Labor Day - Enjoy 25% Off Your Order. Use code: LABORDAY25
September 13, 2011 @ 07:16 PM
jtangtwenty3

I know it sounds stupid but its something ive been wondering about.
im talking about dyeing of old age specifically, like why do our cells replace themselves worse than before and break down, why dont we just stop aging.
any biology majors that can answer me this?
i hope this is comin across in the right way and not just like im a dumbass, but i will probably just come across as a dumbass, but fuck it.
September 13, 2011 @ 07:21 PM
dirtyandypants

I'm pretty sure we die because our body just picks up minor issues until we can't take it anymore. It's like having a car.
September 13, 2011 @ 07:23 PM
stoompa

things naturally wear out. it's like denim, over time it gets fades and rips and diez.
September 13, 2011 @ 07:25 PM
DarianaGrande

Don't all living organisms eventually die?

http://soundcloud.com/anonymousnigger

September 13, 2011 @ 07:28 PM
Ecstasy

^
"With the activation of telomerase, some types of cells and their offspring become immortal, that is, their chromosomes will not become unstable no matter how many cell divisions they undergo (they bypass the Hayflick limit), thus avoiding cell death as long as the conditions for their duplication are met. Many cancer cells are considered 'immortal' because telomerase activity allows them to divide virtually forever, which is why they can form tumors"

telomerase activation ---> "immortality"

future gnerations gon be livin forever doe cool

upvote me so i can look cool on the internet

September 13, 2011 @ 07:28 PM
Lemonz

Don't all living organisms eventually die?

Correct.
Our bodies just aren't meant to last forever. With the advancement of medical technology, you might find people living beyond 100 years old on average, in the distant future.
September 13, 2011 @ 07:37 PM
livestok.

We do so many things that are bad of us, alot of which we don't even know about. An example would be smoking, wasn't known to be so bad for you until few decades ago
September 13, 2011 @ 07:40 PM
dalek

The real question is... why don't we live?
September 13, 2011 @ 07:41 PM
Ape

If people didn't age the world would be alot worse off

http://WORLDWIDEwavy.tumblr.com/

September 13, 2011 @ 07:45 PM
dalek

Correct.
Our bodies just aren't meant to last forever. With the advancement of medical technology, you might find people living beyond 100 years old on average, in the distant future.

Not sure about "distant" future. In 1900, the average life expectancy was 46.3 for males and 48.3 for females. That number has steadily increased and is now somewhere around 77 and 82 respectively. I don't know that 100 years is that far off.
September 13, 2011 @ 07:50 PM
jtangtwenty3

i mean i know why we die and shit and that our bodies wear out and all but what im saying is why do we keep maturing past our prime like why is it that our bodies are literally not meant to last forever, its like programmed into us to die eventually even if we arent killed by something or in good shape or whatever, our bodies produce the chemicals which further our maturation into old age and eventually death. just wierd to think about
September 13, 2011 @ 07:52 PM
jaded

cause if we didn't there would be so many people that the earth would get too heavy and fall into the sun duh

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

September 13, 2011 @ 07:54 PM
Steve Bartman

-1st page T_T
September 13, 2011 @ 07:56 PM
Axraexl

Why do we have two ears

Run away from the land of Sodom and Gomorrah, the land of the sinking sand

September 13, 2011 @ 07:59 PM
DarianaGrande

Why do hot dogs come 10 to a pack while buns are 8 to a pack?

http://soundcloud.com/anonymousnigger

September 13, 2011 @ 08:13 PM
110_percent

Your body is just exposed to a lot of shit...the sun, pollution, junk food, accumulation of mutations over time as you age, etc. Simply put, your body just wears out and breaks down, kinda like tires on a car.
September 13, 2011 @ 08:28 PM
Iggle

i mean i know why we die and shit and that our bodies wear out and all but what im saying is why do we keep maturing past our prime like why is it that our bodies are literally not meant to last forever, its like programmed into us to die eventually even if we arent killed by something or in good shape or whatever, our bodies produce the chemicals which further our maturation into old age and eventually death. just wierd to think about

no one knows for sure. there are a bunch of theories out there.

but like someone said before, telomeres play a role. when cells replicate DNA, some of the DNA at the ends are lost so your DNA has these things called telomeres at the end. instead of vital DNA being lost, you lose telomeres instead. that means your DNA can only replicate a certain amount of times before the good DNA is lost. this plays a role in aging. plus mistakes are made during DNA replication, so that can mess things up too

that's why the cloned sheep dolly died so young. it was cloned from DNA taken from an older sheep so technically, dolly was young, but the DNA was old.

#pedogangweindis

September 13, 2011 @ 08:28 PM
Jens Voigt

Why can't youtube use the already loaded bandwidth?

September 13, 2011 @ 08:36 PM
Iggle

might as well add this since its relevant....

when i was an undergrad, i did undergraduate research about aging and physiology. we worked on fruit flies. we had a bunch of different populations of flies, but we had 2 extreme groups. 1 group we allowed them to reproduce at an early age. another group at a much older age. the ones that reproduced earlier aged a lot faster and died earlier. the ones that reproduced later lived a lot longer. forgot the exact numbers, but i think the 1st group died after like 2 weeks, the 2nd group after 6.

for all living organisms, the goal is to reproduce (even non living things like viruses). so we were thinking that if you reproduce early, there's really no need for you to be living anymore cause you've already passed on your genetic information. that might have something to do with it. i graduated before anything was published though so i have no idea what's up with the research anymore

#pedogangweindis

September 13, 2011 @ 09:07 PM
bonemarrow

If people didn't age the world would be alot worse off

yes. over population

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

September 13, 2011 @ 09:07 PM
Constellations

when i was an undergrad, i did undergraduate research about aging and physiology. we worked on fruit flies. we had a bunch of different populations of flies, but we had 2 extreme groups. 1 group we allowed them to reproduce at an early age. another group at a much older age. the ones that reproduced earlier aged a lot faster and died earlier. the ones that reproduced later lived a lot longer. forgot the exact numbers, but i think the 1st group died after like 2 weeks, the 2nd group after 6.

for all living organisms, the goal is to reproduce (even non living things like viruses). so we were thinking that if you reproduce early, there's really no need for you to be living anymore cause you've already passed on your genetic information. that might have something to do with it. i graduated before anything was published though so i have no idea what's up with the research anymore

is that why popes live so long?

\X/

September 13, 2011 @ 09:20 PM
stevennD

Ronnel gon' live forever. ♥♥♥♥♥ injects money in his veins.
September 13, 2011 @ 09:39 PM
reversal

things naturally wear out. it's like denim, over time it gets fades and rips and diez.

Lol hb gotta compare life to denim.
September 13, 2011 @ 10:05 PM
jtangtwenty3

good shit thanks for all the info
September 13, 2011 @ 10:10 PM
WCDon

Why do some guys like penis in asshole?

THIS CANDYLAND NIGGA

September 14, 2011 @ 01:07 AM
Saro

Ronnel gon' live forever. ♥♥♥♥♥ injects money in his veins.

September 14, 2011 @ 01:21 AM
PandoCalrissian

dis ♥♥♥♥♥ deep cool

"leather jackets and bape shark hoodies, its a struggle but we make it work"

September 14, 2011 @ 01:28 AM
Koven

And the more I thought about it, the more I dug out my memory things I had overlooked or forgotten. I realized then that a man who had lived only one day could easily live for a hundred years in prison. He would have enough memories to keep him from being bored. In a way, it was an advantage.

all I do is sip espressos and listen to AZ -mrelllis.tumblr.com

September 14, 2011 @ 02:51 AM
NoStress

Its to make room.

burr

September 14, 2011 @ 03:11 AM
mmm_nene

theres a lot of shit that happens that people can't really explain why it happens. it just happens cuz it does. just the way it is. all we can do is not worry about it and live. and even life is a mystery. why are we living? who knows.

Please login first to reply.