Get an Extra 20% Off Sale Items - Use code: EXTRA20
December 2, 2010 @ 09:29 AM
goldANDsacks

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

well, maybe not officially an alien, but it's a bacteria life form thats based on arsenic. this is unlike any other known life form.

just hype so far, but the official press conference is today at 2PM EST.

what do u guys think this means?!?!?!
December 2, 2010 @ 09:41 AM
Dat780

And here I thought this was gonna be about illegal immigrants...
December 2, 2010 @ 09:58 AM
Steve Bartman

That I have a big dick |0
December 2, 2010 @ 10:00 AM
Shanklin

It's probably some bullshit that scientist will get hype over, but will get a "so what" from everyone else. Bacteria, sweet.

Edit: I just read the link and the lifeform WAS found on earth...I thought the OP was trying to be funny or someshit. If that case damn, everything we learned about bio could have been wrong.

http://kevinshanklin.com/ IF YOU HAVE A FFFOUND.COM INVITE MSG ME

December 2, 2010 @ 10:37 AM
tonysteak

I figured this new discovery they made was about aliens. still crazy nonetheless...who knows what else is out there?

www.twitter.com/tonysteak

December 2, 2010 @ 10:48 AM
nadu

tldr;dgaf
December 2, 2010 @ 11:10 AM
young idiot

i learned from evolution the movie that arsenic is bad. that is all.
December 2, 2010 @ 11:12 AM
ReZ

somebody call will smith
December 2, 2010 @ 11:40 AM
glennboy

lol

Live Life // Get Mo Money

December 2, 2010 @ 11:42 AM
GucciTarantino

Fuckin' insane
December 2, 2010 @ 11:47 AM
Knives

Now all they have to do is find Jesus.

https://twitter.com/Animall_Mother

December 2, 2010 @ 11:50 AM
STI Guy

dont have my contacts on so i read the title as "nasa found asians in cali."
December 2, 2010 @ 01:07 PM
goldANDsacks

i learned from evolution the movie that arsenic is bad. that is all.

haha that was the first thing i thought of too. get those bottles of Head and Shoulders ready!

I figured this new discovery they made was about aliens. still crazy nonetheless...who knows what else is out there?

depending on your definition, these could be considered aliens as they are fundamentally different that all other living creatures on earth. also it has strong implications that there could be life on other planets b/c it changes the conditions on what we once considered to be "life-sustainable"

anyways, i'm at work and my work computer can't stream the press conference, so i'll read about it later.

here's some more details as of now from NASA.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/astrobiology_toxic_chemical.html

maybe they can use these bacteria to fight chemicals that we couldn't before? or produce chemicals we couldn't before? i dunno.

either way, kids who are taking high school biology, go ahead and tear your textbooks to shreds and tell your teachers that everything in there is a lie.
December 2, 2010 @ 01:43 PM
soap

no gods no masters
December 2, 2010 @ 01:48 PM
k-nock k-nock

December 2, 2010 @ 01:51 PM
bobby

Swag
December 2, 2010 @ 02:02 PM
Auguste

apparently it isn't "new" life/alien, just trained to use arsenic instead. Still pretty cool how it was able to replace P with As. Source.

I had taken the words out of his mouth and filled it with fart.

December 2, 2010 @ 02:42 PM
goldANDsacks

apparently it isn't "new" life/alien, just trained to use arsenic instead. Still pretty cool how it was able to replace P with As. Source.

that's the crazy part though. According to existing biological theory, that shouldn't be possible.

it's not "just" a swap out of elements like its t-shirt or something. its swapping out an essential element of life for an element that's anti-life (poison).

its like if they found a guy who could live off of eating/drinking nothing but motor oil. "oh, he just swapped out water for oil. still cool though"

he should not be alive.

only its not just that... he also turned the 70% of his body that was water into oil.

if theory says that all humans are made of 70% water and this guy were to exist, then either A) this guy is not a human but something new/"alien" or B) we'd have to change the definition of what a human is.

NOTE: i used the term "alien" as different than "extraterrestrial". this bacteria isn't extraterrestrial, but definitely encourages the idea that extraterrestrial life exists.
December 2, 2010 @ 02:44 PM
Zumin

i believe the big deal here is that scientists discovered that not only can dna be harbored in h2o, it can be harbored in arsenic as well which greatly increases the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

no bigggy
December 2, 2010 @ 03:23 PM
tomee

shits weird man
December 2, 2010 @ 04:04 PM
tallymebanana

they call it "extremophile," sounds like theyre describing me. see we have more in common with them than i thought!
December 2, 2010 @ 04:05 PM
Zumin

they call it "extremophile," sounds like theyre describing me. see we have more in common with them than i thought!

Extremophile- One who gets aroused by extreme things.

Rock on dude. >sad
December 2, 2010 @ 04:11 PM
Auguste

that's the crazy part though. According to existing biological theory, that shouldn't be possible.

it's not "just" a swap out of elements like its t-shirt or something. its swapping out an essential element of life for an element that's anti-life (poison).

its like if they found a guy who could live off of eating/drinking nothing but motor oil. "oh, he just swapped out water for oil. still cool though"

he should not be alive.

only its not just that... he also turned the 70% of his body that was water into oil.

if theory says that all humans are made of 70% water and this guy were to exist, then either A) this guy is not a human but something new/"alien" or B) we'd have to change the definition of what a human is.

NOTE: i used the term "alien" as different than "extraterrestrial". this bacteria isn't extraterrestrial, but definitely encourages the idea that extraterrestrial life exists.

lol yeah I didn't mean to get at you or anything, just thought I'd add that. But I agree with you, switching, for lack of a better term, a fundamental part of life is pretty amazing.

I had taken the words out of his mouth and filled it with fart.

December 5, 2010 @ 01:08 AM
derrick88

bullshit
December 5, 2010 @ 01:13 AM
Food

i guess my 5 on my ap bio test means nothing now

Please login first to reply.