April 19, 2011 @ 03:15 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

im not an atheist, im just anti-religion. i do believe in god, very deeply.

Ah gotcha.that's wissup. Same here.
April 19, 2011 @ 04:15 PM
bonemarrow

there will always be religion and always doubters

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

April 19, 2011 @ 05:02 PM
NoStress

how much of HB is pinoy anyways?

My mom is kinda the same way about going to mosque, I mean its cool sometimes but I don't feel like it every friiiiday

burr

April 19, 2011 @ 05:04 PM
✡HYFR✡

no why you gotta go to church and praise jesus when i can do it in my car or in my living room

Ġhost McFly : bladelex >>>>> j dilla

April 19, 2011 @ 05:08 PM
missy.

^ =_= you don't praise jesus. jesus =/= god.

how much of HB is pinoy anyways?

My mom is kinda the same way about going to mosque, I mean its cool sometimes but I don't feel like it every friiiiday

every friday? my friend goes every day... on his own, no complaints. im finna try and do that too when i convert. but i think if you can't go to mosque, you can pray somewhere else, right?

El Chino : id let claire fuck me with a strap on while im on poppers

April 19, 2011 @ 05:13 PM
NoStress

Yeah five times a day. But like my mom likes me to go with her on fridays since thats her day off and when the most people go. Its chill, but sometimes I don't feel like it.

burr

April 19, 2011 @ 05:16 PM
✡HYFR✡

Okay.

no why you gotta go to church and praise god when i can do it in my car or in my living room

Ġhost McFly : bladelex >>>>> j dilla

April 19, 2011 @ 05:16 PM
NoStress

yeah I try to pray everyday regardless

burr

April 19, 2011 @ 06:06 PM
luvlulvluv

a conversation about religion on hypebeast? lol.......

anyways, george carlin said it best: "I like God, it's his little fanclubs I can't stand."

Don't know who George Carlin is? Stop what you're doing and watch some of his stuff on youtube. One of the best comedians of all time.
April 19, 2011 @ 06:25 PM
basspro

April 19, 2011 @ 07:10 PM
kush1086

i do believe in god, very deeply.

Why? What evidence do you have to support this?
April 19, 2011 @ 07:20 PM
NoStress

^ does it fucking matter? Why can't people just be accepting of other people's beliefs (and lack of).

Condescending athiest are just as bad as bible humpers

burr

April 19, 2011 @ 07:37 PM
ftp504

also, jesus was a jew, not a catholic.

so, if you were to truly follow jesus example, you would openly question the leaders of whatever religion that you follow

Asking if Jesus was Catholic is like asking if Abraham was Jewish. Just as Abraham was the father of the Israelis the one who set up the Jewish religion fortified by Moses and the other prophets, Jesus was the "Father" of the Catholic Church by setting it up which he did by making Peter the "Rock", the leader of it and the Apostles the first Bishops. The word Catholic came later, just as the word "Jewish" came later. Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant and in so doing started a new way of looking at His Jewish beliefs and in due time became, in our world, a new religion-Christianity, with the first and true form of it being Catholicism, which Jesus, the observant Jew, started.
April 19, 2011 @ 07:49 PM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

Unless he's a Protestant believer. They belive in trinity. The union of holy spirit + Father [GOD] + Son [Jesus] in one divine being.

I'm not sure if that goes the same for the Catholicism. As far as Protestant Christianity the description above is true.

-This just shows how there are so many different types of religion within religions. For example, there are Mormons and Jehovah's witness in christianity and there are Shia and Sunni for the muslim.

*So honestly I believe it's entirely up to each individual's preference and based on their religious beliefs. If it requires you to pray several times a day or don't consume shell fish and etc. Like If u want to go and u think it's helpful then go ahead. Or if u think otherwise praying home is better than it's all fine too.

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

April 19, 2011 @ 08:51 PM
CHEEP

Why? What evidence do you have to support this?

lots of psychedelic usage. mushrooms to be exact.

now, im not saying that there is a bearded man in the sky, but there is a supreme force that guides all of the universe.
April 19, 2011 @ 08:56 PM
CHEEP

Asking if Jesus was Catholic is like asking if Abraham was Jewish. Just as Abraham was the father of the Israelis the one who set up the Jewish religion fortified by Moses and the other prophets, Jesus was the "Father" of the Catholic Church by setting it up which he did by making Peter the "Rock", the leader of it and the Apostles the first Bishops. The word Catholic came later, just as the word "Jewish" came later. Jesus fulfilled the Old Covenant and in so doing started a new way of looking at His Jewish beliefs and in due time became, in our world, a new religion-Christianity, with the first and true form of it being Catholicism, which Jesus, the observant Jew, started.

no... catholicisim is not the first or true form. the first form was small groups of people meeting in private homes. the ethiopian orthodox came before catholicisim too... as before the word was spread to the gentiles it was spread to the ethiopian eunich, who was a jew like all ethiopians at the time. also, jesus did not intend to start a new religion, but to purify the existing one that he was born into, and to open it to all mankind, not just people of jewish decent.
April 19, 2011 @ 09:08 PM
kush1086

Why can't people just be accepting of other people's beliefs (and lack of).

Condescending athiest are just as bad as bible humpers

Specific beliefs matter, they matter a whole lot. Do you not read the newspaper or watch the news? You obviously don't realize how many problems are the direct result of what people believe about god. There are days when I open the New York Times where half of the stories relate to peoples religious convictions. I remember reading about the VT shootings, the mother of the shooter happened to be a devout Christian and because of her beliefs she shlepped her child from Church to Church in search of exorcism because she realized her son had a problem- he was demon possessed. If she would have been a non believer she would not have had this ridiculous belief of demon possession and would have gone to a psychiatrist to get her child the proper help(medication) he needed and maybe the VT shootings would have never happened.

Another example of this is would be the UK suicide bombing plot that took place in 2009. The would be suicide bombers were all doctors, one happened to be neurosurgeon. It was not a matter of economics and lack of education that led them to want to commit these crimes. It was their specific beliefs of martyrdom + jihad and their ideas on paradise and 72 virgins that was the encouraging factor for them to want to commit such despicable acts. The deeper problem and I think a far more sinister problem is that it is possible to be well educated, so well educated that you can be a neurosurgeon and still believe that you can get 72 virgins in paradise. This is made possible by the fact that we have allowed the criticism of religious belief to become taboo.
April 19, 2011 @ 10:12 PM
NoStress

Specific beliefs matter, they matter a whole lot. Do you not read the newspaper or watch the news? You obviously don't realize how many problems are the direct result of what people believe about god. There are days when I open the New York Times where half of the stories relate to peoples religious convictions. I remember reading about the VT shootings, the mother of the shooter happened to be a devout Christian and because of her beliefs she shlepped her child from Church to Church in search of exorcism because she realized her son had a problem- he was demon possessed. If she would have been a non believer she would not have had this ridiculous belief of demon possession and would have gone to a psychiatrist to get her child the proper help(medication) he needed and maybe the VT shootings would have never happened.

Another example of this is would be the UK suicide bombing plot that took place in 2009. The would be suicide bombers were all doctors, one happened to be neurosurgeon. It was not a matter of economics and lack of education that led them to want to commit these crimes. It was their specific beliefs of martyrdom + jihad and their ideas on paradise and 72 virgins that was the encouraging factor for them to want to commit such despicable acts. The deeper problem and I think a far more sinister problem is that it is possible to be well educated, so well educated that you can be a neurosurgeon and still believe that you can get 72 virgins in paradise. This is made possible by the fact that we have allowed the criticism of religious belief to become taboo.

YEAH THESE ARE ALL EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE PUSHING THEIR BELIEFS ON OTHER PEOPLE. I wasn't just talking about Athiest I meant all people of all faiths. Human beings are too dumb for religion..

burr

April 20, 2011 @ 03:00 AM
ftp504

no... catholicisim is not the first or true form. the first form was small groups of people meeting in private homes. the ethiopian orthodox came before catholicisim too... as before the word was spread to the gentiles it was spread to the ethiopian eunich, who was a jew like all ethiopians at the time. also, jesus did not intend to start a new religion, but to purify the existing one that he was born into, and to open it to all mankind, not just people of jewish decent.

Every Apostolic Church can trace its roots back to the original Apostles, that's what makes it an Apostolic Church. The Eastern Orthodox and Ethiopian Orthodox Churches are Apostolic Churches just as the Catholic Church is.

In 451 there was an Ecumenical Council held at Chalcedon on the topic of Christology. Due to a difference in language the Oriental Orthodox Churches which includes the Coptic Orthodox Church formed a schism in the Church which exists to this day. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church was until the 20th century dependent upon the Coptic Orthodox Church.

In 1054 there was the schism between the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Catholic Church, a schism which also exists to this day.
April 20, 2011 @ 10:15 AM
bonemarrow

According to the Bible Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding so i think its fair to say drinking is permitted.

lolololol

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

April 20, 2011 @ 11:01 AM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

Okay.

no why you gotta go to church and praise god when i can do it in my car or in my living room

If you are serious about your faith, God encourages getting together with groups. It doesn't have to be an ornate temple, but it's an important part of faith. Why? Encouragement. Or to be an encouragement to others. It's like a support group/family.

I wouldn't say to purify the existing religion as much as it was to complete the existing religion. Judaism was a preface if you will. It was to prove that we're totally depraved. We can't keep the law 100%. And since the punishment of sin is death, something has to atone for our sins. Jesus was that atonement. So while before it was a covenant of works, now it's a covenant of grace/faith. So the thousands of years that GOD endured with the Jews was to prove a point. And Christ made the final sacrifice as the period to that statement.

This is all true. But again, atrocities are committed by atheists too. You think it's religious people who have troops killing for oil? No. Oil is about money, not religion. Was religion a factor behind the human experiments in Japan? No. So it's unfair to say that religion is solely to blame. It's not religion. It's human nature that's to blame.
April 20, 2011 @ 11:06 AM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

According to the Bible Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding so i think its fair to say drinking is permitted.

It's true. The bible never said it's a sin to drink. The same way it's not a sin to eat. it's the excess. There's gluttony with food. And there's being a winebibber (what we would call an alcoholic) when it comes to alcohol.
April 20, 2011 @ 05:06 PM
kush1086

It amazes me that some people actually think the crimes of Hitler, Pol Pot, Mao, etc - were the result of atheism. The truth is this is a total misconstrual of what went on in those societies and of the psychological and social forces that allow people to follow their dear leader over the brain. The problem with fascism and communism was not that they were too critical of religion, the problem is they're to much like religions. These are utterly dogmatic systems of thought.

I remember reading in News Week magazine the Pastor Rick Warren argued that North Korea was a model atheist society and that any atheist with the courage of his convictions should want to move there. The truth is, North Korea is organized exactly like a faith based cult, centered on the worship of Kim Jong Il. The North Koreans apparently believe that the shipments of food aid that they receive from us to keep them from starving to death are actually devotional offerings to Kim Jong Il. Is too little faith really the problem with North Korea? Is too much skeptical inquiry what is wrong here? Auschwitz, the Gulag, and the killing fields are not the product of atheism, they are the product of other dogmas(ex. nationalism, political dogma). Hitler did not engineer genocide in Europe because of Atheism. Hitler doesn't even appear to be an atheist, he regularly invoked Jesus in his speeches but that's beside the point. Hitler did it on the basis of other beliefs; dogmas about Jews and the purity of German blood.

The history of Muslim Jihad however does have something to do with Islam. The atrocities of September 11th did have something to do with what 19 men believed about martyrdom and paradise. The fact that were not funding steam cell research at the federal level does have something to do with what Christians believe about conception and the human sole. Its important to focus on the specific consequences of specific ideas.

Im not holding religion responsible for every bad thing that a religious person has done in human history to be balanced against all the bad things that atheists have done. Im only holding religion responsible for what people do and will continue to do explicitly for religious reasons. There really is no society in human history that has ever suffered because its population became too reasonable, too reluctant to embrace dogma, or too demanding of evidence.
April 20, 2011 @ 05:23 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

There really is no society in human history that has ever suffered because its population became too reasonable, too reluctant to embrace dogma, or too demanding of evidence.

I agree with that sentiment. As you mentioned, religion is not the sole cause of evil in our world, therefore, religion should not be done away with altogether. Instead, those who are religious should be taught to be reasonable. That's it.

I've met muslims that are more reasonable and tolerant than ateists. I've met atheists that are more moral than Christians. It's not so much about comparing to see who's better as much as it is about coexisting. Now if you look at things objectively you'd see that crime and hate still permeate society whether predominantly atheistic or religious. Religion can't be the scapegoat. I've said it before and I'll say it 1000000000000x more, it's human nature that's to blame. It's the pride that refuses to admit we're wrong. It's the greed. It's the lust for power. Fame. It's the resentment we carry from childhood. It's just human nature.
April 20, 2011 @ 05:48 PM
kush1086

I agree with that sentiment. As you mentioned, religion is not the sole cause of evil in our world, therefore, religion should not be done away with altogether. Instead, those who are religious should be taught to be reasonable. That's it.

I've met muslims that are more reasonable and tolerant than ateists.

Religious thought is Irrational and should be criticized. Why on earth would you want something that is irrational to be in society? It would benefit society greatly if religious thought was dropped all together.

Most Muslims this day and age do not do what the texts say. Why? Well because they exercise their judgment as moral beings without having to refer to their intolerant hate filled holy books.
April 20, 2011 @ 05:59 PM
kush1086

I'll say it 1000000000000x more, it's human nature that's to blame. It's the pride that refuses to admit we're wrong. It's the greed. It's the lust for power. Fame. It's the resentment we carry from childhood. It's just human nature.

There is something about us as a species that is problematic that isn't just explained by religion, something about us that tempts us to do wrong. Its pretty easily explained, We are Primates, high Primates, but Primates. We are half a chromosome away from Chimpanzees, and it shows. It especially shows in the number of religions we invent to console ourselves or to give us things to quarrel with other primates about. If anything demonstrates god is man made not man god made surly it is the religions erected by this quasi chimpanzee species and the harm their willing to inflict on that basis.
April 20, 2011 @ 06:06 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

Religious thought is Irrational and should be criticized. Why on earth would you want something that is irrational to be in society? It would benefit society greatly if religious thought was dropped all together.

Most Muslims this day and age do not do what the texts say. Why? Well because they exercise their judgment as moral beings without having to refer to their intolerant hate filled holy books.

And that's where we differ. It's not irrational to come to a religious conclusion. There are plenty of scientists who started off atheist and come to the conclusion of intelligent design and even taken the next step into full blown religion. How? Rational though and study. SoYour objections to religion seem emotionally motivated. By your logic it would benefit society if we dropped schools of thought based in atheism as well....like capitalism for example. There are positive elements to religion. Rational parts, even. What needs to be done away with is the irrational. But that can be said of both religion and atheism.

Also, I don't know much about islam, but knowing the bible, it's far from hate filled. smile If you preach tolerance, then practice it. smile
April 20, 2011 @ 07:09 PM
kush1086

And that's where we differ. It's not irrational to come to a religious conclusion. There are plenty of scientists who started off atheist and come to the conclusion of intelligent design and even taken the next step into full blown religion. How? Rational though and study. SoYour objections to religion seem emotionally motivated. By your logic it would benefit society if we dropped schools of thought based in atheism as well....like capitalism for example. There are positive elements to religion. Rational parts, even. What needs to be done away with is the irrational. But that can be said of both religion and atheism.

Also, I don't know much about islam, but knowing the bible, it's far from hate filled. smile If you preach tolerance, then practice it. smile

From what I have read it seems you are confused as to what atheism is. Atheism is not a political agenda or an economic philosophy. It offers no moral guidance and has no dogma to follow. Atheism is the absence of belief in a god or gods. It is nothing more than that. As such atheism is the epitome of free thought. Any attempt to impose atheism or to undermine the rights of conscience of other individuals or groups of individuals in the name of atheism goes beyond the scope of atheism itself and must be attributed to other factors.

Intelligent Design is not science. The proponents(The Discovery Institute)of ID have no genuine interest in advancing science. Their real interest is in advancing a religious agenda at the expense of science. They want to discredit evolution because they recognize that naturalistic explanations of the development of life on this planet make gods unnecessary. Obviously evolutionary theory does not prove the god idea false though it does offer an explanation for the development of life without reference to the supernatural.

Tolerating intolerance is not just stupid but also can be very dangerous. Nothing I have said is based on emotion rather it has everything to do with the specific beliefs (dogmas) these religions hold to. Also when I speak about religious thought I'm concentrating on the specific dogmas of the 3 Abrahamic religions. Forgive me if I did not make that clear.

The argument about religions having done some good in the world(feeding the poor etc) is an argument to be had but this can also be said about Hamas who has provided social work in Gaza. Ive even herd it said Louis Farrakhans group helps get young black men in prison off drugs. This doesn't alter the fact that the one is a militarized terrorist organization with a fanatical anti Semitic ideology and the second is a racist crack pot cult. My insistence is if you claim it for one you must accept it for them all.

Please login first to reply.