FALL SALE - 20% OFF - USE CODE: FALL20 (24 HOURS LEFT)
June 14, 2011 @ 12:07 AM
db_cooper

My major is Film Studies, and my minor is visual production. I do not major in Odd Future, that'd be silly.

And @ Shoutbox: Your comment somehow made me laugh. Somewhere in your head you think there's significance in joining Hypebeast a year before I did. And honestly my comment wasn't towards you, he asked the question, so I responded to the best of my ability.

June 14, 2011 @ 12:07 AM
db_cooper

OK. I'm going to break down for you everything in that video.

First, from a production standpoint the camera angles and blurs in that video were on point. Most music now a days focus too much on getting too much a picture, rather than directing the viewers eyes towards certain pieces. That alone made it stand out from a lot of other videos.

Second, his actual delivery in that song is natural and free flowing. He doesn't try to imitate or invent a dance, he uses legit hand signs to speak out his words. This is something a lot of rappers have lost the art of how to do. The hand signs he uses are clear, easy to follow, but at the same time unique and enjoyable.

The cockroach is just shock value. Eating the cockroach is more shock value.

See reasons 1 and 2 again.

Here to me is the actual brilliance point of the video. More dope hand signs, but he actual begins to deconstruct the rap genre within a music video. Taking off his shirt only to a bunch of chains is actually
a criticism on main stream rap. Rappers often will ridiculously remove their shirt (sometimes throwing it into crowds) as if to add some extra bonus to their show. Moreover, Tyler does not wear chains. This is more of a testimony to the fact that rappers have these stupid bullshit personas they upkeep by trying to impress their fans were worthless shit. This actually becomes a segway into the introduction of his Wolf Haley personality, which by the end of the video he finally embraces.

And then comes into his realizations he's becoming things he hates in a world of people that bug him, he kills himself. This last part I'm not so sure of, because only his actions in the video speak for his suicide and not his verse (until we hear the extended version where he gives a reason for his suicide in the video).

June 14, 2011 @ 12:57 AM

Inactive

First, from a production standpoint the camera angles and blurs in that video were on point. Most music now a days focus too much on getting too much a picture, rather than directing the viewers eyes towards certain pieces. That alone made it stand out from a lot of other videos.

Second, his actual delivery in that song is natural and free flowing. He doesn't try to imitate or invent a dance, he uses legit hand signs to speak out his words. This is something a lot of rappers have lost the art of how to do. The hand signs he uses are clear, easy to follow, but at the same time unique and enjoyable.

Here to me is the actual brilliance point of the video. More dope hand signs, but he actual begins to deconstruct the rap genre within a music video. Taking off his shirt only to a bunch of chains is actually
a criticism on main stream rap. Rappers often will ridiculously remove their shirt (sometimes throwing it into crowds) as if to add some extra bonus to their show. Moreover, Tyler does not wear chains. This is more of a testimony to the fact that rappers have these stupid bullshit personas they upkeep by trying to impress their fans were worthless shit. This actually becomes a segway into the introduction of his Wolf Haley personality, which by the end of the video he finally embraces.

And then comes into his realizations he's becoming things he hates in a world of people that bug him, he kills himself. This last part I'm not so sure of, because only his actions in the video speak for his suicide and not his verse (until we hear the extended version where he gives a reason for his suicide in the video).

damn ♥♥♥♥♥ go back to oft,not sure if srs tho...

he even said everything in the video has no meaning lol. ill show you the video if you dont believe me.
June 14, 2011 @ 01:00 AM
Axraexl

Deep shit right here

Run away from the land of Sodom and Gomorrah, the land of the sinking sand

June 14, 2011 @ 02:31 AM
AG_23

aww shit penis rodeo.
June 14, 2011 @ 02:35 AM
hooperr

The video doesn't have any bullshit underlying themes and symbolism, its just stuff tyler thought looked cool.
June 14, 2011 @ 12:19 PM
hasbeens

These '11 OFT ♥♥♥♥♥s, be postin like crazy aswell. More posts than me and been here for a week.
June 14, 2011 @ 01:47 PM
bonemarrow

These '11 OFT ♥♥♥♥♥s, be postin like crazy aswell. More posts than me and been here for a week.

♥♥♥♥♥ shut the fuck up don't be mad you ain't posting shit of relavance

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

June 14, 2011 @ 02:13 PM
Obeyprop

Jump up in the air and fuckin stay there.
June 14, 2011 @ 02:23 PM
no1collector

The video doesn't have any bullshit underlying themes and symbolism, its just stuff tyler thought looked cool.

Agreed.

The additional meanings attributed to the video are either people justifying why they think it is ground-breaking or people who actually interpret a deeper meaning from it.

TLDR; People will see the video in certain ways that the creator did not intend, but that happens with almost every medium of art.

I still like the video though.
June 14, 2011 @ 03:51 PM
Hellah Fresh

Jump up in the air and fuckin stay there.

Made me laugh in rl lulz.
June 14, 2011 @ 04:01 PM
Constellations

damn, you really like hand signals dont you? you should drop out and become a crossing guard

\X/

June 14, 2011 @ 04:01 PM
Eperviers

June 14, 2011 @ 04:18 PM
Bonkers

I didn't say there were underlying themes, nor did I really say it meant anything. The only part I even said had any meaning to it was him wearing the chains. Besides that I just said it was a well made video. Read what I wrote.

he even said everything in the video has no meaning lol. ill show you the video if you dont believe me.

First do not call me a ♥♥♥♥♥. Second I am not a member of oft. Third I do not watch interviews to be told what to think I like to think that for myself. Obviously you are the one more obsessed if you'd bother to follow them so much that you can reference an offside video not related at all to music.

And actually in retrospect I don't even go into the Wolf Gang Thread. You do.
If you're going to try to say someone is obsessed with Odd Future, you should try not to Dick Ride them yourself. I bet you are a member of that forum.

And I already said I didn't think the video had any specific meaning except for that one part. So I don't need you to reference a video to show me something that I already knew.
June 14, 2011 @ 04:22 PM
Bonkers

First do not call me a ♥♥♥♥♥. Second I am not a member of oft. Third I do not watch interviews to be told what to think I like to think that for myself. Obviously you are the one more obsessed if you'd bother to follow them so much that you can reference an offside video not related at all to music.

And I already said I didn't think the video had any specific meaning except for that one part. So I don't need you to reference a video to show me something that I already knew.
June 14, 2011 @ 05:26 PM
Mr. Nice Watch

My major is Film Studies, and my minor is visual production. I do not major in Odd Future, that'd be silly.

And @ Shoutbox: Your comment somehow made me laugh. Somewhere in your head you think there's significance in joining Hypebeast a year before I did. And honestly my comment wasn't towards you, he asked the question, so I responded to the best of my ability.

My major is film studies and visual production and Yonkers was a horrible video.
The zoom focus/etc, has been done before. Who hasn't seen that effect?

Also, eating the cockroach was horribly done. It looked too fake and cheesy.
June 14, 2011 @ 05:31 PM
Bonkers

My major is film studies and visual production and Yonkers was a horrible video.

I haven't seen a rap music video in years that I actually liked. Guess we can agree to disagree since I liked it.
June 14, 2011 @ 05:34 PM
Mr. Nice Watch

I'm not saying it's been done recently, but you're emphasizing
the zoom crap as if it's never been done before in rap history.

Just sayin.
June 14, 2011 @ 05:41 PM
Bonkers

I'm not saying it's been done recently, but you're emphasizing
the zoom crap as if it's never been done before in rap history.

Just sayin.

I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but majority of the time when I see it I think its crap. So I'd like to appreciate the fact that I like the video. Nothing wrong in that.
June 14, 2011 @ 05:59 PM
The Fiasco

you're not in college don't lie. you can't even pass the SAT shut the fuck up mr 1300.

Chicago85 at karmaloop.com for 20% off

June 14, 2011 @ 06:01 PM
Mr. Nice Watch

Have you heard of sarcasm?

Idiot.
June 14, 2011 @ 06:02 PM
The Fiasco

Have you heard of sarcasm?

Idiot.

doesn't change the fact that a pile of rocks is smarter than you.

Chicago85 at karmaloop.com for 20% off

June 14, 2011 @ 06:16 PM
Mr. Nice Watch

We'll see when the June SAT scores come out, noob.
June 14, 2011 @ 06:42 PM
Kwyjibo

shut the FUCK up

I've gone out the window

June 14, 2011 @ 07:08 PM
mrscrouge

-__-. wouldnt wanna heaar you dissertating someone like david lynch. holy shitt.
June 14, 2011 @ 07:19 PM

Inactive

you're not in college don't lie. you can't even pass the SAT shut the fuck up mr 1300.

lmao

Please login first to reply.