SALE - Up to 70% Off - Shop Now
March 27, 2011 @ 05:53 PM
SmoothCriminal

Here's some background info. I'm 19. Originally from NY, live in PA now due to some fucked up family situations. I'm about to complete my sophomore year in college studying Management Information Systems (MIS). I currently have no money in my bank account.

After being forced to grow up over here in the East, I realized now it's my time to live where I want to. I have plenty of friends, girls, fam, in my life right now, but I think now is my opportunity to go after what I want. I just wanna live in a place with nice ass weather and live a different lifestyle that I've always been curious about.

I plan to move around the LA area and I also would like to finish my schooling earning a Bachelor's degree in MIS.

So I have a couple of questions for you Cali heads so maybe I can get some help in pursuing these goals.

- What are some affordable places to live for a college student?
- What are some good community colleges where I could possibly transfer my credits to?
- What kind of job opportunites are available? How hard is it to find a job? (just looking for enough to pay rent / eat)

Any helpful comments/ suggestions are much appreciated. I'm ready to up and leave this bitch. cool
March 27, 2011 @ 05:57 PM
&y

to live in la is expensive. sales tax is almost at 10% . job opportunities are usually there if you put in work to look for them (it is a big city with a lot of businesses)
March 27, 2011 @ 06:01 PM
spinningharmony

too expensive in cali. move somewhere else.
March 27, 2011 @ 06:06 PM
Ferris.Bueller

- What are some affordable places to live for a college student? Watts
- What are some good community colleges where I could possibly transfer my credits to? Santa Monica College
- What kind of job opportunites are available? How hard is it to find a job? (just looking for enough to pay rent / eat) Your better off begging

Good luck!
March 27, 2011 @ 06:08 PM
element

probably not the best time to move to cali tbh man. most community colleges suck dick and are cutting massive amounts of classes. you'll also have to pay out of state fees i think, which are a shit ton. finding a "good job" isn't likely unless you know people. sorry to be a buzzkill but it's a harsh reality.
March 27, 2011 @ 06:10 PM
unknown force.

palomar college is a pretty popular JC, lots of out of state kids but its in San Diego. I know a lot of people that went to santa monica jc from sd then to whatever 4 year
March 27, 2011 @ 06:14 PM
overtheradar

As mentioned above, Santa Monica College; apparently has one of the highest transfer ratings to 4yr universities. To add to that Long Beach, south of L.A., is one of the most demographically diverse cities in America and it's literally just a short drive in between downtown Los Angeles and Orange County.

But it's hard to move without having any connects or friends already in the area. Finding some room mates obviously lessens the load and makes it easier financially.

Rebels vs. Renegades ---- www.rebelsvsrenegades.com ---- Turning Dreams Into Reality. One Broken Window at a Time.

March 27, 2011 @ 06:22 PM
Baked Chips

dont even bother my dude u wont make it financially
March 27, 2011 @ 06:22 PM
Z

The economy hasn't been kind to Cali. Major businesses have been merging to cut cost and make more money which has cost a lot of people their jobs. Unemployment is raising rapidly.

When in doubt, show that bitch your Slurpee cup collection.

March 27, 2011 @ 06:26 PM
SmoothCriminal

Thanks to those of you who responded helpfully. I was considering Long Beach and it seems like a good possibility. Can anybody list colleges I could attend from Long Beach? I don't have a license btw.
I don't mind paying out of state tuition for a year at a JC. I just want to be able to eventually finish at a 4 year University. I don't care if some people say the community colleges suck, cause honestly you don't know how bad shit sucks over where I live now haha.

Also, I am aware that it is expensive to live in CA, but with financial aid and a job i think I could survive. Any more input?
March 27, 2011 @ 06:28 PM
MaliciousInten

You're best bet as far as transferring credits would be talking a consoler at your school and the school you potential plan to transfer to.
March 27, 2011 @ 06:29 PM
mugen_101

I use to live out there, it's expensive. You can always try getting a buddy to go with you and maybe share an apartment to make rent cheaper. good luck
March 27, 2011 @ 06:30 PM
HIDEYOKIDS HIDEYOWIFE

Try living in culver city(cheaper rent) and bus that shit to santa monica college.

as for good community colleges, pasadena city college and santa monica college are the best for transfers in LA.

malls are always hiring, i swear there's always a mall 10mins away from where you live if you're in LA.
March 27, 2011 @ 06:32 PM
Awww SNAP

You should honestly think about moving closer to the Bay for the meantime until you get on your feet. The Bay is just as pricey as LA but there are some decent/affordable parts surrounding it or even in San Jose where I stay. There's a friend I know on another forum that's making a move from St. Louis to San Jose for work opportunities and he really doesn't have a plan as well, but when he comes up with enough funds he's thug lifin it lol
March 27, 2011 @ 06:35 PM
e_money

- What are some affordable places to live for a college student? craigslist,
- What are some good community colleges where I could possibly transfer my credits to?santa monica
- What kind of job opportunites are available? How hard is it to find a job? (just looking for enough to pay rent / eat) 2 jobs
March 27, 2011 @ 06:47 PM
&y

Thanks to those of you who responded helpfully. I was considering Long Beach and it seems like a good possibility. Can anybody list colleges I could attend from Long Beach? I don't have a license btw.
I don't mind paying out of state tuition for a year at a JC. I just want to be able to eventually finish at a 4 year University. I don't care if some people say the community colleges suck, cause honestly you don't know how bad shit sucks over where I live now haha.

Also, I am aware that it is expensive to live in CA, but with financial aid and a job i think I could survive. Any more input?

if you do end up in long beach, invest in a bike since long beach is very bike friendly and have bike lanes on almost every street.
March 27, 2011 @ 06:50 PM
SmoothCriminal

^^ Ur cool bro.

You should honestly think about moving closer to the Bay for the meantime until you get on your feet. The Bay is just as pricey as LA but there are some decent/affordable parts surrounding it or even in San Jose where I stay. There's a friend I know on another forum that's making a move from St. Louis to San Jose for work opportunities and he really doesn't have a plan as well, but when he comes up with enough funds he's thug lifin it lol

Word. What are some perks of San Jose?

I use to live out there, it's expensive. You can always try getting a buddy to go with you and maybe share an apartment to make rent cheaper. good luck

I have a few buddies who are supposedly pulling the trigger and moving out in June. We'll see how that goes hah. If so I'd prob be able to crash with them.

if you do end up in long beach, invest in a bike since long beach is very bike friendly and have bike lanes on almost every street.

Good to know dude. I'm definitely gonna get a bike if I do. Probably just a bmx one tho that should do. Or are the hills really that bad out there? hah
March 27, 2011 @ 07:01 PM
Awww SNAP

Word. What are some perks of San Jose?

Well it's one of the biggest cities in the U.S. but it's a little different and full of suburbs. It has it's own downtown which is decent, but it's also close to San Francisco which is about a 45 min drive or a little longer if you decide to take the cal train from downtown. One of the best community colleges in the state (De Anza College) is in Cupertino which is about 15-20 minutes away. They have a solid bus system that runs through the city and cities surrounding it. Ughh... shit.. there's a lot of asian and hispanic girls lol. I really don't know what else to say. I advise you to look into getting a roommate because that would help a lot.

I wouldn't blame you for wanting to move to Long Beach because I'm looking into going to school around there. Just keeping your options open. That's a big ass move
March 27, 2011 @ 08:16 PM
CaliforniaKid

Lived in LA my whole life, I'm 21 now and about to graduate from a 4 year.

I'll let you know straight up, you can do it but you're going to have to cut back on a lot.

1. Santa Monica College or West LA College is your best bet as far as Community Colleges go.
2. You NEED a car/bike/moped, PERIOD. Public transportation is a NO GO, trust me.
3. You can find places in OK locations for ~$850 but you might want to find someone to share a room with to cut that in half.
4. As soon as you get out there just spend a whole week looking for a job and I swear you'll get a few.
5. Don't eat out. That's the biggest expense you can avoid.
March 27, 2011 @ 08:48 PM
Scotty

Smooth here is some advice for you since i was 21 when i moved from the east coast to California...

First thing, U need money to start out.. There is no way u can come out here with nothing in your account.. So i would work all summer, save every penny you can before making a move out here.. You are going to need atleast a couple months of money to get by, especially lookign for a job out here.. Set up your college shit over the summer for September so you will be all set when you arrive..

Apartments are expensive out here, go on craigslist and find apartments near by or a short commute to your school.. If you have questions about areas, u can just post in here and we will help u with the areas.. Even if u just grab a studio for yourself just to start out is just fine til u get settled in..

Jobs are getting harder to find out here but retail is always hiring but prolly will just get you by from paycheck to paycheck.. Unless u work at a higher end retail spot where they pay you some decent money.. Also try restaurants are good, they pay good money as well..

Other things, try not eating out until you are good financially, shit will eat up your pockets.. Also u need a car to live out here, Public trans isnt the greatest and you cant take a bike everywhere! Tax is high as hell on EVERYTHING, so take that into consideration.. Other than that just be smart, its a great place to live!
March 27, 2011 @ 10:07 PM
ⓜⓘⓝⓓⓔⓡⓐⓢⓔⓡ

wish I was brave enough to do this but I'll probably be heading that way after college

Lil JoJo : i really want rizal! 13:10

March 27, 2011 @ 10:11 PM
mrfunnni

Here's some background info. I'm 19. Originally from NY, live in PA now due to some fucked up family situations. I'm about to complete my sophomore year in college studying Management Information Systems (MIS). I currently have no money in my bank account.

After being forced to grow up over here in the East, I realized now it's my time to live where I want to. I have plenty of friends, girls, fam, in my life right now, but I think now is my opportunity to go after what I want. I just wanna live in a place with nice ass weather and live a different lifestyle that I've always been curious about.

I plan to move around the LA area and I also would like to finish my schooling earning a Bachelor's degree in MIS.

So I have a couple of questions for you Cali heads so maybe I can get some help in pursuing these goals.

- What are some affordable places to live for a college student?
- What are some good community colleges where I could possibly transfer my credits to?
- What kind of job opportunites are available? How hard is it to find a job? (just looking for enough to pay rent / eat)

Any helpful comments/ suggestions are much appreciated. I'm ready to up and leave this bitch. cool

- To live in california is expensive as hell. If your looking to rent a room/ have an appartment goodlook with that shit, your looking at around 5 bills for a rented room. ( i live in the OC)
- in my area theirs OCC (complete party school) and IVC (complete academic school) they both are great colleges, i will be attending both next year
- There are great job opportunities if you look for them.

Just an FYI, if your moving out here(OC) be aware your going to have to fork out some major cash before you can even make any. IE you'll need a car here. idk how it was in NY but i live in the OC which is next to la, and the bus pass wont help you do shit but be late.

just so you know. norcal is pretty cold compared to Socal,Look into the city some more before you end up moving there, alot more, Long Beach doesnt have such a huge gang problem anymore. But from what ive seen its still pretty sketch.
If your interested in OC VVVVVVVVvv
Santa ana - Probably the cheapest place you can live, but if you have a bike or anything your shits gunna get stolen, alot of hispanics in this area.
Garden Grove - Nice area, where i live, Some shady neighborhoods, but boring.
Westminster - Asian district.
Orange/villapark/yorba linda- Nicer area of OC.
All are close to OCC/SAC (SANTA ANA COLLEGE)/ Golden west.

Gl

haha fag

March 27, 2011 @ 10:24 PM
sushi19

SCHOOL- i grew up in lb and im still here at lb state and we got lbcc over here but i would mos def advise to go to santa monica college. my dumbass valedictorian friend dropped out of berk to go there. but her apartment hunting (craigslist)took about 3 weeks. whatever you do make sure that the credits you have are all transferable cause some credits might get lost there. almost forgot you also got occ/golden west(2year)/cerritos college(2year)

FINANCIALLY- just to reiterate... tax is barely under 10%. seems like ross/marshalls/mervins/golden spoon will hire anyone. idk if you guys get sprouts/whole foods/trader joes over there (sorry for ignorance right now)but they pay pretty decently and good benefits... prob around 9.50 or so. uhhh my cousin said theyre constantly hiring at dland but then again thats pretty far from santa monica if you go there. or if you can try working at like some parks or shit. my friend does that and he basically gets paid for "coachin" kids.

TRANSPORTATION- you need a car... but gas is killer right now but you dont have a license so that dont matter. no car? youll mos def NEED a bike. bmx/mountain/fixie/single gear or w/e. public transportation is absolute shit.

good luck dude. mad props for the huge move.
March 27, 2011 @ 11:09 PM
deegee

i dont know what else to say that nobody has said before..

but emphasis on the public transportation. LA is SPRAWLING. i take public transit and it sucks. Public transportation is not as friendly here as it is in the east coast (as far as i know). maybe up in SF with the muni, but in SOCAL, that shit is horrible.

http://www.prevailco.com

March 27, 2011 @ 11:13 PM
shonenfan4

depends on where you're going to live, but I'd put those NY hats somewhere safe and invests in some LAs cool
March 27, 2011 @ 11:58 PM
deegee

^ i thought it was glendale community college?

im only saying that cause i go to glendale... lulz cool

http://www.prevailco.com

March 28, 2011 @ 12:11 AM
goobypls

go to OC instead. a lot cleaner, a bit cheaper, more job opportunities, less shady, etc. Get an apartment near OCC and go there for a year. A bunch of jobs available for college students around that area as well. good luck to you.
March 28, 2011 @ 01:12 AM
Awww SNAP

SCHOOL- i grew up in lb and im still here at lb state and we got lbcc over here but i would mos def advise to go to santa monica college. my dumbass valedictorian friend dropped out of berk to go there. but her apartment hunting (craigslist)took about 3 weeks. whatever you do make sure that the credits you have are all transferable cause some credits might get lost there. almost forgot you also got occ/golden west(2year)/cerritos college(2year)

how's LB state? i plan on applying there at the end of summer
March 28, 2011 @ 09:00 PM
sushi19

yeah dude its chill. hot bitches everywhere since school ratios 2:1. uh just got our new rec center in and its pretty cool. if youre goin into business right now its gonna take about 5 years and if youre going into nursing... well thats a totally different story since just about every filipino i know or met is in there and theyre not going to be getting out any time soon.
March 28, 2011 @ 09:25 PM
SmoothCriminal

Cool, cool. Lot's of good info here. Im' just wondering maybe if I should finish another year here and save up all my money, or work my ass off this summer and make the move at the end of summer and start Fall semester in CA.

Please login first to reply.