300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
August 30, 2011 @ 02:47 PM
Paramedic

Anyone else get the before school jitters? I
August 30, 2011 @ 02:51 PM
jawesome

Word. We got prologue right now for three weeks at my pharmacy school... Fml when I gotta start LEARNING how to study and not bullshit...

Instagram: prxsh

August 30, 2011 @ 02:52 PM
Paramedic

Word. We got prologue right now for three weeks at my pharmacy school... Fml when I gotta start LEARNING how to study and not bullshit...

I know man, I’m sad my entire life is going to be studying now.
August 30, 2011 @ 02:56 PM
Mr. Nice Watch

man yall complaining?

im going to John Hopkins.... Welcome to hell razz
August 30, 2011 @ 03:01 PM
Paramedic

man yall complaining?

UPenn Medicine here.
August 30, 2011 @ 03:12 PM
Cybrax2

Adderall
August 30, 2011 @ 03:25 PM
sado

August 30, 2011 @ 03:39 PM
jaded

How old are you? Have you been working as a Paramedic? I know a paramedic that's on the path to med school.

If you made it this far, then you have obviously dedicated the time needed to do well in school, score well on the MCAT, etc. so you shouldn't have any issues with doing well in med school. Plus you made it into UPenn, which is one of the best med schools in the world, so they obviously see promise in you.

It's going to be tough, I have several friends who have done it and they all told me there are plenty of days where you feel completely overwhelmed and just want to break down and give up, but you just have to work through it.

In the end you will have one of the most respectable jobs you can have in my opinion.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

August 30, 2011 @ 05:00 PM
myBallz

GL man finish school and get cash moneyyy
August 30, 2011 @ 06:58 PM
whatjones911

Congrats man. Any advice to those that want to go to med school? I just got my bachelors and in an EMT class now. What else should I do in terms of extracurriculars
August 30, 2011 @ 07:02 PM
WCDon

man yall complaining?

Dam you smart as fuuuuuuck.

On that route to make that bank doe

THIS CANDYLAND NIGGA

August 30, 2011 @ 08:33 PM
jaded

Congrats man. Any advice to those that want to go to med school? I just got my bachelors and in an EMT class now. What else should I do in terms of extracurriculars

I went to a pre-med conference once where they really emphasized choosing extracurricular activities that you genuinely care about as opposed to activities that you assume an admissions committee wants to see. That way, if you reach the interview stage, you can talk passionately about what you've done as opposed to just telling them that you did it. Don't just assume that medical schools want to see a bunch of medical related volunteer work. You're already going to be an EMT, so do things away from work that you enjoy that you can tell them about.

Some ideas:
Boys & Girls club
Homeless shelter
Food drives
Toy drives
Some cities have volunteer groups that take kids on outdoor hikes and stuff

I'm sure you can find plenty of volunteer opportunities in your area. They are always happy to have extra help.

August 30, 2011 @ 08:48 PM
bapa

man yall complaining?

lol not with a 3.1 and a 1500 on your SAT. you stay scrubbin b
August 30, 2011 @ 09:25 PM
Pretty Joseph

adderall

cool

Smashing Dudes in my Peacoat @whereisthechill instagrm: Josephsmordernlife

August 30, 2011 @ 10:41 PM
zeezyo

Upenn? FUUUUUUu

hook it up with an admission though for real. i turned in the secondary last month. so jealous of you.

good luck man. cool

X

August 30, 2011 @ 10:44 PM
jaded

Yeah seriously, UPenn is beastly. That's where Dr.Oz got his MD and MBA, which is just savage. cool

August 30, 2011 @ 10:52 PM
cebollo

man yall complaining?

except it's called Johns Hopkins.
August 30, 2011 @ 10:52 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

dat Ivy League swag
August 30, 2011 @ 11:00 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

UPenn Medicine here.

man yall complaining?

how iz yall niccas payin for tuition? its like $40k+ per year.... even if u get grants, loans, scholarships, theres still alot of it that isnt covered...

enjoy the $100k+ debt lol, unless u gotta full ride or something.....
August 30, 2011 @ 11:01 PM
jaded

how iz yall niccas payin for tuition? its like $40k+ per year.... even if u get grants, loans, scholarships, theres still alot of it that isnt covered...

enjoy the $100k+ debt lol, unless u gotta full ride or something.....

it's $40k? I assumed it was actually higher than that.

August 30, 2011 @ 11:04 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

it's $40k? I assumed it was actually higher than that.

it said $40k+

that means at least $40k.......
August 30, 2011 @ 11:08 PM
jaded

it said $40k+

that means at least $40k.......

my friend went to UCSD med school and said loans have paid for everything. I'm not sure what their tuition is, but he hasn't had to worry. I'm sure student loan companies are more than happy to lend future doctors the money then rape them on interest when they're done with school.

August 30, 2011 @ 11:10 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

my friend went to UCSD med school and said loans have paid for everything. I'm not sure what their tuition is, but he hasn't had to worry. I'm sure student loan companies are more than happy to lend future doctors the money then rape them on interest when they're done with school.

if its all loans then that means u have to pay all of your tuition back.

so thats $40k x 8 years =

$320k+ in debt...

and theres no guarantee your getting a job right after school even if u get thru med school these days
August 30, 2011 @ 11:16 PM
jaded

if its all loans then that means u have to pay all of your tuition back.

so thats $40k x 8 years =

$320k+ in debt...

and theres no guarantee your getting a job right after school even if u get thru med school these days

Isn't school 4 years, two years of lecture and two years of clinical and then you graduate? The time after that is residency and the length depends on your specialty, I don't think tuition is involved at that point. I think including school and residency it can take anywhere from 7-10 years depending on your specialty, but I'm pretty sure tuition is only involved in the first 4 years at a med school. I could be wrong though.

August 30, 2011 @ 11:18 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

^^^ im talking about total years including undergrad years
August 30, 2011 @ 11:20 PM
jaded

^^^ im talking about total years including undergrad years

Oh, yeah assuming they went to an expensive undergrad and not somewhere state funded. Cali has the CSU system and the UC system so tuition is cheaper because they are state funded. My friend did undergrad at community college, transferred to a UC for his degree, then went to UCSD for med school. I haven't asked him how far he's in debt, but I'd imagine it's over $100k at this point.

August 30, 2011 @ 11:27 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

I haven't asked him how far he's in debt, but I'd imagine it's over $100k at this point.

that fuckin sucks...lol

imagine being in your early twenties being in that much debt w/o a job...suprised
August 30, 2011 @ 11:32 PM
jaded

that fuckin sucks...lol

imagine being in your early twenties being in that much debt w/o a job...suprised

He's already stressed because he's training to be an anesthesiologist, and they want to start training nurse anesthetists more and more because they can do the same job for a fraction of what they have to pay a MD to do it.

If the US wants to make healthcare cheaper and cheaper, doctors are going to take a big hit. It's still an admirable field to get into, but if money is your main motivation, you're going to be disappointed. Even the doctors that spoke at the pre-med conference I went to said don't get into this for the money, because it takes way too long to finish and the return on investment isn't what people think it is.

August 30, 2011 @ 11:36 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

He's already stressed because he's training to be an anesthesiologist, and they want to start training nurse anesthetists more and more because they can do the same job for a fraction of what they have to pay a MD to do it.

If the US wants to make healthcare cheaper and cheaper, doctors are going to take a big hit. It's still an admirable field to get into, but if money is your main motivation, you're going to be disappointed. Even the doctors that spoke at the pre-med conference I went to said don't get into this for the money, because it takes way too long to finish and the return on investment isn't what people think it is.

yeah qft, you should never pick a major for the money. always choose something you'll enjoy doing.

personally, i never thought about pursing med cuz i knew it would take wayyyy to long to complete plus i didnt want to be around sick/dying people the rest of my life...

not to mention dat debt swag lol
August 30, 2011 @ 11:48 PM
zeezyo

tuition is usually 60-70K.
70K x 4 years of medical school = bout 300K including other expenses
then you got residency which is at least 4 more years of interning.

doctors wont be chipping away at their debt until theyre at least 3-4 years after working in a hospital/practice/clinic.

dont be a doctor for the money. lots of other ways to make money.

X

Please login first to reply.