Free Worldwide Shipping on Orders Over $150.00 USD or more - Use Code: HBSHIP150
May 31, 2011 @ 10:42 PM
kidsmissy

I agree 100% with this thread. School is extremely important in getting a high paying job. I worked for a top healthcare company last year and even though i made good money i wanted to grow in the company and get some kind of a promotion to make even better money, but the high postitions require atleast a 2 year degree and i only have a highschool diploma. I am now enrolling in a community college to persue an AA. I'm 28 now and wish when i was alot younger i went to school and got that part of my life over with so right now i could be making some very good money. If your young now i suggest you goto college and take care of that shit because it'll be worth it when your looking for a good job. Trust me you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not going in the future just like i did. props to jaded.

twitter: @diorjoee

May 31, 2011 @ 10:45 PM
jaded

I agree 100% with this thread. School is extremely important in getting a high paying job. I worked for a top healthcare company last year and even though i made good money i wanted to grow in the company and get some kind of a promotion to make even better money, but the high postitions require atleast a 2 year degree and i only have a highschool diploma. I am now enrolling in a community college to persue an AA. I'm 28 now and wish when i was alot younger i went to school and got that part of my life over with so right now i could be making some very good money. If your young now i suggest you goto college and take care of that shit because it'll be worth it when your looking for a good job. Trust me you'll be kicking yourself in the ass for not going in the future just like i did. props to jaded.

It's great that you're going back though. People use age as an excuse to get out of a lot of things, and they shouldn't. Never let age keep you from doing something you want to do. You won't regret doing it, and you'll be showing the people you work with that you're serious about moving up in the company. You can't lose, good luck!

i'm the best mayne, i deed it

May 31, 2011 @ 10:53 PM
Trespace

I don't even know exactly what I wanna be when I go to college though. I know people say you can go in undeclared and all and you can decide later, but as cheesy as it might sound I have a hard time picking what I want to be because I'm interested in a bunch of subjects. Like, I like physics and all but that's a hella hard field to study and major. My strong points are english, history, literature, stuff like that but a lot of people say that since those degrees are so abundant they can be practically useless or at least not as useful as a mathematics or science degree. Yeah I could maybe score a job someday with a liberal arts degree but Idk if i'd be happy bein like a history teacher or whatever.
May 31, 2011 @ 10:53 PM
NoStress

This is actually great advice

burr

May 31, 2011 @ 10:58 PM
jaded

I don't even know exactly what I wanna be when I go to college though. I know people say you can go in undeclared and all and you can decide later, but as cheesy as it might sound I have a hard time picking what I want to be because I'm interested in a bunch of subjects. Like, I like physics and all but that's a hella hard field to study and major. My strong points are english, history, literature, stuff like that but a lot of people say that since those degrees are so abundant they can be practically useless or at least not as useful as a mathematics or science degree. Yeah I could maybe score a job someday with a liberal arts degree but Idk if i'd be happy bein like a history teacher or whatever.

Well, you need to get two years of undergrad done before you need to start working toward your major, so hopefully you could have a pretty good idea of what you want to be by then. You could always go to community college to get that done, and then apply to a university when you're ready to declare a major.

Math and Science teachers will be in high demand for quite a while, so if you enjoy teaching and there's something in math or science that you really enjoy, you could always get a single-subject teaching credential in geometry or biology and teach high school. If you want to teach at a higher level, you'd have to get a master's degree.

Definitely don't avoid doing something just because it's hard. If you enjoy physics enough to major in it, then go for it. You may also like engineering, which incorporates a good deal of math and physics courses. My friend got a degree in civil engineering and got a job right out of school at $60k/yr. It's a lot of tough courses, but that's no reason to avoid doing it, you'll just have to put the time in. There's no shame in going to a tutor for help either, some people are just better at certain subjects than others and in my experience, tutors are always happy to help you out. Most the time they're sitting in the learning center working on homework themselves.

May 31, 2011 @ 11:02 PM
ichigo81

i wish hb could have more threads like this, it's been refreshing, yeah jaded man been looking at this program down in texas, been really weighing on me or i have been really thinking about going back home and finishing at sfsu, this has really got me motivated to go ahead and do it now, about to turn 30 and just looking back on the time i wasted(never regret life in any facet) but i am hungry again, all i can tell young cats, as u get older this shit aint easy by any means, and i have been blessed after getting laid off to get a decent job that i don't worry about bills, but stop just worrying about paper, if u are not happy in your profession or existence, no amount of money will make u feel good and i have learned that alot this pass year, to own my own buisness and to finish a goal of a mba would make me so much happier, if any advice i can give young cats is just do u and believe in self because at the end of the day all this shit we buy, all the bitches we fuck, all the nights we get drunk, doesn't make u cool or really living life, if u don't have a vaulable legacy(ie: leaving behind a non profit, helping the down and out, finding one chick u can really be with) then ur life is wasted and when u get to my age u start questioning ur mortality and what u really want to remembered by, not say have fun,enjoy life, but take that school shit seriously, not for the money, but for the self esteem of actually finishing something, so if u do have kids, u can say i did this and this is why i can buy u a supreme jacket or a pair of retro-retro-retro jordans, the quality of life is more important, i really glade this thread was madecool
May 31, 2011 @ 11:09 PM
sharky

good thread but like hikaru i have no idea what i'm gonna do in uni. i've finished my first year studying bio and i'm not sure where this can take me. it doesnt feel like i have a lot of time left to decide and taking extra years sounds expensive.
May 31, 2011 @ 11:14 PM
Shoutbox

at the end of this last semester --few weeks ago-- i had promised myself to to take my next 2 years in college seriously. i got my transcript and saw a C and some B's and i was satisfied, like i had been all through highschool. i stepped back and realized that settling was not what i went to college for, and that whole idc as long as i pass attitude was not cool, it was dumb.

the thing is that i had never, ever, really tried in school. i always passed but my report cards read the same comments "not fulfilling potential". now hopefully its not too late to kick that habit.

however, even after reading this thread, i still believe school is not the most important thing in our lives as young adults. neither should it take top priority over all else. if you dont try to take advantage of life and create meaningful relationships and experiences, you will be just as sad as looking at a crappy transcript after graduating. school is a lot of hard work, and stressful, you cant pretend to be happy doing all that in hopes that everything is gonna be better in the future. thats not the world we live in and things are only getting worse. not as bad as they say, but not as good as we think.
May 31, 2011 @ 11:14 PM
mike868y

I'm also a fan of this thread. first semester I fucked around. then I looked at one of my boys for inspiration, kid pulled a 4.0 at a prestigious university this semester. worked my ass off this past spring. didn't quite make deans list by 0.1 grade point. hoping to change that next semester.
May 31, 2011 @ 11:15 PM
OmegaSvpreme

good advice actually, thanks.
May 31, 2011 @ 11:16 PM
jaded

good thread but like hikaru i have no idea what i'm gonna do in uni. i've finished my first year studying bio and i'm not sure where this can take me. it doesnt feel like i have a lot of time left to decide and taking extra years sounds expensive.

Most departments have a department chair, see if you can schedule an appointment to talk with them about the things you can do with a bio degree. Avoid sitting around feeling sorry for yourself, find someone to talk to and make any changes you need to. It's better to find out now that bio isn't something you want to do, than to finish the degree and be miserable. You still have time to change things if you want to, so go see someone that can offer some advice.

May 31, 2011 @ 11:20 PM
jaded

at the end of this last semester --few weeks ago-- i had promised myself to to take my next 2 years in college seriously. i got my transcript and saw a C and some B's and i was satisfied, like i had been all through highschool. i stepped back and realized that settling was not what i went to college for, and that whole idc as long as i pass attitude was not cool, it was dumb.

the thing is that i had never, ever, really tried in school. i always passed but my report cards read the same comments "not fulfilling potential". now hopefully its not too late to kick that habit.

however, even after reading this thread, i still believe school is not the most important thing in our lives as young adults. neither should it take top priority over all else. if you dont try to take advantage of life and create meaningful relationships and experiences, you will be just as sad as looking at a crappy transcript after graduating. school is a lot of hard work, and stressful, you cant pretend to be happy doing all that in hopes that everything is gonna be better in the future. thats not the world we live in and things are only getting worse. not as bad as they say, but not as good as we think.

If it doesn't take top priority, then why do you look back at your grades and think of settling for B's and C's as dumb instead of acceptable? It seems like your goal is to make it your top priority, but maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying. Either way, I wish you the best. It's never too late to get back on track.

There is plenty of time to party and have fun, I'm just saying to make school the priority, not partying. I made cutting class and hanging out with my friends my priority, and school was on the back burner, and I regret it now. I can look back now and say without a doubt in my mind that I was never doing anything with my friends that was worth not getting an A or B in a class that my parents paid for me to attend.

May 31, 2011 @ 11:24 PM
Iggle

you can't do anything with just bio. trust me. you can either go the health field route or work in a lab. so basically, just the health field...

if you don't think health care is for you, i'd suggest switching majors. You're only 1 year in. It's not too late to switch and still graduate in 4 years

#pedogangweindis

May 31, 2011 @ 11:25 PM
bMeLL0

damn i didnt kno there were this many old people on this forum..

good advice but if these kids wont listen to their parents, what makes u think they'll listen to a stranger on a streetwear forum? lol
May 31, 2011 @ 11:34 PM
Trespace

School probably isn't the most important thing, it's what you're able to do with the education that you get from it thats most important imo. Idk bout you guys but learning is legit one of the best feelings there is, real talk. Like when you don't understand shit in like a course but you study your ass off and actually learn something from it ya kno? For me, that feeling always comes to late, like right after a big test or something. That's why now I'm trying to wise up and not procrastinate because I always get the feeling if I get a C or something, I KNOW I can do better than that. Also, it's not fair to anybody that invests time into me like my teachers, any tutors, or parents, or whoever If I blow off their hard work just because I'm too busy procrastinating or whatever. It's those feelings that keep me going.
May 31, 2011 @ 11:37 PM
Shoutbox

If it doesn't take top priority, then why do you look back at your grades and think of settling for B's and C's as dumb instead of acceptable? It seems like your goal is to make it your top priority, but maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying. Either way, I wish you the best. It's never too late to get back on track.

There is plenty of time to party and have fun, I'm just saying to make school the priority, not partying. I made cutting class and hanging out with my friends my priority, and school was on the back burner, and I regret it now. I can look back now and say without a doubt in my mind that I was never doing anything with my friends that was worth not getting an A or B in a class that my parents paid for me to attend.

like i said im gonna take school seriously, i never said it was my top priority. i just knew i couldve done better, and now i regret that i didnt, and that its hindering me. its just that school for me is not the top thing.

im not a studious person, if i devoted 4 years to nothing but studying and whatnot, i would be in a deep depression because thats not what i enjoy. what i was trying to say is that we shouldnt force ourselves to do something that we do not enjoy and that causes so much stress on us in hopes that itll all be worth it in the end, because in reality who knows if we will really end up as happy as that college brochure told us we were gonna be.some people enjoy studying, if thats you, then do you.

again im not saying college should be a big party,far from it. but these are the best years of our lives, we should enjoy them to a certain extent dont you think?
May 31, 2011 @ 11:44 PM
Erikuff

Good stuff OP. This is some trill shit that people need to read.
May 31, 2011 @ 11:49 PM
mike868y

I'm going into my second year as a biophysics major/philosophy minor. the fuck am I supposed to do with that?
May 31, 2011 @ 11:53 PM
ichigo81

U are right bc kids have it made these days and these aren't the best years of ur lives, that's some simp sheep thinking, tell u the best years of ur life when u can take a vacation to Hawaii and actually pay for friends and family with ur own money and still have money in ur account and just chill and have a good time with people u love, that's the best time of ur life being s man financially and mentally, not saying the shit in the books is the truth but if u have a chance to get an education it gives u a fighting chance in a cold ass world and u think the world is cold now jus wait until a female says u ain't shit and can't provide for me or when u have an eviction notice on ur door and that daddy or mommy or that dope ass supreme jacket can't help u, think about it, it's gives u a fighting chance in the world filled with competition that's all jaded and I are saying
June 1, 2011 @ 12:11 AM
A

Wow, I've never thought people from HB could actually be serious about things sometimes. Good shit jaded cool
June 1, 2011 @ 12:18 AM
Iggle

guy's acting like having fun and getting good grades are mutually exclusive. or that college has to be really stressful if you're taking your grades seriously. you dont have to study all day when you're not in class. just don't dick around. most people dont do well because rather than studying, they're sitting around jacking off, watching tv, smoking weed, etc.

some people act like you got to live like a monk to get good grades. smh

#pedogangweindis

June 1, 2011 @ 12:23 AM
vanitas

June 1, 2011 @ 12:28 AM
Awww SNAP

i read it and honestly just had that kind of mindset since i'm going to be transferring out of my CC. glad you're doing well now man. i've always knew that i need to be well off to leave a pretty good life, but it's always the job that erks me a bit. i'm a business major and hope it's not too bad and miserable. nothing else has ever really interested like many of my other friends who are mostly majoring in some sort of bio/kinesiology
June 1, 2011 @ 12:38 AM
Shoutbox

U are right bc kids have it made these days and these aren't the best years of ur lives, that's some simp sheep thinking, tell u the best years of ur life when u can take a vacation to Hawaii and actually pay for friends and family with ur own money and still have money in ur account and just chill and have a good time with people u love, that's the best time of ur life being s man financially and mentally, not saying the shit in the books is the truth but if u have a chance to get an education it gives u a fighting chance in a cold ass world and u think the world is cold now jus wait until a female says u ain't shit and can't provide for me or when u have an eviction notice on ur door and that daddy or mommy or that dope ass supreme jacket can't help u, think about it, it's gives u a fighting chance in the world filled with competition that's all jaded and I are saying

reread my post. i go to college, i agree with jaded --on most points-- and im actually trying to do better in college myself. yes taking my loved ones on extravagant vacations would be great. if you think that anything short of grinding for years, getting extremely lucky and ending up as the next mark zuckerberg or literally sucking a dick is gonna give you the chance to do that then your an ignorant ass niqqa. a college degree isnt what it used to be, we all know that. it is important to do the best we can to have a chance like you said, i just believe it would be best to balance the importance and priorities of things instead of letting our education comsume every minute of our young lives.

and also, you seem to think commas and periods are the same. they are not. and you expect me to take you seriously? simp.
June 1, 2011 @ 12:39 AM
sharky

you can't do anything with just bio. trust me. you can either go the health field route or work in a lab. so basically, just the health field...

if you don't think health care is for you, i'd suggest switching majors. You're only 1 year in. It's not too late to switch and still graduate in 4 years

not too sure about health care but research seems cool if i was doing shit out in the field. i'm into like conservation bio and ecology and shit. thing is this stuff isnt exactly amazing money.

i'm thinking about double majoring and getting something else too like sociology or maybe some business shit idk. advice?
June 1, 2011 @ 12:42 AM
Shoutbox

guy's acting like having fun and getting good grades are mutually exclusive. or that college has to be really stressful if you're taking your grades seriously. you dont have to study all day when you're not in class. just don't dick around. most people dont do well because rather than studying, they're sitting around jacking off, watching tv, smoking weed, etc.

some people act like you got to live like a monk to get good grades. smh

thank you, this is the point i was tying to get across, you just worded it better lol. balancing priorities is key, i dont think education or our social lives should immensely outweigh the other!

good thread though.
June 1, 2011 @ 12:49 AM
linh

Got to set dat priority straightt
June 1, 2011 @ 12:59 AM
jaded

I'm going into my second year as a biophysics major/philosophy minor. the fuck am I supposed to do with that?

Earn your PhD and be an independent scientist?
Earn your PhD and work at a research center?
Take the MCAT and apply to medical school?

Just from the little I've looked into it after reading your post, it sounds like you have some amazing opportunities you could explore. I think the ability to do something like cancer research would be pretty amazing.

June 1, 2011 @ 01:35 AM
Iggle

not too sure about health care but research seems cool if i was doing shit out in the field. i'm into like conservation bio and ecology and shit. thing is this stuff isnt exactly amazing money.

i'm thinking about double majoring and getting something else too like sociology or maybe some business shit idk. advice?

yeah i'm actually pretty interested in the conservation bio stuff too. there's really no money in it though and you'd probably have to take a job as an ecology professor to pay the bills. that's what my old professor did

bio is already a pretty tough major. i dont know how studious you are, but you might be spreading yourself too thin by adding another one

i dont want to discourage you or anything, but bio is one of those majors that you really shouldn't be in if you dont know what you want to do. you either need to get really good grades (health care) or have a real passion for it (lab/research). if that doesn't apply to you, there's not really too much out there. you have the summer to think about it. just dont be like my old roommate. he realized bio wasnt for him but was already in his 3rd year so he just stuck with it. now he's back at square 1, except he wasted 4 years and thousands of dollars

#pedogangweindis

June 1, 2011 @ 01:36 AM
jaded

lol jaded i thought you only posted on the official pornstars thread

every once in a while I venture out to drop some knowledge

Please login first to reply.