August 25, 2011 @ 12:04 AM
Trollinator

Apple will either rise up or fall down

I want to see the world burn

August 25, 2011 @ 12:10 AM
curtis50cent

I like how noones talking about how this could mean Steve could die soon. He wouldn't have left the company if whatever was holding him back wasn't serious.

this
August 25, 2011 @ 05:48 AM
goldANDsacks

Apple will either rise up or fall down

astute observation
August 25, 2011 @ 06:04 AM
goldANDsacks

nah only nerds, business people, and fan boys know who steve jobs is.

"the Apple CEO has been mentioned repeatedly on the [Time Magazine's 100 most influential people list] throughout the past decade, in 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008. As of 2010, Jobs has been listed five times—tied with Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama—and is only three behind Oprah Winfrey, who’s been on the list a whopping eight times."

nah Steve Jobs is pretty famous.

I don't think most people understand what a CEO does. He doesn't sit at his desk designing shit then sells them. CEOs just make big decisions for companies and aren't involved with development or day to day business at all. He might have been the person to green light the iphone but there's no way it was his idea.

its not the design of the iphone that makes so successful. i mean, there are plenty of other phones that are just as nice spec-wise (or even better) now. but its these "big decisions" on the release and sales strategy that made the iphone so great. also of note, steve jobs was directly related to the idea of an "apple store". that turned out pretty well for them.

I'm not saying Steve Jobs aint shit. Im just saying no man is the whole company and I'm sure the other executives and the board are capable of keeping the momentum he built or at least keeping the company going. No way Apple is going to be extinct is 4 years. You trippin.

he left apple once before in the 80's while they were at the top of the personal computer game. they failed without him and reached their lowest point ever within 10 years. he then came back in the late 90's and apple became the monster it is now (again). i can't predict the future, but if history says anything....
August 25, 2011 @ 08:43 AM
aTTag.

Listen. Steve Jobs is the most genius marketer of this generation.

He is the reason the brand is so successful. He implemented the highly successful product placement strategy. He can predict future consumer/market behavior. He has been integral (to put it lightly) in EVERYTHING that has made APPLE a big player in tech.

Anyone who is educated knows Steve Jobs. The fact is, Apple is a public company. The shareholders dictate Apple's worth, and guess what? a JOBLESS Apple is very bleak (when you look at the history).

And you must understand one thing. Microsoft has shown signs of life and revival. They already have the biggest selling platform in Video Games (XBOX), new TV service being launched, Windows 8, and they have just partnered with one of the biggest cell phone manufacturers in the world (NOKIA).

Apple is already lacking in innovation and globalization lately (just look at the Samsung Galaxy S series sales worldwide compared to the iPhone) and is dealing with so many patent suits in the smartphone industry (for and against). Also, the Tablet market is soon to be undercut with cheap Android competitors.

Yes...Apple is on the decline.

You can't replace Jesus.

Remain trill.
August 25, 2011 @ 09:23 AM
GrainBelt

tim cook eatin good

In the traditional salary sense, Tim isn't eating better than anyone else.

Steve's salary was $1 throughout most of his career. On the other hand, his stock options were through the roof.

I'm assuming that Tim's salary is somewhat similar to Steve's, although his raise and promotion of stock options would surely explode.

Either way, both of those dudes are doing just fine.
August 25, 2011 @ 09:50 AM
cebollo

GoldANDsacks and attag are the only ones with any common sense in this thread...

Apple is already lacking in innovation and globalization lately (just look at the Samsung Galaxy S series sales worldwide compared to the iPhone) and is dealing with so many patent suits in the smartphone industry (for and against). Also, the Tablet market is soon to be undercut with cheap Android competitors.

Apple's strong suit has never been innovation, imo. Apple is just good at making technology accessible for non-tech oriented people. A lot of that has to do with Steve Jobs' vision. It is definitely going to be a scary time for Apple's stockholders, but there is a huge difference in where Apple is now and where Apple was the last time jobs left. The PC market has changed dramatically, to the point where HP is thinking stopping their PC manufacturing operations. Apple saw that coming, and shifted towards making consumer electronics, and PC tie-ins. A lot of that strategy change probably came directly from Jobs.

3rd quarter of 2011:

Total revenue: $28.57 billion
Revenue from Mac sales: 3.95 million sold x $1250 (rough average price across the board) = $4.94 billion

That's only 17% of total revenue.

Also 62% of the quarter's revenue came from overseas sales.

The big question is whether Apple will continue to be able to make new markets like they did with the iPad.
August 25, 2011 @ 10:05 AM
orucker

No one's saying he's the whole company, just that he's way more important than most tech CEOs. This article describes how he's named on 313 patents, many as lead inventor. They're not the most technological things in the world, i.e. the glass staircases in Apple stores, but to say that he's not involved with the products is just not true.

www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/technology/apple-patents-show-steve-jobss-attention-to-design.html
August 25, 2011 @ 10:22 AM
deadpooL

Steve Jobs is not entirely apple... The company is balkanized like most companies, and people are incharge of different things... so he has green light power but so does the rest of the board. It's not like he's backstage designing shit (Appl has a head designer) and coming up with absolutely everything, most tech products are only made possible by the efforts of multiple talents. You think Steve knew what kind of materials were the best to make the iPhone ? You think he knew about new materials or ways to cut glass and all that arcane knowledge necessary to make a single device possible. APPL is one of the most profitable companies in the world shit is competing with Exxon, but this loss won't prevent APPL from being profitable, as already stated most of the APPL product users don't know who Steve Jobs is. If you walk up to a random person on the street and ask them "who's the CEO of apple?" they probably will not know.

Sorry this happened to dude... Should have been Ballimer.. Guy needs to let someone else get a shot at it.

My man, you have no idea what you're talking about.
August 25, 2011 @ 10:26 AM
midwestfever

this. cool

FORUM SIGNATURE

August 25, 2011 @ 10:30 AM
bonemarrow

cool people like me don't care

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

August 25, 2011 @ 10:49 AM
jtangtwenty3

dude your getting a dell
August 25, 2011 @ 10:51 AM
Unreachable

This could mean he's in bad condition health-wise. For the Canadians, Jack Layton took a leave of absence about a month ago, and now he's passed away. It could be the same for Steve Jobs. If this is the case, my prayers go out to him
August 25, 2011 @ 02:01 PM
Beach2theBay

No one man should have all that POWER.

That's all I'm saying.
August 25, 2011 @ 02:10 PM
Beach2theBay

So apparently Tim Cook, the new CEO, is openly gay. Dang, I wonder if that'll affect Apple at all. I'd think not since most people won't know who he is and also Apple users tend to have higher incomes. The better off people are the more educated and tolerant they tend to be because they have better shit to do than worry about who other people love. This will still be interesting.

www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/01/20/Is_Apples_New_Boss_Gay/
August 25, 2011 @ 03:31 PM
Max S v2

richest fag in the world
August 25, 2011 @ 03:35 PM
JCrewkid

So apparently Tim Cook, the new CEO, is openly gay. Dang, I wonder if that'll affect Apple at all. I'd think not since most people won't know who he is and also Apple users tend to have higher incomes. The better off people are the more educated and tolerant they tend to be because they have better shit to do than worry about who other people love. This will still be interesting.

lol gtfo

My little 8 year old nephew has like two iPod Touches.
August 25, 2011 @ 03:41 PM
Homes

If anything apple fans will probably like that shit even more. they're all homos

lol gtfo

My little 8 year old nephew has like two iPod Touches.

that his higher income parents bought for him..
August 25, 2011 @ 04:43 PM
lol

If anything apple fans will probably like that shit even more. they're all homos

confused

you will never be as hypebeast as my blood cousin pankeo

August 25, 2011 @ 04:51 PM
JCrewkid

that his higher income parents bought for him..

they ain't even rich though

Apple is a joke compared to Microsoft. Fact.

Steve Jobs isn't even the richest Steve in the industry. That would be this guy:

Doubt most of you guys even know who he is.
August 25, 2011 @ 05:02 PM
D

August 25, 2011 @ 05:19 PM
aTTag.

Balmer is a clown.

Remain trill.
August 25, 2011 @ 05:29 PM
dead7

Steve made a deal with Satan and is close to "pay up" time.
August 25, 2011 @ 11:57 PM
Brooklyn_718

?? OK if you say so...

cool

I'm sure I know more about business than you... Steve said it himself the company is split up and people are in charge of different things. shit is a given... He may be a little involved in the day to day things there but he's one among many.. APPL is a billion dollar company with a board of directors and many executives.. don't think he's the dictator and can OK the production of a pink iphone with diamonds if he wanted -without explaining himself first, and that no one else is calling big shots because that's bs.

Also to say Steve play's a bigger role as a CEO than most in Tech companies is BULLSHIT..Of course dude is a genius, and a visionary...He may be one of the most popular CEO's but that's it. If you ask me Jeff Bezos > Steve Jobs but that's just me...
August 26, 2011 @ 01:56 AM
Beach2theBay

No one man should have all that POWER!!!!

Ok I saw that Steve Jobs has like 313 patents today. Still though. I think Apple's board of directors and executives can keep things going for a while. Apple literally has more money than the US government.
August 26, 2011 @ 02:09 AM
cebollo

Apple is a joke compared to Microsoft. Fact.

Apple market cap: $337.2 billion
Microsoft market cap: $205. billion

kekekeke

]

I'm sure I know more about business than you... Steve said it himself the company is split up and people are in charge of different things. shit is a given... He may be a little involved in the day to day things there but he's one among many.. APPL is a billion dollar company with a board of directors and many executives.. don't think he's the dictator and can OK the production of a pink iphone with diamonds if he wanted -without explaining himself first, and that no one else is calling big shots because that's bs.

Steve Jobs
Chairman of the Board
Apple

William V. Campbell
Chairman
Intuit, Inc.

Tim Cook
CEO
Apple

Millard S. Drexler
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
J. Crew

Albert Gore, Jr.
Former Vice President of the United States

Andrea Jung
Avon Products, Inc.

Arthur D. Levinson, Ph.D.
Genentech, Inc.

Ronald D. Sugar, Ph.D.
Former Chairman and CEO
Northrop Grumman Corporation
August 26, 2011 @ 09:50 AM
aTTag.

?? OK if you say so...

cool

Also to say Steve play's a bigger role as a CEO than most in Tech companies is BULLSHIT..Of course dude is a genius, and a visionary...He may be one of the most popular CEO's but that's it. If you ask me Jeff Bezos > Steve Jobs but that's just me...

Comeon son...That statement right there is blasphemy.

Besos created a giant, but he is nowhere near Jobs. Larry Page is the only one close, and he doesn't have the presence that Jobs has.

Do you pay attention to markets? Apple created every market that Amazon is trying to get in (except the kindle).

STEVE JOBS IS THE REASON APPLE HAS SO MANY HIGH POWERED/SKILLED EXECS. They literally all came in flocks just to get a chance to work with his genius. Cook has a lot of work to do convincing them he's a suitable replacement if he's going to keep them from leaving.

Apple is good for the next 5-7 years. But things can change quickly in the Tech marketplace.
August 26, 2011 @ 01:28 PM
Brooklyn_718

Apple market cap: $337.2 billion
Microsoft market cap: $205. billion

kekekeke

Steve Jobs
[B]Chairman of the Board

Apple

William V. Campbell
Chairman
Intuit, Inc.

Tim Cook
CEO
Apple

Millard S. Drexler
J. Crew

Albert Gore, Jr.
Former Vice President of the United States

Andrea Jung
Avon Products, Inc.

Arthur D. Levinson, Ph.D.
Genentech, Inc.

Ronald D. Sugar, Ph.D.
Former Chairman and CEO
Northrop Grumman Corporation[/B]

^^^Here let me help you with that....

Also if you knew anything Apple is rich off of ipods and ipads and iphones they are not even close to Microsoft in the software market... Apple is in the single digits (Percentage wise) as far as overall operating system users (on a global scale) they are lightyears behind microsoft in that market... And the only reason why they are ahead in other markets is because Microsoft didn't put enough pressure there. But in the next few years shit will even out in the phone and tablet market with WP7 and Andriod...

The whole point is that Steve has a ton of people working with him.. He plays a role but ♥♥♥♥♥s in here acting like he's on everything, created everything and what not.. He can have over 300 patents but that's strictly because he voiced his opinion during the creative process. Johnathan Ive (a lead designer) is arguably the most important person at apple... The whole company is known for it's design and he designed all of the shit sold at the store...

Comeon son...That statement right there is blasphemy.

Besos created a giant, but he is nowhere near Jobs. Larry Page is the only one close, and he doesn't have the presence that Jobs has.

Do you pay attention to markets? Apple created every market that Amazon is trying to get in (except the kindle).

STEVE JOBS IS THE REASON APPLE HAS SO MANY HIGH POWERED/SKILLED EXECS. They literally all came in flocks just to get a chance to work with his genius. Cook has a lot of work to do convincing them he's a suitable replacement if he's going to keep them from leaving.

Apple is good for the next 5-7 years. But things can change quickly in the Tech marketplace.

You can argue that he's no where near if you look at the worth of the companies but that's it... Jeff has beaten monoliths in online retail (I.E... Walmart) and he's branched out the company to lead in web services (Netflix is hosted on Amazon web servers among many other popular sites).. He started from Books and now there doing everything. Also Apple hasn't created "every market" Amazon is trying to get in. Amazon had a cloud drive wayy before Apple...And apple put emphasis on reading books when the Kindle was on fire.. Apple hasn't created anything Amazon is trying to do...
August 26, 2011 @ 01:41 PM
undercover.

The problem is that Steve Jobs was the face and health of an entire company. People saw him and they saw apple, so when he goes people are obviously worried, it reflects in many peoples minds the state of the company, the mac cult, he was someone to believe in.

But best wishes towards steve, he's served as a role model for me for many years.
August 26, 2011 @ 01:57 PM
cebollo

^^^Here let me help you with that....

Also if you knew anything Apple is rich off of ipods and ipads and iphones they are not even close to Microsoft in the software market... Apple is in the single digits (Percentage wise) as far as overall operating system users (on a global scale) they are lightyears behind microsoft in that market... And the only reason why they are ahead in other markets is because Microsoft didn't put enough pressure there. But in the next few years shit will even out in the phone and tablet market with WP7 and Andriod...

Your problem is you are looking in the wrong place for revenue generation.

"Windows and Windows Live Division revenue declined 1% for the fourth quarter and revenue for the full year decreased 2%. Excluding the impact of the prior year Windows 7 launch and revenue deferral, we estimate full-year revenue growth was in line with PC market growth of 2% to 4%. "

2-4% is basically stagnant.

It's not even a question, Apple has outdone Microsoft in recent years. The numbers speak for themselves. It's not up for debate.

Like aTTag said, the question is whether Apple will be able to open new markets. There's no question that if they are continue to do so, Microsoft will be playing catchup, always.

Please login first to reply.