Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
September 18, 2011 @ 08:55 PM
TwiggyDig

So I have to give this speech in class tomorrow and I'm pretty nervous about it. It's for my Public speaking class and it's in front of about 27 people. I'm completely outgoing and social in everyday life and have no problems with speaking or communicating, but in this class I get nervous as fuck before and during every speech and feel like a fool. This is our first big speech so I'm nervous as fuck about it tomorrow. I feel like Collin Ferth in the Kings speech, even though I'm not fucking up that bad.

Anyone have any experiences with this? Any tips from people who used to be nervous public speakers and aren't anymore?

I'd appreciate any advice, besides the stuff like "dude just don't give a fuck" because at this point that really just doesn't help me.
September 18, 2011 @ 09:05 PM
jaded

I took a group speech class in college that helped me a lot with that, because group presentations get you used to being in front of an audience without as much pressure.

If it's for a class, I would just remind yourself that everyone is going to have to be in the same position as you, so no one is judging you on your performance. Just do your best, stay calm, keep a good pace, and keep eye contact with the room. I would usually try to avoid looking right at someone, and instead just glance over the room.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

September 18, 2011 @ 09:10 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

just wear sun glasses during the speech
September 18, 2011 @ 09:13 PM
Saro

Your voice is your power. Just remember to talk loudly. Louder you talk, the more dominant you feel. Talk softly and you'll feel intimidated
September 18, 2011 @ 09:18 PM
jaythestar

If you have the opportunity VOLUNTEER to go first. have a good breakfast. Wear something that makes you feel professional (not suit and tie) Find a spot, object, or item in the back of the classroom and focus on it. Of course dont forget to make eye contact with the audience. What is the speech about? Are you able to start of with an ice breaker or can you incorporate humor in the introduction? It will loosen you up a little bit
September 18, 2011 @ 09:19 PM
jaythestar

Your voice is your power. Just remember to talk loudly. Louder you talk, the more dominant you feel. Talk softly and you'll feel intimidated

Just dont start screaming like Samuel L. Jackson But this is a good point know how/when to change up your inflection, tone, and volume
September 18, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
TwiggyDig

If you have the opportunity VOLUNTEER to go first. have a good breakfast. Wear something that makes you feel professional (not suit and tie) Find a spot, object, or item in the back of the classroom and focus on it. Of course dont forget to make eye contact with the audience. What is the speech about? Are you able to start of with an ice breaker or can you incorporate humor in the introduction? It will loosen you up a little bit

it's about HPV, the Human Papilloma Virus, a sexually transmitted disease. I don't think a joke about genital warts or cervical cancer would work in this class.

But yeah, I was planning on wearing a button down and tucking in my shirt to feel more confident. It's weird because I'm very confident in real life but I've always had trouble with these types of presentations.
September 18, 2011 @ 09:22 PM
jaded

Just dont start screaming like Samuel L. Jackson But this is a good point know how/when to change up your inflection, tone, and volume

I used to give all my speeches as Samuel L Jackson cool All you need is a cigarette and a Kangol hat.

September 18, 2011 @ 09:28 PM
3 Stripes

The more you practice, the less fear you will have. Its a simple fix to it.
September 18, 2011 @ 09:30 PM
Ape

think that you could be Tiger Woods after the sex scandal, or Kanye after Taylor, or MJ after...everything, or Clinton after monica, and your situation will seem alot better

http://WORLDWIDEwavy.tumblr.com/

September 18, 2011 @ 09:30 PM
jaythestar

^ DEAD.........(this was for jaded's comment. I see what u deed)

Side note, ok HPV...so maybe not a joke but maybe some sort of captivating introduction...are u in high school? college? All or at least some of those kids in ur class are having sex so really make them think about what ur talking about...get ur Bob ross on and paint a picture just use words. Once you got 'em, you got 'em. Also, there are probably at least 20 other kids who are gonna be nervous too...If you can go first and knock it out the box you will feel way better and everyone else who still has to go will be pissed that they didnt volunteer to go first
September 18, 2011 @ 09:32 PM
TwiggyDig

Sophomore in college. Most of the people in class are juniors and seniors and I don't know anyone really, esp because its so early in the year.

Yeah I'm trying to scare the shit outta people so I don't feel like people get bored, and because sex is on everyone's mind 24/7, I feel like it'll work.

Yet my problem isn't my content, it's my pre-speech and speech nerves...

^tiger woods scenario does put stuff in perspective.
September 18, 2011 @ 09:44 PM
It's Only Hype

The more you practice, the less fear you will have. Its a simple fix to it.

Yep. The more you know your stuff the more naturally it will come to you
September 18, 2011 @ 09:44 PM
Axraexl

Fap the night before

Run away from the land of Sodom and Gomorrah, the land of the sinking sand

September 18, 2011 @ 09:48 PM
w)entandrew

lol i would throw out a joke.. who cares if your teacher gets mad if the rest of the shit is good it shouldnt matter. making the crowd laugh makes everything easier too

Forum Administrator • @HOYITSDREW

September 18, 2011 @ 09:54 PM
stevennD

I took a speech class too son. One of the things you have to really focus on is not that bullshit find something and focus on it, your audience won't give you any attention if they find that you're not even giving them yours while you speak to them.

Don't get all monotonous and shit either, you need to be able to hear the changes in your voice, not just your audience.

And if you're behind a podium, fuck that shit. Move away from it so it forces your audience to look at you. But be smart with your movements. Don't move in the middle of one of your focus points, move when you're beginning another part of your speech.

Also, sprinkle the phrase "suck it" somewhere into your speech very subtle like my ♥♥♥♥♥, shit's empowering.
September 18, 2011 @ 09:56 PM
TwiggyDig

yeah, I need to make sure I fluctuate my voice enough. That shit can get bad.
September 18, 2011 @ 09:57 PM
jaded

yeah, I need to make sure I fluctuate my voice enough. That shit can get bad.

nothing is worse than a monotone speech. dat ben stein swag.

September 18, 2011 @ 10:01 PM
art vandelay

well think about it, when other people are up in front of you you're usually not paying attention, just thinking about your own speech. so it'll be the same when you get up there.
September 18, 2011 @ 10:03 PM
jaded

well think about it, when other people are up in front of you you're usually not paying attention, just thinking about your own speech. so it'll be the same when you get up there.

yeah, truthfully no one really cares about your speech except the teacher, so don't get too stressed over it. and don't be one of those dudes that says "at the end of my speech, i have a 5 question quiz for you guys, so pay attention lolololololol" for brownie points...everyone hates that dude.

September 18, 2011 @ 10:03 PM
Quan292

Im like the total opposite of you. Awkward in everyday situations but great at speeches. The biggest think to remember is to breath and calm down. Know your shit so it is more of a conversation with 30 people instead of some stuffy reading from an index card. Also use facial expressions to help convey meaning.
September 18, 2011 @ 10:04 PM
jtangtwenty3

pound your fist and spit a lot, walk around the stage and glare at people right in the eye, long pauses where you turn your back to the audience to build suspense and keep them hangin on your every word.
smoke some weed before presentation.
September 18, 2011 @ 10:09 PM
jaded

pound your fist and spit a lot, walk around the stage and glare at people right in the eye, long pauses where you turn your back to the audience to build suspense and keep them hangin on your every word.
smoke some weed before presentation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=duZ4VSDmwNo

September 18, 2011 @ 10:10 PM
Ape

Lold at 5 question quiz

http://WORLDWIDEwavy.tumblr.com/

September 18, 2011 @ 10:16 PM
TwiggyDig

for sure for sure. still nervous but i gotta do this don draper style
September 18, 2011 @ 10:20 PM
jaded

for sure for sure. still nervous but i gotta do this don draper style

pretend you're Morgan Freeman and you can't lose

September 18, 2011 @ 10:23 PM
The Music Man

Also, sprinkle the phrase "suck it" somewhere into your speech very subtle like my ♥♥♥♥♥, shit's empowering.

dat daniel tosh reference cool cool cool
September 18, 2011 @ 10:25 PM
myBallz

Wear Supreme, if you fuck up it will be all good cos you're wearing Supreme
September 19, 2011 @ 02:39 AM
Saro

it's about HPV, the Human Papilloma Virus, a sexually transmitted disease. I don't think a joke about genital warts or cervical cancer would work in this class.

But yeah, I was planning on wearing a button down and tucking in my shirt to feel more confident. It's weird because I'm very confident in real life but I've always had trouble with these types of presentations.

It doesn't matter about what the joke is, it's the delivery of it. Speeches are all about delivery. You can have A+ content, but if you're monotone like what the others said. It's gonna be boring. Another great tool is interaction, ask your classmates how they feel about something or make a joke and apply it to a student. I'm sure by now you're able to distinguish what makes a good teacher and a bad; that component is being interactive with the classmates cuz it gets them involved and part of your speech. Another thing is enthusiasm which makes like you know what you're talking about. And obviously when you make someone participate, the tension goes off from you to the person you call upon to participate, allowing you to relax a bit more since makes them feel ashame when they won't know how to reply with the right response.
September 19, 2011 @ 03:05 AM
CanvasO8

If you mess up somewhere in your speech do not apologize or acknowledge your mishap in anyway. Just quickly but subtly correct yourself.

Please login first to reply.