sure, the money lenders and whatever may be greedy, but so is everybody else.

the people marching there don't have a problem with people working hard or making money. they have a problem with the perceived exploitation of people by banks.

but congratulations on your professional success.

but yeah, it's a waste of time. noone marching there even knows what the hell they want. and word to homes. protests aren't gonna do shit. you either have to get violent, or you have to work within the system or have someone work within the system for you. but i doubt it'll do any good. the wealthy have all the power and influence and if they want the status quo to remain, it will. hopeless.

I agree that financial sector is corrupt, and sadly the only way for any change to occur is through acts of violence. Its obvious the government does not give two shits, so sitting around with signs is just retarded.
October 5, 2011 @ 04:16 PM
Constellations

they may be corrupt and such, but what they're doing is NOT illegal. you can use the same argument for Apple and how they're unethical with their ridiculous prices for their gadgets and constant upgrades to reap more profits, yet people still buy their shit at the end of the day. same concept as someone in the middle class taking out a loan knowing full well that the bank is trying to make profit off of their mistakes.

this is not what the banks are traditionally supposed to do though. a bank usually loans out money with the expectation that you are going to back them back, with interest of course. they subverted this which allowed them give out loans all willy nilly with no regard to their customers, and in a lot of cases, their own companies/corporations. but all the CEO's got fuckin paid.

please watch this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-S6rZ18KKk&feature=related

and this

www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=nUwU9G87RKM

the investment banks and rating agencies flat out lied to their investors. they're snake oil salesmen.
People lost their 401k's and retirement funds over this shit. someones grandma is now on fuckin welfare somewhere, and some CEO gets to run off to St. Barts with her money. and its ok cause its not illegal? is this the kind of unhindered free-market capitalism you like Homes & Powerball?

\X/

October 5, 2011 @ 04:27 PM
NZOO

There's no problem with going to the bank and getting a loan, unless you're just going to turn around and bitch about the loan and how unfair it is. You walked into the building and signed the fucking contract for that loan. In my world, plenty of people are homeowners. I'm proposing that if you don't have hundreds of thousands of dollar to buy a house, then don't buy a house. Or, get a loan, and deal with the interest rates that you signed up for. If you don't make enough money to buy a $200,000 house, what do you need it for? If you're not in a financially stable situation where you can pay your loans even if the rates go up, why did you take the loan?

People can't predict the fucking future -_-. You take out out a loan and get laid off 3 years from when you took it out and it's hard to get decent enough job to cover all the bills. Lets not make it be about the banks, but you making it seem like people are still taking out major loans etc, banks aren't giving out money like they used to. The problem is the money being invested in bullshit and not really used to help the economy.

Don't badmind me.

October 5, 2011 @ 04:32 PM
Homes

please watch this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-S6rZ18KKk&feature=related

the investment banks and rating agencies flat out lied to their investors. they're snake oil salesmen.
People lost their 401k's and retirement funds over this shit. someones grandma is now on fuckin welfare somewhere, and some CEO gets to run off to St. Barts with her money. and its ok cause its not illegal? is this the kind of unhindered free-market capitalism you like Homes & Powerball?

Now again this is not all the fault of the banks. The lenders shouldn't have sold the mortgages. the investment banks shouldn't have paid the ratings agencies to give their CDO's improperly high ratings. Smart investment managers should have seen through the rating and chosen not to invest their customers' money into them. There are plenty of people at fault here.

Alright I want to clarify that I am not completely in favor of free-market capitalism. So far in this thread I have been playing devil's advocate somewhat and trying to explain the reality of the situation. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly where I stand in terms of how "free" the market should be. I definitely think there are points to the free market system.

But anyways, this actually isn't unhindered free market capitalism. If it was, financial institutions would be allowed to fail. The government would never step in, except to enforce property rights and contracts. I think it's interesting to consider that, especially as of late, the "invisible hand" might be more effective at steering ethical business practices than government policy.

If it was free-market, and a financial institution pulled some shit like this, they would be out of business the next day (at least in theory). People would go to the next place, and the business would fail. Consumers would have the ultimate power (even though consumers now also have much more power than they seem to realize). Lenders, investment banks, ratings agencies, and the like would follow better business practices if everyone who didn't simply lost all their customers and was allowed to fail.

I think it's interesting to consider; who knows how well it would actually work. Which is why I'm not sure if I'm fully in support of it, it's never really been played out in the real world.
October 5, 2011 @ 04:40 PM
Homes

I agree that financial sector is corrupt, and sadly the only way for any change to occur is through acts of violence. Its obvious the government does not give two shits, so sitting around with signs is just retarded.

I think there is still hope for change, I just don't think these kinds of protests will get it done.

Consumers still have power. If people would actually just stop buying from unethical places, they would still fail (if the gov lets them). I think people need to understand that economic means are probably the most effective for change today. MLK Jr saw it when he organized boycotts. Organizations today like the BBB are helping, and I think with more focus in this direction, consumers could realize how much power they actually have.

On the other hand, the only reason politicans don't really give a shit is because their job is to be a politician. It's to stay in office. They don't care about people protesting if those people don't vote (which most youth don't). If it really came down to "We are going to vote you out of office if you don't change this" they would throw the finance sector under a bus because their job is on the line. If people consolidated their money and lobbied against the finance sector with as much money as the finance sector lobbies to stay in business, the people could win. As of right now though, everyone is too concerned bashing the other party.
October 5, 2011 @ 04:54 PM
Ape

"If people spent as much time learning as they didn't trying to get over, we'd be in good shape. "

http://WORLDWIDEwavy.tumblr.com/

October 5, 2011 @ 04:55 PM
Josh.

Life is not fair.

thats a generalization buddy

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

October 5, 2011 @ 05:06 PM
It's Only Hype

But anyways, this actually isn't unhindered free market capitalism. If it was, financial institutions would be allowed to fail. The government would never step in, except to enforce property rights and contracts. I think it's interesting to consider that, especially as of late, the "invisible hand" might be more effective at steering ethical business practices than government policy.

cool

how effective was the bailout anyway? not very it seems like..
October 5, 2011 @ 05:06 PM
Blunted at birth.

Our currency hasn't been anchored to gold since Nixon. What is fucked up about this? That's how lending works.

Yo you are right b, I misspoke. Federal reserve notes aka our dollar are currently backed on good faith lmao. The reason why I think it's fucked up is because all the money they "have" is virtual and just numbers on a screen yet they can loan it out to the gov & you at interest. So basically they are making money out of nothing after making money out of nothing. idk man it just seems stupid to me that by virtually creating money they can take away your real,tangible assets.

good point, but they don't exclusively control the money supply. The Fed and the Treasury have control too, which is why I'm saying people should be protesting in DC, not Wall Street. If you think they are abusing the money that they are "given" by the gov, then you should be protesting the Fed's policies instead. The banks are doing what is legally allowed, and they always will. They are huge profit driven corporations.

Yo dude, the federal reserve exclusively controls the money supply. what i think is messed up is that its a private corp that has never been audited and if you know history you would know that the people who helped create it are warmongers and shit lol. I agree that ♥♥♥♥♥s should be protesting for monetary reform as that is the root cause of our "recession". Imagine if we were to issue currency debt free!

Ok, but why don't you blame the average ♥♥♥♥♥ that took the loan? I'm not saying it's all their fault, but it's not completely the bank's fault either.

I cant even get mad at the average ♥♥♥♥♥ when they are usually ignorant to what's going on. It's like a grown ass man taking advantage of a child. and i mean, what are people going to do? Although on paper the standard of living in the US has increased it's actually gone way down. In the 50's you could by a house with roughly a year and a half's salary. I wish that were still the case. Also it used to be only necessary for their to only be one provider per household. that's usually not the case anymore. The system is designed for you to take out loans now. dat debt slavery breh. l0l.
October 5, 2011 @ 05:43 PM
Homes

Yo you are right b, I misspoke. Federal reserve notes aka our dollar are currently backed on good faith lmao. The reason why I think it's fucked up is because all the money they "have" is virtual and just numbers on a screen yet they can loan it out to the gov & you at interest. So basically they are making money out of nothing after making money out of nothing. idk man it just seems stupid to me that by virtually creating money they can take away your real,tangible assets.

The value of our currency is created by the demand for our currency on the market, just like a stock.

It's not really "virtual" in that it is just made up and there is nothing connected to it, it's just like an "asset" rather than actual cash. It's really confusing and I'm not sure I completely get it, but from what I understand the money that a bank gets is multiplied by loaning it out. Banks are only required to keep a fraction of your money on reserve, or in cash. Meaning if you want to take all of your cash out of the bank, you can, but if everyone tries at the same time, the bank can't do it because they only have 20% of everyone's money (this is a bank run) (the other 80% was loaned out). so if you deposit $100 in bank 1, bank 1 will keep $20 and loan out $80 to bank 2 let's say. That bank will keep $16 and loan out $64 and so on.

So technically, all the loaned out money is still owed to someone along the line. Bank 2 owes bank 1, bank 1 owes you, etc. If someone somewhere along the line can't pay, they'll have their assets seized and shit to convert into the cash that is owed. So it isn't like flat out imaginary money, it just gets riskier the longer the line gets.

Yo dude, the federal reserve exclusively controls the money supply. what i think is messed up is that its a private corp that has never been audited and if you know history you would know that the people who helped create it are warmongers and shit lol. I agree that ♥♥♥♥♥s should be protesting for monetary reform as that is the root cause of our "recession". Imagine if we were to issue currency debt free!

lol that's what I was saying too, I must've misinterpreted. I thought you were saying the commercial banks exclusively controlled the money supply. It's not a private bank though
October 5, 2011 @ 05:47 PM
Blunted at birth.

Wait how is it not a private bank?

And are you talking about deposit multiplication?
October 5, 2011 @ 06:02 PM
Constellations

[B]Now again this is not all the fault of the banks. The lenders shouldn't have sold the mortgages. the investment banks shouldn't have paid the ratings agencies to give their CDO's improperly high ratings[/B]. Smart investment managers should have seen through the rating and chosen not to invest their customers' money into them. There are plenty of people at fault here.

Alright I want to clarify that I am not completely in favor of free-market capitalism. So far in this thread I have been playing devil's advocate somewhat and trying to explain the reality of the situation. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly where I stand in terms of how "free" the market should be. I definitely think there are points to the free market system.

If it was free-market, and a financial institution pulled some shit like this, they would be out of business the next day (at least in theory). People would go to the next place, and the business would fail. Consumers would have the ultimate power (even though consumers now also have much more power than they seem to realize). Lenders, investment banks, ratings agencies, and the like would follow better business practices if everyone who didn't simply lost all their customers and was allowed to fail.

I think it's interesting to consider; who knows how well it would actually work. Which is why I'm not sure if I'm fully in support of it, it's never really been played out in the real world.

isnt the bold kind of a contradiction? those are the institutions people are mad at. and it is their fault. theyre the ones who did it.

and watch the second video i posted after i edited, it might clear some things up that i failed to illustrate. the investment banks, the rating agencies all knew exactly what they were doing with those shitty, but highly rated CDO's, and speculators were betting on other people's investments to fail.

and i understand that america isnt totally free-market but this was one of those instances where an aspect of a business (CDO's, Credit Default Swaps, Derivatives, etc.) that went unregulated turned shady and corrupt.

also, i completely agree that the banks or any private industry for that matter shouldn't be bailed out with taxpayer money, unless those institutions were essential and were going to be nationalized.

and imma keep this short, but my problem with total free-market capitalism is that it relies on the belief that people running businesses are going to behave with integrity and that there will always be competition in a given industry. But what happens when a business or a group of business corner a market so that they can maximize profits at the expense of thei customers and their own integrity? (peep what the railroad barons did the midwestern farmers in the 1890's).

\X/

October 5, 2011 @ 06:19 PM
Brooklyn_718

isnt the bold kind of a contradiction? those are the institutions people are mad at. and it is their fault. theyre the ones who did it.

and watch the second video i posted after i edited, it might clear some things up that i failed to illustrate. the investment banks, the rating agencies all knew exactly what they were doing with those shitty, but highly rated CDO's, and speculators were betting on other people's investments to fail.

and i understand that america isnt totally free-market but this was one of those instances where an aspect of a business (CDO's, Credit Default Swaps, Derivatives, etc.) that went unregulated turned shady and corrupt.

also, i completely agree that the banks or any private industry for that matter shouldn't be bailed out with taxpayer money, unless those institutions were essential and were going to be nationalized.

and imma keep this short, but my problem with total free-market capitalism is that it relies on the belief that people running businesses are going to behave with integrity and that there will always be competition in a given industry. But what happens when a business or a group of business corner a market so that they can maximize profits at the expense of thei customers and their own integrity? (peep what the railroad barons did the midwestern farmers in the 1890's).

Honestly I don't think Homes or Powerball is aware of any of the issues. It's starting to feel like a waste... lol.
October 5, 2011 @ 06:38 PM
Blunted at birth.

^ lol stop it 5
October 5, 2011 @ 06:41 PM
It's Only Hype

i can't berieve there are smart ♥♥♥♥♥s on HB
October 5, 2011 @ 07:06 PM
dead7

americans are growing from passive consumers to active ones. this change is good but will have its pains. Many of u are overstating whats happening, just a bit.
October 5, 2011 @ 07:35 PM
Brooklyn_718

lol ok man. I guess I will try to explain this to you, in simpler terms, one more time. But if you still don't understand, that's on you.

Specialization does not only refer to the movement you are referring to (which is not from the 1700's, btw, you're about 200 years off). It refers to the idea that every country in the world is the best at "something." Obviously, if the auto industry needs bailouts from the government just to stay afloat, America is no longer the best at producing cars. What you are advocating is that rather than let that industry fail, and have thousands lose their jobs, we should artificially support it through government money, putting us further into debt. Instead, we could let the auto industry fail, and have those thousands of laid off workers find a new job in an industry that America is actually good at.

Lol, Your the one that used specialization in the wrong context....and you did it again lol. Like I said, and I'll say it again America can produce anything. (America isn't the best at making cars, but did Ford need a govt bail out ? NO..) I'm not supporting the bailout, if you had better reading comprehension skills you would see that I said......

and if the government is meddling in the market- by bailing out banks/car companies, and regulating- when things go sour they need to evaluate the system

If the government is going to regulate as much as they do and bailout banks and companies they have to use that same approach with the people who like the companies are in debt.

Pretend you live in a small town in the middle of the desert. There's one lake in the desert. Besides this one lake, there is no other water for hunreds of miles. So when you grow up, you decide to start up a fishing shop where you sell fishing rods, bait, etc. to all the locals so they can fish in the lake. Over the years, however, the climate changes and the lake dries up. Do you:

a) ask your friends, family, and neighbors to help you out by lending you money so you can continue selling a product/service that is no longer demanded, but save yourself and your employees from unemployment?

b) let your business fail, lay off your employees, and go into tough times for the next 6 months while you look for work elsewhere.

By bailing out the auto industry, which is aparently your idea of "social responsibility," you are just spreading the burden around to everyone else.

Such a poor analogy. Once again if you had better comprehension skills you would see that I said....

and if the government is meddling in the market- by bailing out banks/car companies, and regulating- when things go sour they need to evaluate the system

You also don't understand what system I'm "advocating" because thus far I've been playing the devil's advocate with a pretty clearly free-market stance. Which means I don't support the bailouts or government regulation.

I really don't get what your arguing here... No one can remotely advocate this system and be in favor of a free market. lol. Go read something about a free-market then come back because you don't know what it is. How can you say your not advocating this system ? Then what are you arguing about ?

lol enough with the "you must be really young" "you've probably never heard of the sub-prime mortgage crisis" overcompensation. When shit goes over your head, don't try and pretend like I'm the stupid one.

Oh the irony... Like I said your not aware of the issues your just in here, so that makes you the stupid one.

lol thanks for putting it in your sig and making yourself out to be even more of a dumbass. I know what the goal of a bank is. I don't think it's evil. They aren't "stealing" your money. If you honestly beleive that then I'm probably wasting my time on you... I hope you get the chance to educate yourself about this sort of stuff sometime.

Lol no one said the banks are evil, their a business. But like I said for the hundredth time they are taking advantage of people and abusing their power and influence. The fact that I have to say that over and over proves that you don't know any of the issues. Learn something about what's going on then come back.

In order for a free-market to function, the governments main purpose would be to protect the people's right to prosper... Honestly this is a waste. Everyone who is aware of what is going on today knows the current system is messed up. People all over the world is aware of it, the President is aware of it, Ben Bernanke is aware of it, the entire government is aware and their trying to fix it. So you can believe what you want to. You just seem foolish to me tbh.
October 5, 2011 @ 07:49 PM
Izuna

all of this tl;dr

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| http://soundcloud.com/izuna ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

October 5, 2011 @ 07:56 PM

Inactive

goddamn it brooklyn718, learn the difference between 'they're' and 'their' and 'your' and 'you're'
October 5, 2011 @ 08:55 PM
Homes

Wait how is it not a private bank?

And are you talking about deposit multiplication?

It's not private, it's overseen by Congress and the Federal Reserve Board and such.

And yeah that is what I'm talking about.

Yeah. I guess I am thinking (because of other people in this thread who seem to hold this belief) that you were just talking about the bank that initially offered the loan and then sold it. There are a lot of people responsible for it.

Yeah, personally I think it's more the part that consumer's expectations will force businesses to behave ethically that could work, but there would be conflicts. When the railroad barons did that, what technically stopped anyone else from building competing railroads and charging fair prices?

Once again if you had better comprehension skills you would see that I said....

Hahaha keep referring to that sentence bro... honestly it's so poorly constructed that I wasn't sure what you were even trying to say the first time. Anyways, that's all I'm going to waste on you anymore. I'm having a civilized discussion now, educated gang we in dis
October 5, 2011 @ 09:25 PM
Brooklyn_718

Lol^^ Sorry to burst your bubble Homes, but your not educated. You think you're educated, that's the problem here. You don't know wtf your talking about.

goddamn it brooklyn718, learn the difference between 'they're' and 'their' and 'your' and 'you're'

cool What a contribution to the thread... If only you can form an opinion about the economic situation.
October 5, 2011 @ 09:53 PM
Constellations

Yeah, personally I think it's more the part that consumer's expectations will force businesses to behave ethically that could work, but there would be conflicts. When the railroad barons did that, what technically stopped anyone else from building competing railroads and charging fair prices?

im not totally sure but i think that most people were just poor as fuck back then and just didnt have the means to create a railroad, and the people who had the means to challenge the railroad tycoons had already linked up with them and kept freight rates high. Eventually, after some bloody protests and economic panics, the government intervened. i think thats how it went. so maybe thats a bad example after all. the "invisible hand" didnt really get to do its job. iono mayne iono

\X/

October 5, 2011 @ 10:17 PM
cebollo

Brooklyn, between this thread and the Steve Jobs Resigns thread, I'm really starting to worry about you. I really recommend you stop putting other people down and assuming that people that disagree with you don't know what they are talking about.

Homes has demonstrated a very clear train of though and a very clear understanding of how economics works and all you can say is "lol you dont know shit you dumb lol."
October 5, 2011 @ 10:18 PM
Blunted at birth.

lol ^

yea brooklyn, acquire a PMA dude.

positivity > negativity
October 5, 2011 @ 11:01 PM
Josh.

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

October 5, 2011 @ 11:22 PM
Brooklyn_718

Brooklyn, between this thread and the Steve Jobs Resigns thread, I'm really starting to worry about you. I really recommend you stop putting other people down and assuming that people that disagree with you don't know what they are talking about.

Homes has demonstrated a very clear train of though and a very clear understanding of how economics works and all you can say is "lol you dont know shit you dumb lol."

Go back and read the end of the "Steve Jobs resigned" thread... It ended with everyone saying "I respect your opinion, we should make a business thread"... Everyone left on a peaceful note, we made our points and that's it. Don't bring that up because Steve Jobs died... That thread had many people in it that knew about the tech business, and people had great points. Homes doesn't know anything about the current situation.

Please login first to reply.