Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
September 25, 2011 @ 11:07 AM
windowpane

Is anyone here majoring in anything law related or going to law school?

I'm doing criminal Justice in FIU then planning on going up to New York for law school, or staying in the University of Miami.
September 25, 2011 @ 12:42 PM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

I'm planning on doing law school after I graduate. Currently a Psych Major, about to see if I can switch over to English though.

Hopefully by the time I graduate the amount of people going to law school and the amount of jobs available will level out some.
September 25, 2011 @ 01:05 PM
TwiggyDig

I'm majoring in communications at Fordham University, then going to try to either go to Fordham Law or another law school in New York or Los Angeles.
September 25, 2011 @ 01:43 PM
Marky Mark

I'm in law school. It's not too bad.
September 25, 2011 @ 01:50 PM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

^Where at? Hows the work load?
September 25, 2011 @ 02:14 PM
jaded

I'm planning on doing law school after I graduate. Currently a Psych Major, about to see if I can switch over to English though.

Hopefully by the time I graduate the amount of people going to law school and the amount of jobs available will level out some.

If you're more interested in psychology, then just minor in english. Don't switch majors just because you think it will look better on a law school application (assuming that's why you're doing it).

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

September 25, 2011 @ 02:24 PM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

Nah, psychology is fascinating but I discovered it wasn't something I really wanted to pursue to a Ph.D. English Lit fits better with my natural interests as well as career goals. I'm a mad bookworm.

I'm hoping I can squeeze in a political science minor to beef up my application, if not I can just go with a psych minor.
September 25, 2011 @ 02:30 PM
jaded

Nah, psychology is fascinating but I discovered it wasn't something I really wanted to pursue to a Ph.D. English Lit fits better with my natural interests as well as career goals. I'm a mad bookworm.

I'm hoping I can squeeze in a political science minor to beef up my application, if not I can just go with a psych minor.

If english lit is a natural interest of yours, then you should do it. That way, if you interview with law schools and they ask you why you chose that major, you can talk passionately about it, rather than just being another guy who chose a major because its "what a law school admissions committee would want to see."

September 25, 2011 @ 02:35 PM
Marky Mark

^Where at? Hows the work load?

I go to Marquette. Not the greatest school but not bad either and I'm doing well so I'm pretty happy.

The work wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was still a ton work, I worked harder in my first year than I've ever worked at anything before. You gotta expect that though. I heard from a lot of people that you have to give up a lot of activities you love though and that was just wrong, at least in my case. You gotta treat it like a job, put in your time every day, but then make sure to take time to do things you like too. Unless I had a giant writing assignment coming due, I had time to go to the gym, run errands, watch baseball games, see my gf on the weekends, etc.

Also, don't bother changing your major. Law schools don't especially care what your major is, just your GPA and LSAT.
September 25, 2011 @ 03:12 PM
kushburner

If you cant make it to a T14 school, pick a different major
September 25, 2011 @ 03:17 PM
jaded

It would depend entirely on what he wants to use his law degree for. Not everyone is going to make it into a top 14 law school, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't pursue a law degree if that's the career they are interested in.

September 25, 2011 @ 03:38 PM
NoStress

I'm in law school. It's not too bad.

Which Law School you at? Because I've heard horror stories from Law School sad

Edit: Nvm saw your post

burr

September 25, 2011 @ 03:41 PM
jaded

Which Law School you at? Because I've heard horror stories from Law School sad

Edit: Nvm saw your post

From what I've heard, it's just like anything else in school. Some people are going to have to work much harder than others to do well.

September 25, 2011 @ 04:23 PM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

Not necessarily true. If you can get a nice scholarship at a top 30-40 school you can still graduate with minimum debt and have a chance at landing a decent job right out of the gate.

That being said, I've got a 4.18 gpa going right now. I'm only a sophomore, but I think I'll have a good shot at the top 14 if I can stay on my grind. Plus I'm a minority. I heard some schools give up to the equivalent of 10 points on the lsat for that when determining admissions. cool
September 25, 2011 @ 04:32 PM
jaded

Not necessarily true. If you can get a nice scholarship at a top 30-40 school you can still graduate with minimum debt and have a chance at landing a decent job right out of the gate.

That being said, I've got a 4.18 gpa going right now. I'm only a sophomore, but I think I'll have a good shot at the top 14 if I can stay on my grind. Plus I'm a minority. I heard some schools give up to the equivalent of 10 points on the lsat for that when determining admissions. cool

Keep your extracurricular work up. What you do outside of school means a lot as well.

September 25, 2011 @ 05:36 PM
Marky Mark

Yeah man, minorities (as long as you're black or hispanic) stay winning when it comes to law school admissions. Keep that huge GPA and study hard for the LSAT and you should get into a T14 (You'd probably need a 160 minimum for T14 as a minority).
September 25, 2011 @ 08:20 PM
TwiggyDig

where do you go to school dolphin?
September 25, 2011 @ 10:31 PM
FORTE ASHLEY OLSEN

Asu
September 25, 2011 @ 11:19 PM
windowpane

I go to Marquette. Not the greatest school but not bad either and I'm doing well so I'm pretty happy.

The work wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was still a ton work, I worked harder in my first year than I've ever worked at anything before. You gotta expect that though. I heard from a lot of people that you have to give up a lot of activities you love though and that was just wrong, at least in my case. You gotta treat it like a job, put in your time every day, but then make sure to take time to do things you like too. Unless I had a giant writing assignment coming due, I had time to go to the gym, run errands, watch baseball games, see my gf on the weekends, etc.

Also, don't bother changing your major. Law schools don't especially care what your major is, just your GPA and LSAT.

What you wrote could not be anymore true. I was told the first two years are alot of con law and nothing towards a specific field. I was told that is reserved for your final year, and i have also read it. Is it true? It's the reason i'm taking crim law. To go into those first two years with knowledge. It would make it smoother for me and give me an edge.

I don't agree with the top schools thing. I have a lawyer who is like my life counselor and is always giving me great tips and advice on how to do this correctly. She told me that it doesn't really matter the law school you go to, it just matters how you perform there. She says if im in the top of my class and i have a great GPA and a strong LSAT score that i will be in good hands.

Does anyone know if the University of Miami's Law School is one of the top? I know its a great one, and it is expensive but i dont know where i could search that.

Edit: I just found a site. UM is bad for its price. I'm still undecided where i will go for law school i have two years left to decide. I think my progress will also determine where i will go. I started College with a 1.8gpa (i was careless and no focus. Took me a year to open my eyes and slowly i'm getting up. Im at a 3.1, and i would love to be above a 4.2 by the end of these two upcoming years.

Please login first to reply.