Free Worldwide Shipping
Spend $150 USD or more. Click for details.
June 1, 2010 @ 06:28 PM
Virungă

Yeah, no matter what you'll be happier with money.

It's not everything but no matter if you're a depressed person or someone who's pretty satisfied with life you'll be happier with money. If you're depressed it won't make you too much happier but you'll be happier than if you were depressed and poor.

Maybe you should refer to my thread from a minute ago

hypebeast.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130637&highlight=lottery
June 1, 2010 @ 06:29 PM
Oh Shit Ninjas! MILK, RUN!!!

"Money Can't Buy Love, But Love Can't Buy Shit" - Milk_&crackers, 02/14/98
June 1, 2010 @ 06:31 PM
im_hungry

I don't see how anyone can deny money can bring happiness. It won't make you happy but it can help you get there.

All the kids starving in Africa, idgaf how happy they are to have a meal every other month, would be happier if they were rich. If they had the community and zebras and all that shit they love along side money they would be happier.

Same with anything really. Getting your dick sucked won't make you happy but you'll be a hell of a lot happier than if you were jerking your shit raw and it's going to bring you a lot closer to happiness.

I don't see how you can argue against that.

I actually did see that when you first posted it and...I'll get back to you when I have an argument.
June 1, 2010 @ 06:39 PM
The Main Event

Interesting story, but you can't deny that the guy was being an absolute dumb fuck with his money.
June 1, 2010 @ 06:43 PM
Virungă

I don't see how anyone can deny money can bring happiness. It won't make you happy but it can help you get there.

All the kids starving in Africa, idgaf how happy they are to have a meal every other month, would be happier if they were rich. If they had the community and zebras and all that shit they love along side money they would be happier.

Same with anything really. Getting your dick sucked won't make you happy but you'll be a hell of a lot happier than if you were jerking your shit raw and it's going to bring you a lot closer to happiness.

I don't see how you can argue against that.

I actually did see that when you first posted it and...I'll get back to you when I have an argument.

Respond if you want but this isn't going anywhere as long as you don't realize that not everyone in the world hold uber materialistic values, those starving kids in Africa prolly just wish for rain and a bounty full harvest, while they might enjoy a PS3 with MW2 and an Ethernet connection did you ever stop to think that maybe they get just as much if not more pleasure from just kicking a ball made of plastic bags around a dusty field with there friends??

And this isn't just "Starving Africans" i'm talking about a lot of people even here in the USA are content with just living and don't need or want a boat ton of money.

Interesting story, but you can't deny that the guy was being an absolute dumb fuck with his money.

click the link and read the other, its some pretty funny/interesting stuff
June 1, 2010 @ 06:54 PM
sjem

Its clear from ths responses in this thread that everyone has their own idea of happiness. Money does not buy happiness because happiness is a choice. If you buy something that makes you happy it may appear that money is buying your happiness, but it is still your mental decision to associate happiness with whatever it is you just bought.

Happiness isn't a choice, you can't just flick it on and off like a light. It's more of a generally uncontrollable reaction.
June 1, 2010 @ 06:57 PM
The Main Event

Respond if you want but this isn't going anywhere as long as you don't realize that not everyone in the world hold uber materialistic values, those starving kids in Africa prolly just wish for rain and a bounty full harvest, while they might enjoy a PS3 with MW2 and an Ethernet connection did you ever stop to think that maybe they get just as much if not more pleasure from just kicking a ball made of plastic bags around a dusty field with there friends??

And this isn't just "Starving Africans" i'm talking about a lot of people even here in the USA are content with just living and don't need or want a boat ton of money.

I understand, Western society is extremely materialistic there is no denying that. There is no universal method to being happy, things that may bring joy to some may hold no value to others. For some people having kids is the best part of life, but there also some people that have no desire for children. In general, I do think money can help bring about happiness, it is an instrument one can use to attain happiness. But then there are people who really don't value money or material possessions at all, I mean all the money in the world couldn't make a sterile couple happy if all they wanted were children of their own.
June 1, 2010 @ 06:58 PM
sjem

This. Happiness is also contextual and the way Buttah puts it makes it sound as if to be happy you have to have money which obviously isn't the case.
June 1, 2010 @ 07:09 PM
$KickaPop$

no such thing as happiness; it's only a state of mind. Social norms are in play.
June 1, 2010 @ 08:42 PM
bobby

been had money v. happiness debate.

Money vs. Happiness is really an everlasting debate lol. They all say that spending money will lead to spending more when it comes to a 'want' consumer base instead of a 'need' consumer base. For example one of the articles brought up a situation demonstrating how spending leads to more spending, while being left satisfied only temporarily.

"Even though stuff seldom brings you the satisfaction you expect, you keep returning to the mall and the car dealership in search of more. "When you imagine how much you're going to enjoy a Porsche, what you're imagining is the day you get it," says Gilbert. When your new car loses its ability to make your heart go pitter-patter, he says, you tend to draw the wrong conclusions. Instead of questioning the notion that you can buy happiness on the car lot, you begin to question your choice of car. So you pin your hopes on a new BMW, only to be disappointed again." (from the article off CNN Money)

Although, according to the Gallop pole in the NYTimes article 90% of people with a salary of $250k said they were very happy while only 42% claimed to be very happy with a less than $30k salary. I am somewhat confused though since an AP pole contradicts the Gallop pole claiming that only 48% with a salary of $90k+ are happy.
Anyways, to me, this is a very interesting subject matter. By reading these articles I can tell by experience that buying most of the time leads to wanting the next upgrade. Although, a lot of times I find my self content with what i have lol.
Even though I don't splurge much, after researching this question and reading these articles I have opened up a new perspective on money and what to spend it on.
Some of the articles i read are below.

Bobby J.

www.nytimes.com/2008/04/16/business/16leonhardt.html

www.forbes.com/2006/02/11/money-happiness-consumption_cz_em_money06_0214pursuit.html

berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2003/06/16_money.shtml

money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/moneymag_archive/2006/08/01/8382225/index.htm
June 3, 2010 @ 01:50 AM
SB_Hitikori

man to be honest. for most of us that gotta work 8-12hrs a day.
if i was rich i wouldnt have to work. work is depressing i dont wanna be there i wanna be chilling
so money would buy me happiness lol
June 3, 2010 @ 02:44 AM
Denny Crane

^^
Yeah that's kinda what I was saying with money buys you freedom i.e. freedom from financial constraints. Problem is, most people stop appreciating their priviledges extremely quickly. For example, kids can't wait for school holidays, they appreciate them at first, but soon enough it's just "same old" and they've forgotten about what it was like beforehand. Maybe the most important factor in happiness is improvement/achievement, and this just doesn't happen when all you're doing is throwing paper around.
June 3, 2010 @ 02:58 AM
DUNCAN99

this is a fashion forum. ofcourse most here will think money makes you happy.

its also really situational.

like, a monk who has no worldly possessions can live a life filled with happiness.

but then lets say his mother gets sick needs an expensive operation. the monk can't pay for it, and she dies.

having money in that situation would have lead to his happiness. or at a minimum, having money would have avoided sadness.

not really. the monk is religious so he will be sad for a little while but knows his mom is in a better place. monks care less about earthly things than a regular hypebeast member so you cant compare. its like the kids in africa. you dont know what does or doesnt make them happy.

its all about the state of mind youre in.
June 3, 2010 @ 03:09 AM
dylanjohn

better to be depressed in a nice car, than depressed taking public transport
June 3, 2010 @ 03:09 AM
Denny Crane

its like the kids in africa. you dont know what does or doesnt make them happy.

its all about the state of mind youre in.

Introduce a starving third world kid into a Western consumerist society and they'll fall for it too. Their appreciation of material goods is in proportion to ours, they just don't have a market like the West does.

Depression is depression; either one is the same.
June 3, 2010 @ 03:14 AM
young idiot

Seriously, this. I'd like being miserable rich.
June 3, 2010 @ 04:06 AM
Brandon

Money does not bring happiness. Recently won $26, 000 playing poker (hit a badbeat jackpot) and doesn't really change the way I feel about things at all. Same shit for me but just a heads up for future savings.

My co-worker said to me the day after I won, "You look pretty depressed for a guy that just won $26, 000."
June 3, 2010 @ 05:25 AM
jovilitus

Money does not bring happiness. Recently won $26, 000 playing poker (hit a badbeat jackpot) and doesn't really change the way I feel about things at all. Same shit for me but just a heads up for future savings.

My co-worker said to me the day after I won, "You look pretty depressed for a guy that just won $26, 000."

means your job is taking its toll on you , time to quit .
June 3, 2010 @ 05:35 AM
VANCITY

nahhhhhhhhhhh br0www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9X0hisvncQ

we all need some jelleestone in our lives
June 3, 2010 @ 01:11 PM
Kayv

i agree with virunga. i lived in a third world country alot of my life. life was simple i was happy, less stress. but moving to america added on so much stress so much emphasis put on how big your house is, what kind of car u drive, what ure wearing. its easier to find happiness in urself rather than the things money can buy. but yea.. temporary happiness can be bought but money will never make u content

I have to agree. Money can bail you out of financial problems and/or bring on more financial problems. Rich people are unhappy too, just look at the musical industry and Hollywood. I think the key to happiness is finding it within yourself. If you need someone or something to keep you happy then you're pretty much screwed once you lose that. If you can be happy with yourself no matter what situation you're in than you're good to go. Yeah, Yeah, I know, easier said then done.
June 3, 2010 @ 01:15 PM
faust

money can bring happiness.

/thread.
June 3, 2010 @ 01:53 PM
Super Nintendo Chalmers

quick question: can money bring you happiness when your sadness is unrelated to money? Death of a family member? Divorce? Parenting difficulties?

Can money bring you happiness when it really counts?
June 3, 2010 @ 03:05 PM
Corny Al

Happiness isn't about getting what you want all the time, its about loving what you have. -Asher Roth
June 3, 2010 @ 03:08 PM
$KickaPop$

Dmwalking, To answer number 1, money is involved in all aspects of life.

Death of a family? money can help you cope with the loss by allowing you to forget about it and start living your life again.

Divorce? Money and assets that are monetary valued are split and you want more.

Parenting difficulties? This could be a result of stress from lack of money. Also, money can buy better psychiatrists.

So yes, CREAM.
June 3, 2010 @ 03:10 PM
jovilitus

quick question: can money bring you happiness when your sadness is unrelated to money? Death of a family member? Divorce? Parenting difficulties?

Can money bring you happiness when it really counts?

it might not make you happier but imagine if you have to cope with that when you have money issues .
June 3, 2010 @ 03:11 PM
$KickaPop$

Happiness isn't about getting what you want all the time, its about loving what you have. -Asher Roth

Dumbest quote of all time.
June 3, 2010 @ 03:29 PM
Sarcaustic

Meh, the guy didn't really think this quote through. You love what you want too.
June 3, 2010 @ 03:39 PM
jovilitus

Meh, the guy didn't really think this quote through. You love what you want too.

he is asking people to be contended with what you have .
June 3, 2010 @ 03:42 PM
Sarcaustic

he is asking people to be contended with what you have .

Right. So don't you "have" things that you keep buying? The guy just left his quote with a big loophole. That's all.
June 3, 2010 @ 03:44 PM
jovilitus

Right. So don't you "have" things that you keep buying? The guy just left his quote with a big loophole. That's all.

haha , thats why i can never be happy w/o money

Please login first to reply.