300+ New Sale Items (Up to 80% Off Selected Brands)
December 13, 2010 @ 06:07 PM
Theseventhletter

This is a pretty interesting read, the Stem Cell Treatment was initially supposed to treat his leukemia.

Stem cell transplant has cured HIV infection in 'Berlin patient', say doctors

I wonder why right wing conservatives are so furiously against stem cell research ohhhhhhhh now I get it, this is why.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:08 PM
Oh Shit Ninjas! MILK, RUN!!!

guess who's going raw tonighttttttttt &)
DuncanPinderhughes?

magic johnson
N1njai

Cot damn, i want some more proof, this shit is nuts though.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:10 PM
Shanklin

What are the negatives to stem cell research? Shit seems like it can cure anything...even boredom!

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

December 13, 2010 @ 06:15 PM
Virungă

Wild, hopefully they can make it work in the general public and it isn't a one off case.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:16 PM
tonysteak

whoa, thats insane. I wonder how much it cost though

www.twitter.com/tonysteak

December 13, 2010 @ 06:18 PM
Theseventhletter

What are the negatives to stem cell research? Shit seems like it can cure anything...even boredom!

there are no "negatives" to stem cell research per say, conservatives and religious types are against it because a stem cell is essentially a human embryo 4-5 days post fertilization. Scientifically and biologically it's not alive, just a collection of cells that have pretty much boundless developmental possibilities as they can become any type of cell or tissue ( hence the name stem cell). They argue that stem cell research is pretty much using children or unborn children rather as science experiments and liken it to abortion. Which makes absolutely no sense since the stem cells are not yet an organism.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:19 PM
Stilo

Yeah the thing about the HIV virus is that it's so resilient and specialized, so while it may work on this guy there's no guarantee it would work on the general public and be mass produced. Moral of the story, wrap it up.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:21 PM
Theseventhletter

Yeah the thing about the HIV virus is that it's so resilient and specialized, so while it may work on this guy there's no guarantee it would work on the general public and be mass produced. Moral of the story, wrap it up.

I think the moral of the story is stem cell research should be at the fore front of medical research and not high profit pharmaceuticals.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:51 PM
N1njai

The thing with HIV though is that it keeps mutating which makes it difficult to cure. Idk, I feel as if we'll never cure HIV/AIDS unless you have a mutating cell also.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:56 PM
nostalgia

wrote a paper on this, sent to governor, he wont read it though.
December 13, 2010 @ 06:57 PM
Oh Shit Ninjas! MILK, RUN!!!

there are 6 billion ppl and counting in this world...aids has helped humanity more than computers, telecommunications and the industrial revolution ever could
December 13, 2010 @ 07:08 PM
modernmischief

Politicians won't allow this too continue,they have too many friends that make millions a year off prescribing medicine for various illnesses,and finding a cure for them is obviously bad for business.
December 13, 2010 @ 07:21 PM
Herban

This ♥♥♥♥♥ had HIV and leukemia? sad
December 13, 2010 @ 07:23 PM
Rugby Seigel

there are no "negatives" to stem cell research per say, conservatives and religious types are against it because a stem cell is essentially a human embryo 4-5 days post fertilization. Scientifically and biologically it's not alive, just a collection of cells that have pretty much boundless developmental possibilities as they can become any type of cell or tissue ( hence the name stem cell). They argue that stem cell research is pretty much using children or unborn children rather as science experiments and liken it to abortion. Which makes absolutely no sense since the stem cells are not yet an organism.

Stem cells can be taken from any part of the body.
December 13, 2010 @ 07:28 PM
ᴊᴜᴀɴ

With that being said, I say if they can help save lives then why not? I could see if it was actually taking a life to save one but since that isn't the case people need to smarten the fuck up and allow this shit to happen.
December 13, 2010 @ 07:43 PM
BobtheFoB

not sure about this one man. i think it can only be taken from embryos.

Nah, Stem Cells can be taken from many different places. Its a bit of a hyperbole to say that it can be taken from any part of the body, but it is NOT only from embryos. Most commonly (If im not mistaken), it can be drawn from CSF (Cerebral Spinal Fluid).

investment banking pays the bills

December 13, 2010 @ 07:44 PM
The Main Event

No, all humans have them, regardless of age. The advantage of using embryonic stem cells is that they can literally transform themselves into anything, while adult stem cells are somewhat limited as to what they can transform into (but still plenty helpful).
December 13, 2010 @ 07:49 PM
Rugby Seigel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_pluripotent_stem_cell

iPSCs were first produced in 2006 from mouse cells and in 2007 from human cells. This has been cited as an important advance in stem cell research, as it may allow researchers to obtain pluripotent stem cells, which are important in research and potentially have therapeutic uses, without the controversial use of embryos. They also avoid the issue of graft-versus-host disease and immune rejection unlike embryonic stem cells because they are derived entirely from the patient.

Let's do our homework now, children.
December 13, 2010 @ 08:07 PM
lifes outro .

sometimes i think it's a conspiracy. stem cells can cure a ton of shit. that would kill the medicine business. imagine having one pill that cures a lot of illnesses. no good for business.

Politicians won't allow this too continue,they have too many friends that make millions a year off prescribing medicine for various illnesses,and finding a cure for them is obviously bad for business.

i do think there's truth in this. even if such cures were put out, businesses that depend on the patient would not gain any benefits.
December 13, 2010 @ 08:18 PM
Rugby Seigel

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_pluripotent_stem_cell

iPSCs were first produced in 2006 from mouse cells and in 2007 from human cells. This has been cited as an important advance in stem cell research, as it may allow researchers to obtain pluripotent stem cells, which are important in research and potentially have therapeutic uses, without the controversial use of embryos. They also avoid the issue of graft-versus-host disease and immune rejection unlike embryonic stem cells because they are derived entirely from the patient.

Let's do our homework now, children.
December 13, 2010 @ 08:31 PM
Pinhead Larry

that is the negative.

PEOPLE NEED TO DIE. Overpopulation is a bitch. JUST LET THESE MOTHERFUCKERS NATURALLY FUCKING DIE!!!
December 13, 2010 @ 08:33 PM
Beach2theBay

Keep it really real. Only rich people will be able to afford this stuff. All the poor people (which are the majority) will still die.
December 13, 2010 @ 08:35 PM
EMU OG

Well they aren't trying to say its an organism, they are saying it has the possibility of life, and killing that possibility is the same as actual murder.

Retarded, but so is every biased extremist.
December 13, 2010 @ 08:42 PM
AlphaTrion

that is the negative.

PEOPLE NEED TO DIE. Overpopulation is a bitch. JUST LET THESE MOTHERFUCKERS NATURALLY FUCKING DIE!!!

Legalize Euthanasia, legalize Stem Cell research. Problem not really solved but it's a start.
December 14, 2010 @ 11:13 PM
Theseventhletter

With the whole overpopulation argument that's rolling around here that's a touchy subject. I do believe that the earth has an over population of humans this is partially because people are kept alive past their normal natural lifetimes with drugs and people with genetic defects and hereditary diseases are kept alive and remain in the gene pool. I'll try to elaborate, lets say Individual X has hereditary disease "Beta" and with the help of medicine is kept alive but is never cured. In nature this individual would normally die before it reaches the reproduction stage of it's life. In current human society, Individual X is kept alive and disease "Beta" gets passed on to the offspring which in turn continues to pass down this weak genetic characteristic. This weakens the gene pool in turn weakening the species. In a literal sense, modern medicinal practices are not only altering the natural progression of our species but ALSO it is fighting evolution. The human species is not adapting naturally to any particular changes but rather creating ways to adapt artificially so that it may strive whether it be in a climate or against a disease.

In short it's pretty much an unnatural progression of our species. Humankind's only true threat is it's own intelligence and desire to interfere with nature........I'm gonna step off the soapbox lol.
December 14, 2010 @ 11:15 PM
Wobba

mann this is dope as fuck
December 14, 2010 @ 11:36 PM
soap

guess who's going raw tonighttttttttt &)

fucking lol'd
December 14, 2010 @ 11:58 PM
Iggle

I know what you're trying to say, but by definition, a cell is alive. Just because its "a collection of cells" doesn't mean its not considered living.

#pedogangweindis

Please login first to reply.