Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
June 4, 2011 @ 12:58 AM
thephreak

on point. I'm actually guilty of this at this moment. I go to UCI, grades been sliding every quarter and im almost done with my second year. at a 2.789 gpa now, just waiting for this quarter to end and start to get back on track.

I look how you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable and most importantly, I am free in all the ways you are not.

June 4, 2011 @ 12:59 AM
Shoutbox

Wow grammar police,I hope u do as well in ur classes as u do in a hb thread, yes and ur still a simp, u don't have to agree with me, that's why Its called an opinion, if u can't find balance and if u don't take at least school or check some of my post mr. Professor, even a trade school is better then not achieving a personal goal jack wad,all I am saying if can't dedicate ur self whether being a made man with ur own business or striving to graduate at a young age, then WTF are doing with ur life, tryin to help somebody realize this shit bc I have been through it,with age comes wisdom, hopefully ur sheep ass will see this,never said not to have fun but if u are in school take it seriously at least for ur parents
Edit: I used all commas and grammatical errors on purpose.

lol let it go man. its not that serious.
June 4, 2011 @ 04:57 AM
tree fiddy

93044.tumblr.com/post/6064864622/not-trying-in-school-or-need-motivation-read-this

lol some kid reblogged this from you. you are now tumblr famous jaded
June 4, 2011 @ 12:11 PM
Yerm

I am heading into my senior year of college. Im having a hard time trying to decide if I want to go into an MBA program or get my Masters degree in another field like Advertising/Communications right after graduation. I am a Business Marketing major and Advertising minor.

As a marketing major, I still have to take the bullshit courses like Finance and Accounting which I hate and do not interest me at all. I know if I do an MBA it will 'help' me land a better paying job but Ill have to take bullshit classes like finance & accounting again, and they dont really relate to the work field that I want to enter which is Advertising. But everyone says get the MBA.
June 4, 2011 @ 12:21 PM
Ecks

I read most of it, and I thank you for writing this. I've been thinking about how life would be in college. Things are definitely easier said than done, and that's what's got me worried. Although I've been slacking off in high school, I'm planning on busting my ass in college this fall; spending most of my time during the week in the lib. I'm hoping all goes as planned...
June 4, 2011 @ 12:28 PM
ACTiON FUNKENSTEiN

this goes for anyone who has a degree right now--at this point, do you think a degree is really worth the time, money, and effort these days? i feel like nowadays a degree is a dime a dozen. not to mention everyone else is trying to get one. there's even people on youtube swearing their degree is worthless and burn them on camera lol. plus i just feel like a degree doesn't get you really far in today's economy..

an alternative i'm looking at right now is either getting into a trade school, and work toward some sort of crash-course degree so i can join the work force and get my money up

i've yet to decide a career path for me so i feel like that's the reason for my lack of motivation in school. and lacking motivation for school is balls.

I'm a blue collar worker. I love it. I tried college and I tried the desk job and I hated them both. A lot of frail people around nowadays who are afraid to break a sweat. The truth is that baby boomers are retiring at the rate of about 10,000 people a month. This is opening up a lot of trades and no one our age wants to fill these positions.

I'm a tele/data apprentice, which is one of the lowest paying trades, but the journeyman here still get about $24/hr which is good considering the cost of living where I live. The electricians get $33/hr. The carpenters get $27/hr. The plumbers get $30/hr. The sprinkler fitters get $50/hr and the elevator technicians get $135/hr. Fuck, even the laborers get $25/hr and all they do is sweep shit up and move materials.

Go two hours west to Boston and the tele/data techs are making about $32/hr, electricians $60/hr, etc.
June 4, 2011 @ 01:35 PM
mopreme

1. Realize college does nothing more than place your resume above a couple of others. The rank of your resume against all will be dependent on college, major, and grades (in that order).
2. Who you know will bump you into a separate pile all together.
3. Qualification and Skill Set - Having the specific skill set and the right sort of experience gets you into the pile with those who have parents or friends already in the company.

What you can do while in college -

1. Get off the computer - Go do something worthwhile. Read a pamphlet on submitting an app to Apple. Learn how to do some pivot tables and multi-level sorts. Basically learn some shit that people in the workforce need to do every day from 9 to 5.
2. Talk to your professor - Believe it or not your professor was once young. Make the first step at speaking to him/her. Professors have friends, and if you are liked you will be recommended. I highly suggest visiting old professors. They have no recollection that you were in their class, so you could have sucked donkey dick in Intro to Physics for all they know. Just make up some shit about how you read a paper and recognized his name and wanted to ask some questions (Actually have some goddamn questions).
3. Be prepared - So many kids these days lack preparation. I understand that college will not provide real life experiences when a specific question arises, but have an answer prepared. "I never worked professionally with someone outside of the country, however my senior project involved working with some off-site IT people in India. It was difficult to find the right time to meet, but I created a google calendar that mapped our times after our first couple of meetings. From the second week till the end of the project we regularly communicated 4 times a week, and every two weeks we had a project review."
4. Who You Know - I cam going to iterate this again. Who you know is extremely important. That's why befriending a professor is in your best interest. Networking is a full-time thing. Following up, and chatting up people is how networking works. It does not mean you remember some goddamn PSN username. It starts with going out. Meeting a person. Contacting them with random bullshit. Keep contacting them forever (yes, forever). Remember birthdays, hobbies, activities. It means being a friend, without being in their lives. That is how a job comes up and your name pops in their head. It takes work.

PM for more. I got tons of life experiences.
June 4, 2011 @ 02:07 PM
jaded

I am heading into my senior year of college. Im having a hard time trying to decide if I want to go into an MBA program or get my Masters degree in another field like Advertising/Communications right after graduation. I am a Business Marketing major and Advertising minor.

As a marketing major, I still have to take the bullshit courses like Finance and Accounting which I hate and do not interest me at all. I know if I do an MBA it will 'help' me land a better paying job but Ill have to take bullshit classes like finance & accounting again, and they dont really relate to the work field that I want to enter which is Advertising. But everyone says get the MBA.

Personally, I would get an MBA in something other than what you majored in, just to make yourself more well rounded, assuming your school lets you pick a focus.

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

June 4, 2011 @ 02:36 PM
scfdefinit

Good advice, I'm about to graduate and I'm trying to dig myself out of the hole I dug for myself. I have about a year to try to get back to a 3.0 from a sub 2.9.

I also recommended working and trying to get internships early (I also messed up here, smh). Your Degree/GPA can't be the only thing you ride on when you start looking for a career. Even if you have a masters, if you've never worked a day in your life that's pretty shady. What you're going to need to distinguish yourself from the pack is experience. To get interviewed for a job you have to look good on paper. Get to know your professors so you can try to get references, work for them in labs, do research, etc. Get an internship your sophomore/junior year. Don't be afraid to apply, there's nothing to lose. The worst case that can happen is you don't get that position but keep trying. Don't waste your summers! Either take classes or work. Classes are usually easier during the summer (easy As/Bs!) and work experience is invaluable. Start early, get some regular jobs at first. Then try to get internships or do research in your field. Then you'll have a strong case for an entry level position when you graduate.
June 4, 2011 @ 02:43 PM
jaded

Good advice, I'm about to graduate and I'm trying to dig myself out of the hole I dug for myself. I have about a year to try to get back to a 3.0 from a sub 2.9.

I also recommended working and trying to get internships early (I also messed up here, smh). Your Degree/GPA can't be the only thing you ride on when you start looking for a career. Even if you have a masters, if you've never worked a day in your life that's pretty shady. What you're going to need to distinguish yourself from the pack is experience. To get interviewed for a job you have to look good on paper. Get to know your professors so you can try to get references, work for them in labs, do research, etc. Get an internship your sophomore/junior year. Don't be afraid to apply, there's nothing to lose. The worst case that can happen is you don't get that position but keep trying. Don't waste your summers! Either take classes or work. Classes are usually easier during the summer (easy As/Bs!) and work experience is invaluable. Start early, get some regular jobs at first. Then try to get internships or do research in your field. Then you'll have a strong case for an entry level position when you graduate.

Internships are something I definitely wish I would have looked into. My cousin did, and he's still working for the place he interned for. I think he's going on 5 years there now. Really great way to set yourself up for a good job while you're still going to school.

July 25, 2011 @ 01:36 AM
kidsmissy

bump, so as of right now I'm attemption to start school next month for fall. The long journey to get an AS begins. And AS is the goal here. I can't sacrifice any more then that. Im 28 trying to start school from scratch. I'm still up in the air about my degree. I'm thinking Biotechnology or Chemistry. But I heard the Biotech field would be shit if you don't have a BS and the same with Chemistry. I have 5 years working for a healthcare company working in a lab so thats a bonous when I grad when looking for work. We shall see.

twitter: @diorjoee

July 25, 2011 @ 02:16 AM
jaded

bump, so as of right now I'm attemption to start school next month for fall. The long journey to get an AS begins. And AS is the goal here. I can't sacrifice any more then that. Im 28 trying to start school from scratch. I'm still up in the air about my degree. I'm thinking Biotechnology or Chemistry. But I heard the Biotech field would be shit if you don't have a BS and the same with Chemistry. I have 5 years working for a healthcare company working in a lab so thats a bonous when I grad when looking for work. We shall see.

I would say a BS would be the absolute minimum for biotech. I went to a medical conference once and one of the speakers actually recommended a PhD for biotech. Even with experience, you have to consider the education that your competition will have when applying for the same job.

Please login first to reply.