Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
April 6, 2011 @ 06:42 PM
LiquidSwords

ballast point sculpin is my current favorite at the moment,i need to try that big eye and see the comparison.

just copped this at my local nugget market, enjoying two bottles on this rainy CA day cool

Can you cop this shit outside of Cali?
April 6, 2011 @ 08:38 PM
bonemarrow

i remember my first beer.

smile

http://www.last.fm/user/basedvern

April 6, 2011 @ 08:54 PM
chrisfarley

April 6, 2011 @ 09:24 PM
YDNA

i needs my pliny!
April 6, 2011 @ 09:25 PM
Patrick of LA

out...
April 18, 2011 @ 01:29 PM
IbRiNgDaBaCon

Current favorite.

April 18, 2011 @ 03:16 PM
imtheman

ballast point sculpin is my current favorite at the moment,i need to try that big eye and see the comparison.

just copped this at my local nugget market, enjoying two bottles on this rainy CA day cool

Dude.. theres no comparison with Pliny v Big Eye.

Sculpin v Pliny... maybe. <<<< My two personal favorites right there.

I tried the Karl Strauss 22th Anniv Vanilla Imperial Stout with some cupcakes the other day.... orgasmic to say the least.

April 18, 2011 @ 06:06 PM
YDNA

i must acquire pliny. If anyone in here is a big hop head, i recommend Avery brewing company- Maharaja.
April 19, 2011 @ 12:24 AM
giorgio19

Sonny you fuck with wine or just beer?
April 20, 2011 @ 08:31 AM
JaySS

April 22, 2011 @ 08:50 PM
Theseventhletter

I copped some shit last week to introduce my boy to some shit beyond heineken and shit.

I copped a couple bombers of Delirium Tremmens and Stone Double Bastard, both 2010 releases. A 4 pack of Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA and a 6 pack of Abita Purple Haze.

I've had Tremmens before out of a 12 oz bottle poured into a Delirium ale glass and I thought it was a bit too sweet that time. But this last time I poured it ( the year old bomber ) into a regular glass and it was amazing. Nearly perfect for a sweetish beer amazing pour, great carbonation, great golden appearance, nearly perfect head with great lacing and it tasted better than the 12 oz pour I had.

The 90 minute IPA was the same as the last time I had it, which was great so no news there. The Abita Purple Haze was surprisingly refreshing definitely a new favorite. I do wish that there was a bit more Raspberry taste to it. The fruit came off as a bit dull IMHO but still a really good wheat ale that I will definitely drink again.

Now the Stone Double Bastard, and the name is pretty appropriate. I knew absolutely nothing about this besides someone telling me that it got an A+ on beer advocate. I cracked the bomber open and the aroma was pretty good, very hoppy slight citrus. I poured about 8 ounces of the bomber into a glass and I was pretty impressed, good head and a beautiful reddish brown color. I was really excited about it until I had a sip. Fuck me sideways, I dont know if I picked up a bad bottle or if I just haven't developed a palate for this type of beer but it was by far one of the most difficult to drink beers I've ever had. First off it tastes 100x stronger than it smells, it tasted like bitter grapefruit, burnt sugar hops and alcohol... A FUCKING WHOLE LOT OF ALCOHOL. I don't personally like beers that taste so alcohol-y, if I want to taste booze I'll drink bourbon or cognac. It also had a strange mouth feel almost a sticky feeling. When you take a sip you feel as if your mouth is coated in the beer and you taste it until your next sip whether it be 10 seconds or 10 minutes later. Halfway through the bomber I wanted to give up because I was getting tired of the taste, but once I did some googling and found out that the brew was 12% ABV I was like fuck it. I finished it and was buzzed and comfortable so there was a happy ending to this. I won't buy Double Bastard again though, it's a tough beer to enjoy.
April 23, 2011 @ 12:34 AM
CHOPZZBISCUIT

im drinking this for the first time. i gotta say their pretty good n the buzz is smooth too

:D

Kayv: pull bitches, not triggers. throw parties, not fists. futurebass : my mom said life is like a box of kimchi. chopzz.tumblr.com

April 23, 2011 @ 12:24 PM
alberto.1989

every time i go to the store i buy something new to see whats out there, the other day i had a steel reserve, ive had them before but i could never stomach them. anyways i drank a 40 oz and it tasted really sweet to me, like sugar water, can any one agree on this? infamous i know you down these shits breh
April 24, 2011 @ 02:50 AM
randysav

found a clone to the Pliny the Elder. Laguinitas hop stoopid. very similar taste, I bealive much more alcohol percentage just a tad bit. much easier to find,check local nugget market or whole foods. copped a few tonite.cool
April 24, 2011 @ 10:59 PM
YDNA

had hop stoopid, if that's anything like Pliny im gonna be thoroughly dissapoint.
April 25, 2011 @ 09:25 AM

Inactive

I dont find Hop Stoopid remotely close to Pliny. Nowhere near as balanced, not a ton of citrus/grapefruit taste to it. It's basically just really hoppy. That's my personal take anyway.

Only beer that I've had that comes close to the balance of Pliny is Ballast Point Sculpin and Marin IPA, but even then Pliny is still has a unique taste.
April 25, 2011 @ 09:31 AM

Inactive

I won't buy Double Bastard again though, it's a tough beer to enjoy.

I love Stone, but I agree... Some of their stuff is just over the top. I've tried the majority of the wide releases and Double Bastard isn't a repeat buy for me. The bitter/boozy taste and mouth feel isn't what bothers me. It's the fact that the boozy taste isn't really paired with much else.

I think Oaked Arrogant Bastard is a much better beer in terms of flavor. It's also a pretty harsh beer, but tastes really good at the same time.

---

I went to SF Beerfest the weekend before last and the best beer of all the ones I tasted was...

La Trappe Quadrupel

Awesome beer and I see myself picking this up over and over. Slight banana flavor which makes me want to drink this all summer.

April 25, 2011 @ 12:30 PM
The Main Event

Recently picked up a 6 pack of Rogue Dead Guy Ale, really liked it. Initially you get a lot of hops, almost IPA like, but right after you get a taste of the malt (hints of caramel, maybe honey) which really balanced out the flavor nicely. Would definitely buy again, unfortunately places around here seem to be charging through the roof for it.
April 25, 2011 @ 01:07 PM
swagasfuck

after taste for double bastard has a hint of sweetness, but the bitter/dark combo just killed it for me. im more of a fan of their stone 10th anniv beer.
April 25, 2011 @ 11:41 PM
alberto.1989

Recently picked up a 6 pack of Rogue Dead Guy Ale, really liked it. Initially you get a lot of hops, almost IPA like, but right after you get a taste of the malt (hints of caramel, maybe honey) which really balanced out the flavor nicely. Would definitely buy again, unfortunately places around here seem to be charging through the roof for it.

this shit is so good, a 6 pack of these goes for around 10 and some change and its oregon fucking brewed, i can only imagine what prices in jersey are like. how much you copped for?
April 25, 2011 @ 11:51 PM
Canvas08

i love double bastard. but my palate is used to alcohol burn and i love intense, hoppy, malty beers.
April 26, 2011 @ 12:11 AM
YDNA

this shit is so good, a 6 pack of these goes for around 10 and some change and its oregon fucking brewed, i can only imagine what prices in jersey are like. how much you copped for?

10-13 bucks in philly. not much different.
May 7, 2011 @ 03:21 PM
It's Only Hype

Anyone tried Stone Ruination ?
May 7, 2011 @ 03:28 PM
Canvas08

yeah ruination is pretty good. super hoppy, EXTREMELY bitter.
May 7, 2011 @ 06:30 PM
It's Only Hype

ah, figured as much. cool, thanks
May 7, 2011 @ 07:05 PM
Jake2545

One of my current favorite beers right now! Such a well balanced flavor and a six pack is just enough to get you feeling good.

Another local Portland beer I Highly recommend is the New Old Lompoc Brewery's "Lompoc Special Draft"

So good, plan on picking up a keg for the kegarator as soon as I'm out of school for the summer cool
May 8, 2011 @ 10:38 AM
YDNA

Had Peche mortel last night. shit is sooo good, if you like coffee stouts and you can find it, get it.
May 8, 2011 @ 11:40 AM
easy-g

absolutely delicious. in no way does it have an overbearing, sweet taste. just a subtle amount to know its banana bread beer.
May 8, 2011 @ 01:08 PM
Canvas08

Had Peche mortel last night. shit is sooo good, if you like coffee stouts and you can find it, get it.

where to cawp. this is high up on my need to try list.
May 16, 2011 @ 04:22 PM

Inactive

Saturday. Had some really good stuff from Bruery.

Please login first to reply.