Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
August 30, 2011 @ 11:51 PM
Trollinator

lol not with a 3.1 and a 1500 on your SAT. you stay scrubbin b

casket

this nikka trolling

I want to see the world burn

August 30, 2011 @ 11:51 PM
The Chosen One

suspended

what exactly is a "residency"?

is it just working for free for experience? aka internship?
August 31, 2011 @ 12:09 AM
jaded

what exactly is a "residency"?

is it just working for free for experience? aka internship?

You're in a hospital working along side doctors to learn how to do everything and each specialty has different requirements. For example, not everyone has to do general surgery as part of their residency, someone who is going to become a surgeon would, but someone becoming an anesthesiologist would not. You're practicing medicine, but it's under the supervision of a licensed physician.

Surgeons usually have to do a residency followed by a fellowship. In their fellowship they learn and practice the specific area of surgery they are going into. My neighbor is an orthopaedic surgeon and he went to medical school for 4 years, then did a residency for 5 years, then did his fellowship in sports Medicine, knee & shoulder reconstruction for 1 year. All at different places too, so it took him 10 years to become an ortho surgeon, which is an extremely competitive field. You have to do very well in med school to get a spot in an ortho program from what I've been told.

Surgeons generally have the longest residency period (5 years) followed by a 1-2 year fellowship. Your general physician that you'd see when you're sick will usually have a 3 year residency and then they can go out and start working.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

August 31, 2011 @ 02:06 AM
ClydeFrazier

just major in business admin ♥♥♥♥♥s. screw that 10 years of hard work, no pay bs.

you know how common and easy that major is? cmon son

Melo Gang All Day

August 31, 2011 @ 02:39 AM
jaded

you know how common and easy that major is? cmon son

That doesn't mean anything. My friend majored in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and I don't even think he makes $50k a year as a research associate working for a large biotech company. Choosing an uncommon and difficult major doesn't necessarily mean that you will earn a higher salary.

August 31, 2011 @ 03:04 AM
The Chosen One

suspended

fuck school. im gonna train to be a pro athlete
August 31, 2011 @ 09:50 AM
jtangtwenty3

if your looking for money dont be a doctor. study internet law. that shit gonna be useful.

or ya be a pro athlete or rapper they the only only ones gettin out.
August 31, 2011 @ 09:56 AM
ReZ

man yall complaining?

im going to John Hopkins.... Welcome to hell razz

nice, my aunt went there. she works as a consultant for kaiser hospitals now
August 31, 2011 @ 10:47 AM
thenorthside

i went to a pre-med conference once where they really emphasized choosing extracurricular activities that you genuinely care about as opposed to activities that you assume an admissions committee wants to see. That way, if you reach the interview stage, you can talk passionately about what you've done as opposed to just telling them that you did it. don't just assume that medical schools want to see a bunch of medical related volunteer work. You're already going to be an emt, so do things away from work that you enjoy that you can tell them about.

Some ideas:
Boys & girls club
homeless shelter
food drives
toy drives
some cities have volunteer groups that take kids on outdoor hikes and stuff

i'm sure you can find plenty of volunteer opportunities in your area. They are always happy to have extra help.

cool

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

August 31, 2011 @ 12:22 PM
Swag Prophet

except it's called Johns Hopkins.

i was about to say that haha.

I go to UCDMC. congrats on UPenn, paramedic

also for everyone going into medicine for money you are doing it for the wrong reasons. Making that six figure salary should be last on the list.

Supreme http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/supreme-bbc-jcrew-burberry-huf-sf-the-hundreds-xl-l/?topic_page=2#post-3250500

August 31, 2011 @ 12:25 PM
Swag Prophet

Isn't school 4 years, two years of lecture and two years of clinical and then you graduate? The time after that is residency and the length depends on your specialty, I don't think tuition is involved at that point. I think including school and residency it can take anywhere from 7-10 years depending on your specialty, but I'm pretty sure tuition is only involved in the first 4 years at a med school. I could be wrong though.

tuition is for the first four years, and after that depending on the type of residency, you still have to pay, i.e. certain fellowships.

Supreme http://hypebeast.com/forums/apparel/supreme-bbc-jcrew-burberry-huf-sf-the-hundreds-xl-l/?topic_page=2#post-3250500

August 31, 2011 @ 02:13 PM
tmwtg

I have a ton of respect for people going to med school.

Shit is not easy at all. I can never do that. Kudos.
August 31, 2011 @ 02:27 PM
MADNESS

Goodluck.
August 31, 2011 @ 03:22 PM
JayLovesPinays

I'll be in Med the next 2 years if all goes well.
August 31, 2011 @ 03:39 PM
ksj

Oh hi guys, I lie about going to medical school when I type like a fucking retarded illiterate fuck.

And its Johns Hopkins
August 31, 2011 @ 03:44 PM
TwiggyDig

UPenn Medicine here.

your a fuckin beast &)
August 31, 2011 @ 03:46 PM
jawesome

Got my white coat today. cool

Instagram: prxsh

August 31, 2011 @ 04:23 PM
jaded

Word. We got prologue right now for three weeks at my pharmacy school... Fml when I gotta start LEARNING how to study and not bullshit...

lol. pharm school. are you going to learn to raise cattle? fucking stupid idiot.

September 1, 2011 @ 01:45 AM
DaTruth1

Damn, $40k tuition??? Canadian med school is like, $13k a year shiiiit
September 3, 2011 @ 11:57 PM
Paramedic

your a fuckin beast &)

Thanks smile I’ve been preparing all of my life to go there. I’m hoping to become an Emergency Medical Doctor in the USAF.
September 4, 2011 @ 11:03 AM
kwblah

Thanks smile I
September 4, 2011 @ 02:21 PM
zzzboy

lol SOD, you are guaranteed a job as a medical graduate. dat controlled class sizes.
September 5, 2011 @ 02:04 PM
Paramedic

Where'd you work as a medic?

I still am, I work for Jefferson Hospital in PA.
September 5, 2011 @ 02:09 PM
jaded

I still am, I work for Jefferson Hospital in PA.

you can work as a paramedic in the hospital, or the hospital has its own ambulance service?

here the ambulance company is privately owned, and they hire all the paramedics. EMTs can work at a hospital as a tech though.

September 5, 2011 @ 02:30 PM
Paramedic

you can work as a paramedic in the hospital, or the hospital has its own ambulance service?

here the ambulance company is privately owned, and they hire all the paramedics. EMTs can work at a hospital as a tech though.

Hospital has it’s own ambulance service called JeffSTAT. Alot of ambulance services here are either non-profit or private. We call the private ambulance services rent-a-medics because half of them are not even in uniform and just do patient transport which is a fucking rip-off in itself. Private ambulances are basically glorified taxi’s.

You may not think uniforms are important but they ease patient anixety. Would you rather have a guy dressed clean and neat working on you or some hump wearing a t-shirt and jeans.
September 5, 2011 @ 02:38 PM
jaded

Hospital has it

September 5, 2011 @ 03:11 PM
Paramedic

The company here has uniforms that they all wear, the company pays for them. We have private transport companies here that do real basic stuff like taking someone from a senior citizen community to their doctors appointment, but the emergency stuff and even BLS stuff is handled by a private company that runs the dispatch center and everything.

Doesn
September 5, 2011 @ 03:15 PM
jaded

Doesn

September 5, 2011 @ 03:40 PM
thenorthside

that $200grand line of credit cool

9 to 5 is how to survive, i ain't tryin' to survive. i'm tryin' to live it to the limit and love it a lot

September 5, 2011 @ 03:49 PM
Youngfresh6def

Hopefully I will be on the same path 5 years from now cool

Please login first to reply.