Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
September 15, 2011 @ 07:10 PM

Inactive

aite. so i visited my guidance counsellor today and she said that, because of how terribly i've done in high school, i may not be able to get into university [college] and may instead have to attend college [community college]. so i'm like, "okay. whatever." bummer. so i have a bunch of questions for those attending community college?

do you tend to see a lot of people from your high school at community colleges?

what are the career prospects like for a college graduate as opposed to a university graduate?

what is the tuition like? (none of the sites i visited are being very straight forward with this :/)

to my canadian brothers and sisters: it is impossible to transfer to unversity from college, right? just looking for confirmation or something.
September 15, 2011 @ 07:14 PM
jaded

A community college allows you to complete all your undergrad and finish with an AA degree. From there, you can transfer to a university to finish out your upper division classes in whatever major you choose.

Don't look at community college as a negative thing, a lot of people go to community college and then transfer to really good schools to finish their education.

My friend went to community college and did all his undergrad, then he went to Berkeley for his major, then got accepted into UCSD's medical school.

It's usually cheaper to take units at a community college as well. It will give you an opportunity to do better in your classes and have a strong GPA to apply to universities with.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

September 15, 2011 @ 07:16 PM
WCDon

Half the graduates at my school go to a community college. The other half go to the local 4 year college where they live at home.

THIS CANDYLAND NIGGA

Inactive

well, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if I can transfer to university from college
DBCEE

I went to community college for a few years before I transfered out.

1) Yes, in my case it was like a fucking high school reunion. Pretty wack.

2) Well it depends on your major, but hopefully you'll consider furthering your education beyond Community College. Cant do much with just an AA anymore.

3) I paid $27 per unit + books and all that shit. Super fucking cheap. Total it was like $1000-$2000 a semester depending on how many classes you're taking and how many books and supplied you need.

Hope this helps
September 15, 2011 @ 07:17 PM
jaded

well, I'm in Canada so I'm not sure if I can transfer to university from college

I'm sure you can if one is considered a higher form of education than the other like we have here.

September 15, 2011 @ 07:18 PM
mrfunnni

i was in a similar situation to yours, to answer your questions i can only talk about my experience and if you want answers for yourself i suggest you go out and figure it out.

1)yes you do see some people from highschool, but in my county there are alot of CC's so everyones pretty spread out, however it does benefit you because you can easily set up study groups/college friends and further network through college.

2) going to community college is a blessing in disguise, yes you dont get the full college experience but you save a butt ass amount of money. if you do well in a CC in california atleast you can pretty much transfer anywhere.

3) money. if your familys well off you wont get any kind of financial help, if your dirt poor apply for fafsa in january and submit it, you will make money going to community college. yes make money. save some of it if you can. i hope you dont go spending it all on supreme.

some advice
College is what you make it really, just bc you dont go to a university doesnt mean you have less opportunity to be successful, its really up to you. since you got shitty grades in hs i earnestly warn you to get your shit together before you go to college. its easy to get lost in a CC. Gl Hf.

haha fag

September 15, 2011 @ 07:18 PM
missy.

damn moopsie..

well, at my cc, i do see a bunch of people from high school or whatever while i'm walking to class but i try to avoid them... (mainly cuz i dont like them or dont really know them)
i hang out at the architecture department tho and none of my friends are pursuing anything under arch/interior/construction so i def dont see people.

i dont know how to answer the second question...... but i do know that in CA, you have a better chance of transferring to a university versus going straight from high school. it also depends on your situation but we have transfer programs especially at the cc i go to that'll help with the whole transferring shit. with the arch department, we have a shit ton of resources to help get us internships or work with architects and what not (but i dont know about the other departments)

tuition is DEFINITELY a LOT cheaper than universities. we pay 36 (used to be 26, before 20, and before that a lot less) per unit but we also have this thing called "bogg fee waiver" where the govt pays for your units if you're a california resident... i end up paying like 26 bucks a semester for fees only.

uh..... yea?

inb4 claires too old and in cc for too fuckin long. FUCKYOU ♥♥♥♥♥s, i'm poor.. tryina get as much classes as i can before i leave this place

El Chino : id let claire fuck me with a strap on while im on poppers

September 15, 2011 @ 07:19 PM
╒rozzy

Majority of the HS grads in my area attend community college first then transfer to university.

September 15, 2011 @ 07:21 PM
NZOO

In long run you end up saving money...

Don't badmind me.

September 15, 2011 @ 07:23 PM
NIFTY

lol yes you can..... I know some schools have joint programs with a CC so it's actually 100x easier to transfer. A handful of my friends are going to a CC first then transferring to a university two years later because they fucked up in high school. which city are we talking about?
September 15, 2011 @ 07:25 PM

Inactive

yah at this point i can't complain. i'd have preferred university, but god knows my poor ass can't afford it lol.

thanks for the advice everyone
September 15, 2011 @ 07:27 PM

Inactive

lol yes you can..... I know some schools have joint programs with a CC so it's actually 100x easier to transfer. A handful of my friends are going to a CC first then transferring to a university two years later because they fucked up in high school. which city are we talking about?

oh cool. so only for schools with transfer programs? is there like a site that lists this shit?
September 15, 2011 @ 07:28 PM
jaded

yah at this point i can't complain. i'd have preferred university, but god knows my poor ass can't afford it lol.

thanks for the advice everyone

Get a loan and/or government help (however it works up there), and go to community college. Focus on doing better in your classes, finish with a strong GPA, and transfer to a university. If you do well in community college, I would imagine you'd be able to get into more than a few universities up there.

September 15, 2011 @ 07:32 PM

Inactive

we're having a provincial election right now so I think loans and grants and such may get cut, depending on who gets elected.

lol
September 15, 2011 @ 07:35 PM
jaded

we're having a provincial election right now so I think loans and grants and such may get cut, depending on who gets elected.

lol

There's always money for school. Student loans are a business, so I'm sure if you look you will find plenty.

Do you really want to go to school right now? because it seems like maybe you're looking for reasons to not go, instead of finding ways to go.

September 15, 2011 @ 07:36 PM
ClydeFrazier

community college sucks, but you save a ton of money and it's easier to transfer into a great school. don't even trip. i did CC, now i'm at UCSD, which i definitely wouldn't have gotten into out of HS without at least a 3.8 GPA

Melo Gang All Day

September 15, 2011 @ 07:40 PM
usomanuso

like others have said, CC is like a high school reunion. pretty much all the kids that couldn't get into a 4 year school attend one of the 2 community colleges in my area. It's much cheaper, and in Ca if you get the BOG waiver, you pretty much pay for just your books.
September 15, 2011 @ 07:41 PM
shigablaow

community blows man. if i could go back, i would have busted my ass and done well to get into a university. i mean yeah i'm saving a lot of money and i'm getting a good education, but you miss out on that 'college experience' i feel. it's kind of like a repeat of high school, you see a lot of the same faces. also, a lot of people are here to just get in and get out and nothing more.
September 15, 2011 @ 08:02 PM
Axraexl

Dont let the show "Community" ruin your perspective of Community College.
Your only setting yourself up for disappointment T_T

Run away from the land of Sodom and Gomorrah, the land of the sinking sand

September 15, 2011 @ 10:23 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

when i did running start, the CC i went to was filled w/ other 16-17 year old running start students, high school rejects, hella old people trying to get a degree, and pretty much all kinds of losers..it was really depressing.

if i could live any type of lifestyle for the rest of my life, it would be the university lifestylecool
September 15, 2011 @ 10:28 PM

Inactive

sad
September 15, 2011 @ 10:41 PM
unknown force.

main problem with CC is that people that attend it aren't focused on getting the fuck out.

don't take bullshit classes for no reason if they don't work towards your AA or your future major. try to get decided on what you want to major in and only work towards that major. the more focused you are on the final goal the better CC is. i know too many people that are going on 3 or 4 years at a community college, ♥♥♥♥♥s need to get there shit together.

my situation was kind of retarded since i went to a 4 year, then went back to CC, and now i'm back at a different 4 year. so my credits kind of fucked up + lost time

also make sure all of the classes you are taking will transfer to schools you want to attend in the future, and make sure there aren't limits on how many transfer credits you can use towards your major. I think my school has a limit of like 80 or something
September 15, 2011 @ 10:42 PM
rocka

Lol I go to community It's not terrible like everyone saying it is. I go to school then I go home pretty much. I see a lot of people from high school but I don't talk to them. Just go for two years transfer then enjoy college life.
September 15, 2011 @ 10:46 PM
Young Handsome

cc PAYS ME 2K A SEMESTER WHY WOULDN'T I GO
September 15, 2011 @ 11:29 PM
jaded

what's the issue with seeing people you went to high school with? if you stay local, you are going to see people you went to high school with, regardless of if you go to community college or the university.

September 15, 2011 @ 11:33 PM
alberto.1989

I went to community college for a few years before I transfered out.

1) Yes, in my case it was like a fucking high school reunion. Pretty wack.

2) Well it depends on your major, but hopefully you'll consider furthering your education beyond Community College. Cant do much with just an AA anymore.

3) I paid $27 per unit + books and all that shit. Super fucking cheap. Total it was like $1000-$2000 a semester depending on how many classes you're taking and how many books and supplied you need.

Hope this helps

holy fuck bro 27 bucks a unit? im paying 75 per unit
September 16, 2011 @ 09:40 PM

Inactive

can I get some Canadian opinions?

Is there a Canadian equivalent of fafsa?
September 16, 2011 @ 09:47 PM
KevBd

what province are you in?

two of em x hs shit

September 16, 2011 @ 09:57 PM
Koozie

I'm from San Jose but I'm going to CC in Santa Monica.

Please login first to reply.