December 21, 2010 @ 01:08 AM

Inactive

Pretty sure the 120 min is like ~18% ABV last time I checked. Good beers.

Going to be opening a bottle of Older Viscosity and trying it for the first time this weekend in celebration of the holiday. I HIGHLY recommend getting a bottle of...

Old Viscosity and if you like that maybe try the Older Viscosity. Fuckin perfect with vanilla ice cream or chocolate chip cookies. Hell I'd enjoy it with some sort of pork or cold cuts too.

Imperial Stout

Older
December 21, 2010 @ 01:20 AM
FlamingBible

^ Good stuff. Tried that before.

Word of caution to anyone reading; like selection of clothes, the bad part about purchasing "finer" beers is that you will never go back to cheap beers or those that are macro-brewed(mass produced). The only mass produced beers I fiend for nowadays are GUINNESS Stout (hands-down one of my favorite all-around macro beers), most Sam Adams, and Blue Moon(so clean and refreshing smelling).

Good beer can get expensive.
December 22, 2010 @ 01:00 PM

Inactive

^ Good stuff. Tried that before.

Word of caution to anyone reading; like selection of clothes, the bad part about purchasing "finer" beers is that you will never go back to cheap beers or those that are macro-brewed(mass produced). The only mass produced beers I fiend for nowadays are GUINNESS Stout (hands-down one of my favorite all-around macro beers), most Sam Adams, and Blue Moon(so clean and refreshing smelling).

Good beer can get expensive.

Hahaha yea it can get a little more expensive, but it's that much more enjoyable.
December 22, 2010 @ 01:51 PM
imtheman

a co-worker gave my wife a bottle of some Lost Abbey ale for us to drink.. forgot which one it was but we'll probably save it for the New Year's eve celebrations. High alcohol content, so we should be good.
December 22, 2010 @ 01:56 PM
Theseventhletter

Any of you guys ever have Trappist Ales? I've always wanted to try them but I haven't been able to find them many places.
December 22, 2010 @ 03:54 PM

Inactive

Any of you guys ever have Trappist Ales? I've always wanted to try them but I haven't been able to find them many places.

You're in Brooklyn. Should be somewhere close by that has Chimay which is a Trappist Brewery and probably the most well known.
December 22, 2010 @ 04:01 PM
Theseventhletter

Chimay sounds really familiar, I'll see if they stock it at a place in Manhattan called House of Brews. good looking out Sonny any other suggestions for Trappist or other high ABV beers?
December 22, 2010 @ 04:12 PM
randysav

^
the flavor on this cool

December 22, 2010 @ 04:35 PM

Inactive

Chimay sounds really familiar, I'll see if they stock it at a place in Manhattan called House of Brews. good looking out Sonny any other suggestions for Trappist or other high ABV beers?

High ABV? I've always found Belgian quadrupels are usually 9-10%+ and taste extremely good. These will get you buzzed/drunk before you even realize it since they drink so well.

Here's a few I've had recently;

Ommegang - Three Philosophers (I didn't enjoy this, but some people love it) - 9.8% ABV
St. Bernardus Abt 12 - 10.5% ABV
Lost Abbey - Judgement Day - 10.5% ABV

I've been drinking more and more barrel aged beers lately. Really strong distinct flavors and high ABV. Definitely sipping beers that you can baby.

Goose Island - Bourbon County - 13% ABV
Port Brewing - Old Viscosity - 10% ABV

I've tried very little in the grand scheme of things, but try new shit out and let everyone know what you think. That's the best thing about craft beer to me. It's a craft that has very little rules and there is so much different types of beers and flavors out there.
December 22, 2010 @ 06:54 PM
YDNA

Just picked up some Maudite, Delirium, And Corsendonk Brown for christmas. coolcool
December 22, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
Canvas08

High ABV? I've always found Belgian quadrupels are usually 9-10%+ and taste extremely good. These will get you buzzed/drunk before you even realize it since they drink so well.

Here's a few I've had recently;

Ommegang - Three Philosophers (I didn't enjoy this, but some people love it) - 9.8% ABV
St. Bernardus Abt 12 - 10.5% ABV
Lost Abbey - Judgement Day - 10.5% ABV

I've been drinking more and more barrel aged beers lately. Really strong distinct flavors and high ABV. Definitely sipping beers that you can baby.

Goose Island - Bourbon County - 13% ABV
Port Brewing - Old Viscosity - 10% ABV

I've tried very little in the grand scheme of things, but try new shit out and let everyone know what you think. That's the best thing about craft beer to me. It's a craft that has very little rules and there is so much different types of beers and flavors out there.

st bernardus cool
December 22, 2010 @ 07:26 PM
Theseventhletter

Thanks a ton Sonny, I found a pretty cool site in looking for some of the beers you mentioned called Beermenus, just plug in your city type the name of the beer you're looking for and not only does it give you a description of the beer's aroma and flavor but also tells you prices and which bars stock the beer and its availability.

While this isn't a craft beer I really enjoy Singha it's a beer imported from Thailand. I tried it at a restaurant in Greenwich Village called Cafetasia great food and cheap prices. I want to get into the art of pairing beers with meals since I'm a relatively good cook.

Also, does anyone know how well Trappist Ale's cellar? I plan on picking up a few bottles of Chimay Rogue and Bleue and Cinq Cents, I wanted to know what kind of change in hoppiness and aroma I should expect as well as how long I should keep them given I can resist temptation.
December 23, 2010 @ 03:44 AM
nogi-drew

Thanks a ton Sonny, I found a pretty cool site in looking for some of the beers you mentioned called Beermenus, just plug in your city type the name of the beer you're looking for and not only does it give you a description of the beer's aroma and flavor but also tells you prices and which bars stock the beer and its availability.

While this isn't a craft beer I really enjoy Singha it's a beer imported from Thailand. I tried it at a restaurant in Greenwich Village called Cafetasia great food and cheap prices. I want to get into the art of pairing beers with meals since I'm a relatively good cook.

Also, does anyone know how well Trappist Ale's cellar? I plan on picking up a few bottles of Chimay Rogue and Bleue and Cinq Cents, I wanted to know what kind of change in hoppiness and aroma I should expect as well as how long I should keep them given I can resist temptation.

Cellaring beer is tricky. Make sure you keep the beers in a cool dark place.

Hop profile fades when the beer is cellared as does any adjunct flavors (coffee beans, chocolate) that have been added to the beer. In my opinion ipa, pale ales, and lagers should never be cellared as they are best consumed as fresh as possible.

If you get beers with wild yeast such as brettanomyces the yeast will change the beer into an almost completely different beer over time.

Sour beers tend to get more acidic because of the bugs or bacteria. (lactobacillius and pediococcus).

The chimay beers should hold up to cellaring although i would not cellar cinq cents. The blue or grande reserve would be an awesome beer to cellar.

As for flavor profiles it is all subjective on what the drinker picks up. Alot of factors ome into play in cellaring such as the batch of the beer, storage, and other various tid bits.
As for
December 23, 2010 @ 10:25 AM
imtheman

Lost Abbey 10 Commandments... havent tried it, but its waiting at home for me tonight.

AND... AND

AND...

PLINY the YOUNGER is making a guest appearance at a local bar in San Diego!!
I hope its all that its hyped up to be!!
I'm camping out RIGHT NOW so I can be the first one to tap that keg and maybe get a few free items ala Nicky Diamond!! hhaaaa
December 23, 2010 @ 10:53 AM

Inactive

Lost Abbey 10 Commandments... havent tried it, but its waiting at home for me tonight.

AND... AND

AND...

I'm camping out RIGHT NOW so I can be the first one to tap that keg and maybe get a few free items ala Nicky Diamond!! hhaaaa

Lucky SOB! LOL... I hear in Feb it'll be on tap at Russian River. I might try to make it there then.
December 23, 2010 @ 11:48 AM
Canvas08

AND... AND

AND...

which bar tell me NOW
December 23, 2010 @ 11:54 AM
Canvas08

Cellaring beer is tricky. Make sure you keep the beers in a cool dark place.

Hop profile fades when the beer is cellared as does any adjunct flavors (coffee beans, chocolate) that have been added to the beer. In my opinion ipa, pale ales, and lagers should never be cellared as they are best consumed as fresh as possible.

If you get beers with wild yeast such as brettanomyces the yeast will change the beer into an almost completely different beer over time.

Sour beers tend to get more acidic because of the bugs or bacteria. (lactobacillius and pediococcus).

The chimay beers should hold up to cellaring although i would not cellar cinq cents. The blue or grande reserve would be an awesome beer to cellar.

As for flavor profiles it is all subjective on what the drinker picks up. Alot of factors ome into play in cellaring such as the batch of the beer, storage, and other various tid bits.
As for

imperial ipa's cellar very well. imo the only belgians that cellar that well are quadrupels, which the chimay grand reserve is not. its a belgian dark ale, which should be kept and served colder than cellar temp (like 40-45) and shouldnt be stored for a long period of time as the flavor profile would get very dull. that's why you don;t see people collecting a vertical of chimay blue and cellaring it but you do with an imperial ipa like alesmith's 2 yulesmith verticals.
December 23, 2010 @ 12:12 PM
imtheman

which bar tell me NOW

Blind Lady Ale House on Adam's ave - according to their facebook updates!
My wife & I will be there tonight after work fer' sherrrrrrr'...

**EDIT**
Nevermind... those fucks fucked up.... they meant that Russian River is brewing it this week.. fuckin let down. They had a status last night and then re-posted the Russian River brewing link bout Pliny being brewed..
December 23, 2010 @ 12:14 PM

Inactive

imperial ipa's cellar very well. imo the only belgians that cellar that well are quadrupels, which the chimay grand reserve is not. its a belgian dark ale, which should be kept and served colder than cellar temp (like 40-45) and shouldnt be stored for a long period of time as the flavor profile would get very dull. that's why you don;t see people collecting a vertical of chimay blue and cellaring it but you do with an imperial ipa like alesmith's 2 yulesmith verticals.

I think I'll have to disagree. Cellaring a tripel is fine, but you're not going to be able to do it for the same amount of time as a quad. A year at the most before too much flavor is gone. This is all speaking hypothetically and going off of what others have said though. I have yet to cellar a beer for a significant amount of time. However, my friend did bring over a bottle of...

Trappist Westvleteren 12 aged for... ~1.5-2 years? Lost track.

December 24, 2010 @ 12:56 AM
YDNA

I think I'll have to disagree. Cellaring a tripel is fine, but you're not going to be able to do it for the same amount of time as a quad. A year at the most before too much flavor is gone. This is all speaking hypothetically and going off of what others have said though. I have yet to cellar a beer for a significant amount of time. However, my friend did bring over a bottle of...

Trappist Westvleteren 12 aged for... ~1.5-2 years? Lost track.

&)&)&)&)&)&)&)
December 24, 2010 @ 04:33 AM
nogi-drew

AND... AND

AND...

you do know more than a couple bars got kegs last year.
December 24, 2010 @ 04:54 AM
nogi-drew

im going to have to disagree with just about everything you put in your post.

Only belgians that cellar are quadrupels? geesh you must be new to beer.
December 25, 2010 @ 08:05 PM
Canvas08

im going to have to disagree with just about everything you put in your post.

Only belgians that cellar are quadrupels? geesh you must be new to beer.

i'm not new. i have had aged tripels and aged dubbels and compared to fresh i do not like the flavor. i would much rather have an aged imperial stout than an aged dubbel. it's also completely preference so if you want to cellar an allagash dubbel for a year, go for it; i think it makes it taste worse and so do the most of the beer guys i know. and especially what my post was talking about, was from a room mate breaking out his 2 year old chimay blue. not good.
December 25, 2010 @ 08:28 PM
Theseventhletter

Thanks guys for the advice on cellaring, I've got a dark pantry that stay's pretty cool so I should be okay. I plan on cellaring for maybe 6 months to a year, any longer than that would be the longest ANY bottle of alcohol has gone unconsumed in it's entirety while in my possession.
December 26, 2010 @ 02:15 AM
RyanF.Baby

If you like Hefe-weizen beer, this is one of the best

(•_•). ( •_•)>⌐□-□. (⌐□_□)

December 26, 2010 @ 03:54 PM
KP$

Long Trail Hibernator and Harpoon Winter Warmer are two really good winter brews from New England, highly recommended.
December 31, 2010 @ 01:20 PM
imtheman

Firkin Friday New Years Eve - Victory @ Sea!!
Dec 31st, 2010
We declare Victory @ Sea in the way of

On Cask: Double Vanillia Vic @ Sea
On Draught: BA Piper Down 2009, Sculpin and BA Sea Monster Stout

Bye Bye 2k10! Hello 2k11!

On Tap:
Alesmith Speedway Stout
Avery the Reverend
Avery White Rascal
Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Babycham Perry Pear Cider
Ballast Pt Sea Monster (Whisky Barrel Aged)
Ballast Pt Sculpin
Ballast Pt Sextant Stout nitro
Bear Republic Pete's Tribute
BlackThorn Cider
Bourgogne des Flandres
Coronado Belgian Pale
Coronado WinterBrew (spiced)
Delirium Noel
FiftyFifty Old Conundrum
Fuller
December 31, 2010 @ 03:45 PM

Inactive

^ Such a nice list. I picked up a bottle of the Infinium (Sam Adams x Weihenstephan) for tonight/tomorrow.

On the list for this weekend...

Avery Mephistopheles Stout
Mikkeller Black Hole
Westvleteren 12
Port Older Viscosity
Sam Adams x Weihenstephan Infinium
Blue Moon Grand Cru

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq3C_oPVWPE

January 4, 2011 @ 06:06 PM
Theseventhletter

I tried a couple new beers this past Sunday while I was DJing at a bar in the Lower East Side.

Before those I had 2 Maker's Marks neat no ice

I had a couple Steinlagers which is nice never had it before

I had a Pacifico which was also cool again never tried it although I've heard about

I finally tried a Sierra Nevada which I loved, great bitterness

I tried a Blue Point Winter Ale which was okay.

Needless to say by the end of the night I was quite sauced and then I went upstairs to a private party where I tried some cocktails. Not just some regular old bartender either dude was using fermented handmade sodas for rum and cokes etc top shelf shit very cool. I had an Old Fashioned and a Manhattan.
January 4, 2011 @ 06:18 PM
ImperiusRex

someone suggest some new beer for me to try. im sick of drinking the same brews day after day. I drink all of the "normal" shit (bud, sam , miller, etc) and the only kind i DONT like is heiniken (or however u spell it).

Please login first to reply.